Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

That Sojourn skin owns so hard. That D.Va one too. Ghost in the Shell Kiriko :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kirko's kit

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kiriko is an immediate unlock for current OW players who claim the free founders pack at least...or am I reading that wrong?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

adhuin posted:

Yes, but future heroes will either unlock by paying for Premium pass, play free battle pass to lvl 55 or after the season you can purchase it with the new currency.

Right yeah, I knew that. Just wasn't sure about the wording wrt Kiriko being an immediate unlock for current OW players. But lol, the next hero release is gonna be interesting. Playing on a team with a player who hasn't unlocked the new and likely broken hero yet but the other team does sounds lovely lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mukaikubo posted:

I think I know the answer but I've been completely checked out of this trash fire for months: have they even bothered throwing a scrap of info to the people who wanted a PVE mode or is that still kinda being stealthily drowned in the bathtub

Just that it's coming in 2023. That's it so far, lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mukaikubo posted:

"2023", eh? Hah. Alright then.

Any FPSs out there that scratch the same kind of FPS-MOBA'y itch that I didn't know I had before OW came out in 2016? Everything I've seen of OW2's gameplay does not enthuse me at all, I'm not really interested in low-time-to-kill hard focus on the FPS half of Overwatch. I really liked the slower, more tactical and ability-focused fights that existed Back In My Day :corsair: Nothing I've seen is in that lane.

Valorant?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

So if I haven't played Overwatch since last year, do I still get the freebies or what?

So long as you login during Season 1, you should get the free stuff from the founder's pack.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hero monetization aside, how was the beta mechanically? The big issues I recall from the end of OW1 was balancing the TTK on tanks (making a tank vulnerable while being healed leads to them being deleted when not being healed?) And too many barriers? Do I have that right? How is that now?

It's 5 heroes per side? I main healer, will my Brigitte be the only healer on the team and will I be despised for it?

Matches feel more arcade-y/deathmatch-y imo. Brigitte seems like a good pick still.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

adhuin posted:

1st battle pass (worth 10 real money), 2000 BlizzBucks (worth 20 real money) and 2 exclusive skins.
Technically there's Overwatch 1 collectors edition there too with 10 OW1 skins that came with it.
Not that good deal, unless you really want those skins.

It also gave early/guaranteed access to the previous beta. That value counts!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mcbexx posted:

Edit:

That's oddly specific.

It's obviously worded specific in the event they want to increase the price of the BP after season 3.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks I wasn’t sure if it was something I’d have to log in now for.

Nah, you "claimed" it if you owned the game before June 2022 and log in any time before the Season 1 battle pass for OW2 ends.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I sucked with Ana anyways.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I never forced myself to play Ana if I had to. This is part of why I was hardstuck high plat/diamond, probably. Lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Stylosa has broken it down and it turns out you'll only have 540 coins if you do all of the battlepass, which isn't enough to buy a battlepass. So battlepass will always have a cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW_rleH7sQM

The tldr is that you have to pay at least $30 per year for all the battlepasses even with grinding for coins. More if you don't grind.

At least they sell a 500 coiner pack for $5. So... grind to get the 540 coins from the BP, then drop another $5 of real monies to get the next one. Ehhh, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

Just want to confirm, have they said what the coins in OW1 will translate to? Will it not work on anything OW2 related? tried reading their OW2 Battle Pass explainer but it didn't really say.

Also what about OWL coins?

quote:

Original Overwatch Credits will carry over into Overwatch 2 for players to use in the hero gallery on core launch cosmetics for new heroes. For example, each of Kiriko, Junker Queen, and Sojourn have 2 legendary, 1 epic, and a few rare skins available to purchase with either Credits or the new Coins. In addition, original Overwatch Credits can be used to buy other always-available items in the Hero Gallery for the 32 original heroes and some launch items in new cosmetic classes (for example 5 new Weapon Charms) as well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Zarya has sorely needed a Vasquez skin since launch.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I wonder if they'll add 6v6 as an arcade game mode, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

adhuin posted:

Imagine being Plat DPS on OW1, waiting 30 minutes for a match and then getting a leaver/thrower or otherwise bad match?

I don't have to imagine it. I've lived it. ~90 hours of competitive play was enough for me to take in. I have zero interest in the ranked experience anymore as a result, lol. I might dive back into competitive for OW2, but ehhhh, I have so much more fun loving around in arcade modes if my stack isn't around for QP.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Anyways, is it still fun to play as Junkrat/Roadhog/Mercy in OW2, at least? Those are my main picks for each of the class roles in OW1.

