Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Modguy posted:

Blizzard tried to do EXACTLY this in 2010. The rage and Bawwing was incredible. They wont attempt it again.

sorry but i'd rather not give more tools to angry 15 year olds to swat and doxx people with lady voices or who have the audacity to put a smiley face in chat after they get a flashbang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Buckwheat Sings posted:

He can flash nade before Roadhog can combo. It's instant at close range if he hammers the button. It actually was a big discussion in here during beta about it. And two full gun combos into Roadhog's huge hitbox frame will kill at close range.

it's not that simple - roadhog's hook has a fixed (very short) stun duration, meaning that getting hooked from 2-3 character distances away you probably won't be able to flashbang before he meatshots you. a long-range hook will definitely have the stun wear off before he can kill you though, and in that case yeah you can flashbang.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
you arent allowed to mod games anymore, it's against the law

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you're getting a lot of M1 kills as Symmetra then one of the following is true:

a) Your team is making GBS threads on the other team
b) People are ignoring you for some reason (see A)
c) It was something of a fluke, sometimes the stars just align for stuff like this

Most of your damage is going to come from turrets and M2 because your job isn't to kill, it's to enable killing while you build ult as quickly as possible. I definitely get kills with M1 sometimes but the only time I ever feel that it's actually the best option is when there's people right in your face (ie team fight on the capture point) where charging an M2 isn't viable. Even then you should probably only be doing this when you already have a tele up or you know your team will win the engagement with you alive since dying as Symmetra is a big buzzkill.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if you're dying to dva's ult with any regularity you probably aren't equipped to say what is or is not going to be nerfed (junkrat's tire is not going to be nerfed short of like, serendipitous buffs/nerfs to other characters suddenly making it really good for some reason)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheKingofSprings posted:

How does McCree's ult work?

It's a channeled ability where the longer you hold it the more damage it does. It automatically locks onto people within the field but if they break line of sight before you release it you won't hit them.

For more specifics here's the McCree page on OW Infinity (which I encourage everyone chweck out sometime): http://www.owinfinity.com/en/hero/mccree/

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

teagone posted:

Anyone else who watched pro competitive OW the past two days, what did you think about new scoring system they used for the tourney? I think I liked it. I also wonder if the single hero rule on KOTH maps is going to become tournament standard.

Do you have a link to the ruleset? I clicked a recording but couldn't infer any changes from regular stopwatch at a glance and I don't have time to watch more than a few minutes right now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Thank you very much. The one question I have is, does it always go to BO3, and if not, what determines if you go to the third map? Like if team A gets 3 points on maps 1 and 2 and team B gets 2 points on map 1 and 2 for a total of 6 and 4 respectively, does team A win or do they still go to the KotH map? Is KotH only busted out for tiebreakers?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Winston's strength in comp is that he does damage in a cone, meaning he fucks up other characters popular in comp (low HP, highly mobile heroes). He's exceptionally weak against the other tanks. His bubbles also provide a good "dividing wall" during initiation, where he can leap in and drop it, effectively cutting off the opposing team's sightlines for precious few seconds and letting your team walk forward. Obviously this requires some amount of coordination to really get going, and Winston himself doesn't invite people to gather around him like Reinhardt does.

e: Which isn't to say he's awful without coordination, but I feel he falls off faster than the other tanks once you hit that "people are decent at DMing but are still solo/duo queueing so there isn't a lot of deliberate planning going on" level of matchmaking.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Knifegrab posted:

Whats a good counter to an all roadhog team?

Two reinhardts, a bastion, a mercy, a zenyatta, and a widowmaker.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
76 digests torbjorn turrets and torb himself if he doesn't get in a good meatshot or leftclick headshot

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ddraig posted:

Pro D.Va strats right here. This should be in the OP.

e: Also, I really feel if you kill Mercy while the people being resurrected are yellow, it should cancel the ult. Right now it just seems like a get out of jail free card, where the entire team hosed up, and they now get a do-over because Mercy can stand in the middle of the lot and press Q

Ideally as a mercy you're never entering the rez animation anyway since you can use it mid-flight and that removes the animation. Or at the very least using it behind a wall.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mokhu posted:

What's the max account level one can reach?

Also, when I hook with Roadhog, do I M1 or M2 for max headshot damage?

Some absurdly high number, like 2500+. But it's a prestige system, whenever you reach 100 it resets to 1 and you get a different colored/decorated border.

