Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I am loving to read about all these successes!

Krankenstyle posted:

Wow "nice". That's a really cool family story (no sarcasm)

imo, the main rules are:

- never accept other genealogists' work without verifying every single fact yourself (birth, marriage, death, military, census, whatever, all of them)
- not a huge fan of online trees, there's a lot of sloppy amateurs who just click everything and make a mess for everyone else
- surnames can jump weirdly. in many germanic & nordic areas, they can jump from wife to husband, from farmer to the next unrelaterd farmer on the same lot, etc

i.e. my mother.

I will have so much work ahead of me. But it helps she is more open to criticism after she ran down one rabbit hole to "Odin". She is being a lot more careful.

Now to figure out where the Berber haplotypes came from...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Oracle posted:

Oh hey Fold3.com, what's that? You got Civil War records all opened up til April 15? And nary a Tony Stark to be seen? Well alrighty then...

Gotta register so they can send you spam, but its worth it IMHO.

Boom, great great grandfather's war record right there. Thanks!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Oracle posted:

MyHeritage is offering two free weeks of access to their records if you sign up for a free trial. They have a lot of the same records as ancestry and a few they don't have. https://lp.myheritage.com/complete-...y=us&tr_device=

My heritage is a pretty good site, its where my mother and cousin have their trees.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1022414600099311616

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1022552958553268224

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Little Miss Bossy posted:

Yep, I did my Master's dissertation on the nobility earlier this year.

Oh good. Might have to pick your brain on the particular hand off between poor church going folks in Salisbury and the nobility that my mother made once back from this trip I am on. The genealogy done up to that point is solid, and once in the nobility its probably reliable, but the few generations between...I am suspect. I mean, on my Norwegian line my mom placed us as descendants of Eric Fairhair so I'm suspicious.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

A US pastor finds royal ties to Benin via DNA ancestry

Krankenstyle posted:

np :)

I'm actually deeply into OCR at the moment, I'm working with a local archive on software to help correct faulty OCR (Danish gets a lot of that because of our special characters æøå). Initial tests are promising!

Would you say you are OCD on OCR? :)

I use Adobe Acrobat for that, but I have access to the full version.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1113461468031266817

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

My Dean, a Punjabi, made that trip and found they had records of the past 8 generations of his family's visits. This despite his family being Sikh not Hindu.

I've been going through my mother's research on MyHeritage, and growing more despondent that I will ever be able to confirm the lot of crap being dumpstered there. Eh, hopefully my retirement will be long. Anyway, can anybody read or transliterate Hebrew? Got a bit of a mystery inscription on a headstone of an ancestor I'd like to clear up.

Also google and other translation sites are failing abjectly at the following Latin transcription:

Oua patres difficillime adepti sunt nolite turpiter relinquere

I'm going to rought translate it as reading "Although our fathers endured difficulties, do not leave sad" but would love a more accurate reading.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

omg fuckin yessss!!!! the new register searches on ArkivDigital have provided me with exact birth & marriage data for a pair of my Swedish ancestors that I have spent literally 15 years looking for!!!!!!!!

It has been really hard going because the man had a craftsman surname (which are ubiquitous and usually no indication of relation) and in the only two sources I had which named her, the wife has resp. 1 and 2 given names (all 3 being different). Additionally, their 2 known children were born in the city of Karlskrona which had a huge naval base (lots of people around) and was for a long time exempt from a lot of taxes (so there weren't any tax rolls I could use to pinpoint them further). The husband died in Denmark in 1814 and the wife "went back to Sweden afterwards" according to her son.

But the register searches showed me a woman that could be her (she has 2 given names, one from each of the known names), and tracking this woman further shows that she married a Lindberg, whom I have now found in the travel lists showing as having come from Karlskrona (which was 100 miles away and in a different county, where I had until now looked).

That is very cool!

