Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Wanted some cookies the other night after making dinner. Decided to whip up a batch of chocolate chip, since they're pretty drat quick to make. Orange, almond, cardamom chocolate chip cookies.

Almond flavor didn't really come through too much, and was more of a textural thing. The bursts of orange from the best and the cardamon really came through great and really complimented the bittersweet chocolate. Def my new fav for when I wanna just throw some cookies together quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Makin some basic choco-chip and pecan cookies while waiting on my bread dough to rise. The plus side of being all quarantined is that I have ample time to bake now.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I baked a pie today cuz I've had a loving headache for the past 2 weeks and needed to treat myself and feel productive.

Just a basic apple pie with a lazily made streusel-ish topping. Still letting it cool, but I'm sure it'll be loving delicious. Put a lil vanilla extract and lemon zest in the crust

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Not cookies, but last I checked there wasn't a dedicated pie thread. I baked a pie

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

dog nougat posted:

Not cookies, but last I checked there wasn't a dedicated pie thread. I baked a pie

I'm bad at posting.

For this pie I tried cooking my apples before assembling the pie to try and combat watery pie. Worked great! Just need to add more sugar next time and slightly reduce the amount of lemon juice.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Made my annual batch of anise springerle for a German lab manager who retired that I’m still friends with, and a lemon batch for me!

Them some good looking springerle! One of my fav cookies. This is the first year in I don't know how long that my mom hasn't made any since she was visiting my sister in Sweden. The holidays feel weird without homemade stollen, lebkuchen, pfeffernüsse, springerle, or even a fruitcake. Guess I'll have to make them myself to at least keep the tradition alive when she's no longer with us. Prob the hardest thing to find would be baker's ammonia for springerle.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
:eyepop:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Chakan posted:

I’m looking to make chocolate and orange cupcakes on friday and I was going to modify the SBA chocolate cupcake recipe by adding some orange zest and juice to the batter and using whole milk instead of the buttermilk to keep the acidity in check. Is that reasonable or am I missing something? Does one orange sound right? If they come out good I’ll post some pictures. If not, I might still post pictures for posterity.

They probably won't rise all that much without buttermilk. I'd honestly just go with zest and add orange extract to get the orange flavor. Orange juice will likely get overpowered by the chocolate. You could do juice and add a bit more flour to compensate for the extra liquid and see how it tastes and add some extract of needed and they'll probably turn out fine.

Edit: Orange juice is also pretty sweet, I'd consider dialing back the amount of regular sugar just a bit to offset that if you go that route. Also that seems like a shitload of sugar to begin with for a cupcake recipe relative to the amount of flour and other ingredients. Now I'm intrigued and wanna give chocolate orange cake a go.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Is there a place to sneak in some caramel? Maybe the ganache? Might not be a good idea, the rest of the cake was so overwhelmingly chocolate that I'm not sure if caramel could add much to it
The cocoa whipped cream was delicious, but for aesthetic reasons I might try a plain white whipped cream...I think the white contrast with the rest of the cheesecake would be interesting
Maybe switch out the oreo crust for a standard graham cracker one, give it more of a honey profile

I'd eat tf outta that. The smitten kitchen has a chocolate caramel cheesecake recipe I've made a few times and it's absolutely phenomenal. You make caramel with your sugar and then melt your chocolate into it along with some sour cream and incorporate it into the cheesecake batter. The flavor is amazing, chocolatey af with a really great caramel flavor throughout. Being cheesecake it's not terribly light, but there is still an odd lightness to it. Almost like a chocolate caramel mousse cake or something.