Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Is this true? Please let this be true.

yeah you can see his name on the movie posters

Sancho posted:

I've left several quickplay matches on xbox one without penalty. Not sure what triggers it.

i don't think it takes effect until you start doing it a bunch in a short time frame, and then it's just an exp penalty.

you can leave safely i think once the :potg: starts, and you can leave at the start of the match during the initial hero select countdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sancho posted:

I've left several quickplay matches on xbox one without penalty. Not sure what triggers it.

I'm not sure of the exact number, but you basically have an allowance of games that depletes as you leave them and refills over time. If you deplete your allowance, you get a 50% EXP penalty for a period of time.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah with queue times being as long as 15 seconds someone leaving the match warrants a ban imo.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ddraig posted:

TIL that the Payload in Hollywood actually has a guy inside it who comments on the match.

When you wipe the enemy team on point A he'll sometimes say "..Hello? Anyone out there?"

poo poo is that who i keep hearing say some line about not hiring b/c of acting ability

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

Shields really should have a universal damage gate property. As long as you have some amount of shields, any damaging attack that would destroy the shield won't transfer over to health.

This would make Symmys an actual team counter to Widow/Hanzo. And Zen would take minimum two shots from Widow.

Widow can pop off another shot with basically no delay though, so being able to survive one shot from her isn't much help if you're a slow target with no mobility like Symmetra and Zen are. Also, it'd make Zarya ridiculous, since she can already eat one big burst with her shield ability.

NTRabbit posted:

If my steaming shitpile of a team is forcing me to play support when I don't want to because no one else will, and even then refuse to change away from two tracers and two snipers that are getting curb stomped rapidly, then I'm quitting the battle regardless of penalty.

If your team is poo poo then just don't play support. It's not like Tracers and snipers derive any meaningful benefit from having a Mercy stapled to their dumb asses, so why bother? Go out and kill some mans, have some fun.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Don't be the bad medic in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqBbaa0pisc

She could have literally killed me with a single shot but decided to keep on healing the Reinhardt behind his shield.

Reinhardt isn't a priority healing target, he's got a huge loving shield. Don't heal Roadhog either unless he really needs it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

If you don't want to actually play support, then just play S76. He gives decent enough healing to keep people from having to fight over health packs too much.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Is this true? Please let this be true.

Yep.

He's on a poster or two in the level:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

If my steaming shitpile of a team is forcing me to play support when I don't want to because no one else will, and even then refuse to change away from two tracers and two snipers that are getting curb stomped rapidly, then I'm quitting the battle regardless of penalty.

This means you're going to get rolled in like 2 minutes anyway and it's also an opportunity to mess around with that class you are terrible with/have no idea how to play.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

GlitchThief posted:

I think the punishment should be more severe.

Nah.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I join a game and start thoughtfully musing about who to play this time. I click someone, think about it, check the team build (weird, everyone has a pick already, usually at least 2 hold out until the timer runs out). So I switch to another char, then decide to wait a bit before committing as I see people change again... then I notice the kill spam in the top right and realize it dumped me into an in progress game again. So I hit go and walk out the door just in time to see the enemy finish delivering the payload. DEFEAT and a tiny chunk of xp. Good times.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

bagrada posted:

I join a game and start thoughtfully musing about who to play this time. I click someone, think about it, check the team build (weird, everyone has a pick already, usually at least 2 hold out until the timer runs out). So I switch to another char, then decide to wait a bit before committing as I see people change again... then I notice the kill spam in the top right and realize it dumped me into an in progress game again. So I hit go and walk out the door just in time to see the enemy finish delivering the payload. DEFEAT and a tiny chunk of xp. Good times.

At least they're changing heroes. :downs:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Papercut posted:

This means you're going to get rolled in like 2 minutes anyway and it's also an opportunity to mess around with that class you are terrible with/have no idea how to play.