Karlskrona is where my dad's dad's (name-bearing) immigrant ancestors hailed. From searching the digital archives from their parish I found their marriage certificate, which revealed that my last name is actually an Ellis Island name. Not really sure why Gustafsson was so hard it needed changing but whatevs, I'm stuck with this Scottish super common surname now

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

If you don't mind, I would like to see that with my own eyes. I've heard the "Ellis Island name" stories a lot, but they never made sense to me because the passenger manifests and tickets were written on the departure side where they knew people's names. It would be super interesting to see a counter-example. It's fine and I understand if you don't want to, but it'd be really neat if you'd PM them to me. Obviously, I won't share them.

I would have to retrace my search history and take some screencaptures, and I confess to not following up with ships manifests or Ellis Island records myself. I passed the information along to my mother and she logged their name variants along with the rest of the patronyms. I had confirmed my readings of the records from Blekinge were correct with a Swedish colleague (correct first names for both male and female, correct birth dates, but different surnames, a Gustafsson and Gustafsdotter--that Gustaf really got around) but yeah, am happy enough to chase this down this mini mystery.

The surname I got is the same as the male's grandfather, while dropping the second s (Anderson), so it makes sense and also explains why many in my family were unable to trace things back in Sweden. Also digitized archives, bless them.

And yes, they then moved to Andersonville in Chicago so.

e. looks like Oracle nailed it

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 13, 2019

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

Spelling only became standardized very late, so Andersson = Anderson = Andersøn = Annersen, osv. The longer you get back, the weirder they get with it, I've seen the name Paul spelled Poffwel (now usually spelled either Poul/Paul)

Their different patronymics are just male/female of Gustafs-child (-son/-daughter). You probably know that but it wasn't clear from your post so I thought I'd mention it :)

I was making a veiled joke about sibling marriage :) Thanks for the spelling tips, will be helpful moving forward.

Ironically my cousin who lives in Stockholm has the same last name but from yet another Gustaf from the other side of the country at some point or other. On the one hand I'm pretty glad the patronyms were abandoned but the Icelanders seem to make it work well enough

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

My Dean, a Punjabi, made that trip and found they had records of the past 8 generations of his family's visits. This despite his family being Sikh not Hindu.

I've been going through my mother's research on MyHeritage, and growing more despondent that I will ever be able to confirm the lot of crap being dumpstered there. Eh, hopefully my retirement will be long. Anyway, can anybody read or transliterate Hebrew? Got a bit of a mystery inscription on a headstone of an ancestor I'd like to clear up.

Also google and other translation sites are failing abjectly at the following Latin transcription:

Oua patres difficillime adepti sunt nolite turpiter relinquere

I'm going to rought translate it as reading "Although our fathers endured difficulties, do not leave sad" but would love a more accurate reading.

Found a guide to Plymouth that states the "free translation" is

quote:

Do not basely relinquish what the Fathers with difficulty gained
LMAO

Of course, there is according to the same source an "untranslatable" bit of Hebrew on it. Because, it wasn't written by a Jew since it actually states YHVH (in Adonai variant according to one site I found, but probably by a misty eyed evangelical or poo poo eating Thelemite). Best I have been able to work out, consulting with a fellow whose Hebrew is admittedly not strong, is "The Lord helped me in my life", but according to my consultant "its not grammatical in either current or historical Hebrew"

A 8 foot tall obelisk set in 1827 with that poo poo written on it for a 17th century Puritan. LMAO my relatives/white people are terrible

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

I spent a lot of time on getting translated some latin & hebrew bible quotes written by a bishop in the 1700s, then copied by a priest in the 1890s, then transcribed by me in present day. You'd think it would be pretty easy because the Hebrew and Latin bibles have been pretty standard for over 500 years but it turns out that even minor transcription mistakes can bloom into a wilderness of incomprehension, and they can happen at every level of transcription.

Hebrew does have the advantage of being an at least partially syllabic script. Except that my profoundly layman's understanding tells me that there's a very little difference between these two:

יהוה = yahweh
יהלה = yolo

that is great

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Definitely appreciated!

