Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I find it so funny how many people say "it's not like team fortress 2" and then go on to describe the exact gameplay of team fortress 2, and make the same criticisms, counter criticisms and discussion points as people have made about team fortress 2 for something nearing a decade now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Chinatown posted:

its basically a faster paced version of TF2 so thats cool and good

I don't think the pace was ever a problem with TF2, but that has basically sold me on it so I guess I'll dish 40 bux.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

ButteCysts posted:

just tf2 (which is and has always been free)

It's weird to think that portal, hl2:e2 and team fortress 2 all came out in a bundle for 30 quid, like, that's just insane to me in retrospect.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
TF2 always had this accomplished sense of humor, like it's actually endearingly funny a lot of the time. It was always a case of like "we hope you like this?" And then valve really over delivering. With overwatch I get this sense of "...You're gonna LOVE this. (Smugface)" and it's just a worse TF2?

Like, they've done a series of "meet the..." videos fit the characters, except instead of being funny, they've tried to be emotionally manipulative instead. Like, the introduction for "Soldier 76" who is basically a 90s, deadpool level "COOL DUDEŠ" doesn't really feature him at all (because where's the shmaltz) so instead it's about some poor favela girl buying milk for her mum...

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I watched a couple of streams of it to get some idea. It basically looks EXACTLY like a spammier TF2, except with Call of Duty 4 maps? There's no reason that wouldn't do really well, and giving everyone an ubercharge that you don't have to do anything to charge, means that even drooling idiots feel like they're 'progressing' or making a difference, and even doing well. Its your typical Blizzard "poo poo game that feels rewarding to play even if you don't earn any rewards".

What I DID see though, was there was a guy playing the cowboy (is he called Macready? Like the dude from the thing?) and actually, since you can get headshots with him, if you're good at FPS's, you can actually just play him and utterly utterly dominate. Until someone presses their Ultimate button, and you die no matter what. But until then, skill matters!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Germstore posted:

Most ults are easily dodgeable because it plays a sound a second or two before the ult actually happens. They are more about area denial. I guess what I'm saying is git gud, m8.

I mean, I haven't played the game, I was watching a korean dude play who was insanely good, to the point you'd assume he was aimbotting, but he'd walk around a corner and there'd be an exploding DVA or a Reaper doing his 'die die die' thing and while he'd react pretty quickly, sometimes its just unavoidable. And thats good, variance is actually good, because it keeps things exciting. But it does mean that you'll have absolute loving idiots who can't play for poo poo, that just cant make reasoned decisions, who confound you with idiocy at every turn, claiming that they're really good and that you're bad, because one time they pressed the win button and it worked really well.

I dunno if I can be bothered with that tbh.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

signalnoise posted:

I have a feeling that the only real reason people compare overwatch to tf2 is the shading engine or whatever, the graphics have a sort of similar style. Gameplay wise it's like saying marvel vs capcom is a rip off of mortal kombat or some poo poo

Like people are complaining that the sg is too powerful because they don't know how to deal with it, you have to stand on the point to advance the objective or contest it, but people don't because they get caught up in deathmatching even though the character they've chosen works better in concert with other people. It's a light hearted team based class based shooter where one team pushes a train while the other tries to stop them with timed respawns, health pickups, and 'big push' mechanics that build up over time.

You're kind of right (except like KoF vs Street fighter) in that it's probably the second game in a genre of basically two. But there's a lot of reason to compare them beyond aesthetic.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
From what I've seen / played, its typical blizzard fare, in that its not actually good, but you'll have fun playing it all the same. Like in the same way that your favourite fast food place isn't 'good' food, that's not going to stop you going there and enjoying it.

Like, world of warcraft was an utterly poo poo game. You could complete all the tasks you were set without understanding anything about the mechanics of the game, or even knowing that there were buttons beyond right click. But it was still quite fun for a while. This is pretty much the same. People have said it before, but what you do in the game doesn't really determine who wins or who loses. The ebb and flow of the game, the taking part is the part that matters. And, that part is kinda cool.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Finally picked up this game. It's to team fortress as gears of war is to Quake 3 arena. It's like the difference between going go karting or going quad biking. It doesn't really let you do as much as I'd like, but I guess it's a lot shinier. It doesn't really feel like 'polish' though. It feels like the guys who used to make blizzard games wrote a checklist for releasing new games, and this meets all the criteria.

