Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

LoG posted:

What's a good counter for Roadhog? Played against a team with 2 and they shut us down.

McCree, Soldier 76, Widowmaker, Zenyatta, Zarya... anyone who can do damage.

Roadhog has a ton of health but he's also very slow, has a huge hitbox, and doesn't have any means of escape if you decide to unload on him. He also feeds ult to the enemy team like nobody else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
TIL that the Payload in Hollywood actually has a guy inside it who comments on the match.

When you wipe the enemy team on point A he'll sometimes say "..Hello? Anyone out there?"

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Kerrrrrrr posted:

his name is Hal-Fred Glitchbot, he is a famous omnic movie director

Is this true? Please let this be true.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Don't be the bad medic in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqBbaa0pisc

She could have literally killed me with a single shot but decided to keep on healing the Reinhardt behind his shield.

Reinhardt isn't a priority healing target, he's got a huge loving shield. Don't heal Roadhog either unless he really needs it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

The cart heals you when you're pushing it.

This makes me suspect you've never pushed the payload.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Does Lucio's upper body have a much smaller hitbox than everyone elses? I can never get a killing shot on him with Roadhog's combo unless I aim downwards. It makes me suspect there's something about his posture/model that makes it so the typical killzone isn't there.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

mcbexx posted:

Just had a Lucio game where I was 93% of the time on fire, died only once or twice while pushing for B on Volskaya Industries, put up 4 or 5 sound barriers on the final push and no one moved in properly or killed the enemies Mercy.

Christ.

Volskaya is the worst map for attack because people dont seem to realize there's three entrances (as there is on every single capture point map) to the final point. The main one, the one on the left that anyone can get to because there's a moving platform, and a third at the right that takes you past the chokepoint.

If I ever get put on a Volskaya map on attack I know it's going to be a gruelling slogfest as nobody pushes.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Section Z posted:

"This place has a lot of rooftops! I'll pick Phara instead of 76 on defense!"

*Discovers someone has lubed up every gentle slope in Mexic."

These sloped roofs are great for Pharah as you can slide along most of them long enough to get your main jump ability back up.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

gnome7 posted:

Probably, yeah. Anubis is a very good map.

Conversely, gently caress Hanamura. That map is so incredibly biased towards the defending team, on both points. On A the entire team has to go through one single choke point within sight of the point, and on B the point is so open its impossible to get to it without the entire defending team being able to see you coming.

Point A really badly needs the side alleys on both the right and left to connect to the buildings on the other side of the big door, and I don't even know what you'd have to do to make point B less unforgiving. It isn't completely insurmountable but it's really rough.

I really enjoy every other map in the game but I am never happy to see Hanamura start loading up, it's always a slog.

On the other hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dDfUk_F3u0

The trick is to play against a team so bad they won't even run back to stop the backcap.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Section Z posted:

Well, yeah. That's why I wish there was MORE of an indicator. Because that's basically nothing unless you're the Terminator or Robocop for giving you some needed depth perception in a firefight. Compared to "Okay, that shot about where it expanded did basically nothing. And THAT shot about where it expanded took out the remaining 3/4 of their health" I've got going at the moment.

Plus, it would give people fighting against Roadpig more of a heads up why their health is suddenly vanishing hard. Against otherwise seemingly Psychic Zarya's, I can put out a lot of hurt without them ever catching a single secondary with their bubble. Small sample size and all that, but that's the impression I get in that situation.

It's just one of those things you learn by instinct once you play Roadhog more.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

cock hero flux posted:

D.va is probably the actual worst character at the moment so I wouldn't worry too much about it. She can't actually tank but unlike Roadhog, the other tank that can't actually tank, she also does no damage and can't kill things. The way to play D.va currently is to fly around and use the fact that you're large and can appear out of nowhere quickly to scare new players who don't realize that your guns are just for display purposes into running away, thus wasting some of their time. Eventually one of them figures it out and decides to try shooting at you and at this point there's basically nothing you can do unless your ult is charged in which case you can kill yourself.

Pro D.Va strats right here. This should be in the OP.

e: Also, I really feel if you kill Mercy while the people being resurrected are yellow, it should cancel the ult. Right now it just seems like a get out of jail free card, where the entire team hosed up, and they now get a do-over because Mercy can stand in the middle of the lot and press Q

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 26, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

MacheteZombie posted:

When playing DVa if you fly in, kill 1-2 people, distract the rest of their team, pop your matrix then fly off while your team picks off the distracted team, you've done your job.

You could say... you bring the chaos?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Got Deadeye, was behind Reinhardt's barrier. Entire enemy team was sort of out in the open. Was about to get a near full wipe when Reinhardt is suddenly distracted by a passing butterfly or something and charges off like a loving idiot and I get murdered horribly.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I swear there's more voice lines and such now than there was in Beta.

I'm pretty sure Zarya's "C'mon, hit me. You know you want to!" is new.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Countblanc posted:

im linking this here so people know not to use it, because basically everything in it is wrong to some degree.

http://imgur.com/a/28GPV

it's a series of character guides and lists effective counters + who characters are strong against, and so few of them are useful that i don't know where to begin. good for a laugh though!