How would you read the inscription here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/124651729@N04/31545650742 ?

You can scroll over to zoom

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Oracle posted:

Dealing with all the controversy over DNA tests then you see stories like this and god dammit genetic genealogy is cool.

There was a similar story of folks related to royalty in Ghana IIRC last year. Very cool indeed those signals didn't get washed out

On another topic, was it here this story caught my attention first? If so apologies

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/07/us/dna-bone-marrow-transplant-crime-lab.html

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

imo that guy is the son of the parents he grew up with even though he was mistakenly given to them at some point, you know? family is what feels like family, nothing else matters.

Being a son or a daughter isn't about blood. When I write it out it always sounds so patronizing but its yule so here goes

You're the child of whoever people you call your parents. That's easy to say, but I think it is also easy to feel?

This was the basis for my partner's research before she gave it up due to health issues. A large number of adoptees do not feel some sort of mystical need to "know where they came from" because who raised them are their family, period.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Any ideas for searching for Illinois State prison records?

My mother is onto the scent of the reasons for why one of my great grandmothers never talked about their families much, and I loves me some dish

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Oracle posted:

Here's a collection that will probably greatly interest you: Register of Illinois Prison Records

Many thanks! Off to do some hunting around

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Thinking about my ancestors that died in 1918 right now

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

My great grandma (sitting) with her brother and sisters, the little girl died from the Spanish flu in January 1919, 17 years old.

My great great grandma (very young in this image), who moved to Chicago from Gamleby, Sweden because her kids had gone and done pretty well and moved her and my great great grandpa in the early 1900s, died in 1918. I think I spoke about finding her grave a few years back.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Great story Oracle! You're a real nutter alright! I wonder if any of my ancestors from Salem or Plymouth knew him, Puritans all. Heck we could be related.

My mom sent me some info from an obit of my great grandfather, stating that he had started a society in Chicago but she could not find any mention of one by that name and assumed it no longer existed independently. I did a few minutes searching, found one with the right start date, shot them an email, and got a reply complete with a link to their first ever newsletter just scanned and put in the web. This included a short biography of my great grandfather! Best part was getting an invite to speak to them, hopefully next year on their 75th anniversary as I am a professional in that field! A good day for me too, but no nutters.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

interesting article on northern slavery in New York and two women linked via genealogy and slavery
https://www.washingtonpost.com/maga...ed/?arc404=true

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Whoa, vikings weren't this homogenous mass of Aryan purity? Who'duv thunk?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/09/scientists-raid-viking-dna-explore-genetic-roots/

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

Have any of you guys done an ancestry test? What did you discover? I went with 23andme and, as I said earlier, I got my results a few days ago. I wound up finding 1,400 'relatives', but the closest match is only 0.75% DNA shared, so it's all quite distant. Here's the map for the ones that gave their location:

The world:

Europe:

North America:

It makes sense for NA to be that overrepresented, there aren't many people in Europe who take these tests, partly due to restrictions.

Ancestry:

Bog-standard NW European with a few other things thrown in. It says I'm 32.6% 'British & Irish', but I have no one from there in my family tree that I know of, and I'm pretty sure it's just genetic overlap. The western part of Flanders (the historical County, basically) had a lot of Saxon influence, while the more inland regions were settled mainly by Franks.

Now that you mention it, I got this tidbit about my maternal haplogroup:

yas queen

My parents both did Ancestry's DNA testing (they offered me to do it but I'm like "no, I'm some combination of your results UNLESS YOU AREN'T TELLING ME SOMETHING") and despite the vast majority of our ancestry being from the Gotland region of Sweden (and some eastern Norway) we somehow picked up Persian and Berber haplotypes. Vikings liked to get it on

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I take the DNA results about as seriously as my mother's research honestly. We know so little about haplotype prevalence, spontaneous new mutations, etc. still that to do otherwise would be foolish IMO.

