Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
This thread has me thrown. Good? Bad? Here's the situation: Friend of mine wants me to play this game so badly that he says if I buy it and end up hating it, he'll reimburse the $40 in booze money. I am at once even more determined to write this game off with the added incentive of beer, but what if I like it? I just paid $40 for a game I might like juuuust enough to keep playing.

Help me out here. What of this Devil's bargain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

VendaGoat posted:

How much of a selfish gently caress are you? That's the question right now.

I play other Blizzard games. He'd see me online anyway, so treachery is out. Looks like I'm in the fiendish jaws of this win/win.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

VendaGoat posted:

Like being seen doing something selfish has ever stopped a willing person.

Citation any famous person, ever.
No, I am not willing to upset a friend over 80 bux worth of beer and game and still drink the beer and still play the game. I asked him if the maps were poo poo-predictable and he said "kinda yeah but they're only on the first patch." My turmoil continues.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

VendaGoat posted:

Your friend, who let me tell you would betray you at the slightest hint of betterment of himself, is giving you a personal opportunity to take advantage of them.

You're a gently caress not to take it.
You have moved me to take the deal. I will report back on my findings. I will either love the game or drunkenly shitpost.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Update: I bought the game and now I like it. The friend who told me I should get it only played a couple games with me though, because he said it was a dick move to change characters mid-match. On the other hand, it's kind of a dick move to tell other people how to play a game, so we just differ there. So what if I was the tank? Now I'm Junkrat. You want a tank? You be the tank.

But yes, the game is pretty and good. You definitely get what you pay for. 7/10

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Batterypowered7 posted:

You need to tell your friend that people on a dead, gay, comedy forum all think he's a loving idiot.
P sure he reads Reddit so SA still gives me enough forum-clout to squash him. Otoh, I don't really care. I'll just play the game and have a good time (PC, not console).

thathonkey posted:

dumb even for an overwatch player
Hey now. As a new initiate, that reflects poorly on me.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Snatch Duster posted:

So which character is your waifu? Mine is roadhog because I bet his dick is extra fat.

Look at the scar running up his torso. Roadhog is a nullo. That's what gives him beefcake fighting strength.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

The Protagonist posted:

junkrat is packing though

"If you like loving inside a tire next to barrels full of nitroglycerin, come visit my pad anytime."

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It's good. They just need more map types. CTF, King of the Hill, Assassination, etc.

And I dunno what you mean "no humiliation' because I've seen plenty of teabagging, but half the cast are girls so it's like wtf are you doing thats not humiliating its empowering.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Overwatch is good

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

not a shot but im surprised tf2 has had the longevity its had
It would have gone on longer, but the people who didn't die of old age are now playing Overwatch.

At any rate, good loving riddance.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Pitdragon posted:

but its still going, pretty strong at that

overwatch has no spy class so it can't hold a candle to tf2
I am not a spy but I am still on my way to your house with the intention of murdering you.

By the way, have you played Overwatch yet? It's actually pretty good.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Pitdragon posted:

jokes on you im a spy. im already in you base fool

also no i have not, i'll probably try it when it's free if people are still playing it
It will never be free because Blizz still wants $40 bux for the Warcraft Battle Chest. However, you will probably arrive in time for an expansion that offers a few new characters and maps and more social media.

Spies can come to my base whenever they want because it's just a giant tiger trap with spears at the bottom and I coat them with my own/animal feces every day like a Vietcong. I just sleep on a grocery cart full of my meager belongings nearby. Behind the bush.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

!Klams posted:

I guess it's early doors.
That's a good thing, though? Morrison wrote better music before he became a junkie.

Chinatown posted:

the russian character is obviously very gay and thus everyone in russia is mad about that
Zorya is so butch I want her to beat me up :swoon:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
There's a mentality that seems to ooze over from physical sports into competitive online sports where winning is everything and that bragging and shittalking is a right you earn by being victorious. I don't brag since the last fps I was consistently good at was quake, but shittalking is my inalienable right and I do it whether or not my team wins. It's usually pretty ejaculatory too, because a lot of OW players are younger and they have the stupid lingo that kids use. Hate having to repeat myself to these kids that saying "fam" is stupid and it makes you stupider every time you use it. :corsair:

But my point is that competitive play is undesirable to me, because games are a form of escapism. If I wanted to better myself, I'd go play rugby or something. Now we've got all these people who ruined Starcraft coming in because they think playing as Soldier 76 is a "skill".

The Protagonist posted:

People wasting their lives for shiny textures is the future we live in.
Would not be a bit surprised if one of the characters had a spray that was just a hot blonde in a pink cadillac.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I changed my blizzard name to POONESLAYER , how long before it gets banned you think

I kept trying blizzard naughty names until something worked. interesetingly enough, it blocked poonslayer, but not pooneslayer, you'd think it was "poon" tripping the filter but I guess not
Probably because somebody's got "harpoon" or something. I wonder if "herpoon" would get rejected...