That achieves nothing, because one out in a class I'm bad at, because my team is constantly dead - and without a support - will leave me equally dead anyway. Wasting time I could be spending finding a team that at least gets composition.

I don't care if my team loses because we're not very good, but I do care if my team loses because it refuses to change heroes to make a useful team comp (outside of comedy setups), and I'm not going to stick around to fuel their all-widowmaker all the time gameplay.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 25, 2016

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I'd like to see some sort of limited random mode, where only the first or first two pickers can use random heroes.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Widow can pop off another shot with basically no delay though, so being able to survive one shot from her isn't much help if you're a slow target with no mobility like Symmetra and Zen are. Also, it'd make Zarya ridiculous, since she can already eat one big burst with her shield ability.
For shield-gating,
-Zarya isn't exactly topping the charts as DPS or Tank, a small boost to her survival could put her in the competitive rank, the majority of classes wouldn't notice it against her since it primarily affects 'high damage with slow followup' classes.

As for Zen, requiring a follow-up shot to kill him would make all the difference in the world. He's designed for corner sniping as far away as possible, so the ideal is he would be already back in cover by the time Widow attempts the followup.

Shield-Gating would have almost zero-effect on a lot of the classes since they are usually rapid/medium fire weapons anyways. It would just give a slight boost to some weaker classes and give Symetra a better role as support.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 25, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Sometimes its really hard for me to figure out who to switch to. I realize that whatever we're doing isn't working but I can't always figure out who would be the best hero to counter the problems we're facing.

That and a lot of times my team tends to not want to change things up, I'm all for switching heroes but my teammates... yeesh.

LOOKING AT YOU TEN!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus if you go take a leak in between rounds it kicks you for being inactive, that freakin sucks. It should give you another 30 seconds at least :mad:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Thor-Stryker posted:

For shield-gating,
-Zarya isn't exactly topping the charts as DPS or Tank, a small boost to her survival could put her in the competitive rank, the majority of classes wouldn't notice it against her since it primarily affects 'high damage with slow followup' classes.

As for Zen, requiring a follow-up shot to kill him would make all the difference in the world. He's designed for corner sniping as far away as possible, so the ideal is he would be already back in cover by the time Widow attempts the followup.

Shield-Gating would have almost zero-effect on a lot of the classes since they are usually rapid/medium fire weapons anyways. It would just give a slight boost to some weaker classes and give Symetra a better role as support.

Do you not see how unbelievably overpowered that would be? Symmetra would put permanent Zarya shield bubble on every single hero on their team, which also automatically recharges itself to boot.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

GlitchThief posted:

I think they should allow you to leave as long as they keep throwing you into games already in progress. Especially when your team is 30 seconds from losing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jastiger posted:

Jesus if you go take a leak in between rounds it kicks you for being inactive, that freakin sucks. It should give you another 30 seconds at least :mad:

A longer AFK timer maybe but definitely not a longer setup time. It takes seconds to set up stuff on the defensive side, there isn't a TF2 engineer trying to put up a level 3 sentry and sprinting around the map for the entire minute. A minute thirty to pick characters is way too long

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Microwaves Mom posted:

I think they should allow you to leave as long as they keep throwing you into games already in progress. Especially when your team is 30 seconds from losing.

You do get an XP bonus for getting thrown into a match right before it ends and sticking it out though, which is nice. Maybe they should bump it a little.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Knifegrab posted:

Sometimes its really hard for me to figure out who to switch to. I realize that whatever we're doing isn't working but I can't always figure out who would be the best hero to counter the problems we're facing.

That and a lot of times my team tends to not want to change things up, I'm all for switching heroes but my teammates... yeesh.

LOOKING AT YOU TEN!

I have the exact problem -- paralysis at the hero screen when the team really needs to switch things up, but this is only when I'm grouped with several other people. If solo queue, and the team's having trouble, I many times find it best just to stick with the same hero and hope things work out for the best. :shepface:

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Zaphod42 posted:

You do get an XP bonus for getting thrown into a match right before it ends and sticking it out though, which is nice. Maybe they should bump it a little.