Still, harmless fun until 23&Me finds a way to monetize your blood

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

Um, I guess. It all depends on what you want. Obviously if it tells you you're 69% Southern Irish you need to put that into context, but it's pretty much completely reliable when it comes to finding relatives, although it might get the predicted exact relationship wrong since every generation it's a bit of a crapshoot which bits of DNA happen to get passed on. That's why it's disproportionately popular among people who were adopted, estranged from their relatives, etc.
It's also basically 100% correct when it comes to the broader ethnic/racial strokes. I've seen some videos of racially mixed New World people getting genuinely emotional when they get their results back. That might seem strange to us who have never struggled with the same issues, but I get it.

Also they're monetizing my blood right now and I genuinely don't care, even think it's a good thing as long as they don't go all Shkreli

Seems my post was more dismissive that I intended because I also find that in broad strokes my mother's research is probably fine and as more diversity gets added to the DNA pool I think confidence in the results will firm up. I have zero issues with linking up with closely related folks either. Its just some of the rarer haplotypes and the lower percentages that I have concern about.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Sweet have a bit of a mystery on my hands.

One of my great great grandmothers apparently came over from Sweden pregnant with my great grandfather. No information on the father is available. I have two landing dates, separated by two months, to the same port in Boston on the same steam ship (Cephalonia, a great name!). Information on my mother's MyHeritage gives two possible birth places, Svinhult (in Ostergotland) and Ingatorp (in Jonkoping). These two places are connected by a short stretch of road in fact. Anyway, I have plenty of information on her parents, which makes Ingatorp the most likely place of long term residence. So, I suppose digging into possible marriage certificates held in either the Ingatorp or Svinhult kykor is probably my best route to explore? The fact he has a different last name than she suggests she gave him a patronym, which would make the father Anders someone or other (which doesn't help a great deal).

Of course, if she fled out of shame to start a new life I'm probably stuck, eh?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

When are we talking ish? By default, everyone in Scandinavia got a patronym until the mid-late 1800s (unless they had a fancy craftsman or soldier name to pass on), sometimes even further. Some places into the 1900s. Also we all made them legal again recently as well.

Anyway, it sounds like you have some specific dates/locations that can be looked up and verified. The "digital research hall" at the Swedish national archives has pretty much all church registers as well as husförhörslängder (running census rolls) and probates. I don't know if the below link is in English but if not you can switch language with a dropdown top right.

https://sok.riksarkivet.se/digitala-forskarsalen

Out to the left, you can put in parish name in the top text field and choose "kyrkoarkiv" (church/parish archive) in the bottom one. That gives a result of possible parishes. From there, you can choose which type of record you want. There's a green button "bild" that means "picture" to open the viewer.

I'll happily help further just lemme know :)

Thanks. I've been working on my Swedish but we lost the language with my parent's generation (loving boomers). Landing in Boston took place in 1887.

Re patronyms: I work with an Icelander and his father who is in the same faculty, and their names are swapovers for one another so they are constantly getting each other's emails

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Oracle posted:

You’re lucky that your mystery resides in Sweden they have excellent records. Unless you’re my great-great-great grandma who I’m pretty sure married the brother of my great-great-grandfather because he was busy being married at the time he knocked her up and probably denied the whole thing.

Also I have Swedes near that area maybe we’re related.

Probably, it looks like that line stayed in Ingatorp and surrounding areas (Bellö for one) for many generations after. And I have other lines further west in Jönköping and east in Kalmar, and to the south in Blekinge as well. Between my parents families being both predominant Swedish I've genetic relations throughout most of southern Sweden and a little into Norway.