The broad strokes are there. What exactly are you finding objectionable?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Lady Naga posted:

There are so many better ways to use that ult.

e: so, so many.

Which is useful because it's such a rare ult that takes forever to build up you have to treat each one like the precious commodity it is and not get dependable, solid kills against stationary targets who are causing your team trouble. Good call.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Countblanc posted:

1) it provides basically no context. why is bastion good against d.va when Defense Matrix is one of the best defensive tools for enabling your team to approach him? does this mean they're all 1v1?

2) lots of them are just like, wrong? i guess? why is Hanzo good against a character who should never peak chokepoints other than to shoot big M2 balls (symmetra) or zen (who he doesn't bodyshot and who is probably too far from the fight to reliably set up headshots against)? why is lucio, an incredibly mobile character, vulnerable to pharah? just because his projectile means he can't hit her? why are you trying to solo a pharah instead of speed boosting away while she fails to hit a single direct rocket? why isn't every hero in Mccree's "strong against" box? who would ever in their right mind say that mei is good against widow??? there's so many of these.

3) on top of it being flat-out wrong, it contradicts itself kinda. it says genji is a great counter to roadhog, but also that roadhog is great at killing genji. ok those aren't TECHNICALLY opposites but like, come on.

1. Good thing it bills itself as a cheat sheet and not an indepth guide to the game, then!

2. Hanzo is good at low to mid range against low health characters. If you're ever in low to mid range against Symmetra and Zenyatta, then it turns out that rule applies to them. See point 1

3. I'm guessing the guide sort of assumes that each of the heroes you're playing as will be doing their job. A genji doing proper flanking will eat Roadhog because Roadhog will not be expecting you. Likewise, a Roadhog doing his job should always be on the look out for flanking heroes like Genji and once he knows where they are they're hosed. These two are not contradictory in the slightest, as it turns out a hero that has the element of surprise can use that to his advantage, but not if the other person is aware of him, meaning the outcomes of any particularly encounter can shift dramatically depending on who has the better positioning.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
How to beat Mei:

Stick with your team. Turns out she sucks at dealing with anyone other than a single person.

If you want a really, really good comprehensive guide as to any particular heroes strengths or weaknesses, play them for a couple of hours, you'll soon find out they're not actually the murder god that you think they are.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Don't save your ults for that sweet quadra kill moment. Use them as you need them! If your team is having problems with a bastion, ulting him is an easy and quick way to take him down.

And yeah, Roadhog's M1 isn't great against DVa specifically because it shreds armor (small pellets are actually bad for this, see Tracer) but because DVa is Huge and has a central Headshot hitbox so you hit every pellet and almost all of them are headshots, which is crazy.

DVa's headshot hitbox is her biggest weakness tbh. I wonder how strong she would be if they removed the ability to headshot her.

D.Va has the highest health pool in the game (650, 400 of which is armour)

Giving her a smaller headbox would make her most dependable counters pretty bad against her and make her way more powerful than she is. It's the same principle with giving Zenyatta more health, it seems like a common sense solution, but given that he shits out damage himself and is a huge enabler for increased damage among other people, giving him any sort of edge over his counters would tip the balance hugely in one direction. He's already teetering on the edge of being imbalanced and almost gets there when paired up with Symmetra and her shields/flanking counters, but Teamwork is forever OP and that's fair enough.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Bolivar posted:

So why did he go from the most used hero in competitive play to the least used hero in competitive play if he's so great at something-something with a good team?

Because they added LOS to his orbs. Zenyatta was literally overpowered before this as you could place an orb of harmony on your team mate, pop out place a discord then go hide in a corner until both vanished then do it again all the while applying no risk to yourself as you never had to directly face any of your counters.

You have to play him more dynamically now, but he's still just as powerful as he ever was, it's just now he's not literally broken and actually has to expose himself to his counters to be effective now which is why he rarely gets a look in in competitive seeing as how he's now far more dangerous to play when there's more dependable heroes to pick who don't die thanks to a particularly violent sneeze in their direction.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Nah, they won't.

Paired up with symmetra that would make him a 200 health hero, most of which is shields. That's also the reason why Symmetra's shields were taken down to 25 from 50 because it turns out having 200 health Tracers and 250 health Genjis is actually quite a big loving deal.

This is also why they added LOS to Zenyatta's orbs seeing as how he could just place it on Genji and suddenly one of his big weaknesses is gone forever.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So it doesn't appear that McCree's revolver has a transfer bar in it, which means that seeing as how he's running around with six shots all the time and is rolling around constantly there's a chance he might blow his dick off by accident if the hammer hits the primer.