Roadhogs M2 is exclusively a ranged tool, it does a measly 50 damage unless it travels a certain distance, then the projectile explodes and basically becomes a ranged shotgun blast. The M1 is, well, a shotgun, and designed to be used when enemies are in your grill (ie. After hooking them)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

immortal flow posted:

Why does Roadhog in particular feed ult? Do you build more charge by damaging HP rather than Armour or Shields?

His defensive mechanics are "self heal" and "have lots of hp," meaning he isn't mitigating damage, just absorbing it. Armor doesn't give less ult technically if you're doing the same amount of damage, but it mitigates damage which means yes you build ult slower against people who still have armor left. Mostly it's having no damage mitigation tools though, like Reinhardt shield or Zarya bubbles, since those flat out stymie ult gain.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
just got bopped by the seagull brigade but we still did pretty good so good poo poo me

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Has anyone else had a thing happen where the game keeps moving them from a skirmish into another skirmish, sometimes 7+ times in a row? I've had it happen a lot the last two days and I have no idea why it's happening or how to fix it. half the time it reinstances me before I even pick a character

e: it usually says something like "not enough players, finding new game" but we never got a game in the first place

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 26, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Your Computer posted:

It's bugged and your best bet is to turn off skirmishing for now. I've had it happen a bunch the last two days and it happened to A_Seagull on stream earlier too.

Alright, thank you

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

flashman posted:

How do I get the stats board or whatever up so I can see my team/enemy team kills and poo poo like that?

assuming you mean the kill feed, it's somewhere in the options menu.

if you mean an actual scoreboard, well, i have bad news friend

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

flashman posted:

I've got the killfeed I mean a score board where you see eliminations and deaths and poo poo like that. It's hard to tell who I need to switch for or who I can replace on my team with just a general thought on how the game is going.

well too bad, because Toxicity

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if in-game awareness is enough to tell who is bad, why is it bad to have a scoreboard since people can apparently divine who to bm anyway

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Internet Kraken posted:

Why do people not take the teleporter :psyduck:

In TF2 you had loving waiting lines for the teleporter because everyone refused to walk. Now everyone can barrel through it and they all ignore it in favor of the half minute hike back to the point.

i dont take it if the point isn't being actively fought over or is about to be fought over. i also consider how many charges are left - if there's one i'll probably take it regardless so my symmetra can start building another

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

flashman posted:

People are going to get mad regardless if theres a scoreboard or not, it'll just be at poo poo like someone picking widowmaker or DVA, or someone messing up an easily visible skill like an ice wall. At least they didn't take away all chat from this thing like HOTS or Hearthstone..

People get mad basically arbitrarily, when I was playing Paladins this last week it was pretty common for the person who did the worst to just offer "sigh..." and "shoot them!!" any time we'd lose a round because there was no way to confirm how well/poorly someone was doing until the post-game scoreboard. I had games where my friend and I would have 80%+ of the team's damage and there were still people getting fussy. People are just salty when they lose and are really bad at being introspective.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Aranan posted:

All the streamers I've found are killing it with the offensive heroes. Does anyone stream support or tanks? I want to see a Zarya or Zenyatta tearing it up.

Renbot streams Reinhardt, Pyyyour streams, uh well whatever he feels like but he mains support in comp and plays it often enough on his stream + answers questions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Shayed_ also streams support but her stream is more a place to hang out than actually learn from watching since she has a lot of bad habits from near-exclusively pocketing seagull

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Papercut posted:

And Renbot plays basically nothing but Rein from what I've seen:
https://www.twitch.tv/renbotow/

He's streaming some sort of competitive play right now and it's very entertaining.

pretty sure it's a scrim based on them using such unorthodox comps

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i think i've seen maybe 1 bastion potg in the last 48 hours of play. its almost always mccree, mercy, or widow for me

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i FINALLY got a non-environmental kill potg as Lucio today, ulted to start a push, speed boosted into a widow and killed her, then headshot an ulting mccree to kill him. the loving dream

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
theres plenty of good twitch chats, they're just sub-50/100 viewers. you can actually have discussions and talk about the game + strats and it's nice. when you have 1k+ people talking at once you're going to just get people putting as many emotes between words as possible in hopes of making their message larger so 3 people are able to read it instead of none before it scrolls past

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Soothing Vapors posted:

what is the counter to widowmaker anyway? reaper? drinking until the pain is gone?