Reading through my mothers correspondence, she's getting stuck on the German lines though, with name changes, misspellings, and missing records. This seems consistent with findings from folks ITT as well. I might dig more into this in the future. If nothing else, its a good excuse to learn more geography and history.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

lol my mother doesn't even have a birth certificate for my g grandpa, which seems a logical first step to get a father's name. Ordering from Illinois...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Trillian posted:

I have now spent an unreasonable amount of time looking for my German family and what I have really learned is that I knew nothing about eastern Europe or the eastern fronts of the world wars. Learning about the history has actually been really interesting.

Here's something that is relevant for genealogy: After WWII, about 20% of the population of East and West Germany were refugees from territories that Germany lost in 1945. That's a big population movement that has gotten very little attention in English-language history. That shows in people's Ancestry trees. I've run across several with ancestors who were actually from from modern-day Poland labelled as though they were from modern-day Germany or Austria. People have found a town in Germany with the same name as Grandma's hometown, and assumed it was the right one. Like me, they were told their relatives were German, they don't know the history, and absolutely every German place in Poland had its name changed after 1945 so you don't tend to stumble across the old German names by accident.

Of course that may not be the case for your family, but this a thing to think about for anyone looking up German ancestry.

I now know enough to give pretty good advice on German research in Lower Silesia, and a bit of advice on Serbia, Czechoslovakia or other places in Poland, if anyone needs it. I am sure there's someone on this forum that knows way more than I do, but I am getting less stupid. My general tip is to figure out the German vocabulary words and search in German (or Polish, etc.), because English-language resources are pretty limited but Google Translate is good. Even English-language academic work often uses German vocabulary for historical phenomena.

You know, that makes a great deal of sense given what our family history tells us vs the DNA. One of my father's grandmothers had "German" ancestry, but his genetics via MyHeritage came out as:
75.6% Scandinavian -- This makes complete sense, most of my ancestry comes from here
13.4% North and West European (German, French) -- This also makes sense given said great grandmother (and a great grandmother of his that, family legend has it, was of a Huguenot family that fled to Sweden)
7.6% East European (Poland, Ukraine, etc.) -- This is a stumper, but is possibly explained by what you said above
2.2% English -- This also makes sense as he has several lines of original settlers from England to the US (Mayflower, Salem settlers)
1.2% West Asian (Turkey, Iran, Iraq) -- Yeah we got no idea on this one. Viking traders? Eastern European admixture? Who knows

Back on the mystery of great grandfather's dad: if my hit on a ships manifest database is correct she did not leave Sweden knocked up unless she gestated for over 11 months. Curiouser and curiouser.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Its also consistent with the German lines on my mom's side, her genetic testing also hit on some Eastern European contributions. But instead of West Asian she is the one that got 1.9% North African (Berber) haplotypes.

One big messy gene pool!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Jaguars! posted:

Genealogy name of the week: Honora Harrington

lol really?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Its beautiful script and I can make nothing of it beyond that

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

Here's a nice long vocabulary of German for genealogists:
http://sites.rootsweb.com/~romban/misc/germanjobs.html

As for reading, it just takes a lot of practice. Start by entering the letters you know and leave spaces for the ones you don't, for example I originally had _eber_ter for Webermeister. Just keep going through, and then do second and third passes until you have it all.

For a second I thought the word was Scheberrichter, but that is nonsensical (a Schäbenrichter would be someone who corrects the waste products from flax/hemp preparation lol) so I consider similar-looking letters: long s instead of h in the second part made it clear he was a -meister. Then Weber- just hit me and it makes sense when I double check with an alphabet (there are a couple on the Wikipedia for Kurrent I linked earlier).

The Thümling surname clearly begins with Thü- and ends with -ing, the middle part could conceivably be -ml- or -nd-. Thümling is a real surname though, and I don't see many attestations for Thünding.

What do you use for OCR/HTR? I saw that Transkribus is transitioning to a pay model :(

Thanks for this resource, it should prove quite helpful as I just got the scope on my German mysteries...

From an email...edited to remove irrelevancies or personal digressions

quote:

Peter John Fiechtl...was born in the Zillerthal in Tirol/Tyrol, Austria...Even with genealogical help from Legacy Tree Genealogists nothing could be found. Actually what was found was that it couldn't be found.