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The most annoying thing about tf2 is that fans seem to think the game was totally original. It's just a clone. The only thing original about it were the character models, which were just made to be cutesy. The fact that Blizzard cashed in and has quickly outpaced them just goes to show what a forgettable game it was. But go ahead and keep jerking off about it if you want. In a few years it'll be all but forgotten, just like OW will be in a decade or so.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

nigga crab pollock posted:

ya dude. team fortress 2, team fortress classic, fortress forever, theyre all just shameless knock offs of a quake mod. how could anyone think theyre original ideas....

CrashCat posted:

there's literally a "two" in the name??

You know what I mean, wise guys. Tf is touted as a mix between fun and groundbreaking and it's neither one. At least Overwatch gets the fun part right.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

!Klams posted:

They are incredibly similar games, and they have incredibly similar moment to moment experiences, but TF2 is like, nine years old now, it's ok for someone else to come along and do an up to date version. It's kind of like when league of legends came along after dota. It's fine for there too new multiple games in a genre.
I agree on all points. I'm just saying that before it came along there were TONS of team-based, party-specific games where you worked together for different objectives. Aside from the omnipresent fanart and commuity, TF is simply nothing special. By some stroke of luck (and marketing) it has this huge fanbase of people who think it's the grandpappy of all team games. It isn't. Saying TF invented the genre is like saying Halo was the first FPS.

Also the artwork is gay and Overwatch has shinier graphics. Game and match.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Blacktoll posted:

For the PC. All characters are corny as gently caress. There is a weeaboo anime girl robot. Some corny gunslinger and everything is a grade A racist caricature. "Oh herro i am roboto ninjur." My mouth was literally wide open. Every single character is that bad.

No different weapons. One button kill ultimates. What, why?
Huh. I got the game the same way but it turns out the game is fun. Maybe you have brain damage? The whole trick is to kill the other player before they can kill you, ult or no ult.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I never said it was a feast for refined tastes with many levels of complexity. I said it was fun. Point gun, shoot people. It's a tried and true formula.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Mei is a piece of poo poo. She ice-walls me away from my prey and sometimes inside of buildings. Gf plays her ALL THE TIME and I swear to god she always has that goddamn ice wall poo poo ready whenever she spawns and I'm like "why are you walling off your objective, you only have twelve seconds to take it" and she's all "leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" UGH.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Games should not be fun imo

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Blacktoll posted:

I've never played a more cookie cutter game.
I've never fisted two people simultaneously. This is not a thread for regrets. It is a thread about Overwatch, the new good Blizzard game.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Junkrat is sadly the scapegoat of the whole sordid affair because people say he's overpowered or whatever. So the weebs play Hanzo and use their "i can see/shoot through walls oh and also my arrows turn into dragons" ability because that is a testament to skill. Not me though. I love Junkrat.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Methinks thou doth protest too much. Is this closet love for Overwatch weighing you down, friend? It's okay to say the game is good. We're all friends here.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Pawn 17 posted:

I hear Whatley has over 500 hours on D.Va.
Story fits.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Putty posted:

what role does dva even play the other tanks are better

*snickering* NERF THIS!!!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Your answer is simple. The game is bad

What kind of doctor are you, Whatley? The game is obviously good.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm a dentist, you piece of poo poo.
If you're not still paying off your student loans, you should splurge on a cool overwatch av.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

!Klams posted:

One thing I don't get though, why are symmetra and torbjorn different class? They're identical in purpose? Turret, armor, poo poo close range gun? Also, why does it ever say 'no builder'? Like, does the computer get mad if he doesn't get to control part of your team? Seems so arbitrary. Maybe the game IS bad after all?
Whoa whoa. You're overthinking this, guy.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

CrashCat posted:

But nobody would understand a label that just says "Overwatch"
They'd flash you the horns and say "Overwatch rules!"

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Thank you.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I like this game. It is good, like eating vegetables and dressing in nice clothes. So of course lots of goons do not like it.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Any time somebody manages to kill me with Lucio's wacky bubble gun, I get mad at myself and then I aggro on Lucio from that point forward.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Putty posted:

fun fact: lucio has a hurtbox the size of a pea
Fuckin called it. Might as well give him more HP than Roadhog.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Aralan posted:

I try to keep a positive attitude in the "overwatch is good" thread (this thread (because we talk about overwatch and it's good)), but you might be an idiot if you really think that
What are you trying to say

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Just got done playing this good game after 5 days without. Nice to see the thread is still here. Have fun playin OW y'all!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

I AM THE TOILET posted:

why is everyone drawing overwatch characters as constantly loving each other yet living in a conventional nuclear family dynamic
I don't know, but all these people who call 76 "the dad" are at once both goofy and creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Do nothing = 4 gold medals.

• Locked thread