winston, another widow, genji-ish, tracer if the widow is stupid and never takes high ground

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

other snipersff.

please do not imply that hanzo trades favorably with widow. god bless.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Suspicious Cook posted:

So what's the exact formula for the Roadhog instant kill? Just hook and alt fire headshot? Maybe I just need practice, but it seems inconsistent.

ok so this is going to sound rude but you're the second person who has mentioned this today so, why are people assuming roadhog's M2 has any role in his hook kill combo (aside from the ranged variant for tanks)? does the ingame tool-tip imply that or something? it does 50 damage close range, it's never worth using if your opponent is up in your business.

the combo is hook > M1 > melee. the melee animation cancels the M1 so it comes out very quickly. this won't always instantly kill because hook is weird and often doesn't put people directly in front of you, and different characters have different hitboxes so you have to aim at different parts (sometimes the head is better, othertimes the waist, etc), and some characters have escape options from a long-range hook. still, that's the general idea, so practice that. sometimes its worth not using the melee and just waiting to M1 again since melee only does 30 damage, but again you figure that out as you play - each bar of health represents 25 HP so if they have more than one bar after the M1 you should probably just M1 again.

the M2 variant is M2 > hook > M1 > melee, you use this if your opponent has a lot of health and you can land a proper ranged M2.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
reposting for page ???, if you have any questions whatsoever on how an ability works, hwo much damage something does, how quickly a weapon reloads, or if something has fall-off or can headshot, please use OW Infinity

http://www.owinfinity.com/en/

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tokubetsu posted:

the cure for pain is in the pain

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
mei IS good, she's just not stupid. she's useful on certain points of certain maps at certain times, which is a fine thing for a hero to be in a game with over 20 characters. she's just not going to be a static part of any team's lineup because she requires people to walk into her (ie practically needs to be on defense).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheTatteredKing posted:

Mei is just over shadowed by Mcree as a strong duelist.

Also it's loving stupid the arrow only does 125 but the poo poo scan idiot fucker rifle does 150
arrow charges in .5 seconds, rifle is 1s (which is too fast, but they both are)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

How do you even fix McCree without breaking the game in even worse ways

Would making the flashbang stun inversely proportionate to your max hp even do anything in competitive

Make flashbang's stun duration proportional to how far from the projectile the target is, so a direct hit is the current .7s duration, and the furthest range is like .3 seconds, and have it scale in between obviously. This makes some of the weirder comp stuff less easy/OP, like flashbanging over a rein shield or stunning 2-3 people for almost a second. It'd also just feel a lot less irritating in pub play while also keeping the utility of stunning people out of stuff like ults or bastion siege mode.

You'd probably have to address Tracer a bit too since this would be a pretty notable nerf to Mccree's ability to check her

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

net cafe scandal posted:

Id genuinely like to hear more of your thoughts on balance besides Dva, Widow, and McCree. I feel like attack heroes outside of McCree are in a really good place right now.. hbu?

most of my thoughts are based on comp matches that i've watched because i dont think i have nearly enough hours in this game to make useful balance suggestions purely on my own experiences other than gamefeel (and even that can change as you improve/the meta shifts).

i think a huge improvement to dva both in terms of viability and feel would be stealing Ruckus' guns from Paladins, where M1 fires a single cannon with a more narrow cone that does half as much damage and M2 does her current dual fire.

i don't play widow well so i don't like proposing changes for her but if you twisted my arm i'd probably say to reduce her clip size and give her screen shake. maybe also increase charge rate a bit, like 1.5s for a full charge? her big issue is that she can just wipe a team/kill a push by herself if left alone, and i think screen shake would do a lot to make characters like Lucio able to disrupt her.

mccree see my previous post

oh you said "besides" those heroes whoops uhhHHHH maybe make torbjorn have some reason to be used outside of defense but he's quite good at that so it's not a huge issue. buff symmetra somehow to be useful for situations other than first point, perhaps by nerfing her teleporter and buffing her kit elsewhere. address overtime being lovely. otherwise i love this game!!!!!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

According to this Mei is the worst hero tho

that ranking includes people who switch to characters just to stall the cart at last, which happens quite often on a handful of maps for d.va since she gets to the point quickly and, well, stalls. basically no team runs her out of the gate or for any other reason im aware of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It does 75 damage yeah, like reinhardt. hammers too good