Challenge accepted. More...and the promise of primary documentation!

quote:

Since then I dug into the box that my dad had left with what he called "goodies", and I did find a few things mostly in German. I found out that he was Catholic and not Lutheran. Here in this country he went to the Lutheran church because they spoke in German...

With Peter Fiechtl and the Kieslings (who settled in Wisconsin) there are many more mysteries. They are my link to anything Eastern European. Peter Fiechtl used to say that he was a "Hungary Austrian". He came from the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Wisconsin sent me a renunciation of allegiance to Francis-Joseph I Emperor of the Austro Hungarian Empire for him to become a citizen of the United States. He had signed it in March of 1891. I have letters in German from his sister, Maria Fiechtl, who sent them to Wisconsin. Some are translated. I think he had a girlfriend also that sent him letters. There are other things in German as well that I don't know what they are. I have one copy in the genealogy book that I made, and another copy in the box still. Oh, there are tax records as well. He has a work history and moved around a lot in a Domestic Servant Book. The different places he worked were Nurenberg, Tyrol, then he was transferred to Cologne and tax documents included Honingen, transferred to Hulls, transferred to Verdingen, transferred to St. Toenis, transferred back to Hulls, then transferred from Cologne to Toenis, ending in Hamberg. Traveled to St. Toenis and from there was transferred to America. It is confusing to me. The mayors of these places signed the transfers. He was transferred to America July 10, 1885. This part is translated. It sounded like Hulls was his home. (two slashes above the letter u). I don't know if these towns have the same names or not - or if they are in different countries or not.

On his marriage certificate it mentions that his father is named Peter Sager, and his mother Maria Fiechtl. It could be that they weren't married if he has his mother's last name. His sister appears to have the same name. Anyway, it's a mess.

That last bit is the "saint name" convention you mentioned a few posts ago.

Anyway its exciting, she's sending copies of the documents my way and it seems I've a lot to go on

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

FWIW, among the docs I got is a picture of the aforementioned Peter Fiechtl and his family. Old timey af with a real Austro-Hungarian vibe IMO. His wife's parents, if I recall correctly, hailed originally from Bavaria. Apparently a cousin of my mothers from this side got positive Ashkenazi Jewish haplotypes in his DNA test. The young woman back row left is my great grandmother.

I love these old photos

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

:tipshat:

Here's one I got from a distant cousin. It's from around 1925. My great grandparents are the blushing couple to the left. Most of them look drunk as hell lol

drunk as poo poo but i'm the little blond girl front center about to stick her tongue out

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Trillian posted:

This is very reassuring to me! How did you ever figure that out?

I'm guessing many nights with full moons with ouija board in cemeteries and so many white chickens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Norway chat time.

My mother has been working with a genealogist from the Ringerike Lag specializing in the area of Buskerud that line comes from. He has compiled a chart that suggests that she is the 17G-g-dtr of Toralde Gunnarsen Hvit & Thoron Haakonsdatter. Apparently a novel has been written about Thoron. From her latest message, "Little is known about her except that she was born in 1225 and is probably the daughter of Kanga Unge who was a mistress of King Hakon Hakonsson. That is a theory, but the king does give Theron the manor Berg in Elvdal, and indicates that she had a very close connection to the Norwegian royal house. "

I always get really nervous when she starts heading into these sorts of directions, so I'm wondering how reliable might this fellow be? On the one hand they apparently have some knowledge of genealogy in this area (I've seen some correspondence between them that suggests he does look for multiple lines of evidence before making line connections) but on the other, who loving knows. She's awfully credulous and I'd hate for her to be taken advantage of.

For Norwegian readers: how bad is this book likely to be?

e: looking at the tree he did, he links her via three different lineages. It looks like pretty detailed work at first blush (not seeing any of the primary substantiating evidence)

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 9, 2020