Losing hurts my MMR. That is not good as it means you get thrown further into the pit of COD players who don't do objectives. Probably the reason why someone left that team in the first place.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Microwaves Mom posted:

Yes, this would be a suitable penalty.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

A longer AFK timer maybe but definitely not a longer setup time. It takes seconds to set up stuff on the defensive side, there isn't a TF2 engineer trying to put up a level 3 sentry and sprinting around the map for the entire minute. A minute thirty to pick characters is way too long

Yeah just a longer AFK penalty. IF you get booted for AFK your group continues without you and you can't rejoin. Talk about the suck.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Theres no rating and the games are like 10m long. Meh on leaver deterences.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Microwaves Mom posted:

Losing hurts my MMR. That is not good as it means you get thrown further into the pit of COD players who don't do objectives. Probably the reason why someone left that team in the first place.

What if you enjoy pubstomping. What if that is the only way you can get it up

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
When is the time you can leave a match and still earn any XP from the map?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This is who I am and who I strive to be.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I want some way to avoid certain maps. Like...actually I want to avoid that the Hanamura type objective maps, whatever that mode is called entirely. Payload and KotH I like, that? Not so much the point capture maps. Hanamura has an annoying as hell chokepoint right at the start and while payloads end up with the objective right near the enemy spawn you have a mobile chunk of cover, healing source and the range the enemy can block capture in is smaller.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Rirse posted:

When is the time you can leave a match and still earn any XP from the map?

Not til after the objective is completed

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What are you playing that gives you that satisfaction? I'm usually Lucio and Reinhardt or characters similar to that so I just feel awful as I rely on people sticking together or near me.

To me its more like my penis is shrinking and shrinking every time i play those heroes in pubs.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

Not til after the objective is completed

So Victory / Defeat is a good spot then?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Raskolnikov posted:

So Victory / Defeat is a good spot then?

Yeah any time from Victory to after the warmup period of the next match should be fine I think?

I usually leave during the voting.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

Do you not see how unbelievably overpowered that would be? Symmetra would put permanent Zarya shield bubble on every single hero on their team, which also automatically recharges itself to boot.

Re: shieldchat - I'm pretty sure Zarya/Winston/Rein shields already have a shield gate mechanic.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tracer can have a dialogue with Tracer if there's two of them at the start of the round :allears:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

This is who I am and who I strive to be.

Knowing and loving yourself is the first step towards gazing into the iris.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Microwaves Mom posted:

What are you playing that gives you that satisfaction? I'm usually Lucio and Reinhardt or characters similar to that so I just feel awful as I rely on people sticking together or near me.

To me its more like my penis is shrinking and shrinking every time i play those heroes in pubs.

I was just kidding, life is pain because I too enjoy playing team support classes. I think I might be the most aggressive Reinhardt in the game because of all the times when I am alone on the cart.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlitchThief posted:

As a guy who hardly plays multiplayer as much as they used to due to legitimate interruptions, games with draconian leaver policies sadden me and basically kill my desire to play because Murphy law means the greater odds it will be poorly timed, the greater odds you will be interrupted right then and there. Even when I do get frustrated at 3/4 of a team abandoning ship for the third time in a match in viddy games.

Even playing Darksouls or other "Playing alone but can't pause" gets me with Murphy's law there. "Okay, I either nail this pluging attack or redo the front half of Archdragon peak minutes to work through." *Leaps off cliff right as reality immediately demands my attention* "Wow what were the odds of that happening at that exact second, rather than any countless moments I could have calmly let the game sit? Basically 99%"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Slime posted:

Hanamura has an annoying as hell chokepoint right at the start and while payloads end up with the objective right near the enemy spawn you have a mobile chunk of cover, healing source and the range the enemy can block capture in is smaller.

whaaa???