Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
remember how bored kids used to waste their lives in front of the tv

then they all cut the cord and so instead they waste their lives in F2P online games

Overwatch is aimed squarely at that demo except that it costs $40; it's so casual it makes COD look like ARMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Applewhite posted:

I don't intend to play Battleborn but after watching its intro cartoon I have determined it to be the artistically superior game. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sai7jPmYg5k

that looks like pure distilled tumblr

on that note is mei literally an eskimo, like did blizzard dig so deep in the diversity bag they pulled out a tiny tribe of american indians? I assumed all the asian characters were japanese but apparently the cutesy girl driving the big robot is obviously(?) corean

edit: vvvvvvvv

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 26, 2016

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

thathonkey posted:

How is hero based fundamentally different from class based

it's even more rock-paper-scissors-y

Milky Moor posted:

which is kind of weird they've put such a big emphasis on their character development and worldbuilding or whatever the gently caress

Overwatch assets are reused from Blizzards failed next gen MMO Titan so I'm sure internally at blizzard they have a lot more lore etc than your typical shooter

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Batterypowered7 posted:

Nah, some nerds went and made this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pYTwn2xI1OaXPGv2qF1lNaNwlxAedprujWlEv-AkNec/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

Even Mercy's peashooter can take out most character sin 10 hits, and it fires pretty quickly.

lol no falloff

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
how does the economy work in Overwatch anyway, can you just buy skins etc? trade them? if not is blizz just relying on one time purchase fee for revenue? season pass, xpacs etc?

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
thats all? how are dupes handled?

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Berious posted:

A PC shooter without a server browser is some shameful poo poo. gently caress matchmaking.

The game could be great with persistent servers and a browser; I got bored of vanilla TF2 quickly but low grav instant respawn orange kept me coming back for ages

And no deathmatch mode, no scoreboard :negative: it's so millennial it hurts

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Germstore posted:

Deathmatch makes absolutely no sense for Overwatch. If you want a deathmatch mode the closest thing that makes sense would be a mode where you fight for control of points- which already exists.

plenty of people have been playing TF2 DM for years now, why not OW

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

garfield hentai posted:

It was a few pages back but are people really making the argument that lack of a server browser is a bad thing?

TF2 using server browser - hmm let's see all these are full, these all have crit enabled/disabled which I don't like, these have awful pings, ah here we go. Oh god dammit these are all bots, back to the list, here's another one oh dammit this one has all that bullshit premium reward stuff, etc etc where's that blacklist I got on reddit or whatever

Overwatch - I clicked play and am now playing the game. Everything is fine and how I'd expect it.

you know you could have both right

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 2, 2016

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

garfield hentai posted:

It was a few pages back but are people really making the argument that lack of a server browser is a bad thing?

TF2 using server browser - hmm let's see all these are full, these all have crit enabled/disabled which I don't like, these have awful pings, ah here we go. Oh god dammit these are all bots, back to the list, here's another one oh dammit this one has all that bullshit premium reward stuff, etc etc where's that blacklist I got on reddit or whatever

Overwatch - I clicked play and am now playing the game. Everything is fine and how I'd expect it.

garfield hentai posted:

It wouldn't hurt anything to have it there but why bother and who cares? If you're playing UT or whatever and want to find a game with these mutators on that custom map etc etc then yeah server browsers are good but for a game like Overwatch where everything is put out by the developers (or TF2 where all the custom stuff sucks massive poo poo) then there's no point except for feeling like a cool PC user guy.

how to spot a former PC gamer

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I just found out this game has achievements

each class has two that award sprays (pixelated and chibi style) and some of them are pretty fun (Earthshatter->Fire Strike->Charge an enemy with Reinhardt) and challenging (get a scoped headshot kill while flying through the air as Widowmaker)

http://overwatch.wikia.com/wiki/Achievements

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I'm sure they'll roll out DOTA 2-tier spec/record/analyze/etc features eventually but for now I guess they figure twitch exists and anyone with a big enough hardon to record/stream/analyze themselves is already using it

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
25 pages of "ovrewtch is good" "no overwatch is bad"

:gas:

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
last 3 achievements are kicking my rear end (lucio and both zenyatta), I wouldn't mind so much if I actually enjoyed playing either but Lucio is pants on head and zen still melts like butter

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
ya but unlike the rat you need to stay LOS to do anything and you have zero escapes if the other team notices you're a problem

a good pick against those godawful 3 tank turtle teams but otherwise there's easier ways to put points on the board

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Zzulu posted:

Well if you like shooters, OVerwatch is a good game

what other shooters even are there right now, some call of duty poo poo or whatever? I havent kept track

CSGO and nothing else popular

Battlefield 1 is coming sometime soon but I can't get too excited at the prospect of crawling through mud shooting a bolt action winchester

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
moonmoon's a good streamer and is doing a good charity stream right now for baton rouge, featuring lots of roadhog, d.va and stupid donator challenges, I got him to play a round as Reinhardt with no shield for $50

https://www.twitch.tv/moonmoon_ow

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
tracer is fantastic to play though? do people not like her from an aesthetic perspective or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Lmao you gave $50 bucks to a scammer to play a video game, a bad one, at that.

according to my bro in law who used to be in charge of their video player, twitch runs their charity streams airtight

but ya it's not like I have some way of knowing if twitch redirects my moneys to their ball pit fund or something

• Locked thread