Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

https://gfycat.com/AnnualDistinctFox

When it rains it pours, except when it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

I played Soldier 76 for the majority of my time, but have been trying to branch out because I don't want to be one of those people with dozens of hours on one character and less than an hour on every other. I did finally play against a career Genji who was actually good, which was weird. Once in a while when I play with an insta-lock Genji, I'll look them up afterward and see the same 1,000:1 ratio of hours I usually see, with a sub-40% win:loss record.

Last night I had a terrible Genji on my team that was level 300+ and when I looked at his stats expecting to see what you describe his Genji time was actually... 12 minutes.

115 hours on Lucio though.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Xaris posted:

So has anyone (e: with a job) even come close to being able to buy a golden gun? 300 points, given an avg 50/50 winrate is 600 games and since comp matches take a lot longer to count as a win (playing both a/d + repeats + sudden death or best of 5), it seems like it'll take an insane load of time to even get one. I suppose there's still a month to go but god drat.

Or maybe I just wish I was 15 again :(

Tigole posted:

Re: Golden Guns... They are kind of expensive. But remember, at the end of a season players will get a lump sum of Competitive Points. The 1 point per win is not how we expect you to be earning these guns. Currently, this is tuned so that the top players should outright get a golden gun at the end of the season while the rest of us might work our way part of the way there.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745774574#post-6

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, that fits. Tracer's voice actor is British but I remember an old article where she said the producers kept asking her to make her accent more and more terrible. It just occurred to me that the only accents they don't exaggerate are the Chinese/Japanese/Indian ones, but that feels like the kind of observation you'd find on Reddit.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

How about these character redesigns:

https://twitter.com/arvalis/status/1558623545374023680

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Did Blizzard lose artists prior to Overwatch’s release or something? Because that reddit pic touches on the reality that all of Overwatch’s really well-imagined and memorable characters come from the release window, Sombra was the last great one.

If I recall correctly (and I'm probably mixing things up) a lot of the original characters were NPCs from the MMO except they had actual names. The one example I remember is that Tracer was actually a character class name, not an actual character, and I think the same was true for Reaper. If most of them were designed by the original MMO team before it blew up and they salvaged the wreckage then staff turnover could easily explain the difference.

I think every Blizzard team shares the same art pipeline, at least when it comes to their animators (and maybe concept artists). I think that was one of the reasons given for the WoW model revamp from WoD taking so long, because they wanted to put their best artists on it but they had to wait in line. I also remember stuff about HotS having a few animators that did a handful of heroes each but they also worked on other games in between releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Role queue was an admission that the game's design is fundamentally flawed. Overwatch reminds me of how one of the pillars of WoW's initial success was Blizzard's regard for the sanctity of the individual, particularly with the way they ensured you could play a multiplayer game as a singleplayer one if you chose to. In WoW you could go from 1-60 by yourself without joining a single group, and they went out of their way to make sure you could play the game the way you wanted to every time you logged on.

And just like how in WoW you can play as though other people don't exist, Overwatch has some very deliberate design choices to encourage players to stick around regardless of how well the game is going, such as not having a scoreboard so you can't tell if you're doing badly, or making the core gameplay loop so reliant on teamwork that it always feels like everyone else is doing it wrong and you're not to blame. And then there's the slowly-charging ult meter which guarantees that every couple of minutes or so you can get a big dopamine hit and feel like a winner, at least for a moment.

Roles are appealing to Blizzard because they attract people looking for different game experiences in the same way that classes do (which Overwatch also has, since each character is essentially a different class) and the number one design goal for OW was to make a prolific game. It feels almost cynical, like they want to retain all the people interested in playing tank and support along with all of the DPS players, but they either aren't willing or don't realize that if they offered a better game experience to everyone they'd attract even more players in total.

So Blizzard ended up drawing in all the players and then spent the next five years trying to work out how to make their role-based game good, and in the end they failed because it isn't possible without a complete redesign. It's been said a million times before but I do think the only reason the game ever retained as many players as it did is because of its phenomenally good art and sound direction. People love the feeling of playing Overwatch even if they don't actually enjoy the experience itself, so it's not surprising at all that the wacky game modes are the only fun ones. If they removed roles it would be a very different game, but how many people would continue to play it? Probably most of them.