So nerf idea: There's a chance of you blowing your own dick off if you combat roll without an empty revolver.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Back Hack posted:

Why in the world am I getting so many 1 hit kill headshots with Hanzo when I'm nailing people in the chest!? I'm not complaining, but it feels really dirty that it's happening constantly. :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUtMYkDUnSM

It's this reborn.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think the only legitimate case of cheating ever really documented is during a match, I think a comp one, where the Widowmaker was mysteriously moving away from dead cert targets to lock onto those that are being resurrected and thus immune to damage.

e: If TF2 is anything to go by, you can bet a good portion of competetive players are cheating like motherfuckers, they're just smart enough to hide it (most of the time)

A loving huge proportion of competitive players got their accounts banned and their items tradelocked (effectively rendering them worthless) for using LMAObox. Turns out a huge proportion of competitive snipers are cheaters - who would have thought?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzgreYLPSo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSDqz7ggLuE

Vlad is one of those who got caught cheating. "Footsteps" lmao.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 27, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've got the Solid Gold mercy skin and it looks a lot better than the default and the Valkyrie ones. It's very classy.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think all of the legendary skins change some aspect of the character's voice/or their sounds at least. I know Symmetra's Call Center one changes up one of her voice lines.

Mercy's devil one adds "For a price" to the end of her ultimate. Not sure if it adds it to the enemy voice one, though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I wouldn't be surprised if they literally copied and pasted the hitboxes for the Huntmans onto Hanzo's arrows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asahh_Fen4M

At the very least a similar sort of problem is going on here.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Nah, the hitboxes are stupidly broken for the arrows. It's literally the Huntsman all over again.

Fixing them will actually reward everyone, even Hanzo, because right now Hanzo is a loving bullshit character that requires you land an arrow vaguely at someone's head for them to die, and as people know this, it's seen as a bullshit kill. Nobody is happy. Not the person who got killed, not even the person who did the killing since it's a hollow victory.

Fixing the hitboxes would mean when a Hanzo genuinely lands an impressive headshot it will been as actually impressive and not just you clipping a hitbox in just the right way.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I have literally never seen a Hanzo kill that I feel was in any way earned. Honestly, even the best Widowmakers I feel that they deserved that kill, with Hanzo it's always either the result of spam or incredibly wonky hit detection.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

First, it's 500 HP (400 of which is Armor), NOT 650 HP. Secondly, she really, really does not remotely feel like a 500 HP character. I've played 500 HP characters. Zarya, a 400 HP character feels much tougher than D.Va. I've tried playing as D.Va a lot and her mech dies very quickly.

I guess D.Va now dies when you blow up her mech? When did they introduce that?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

No, just about three seconds later to the thing which effortlessly killed the mech in the first place. Or if you're lucky, you can get away and spend the next 30 seconds plinking away trying to get the mech back, meanwhile your team is short a character which could be doing anything at all better than pilot-form D.Va.

So you agree that she has 650 health and that she doesn't disappear into the void when her 500 mech health is depleted, which is incidentally what other characters who run out of health tend to do.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That's because Reinhardt is the only actual proper Tank tank type tank, who can absorb a poo poo ton of damage and push forward.

Which is why I know we're always going to lose when our sole tank in any given attack map is D.Va or Roadhog. I'd even take Winston over those two as an attacking tank as he can at least establish a new baseline front by pushing back defenders.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just remove D.Va in my opinion.

Anything she can do Winston can do better, Winston can do anything better than her.

e: She's literally just an attempt to win back Korean players into Blizzard games after they hosed up so badly with SC2.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 27, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's harder for people to jack it to Winston though.

Not on the internet, my friend!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Radical posted:

merge the two heroes so you have a small korean girl piloting a giant ape

Winston is not an ape, he's a scientist.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Winston is also more fun than D.Va because Primal Rage is so much better than Self Destruct.

They think they've got me down but they didn't plan on me going ape and sending them across the map with my giant gorilla hands.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
See if you can spot the fundamental tactical error in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmBm1e8AwSU

I'm sure he meant well, but that was really unfortunate timing.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Jastiger posted:

I like tracer but there is definitely a difficulty curve to her. I find myself often getting the jump on an enemy and buzzing their health down to like..20..and then either dying, get stunned, or they get away. I gotta figure out how to seal the deal instead of just mildly wounding them. Her guns just get so inaccurate its crazy.

Melee

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

TheTatteredKing posted:

I'm a fan of his "I'll just... leave this right here." His acting is real good across the board.

"The hunter lays a trap for his prey"

I'd like to see Junkrat narrate documentaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

I think that there is a pretty notable distinction in the threat and skillset of a 500 HP mech which can fly, block projectiles and self-destruct and a 150 HP person with no abilities. Every other character in the game has the same skillset whether they're on max HP or 1 HP. You can't add the 500 HP apple and 150 HP orange and pretend you have 650.

Except she does actually have 650 HP. 500 in the mech, 150 on foot. To kill D.Va you have to do at least 650 points of damage. If you do not do this, she will not die. Some arbitrary definition of what constitutes "alive" is not going to change that basic mathematical fact. She does not respawn until 650 health has been taken from her, often much more because her mech recall ability refills its health.