They keep loving with Mercy's superjump mechanic and I'm not sure which implementation is going to be in the game on Oct 4th, but otherwise, she's about as fun as she was in OW1 imo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hanzo and Genji are also based off samurai and ninja archetypes who use a longbow and katana/ninja stars respectively, so that argument of Kiriko being some ninja priestess who uses kunai and talismans is dumb. Especially so since apparently her lore is intertwined with the Shimada bros. Her kit is clearly influenced by NINJA VANISH! poo poo too, so I dunno. Those arguments are weak imo.

[edit] Hammond's lore is tied to Winstons, right? What else is there to know? Lmao. I do want to hear of his exploits in the wasteland though. Is he like the Junker Queen's top advisor? Lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 19, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Doin' triage for my team as Mercy while juking fools on the enemy team with GA shenanigans is still -- and will probably always be -- super fun for me. Really excited to mess around with Kiriko's kit. Wall running and "TP get the gently caress outta dodge" sounds fun as a support.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Lucio players are always having fun. They're basically playing a different game entirely. It's really a blessed existence

This is true and why I have the most hours on him, lol.

[edit] I think most of my time playing the OW2 beta I was on Bap because his rework was really good, and familiarizing myself with JQ in the recent beta to get better at the tank role for my 3 stack (since the other 2 don't play anything else other than DPS or heals).

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 19, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wheeee posted:

people who like role queue are why overwatch is bad

for a brief beautiful moment in time it looked like blizzard Got It with the implementation of 1-3-2 as a first step, then almost immediately removed the best gameplay change they had made since release due to shrieking freaks who want an fps with no s

someone mentioned hammer guy earlier and yea, hammer guy and his shield are the original big problem with overwatch, along with mace and shield gal and every other gameplay flow breaking shield that only exists to slow the game down until a team can press Q for a big ol’ dopamine hit

quick play and competitive queue times are beyond unreasonable and always will be because surprise, most people playing an fps want to play a shooty character. today in TYOOL 2022 there’s people in this thread complaining about dps players as if it’s the hanzo or mccree main’s fault blizzard couldn’t figure out a design direction for the game, and if you were one of the people who whined about 1-3-2 then you are in fact part of the problem

ow1 is fun in arcade modes, you need fuckin brain damage or something to sit through forever queues for ‘main’ mode matches

Lol. I don't like role queue, but I'm not gonna cry about it and say people have brain damage for liking it. That's some silly poo poo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh, so the lore explains why she's the fusion of shrine maiden and kunoichi. Lol at whoever made that silly complaint list.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

adhuin posted:

Lore can be made to tell anything though.

"She's from a family of ninjas, but has a part-time job at a local Grill. That's why she uses a stash of burgers to heal friends."

Well yeah, lol. But the complaint posted ITT specifically targeted Kiriko's design being an amalgamation of a ninja and shrine maiden.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, Kiriko looks fun as hell lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zPigt9cUxc

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ignorance is bliss. Hide the chat box, mute voice, and play whatever the gently caress you want. If you lose, carry harder next time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Just play mystery heroes, it's that simple.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

this but put a hard cap on torbs because trying to mh into three torbs isn't wacky fun it's just boring

Part of what makes MH gratifying is being able to break silly comps like that and then calling out the other team for not being able to win with 3 torbs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mystery heroes but you still role queue.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If you already own OW and log in before the Season 1 battle pass ends, you get Kiriko for free.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

the average ladder player is gold and if you took the entire player population the average would probably equate to silver or bronze level

Still too generous imo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Having to unlock base game features over the course of ~100 matches for new players sounds sooooooooo shiiiiitttttyyyy. Yeesh. What a crap model.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

:negative:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I am pretty ok with the competitive ranking system changes, and might even go back to it now!

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 28, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

adhuin posted:

Teleport is an obvious nerf target.
Other one is her kunais. Remove triple damage and raise base damage slightly. Healer shouldn't be able to doubletap dps/healers.

I watched some footage of ML7 playing Kiriko and yeah, teleport probably first thing to get patched lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Father Wendigo posted:

The F2P unlock system looks like every detail from the initial cocktail napkin pitch was taken as sacred gospel when it was meant to be iterated out.

Junkrat, one of the most braindead simple classes to play, is less of a priority to get into the hands of new players than Ana and Widowmaker.

https://www.pcgamer.com/i-played-overwatch-2-on-a-new-account-and-the-hero-grind-sucks/

Lol at the DPS selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Countblanc posted:

I don't see an option to preload OW2, just OW1 and the OW2 beta (which I still have installed). Is the latter what I need?

Uninstall the beta. On OW, select 'check for updates' under the gear icon. It'll say in green text that you've preloaded pre-release content under the play button after the DL finishes.