It's like it's so heavily curated that there's no real chance for emergent gameplay. Like, there was one time where I died with roadhog, and it suggested fighting in a closed area. So the next time I waited and used my q in a choke point and killed some fools, and it was great. But. That choke point was put there so I could q fools as roadhog, and the game even told me in writing. And I know, this is true in any well designed game, but it just feels so evident in this game.

I dunno I'll probably play it loads, but I think it would be good if they did some really really off the wall game modes or something, or just did something with it that was really left field, because at the moment it sort of feels like playing a really good, really well designed and genuinely fun 4 piece jigsaw.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

a cyberpunk goose posted:

better players will surprise you

I guess it's early doors.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

nigga crab pollock posted:

also it borrows a lot from team fortress dfont try to say its something different because its streamlined and has wacky anime characters

Yeah, it one hundred percent is a team fortress clone, but I mean, that's kind of a genre. Like, it's really really similar to TF2, but not at all similar to Team Fortress the quake mod. (Except, actually, yes it is, that had grappling hooks too, never mind).

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

phasmid posted:

The most annoying thing about tf2 is that fans seem to think the game was totally original. It's just a clone. The only thing original about it were the character models, which were just made to be cutesy. The fact that Blizzard cashed in and has quickly outpaced them just goes to show what a forgettable game it was. But go ahead and keep jerking off about it if you want. In a few years it'll be all but forgotten, just like OW will be in a decade or so.

Seriously, quake tf wasn't a clone, and really tfc wasn't a clone, but a more fully realised qtf. It feels like it was, and it feels like it must have been, because it's such an obvious and simple idea, but there just wasn't another class based team first person shooter. The nearest thing would be I guess alien vs predator on the Atari jaguar?

They are incredibly similar games, and they have incredibly similar moment to moment experiences, but TF2 is like, nine years old now, it's ok for someone else to come along and do an up to date version. It's kind of like when league of legends came along after dota. It's fine for there too new multiple games in a genre.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Zzulu posted:

no its not idiot scrub

pick a side fucker!!!!

Oh well l pick TF2 because it's the much better game then.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Serious overwatch question, I get a fair bit of input lag, which makes playing as any of the characters where you have to aim basically impossible. My machine is childishly high spec, the game recommends the highest graphics settings (ultra or epic or something) but even on lowest I get this blurry mouse input.

Anyone had anything similar?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Zorodius posted:

no. I assume you have vsync off?

Yeah, but then my monitor has gsync, so maybe it's that? Dunno it's really odd. I'll see if maybe it's something to do with my graphics cards settings rather than the settings within the game, but I'm pretty sure the cards are set to 'performance'.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Your answer is simple. The game is bad

I've actually really come around to it. Someone told me to play as Pharah to get a better idea of sneaky verticality, and yeah, turns out there's actually a lot of it, and it really makes the maps more interesting.

Like, DE_Dust has those two routes that open out either end into more routes, and everyone knows how it's going to play out and so can bluff / double bluff / set traps etc, which is cool and good. The more you play overwatch, the more points in the maps start to feel like that, where coming from a clever angle at an odd time can win a round. At first it all just feels random and kind of bullshit.

I still don't like blizzards approach to visual language though. They try and make everything look like it's part of the level, so you've no idea if you can say fly over a particular building or destroy a particular part of terrain just by looking at it, and this has a material impact on the gameplay.

This adds up to it actually having a pretty high barrier to entry (before it's a good game) and everything before that is kind if poo poo. But everything about the game screams at you "this is it! You've mastered it all!" Right out the gate.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
One thing I don't get though, why are symmetra and torbjorn different class? They're identical in purpose? Turret, armor, poo poo close range gun? Also, why does it ever say 'no builder'? Like, does the computer get mad if he doesn't get to control part of your team? Seems so arbitrary. Maybe the game IS bad after all?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

rezatahs posted:

short range gun? lol if you can't snipe with torb's rivet gun. that thing rekz

Well, as I mentioned on the previous page I've got some crazy input lag, but from what I'm reading it's down to maybe the display size in Windows (lol stupid 4k monitor #humblebrag etc) So no, I cant snipe for poo poo and it's infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
This is really lame, but I really enjoy Lucio because you can wallride around everywhere at high speed, and I always found that really fun in the Tony Hawks games. Like I don't even really consider playing him to be a first person shooter, I just zoom about trying to do cool grinds, occasionally stopping to try and use his alt fire to knock people off ledges, because lol. Last time I was doing this we won and ten people voted on my card, so it's not even that troll.

• Locked thread