Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Protocol7 posted:

Other folks with WMR, does your WMR driver for SteamVR show up as a title in Steam? I have it installed, and it's working fine, but I cannot find the application anywhere in Steam. It's not in the VR or Tools section. I'd like to know how to find it, should I have to reinstall it.

It's under "Software."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get Sairento right this instant.

Yes, absolutely yes. Sairento is basically "man, I wish I could do all that stuff they do in the cutscene" except you're doing all of that stuff. It's insanely cool, and your spouse will think you look adorable playing it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Sairento seems well received, is it worth laying out a little extra for Dead Effect VR and Eternity Warriors in this bundle..?

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/6124/Dead_Ninja_Warriors_VR_Bundle/

Sairento is dope. Dead Effect is neat, but the voice acting is PS1 Capcom levels of awful. If you enjoyed a simple zombie shooter like The Brookhaven Experiment and want a fleshed-out version of it, then you'll be happy with it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

PenisMonkey posted:

DCS and War Thunder have VR. I dunno if il2 does. I think xplane 11 has a mod for it.

The IL-2 Battle of [...] series supports SteamVR, at least.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Macintosh HD posted:

On the other hand, the WMR products seem like they would be a hit for the flight and race sims. Those games are going to use joysticks or wheels and won’t need the super great controllers that come with Vive and Oculus.

Yup. I got a Lenovo Explorer for $200 and it's been great for iRacing, IL-2, and other games that only need a headset. Even for shooters and such, it's been serviceable, though the spotty tracking is a pain in games where your hands regularly leave your view for more than a moment.

Also, Racket Fury is loving great.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Macintosh HD posted:

Woah how did you get IL-2 to work? I heard it has a problem with all WMR devices due to the way IL-2 handles the IPD stuff. I have an WMR coming tonight so I’m super curious.

I hosed around with this thingy: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30556-3dmigoto-mod-for-vr/

Hopefully the devs will make a proper fix at some point, but in the meantime the thread has tips on which settings to tweak to improve things with WMR.

Just drove a few laps around the Nordschleife in Project Cars. I can't wait to show my dad this stuff.

Racket Fury continues to own. I'm not good enough at table tennis to know how realistic its physics are, but I can say that the sim mode feels really loving nice, and the arcade mode relaxes things just enough that I can pretend I'm good.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I have Subnautica but I keep forgetting to play it in VR.

I messed with Payday 2 earlier and had a blast. The movement is a bit dodgy (using WMR, dash only until the sticks get proper support) but it's a blast to physically lean over to peek around a wall during stealth, or lean out with a gun during shootouts. This stuff is fun.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I played the demo for COMPOUND, and I'm pretty sure the developer is some kind of dark wizard for managing to make the enemy and object models actually look like old Wolfenstein/Doom-style sprites while still being 3D models.

This game is cool, and I'm digging the "slide in the direction your hand is pointing" movement, with it being disconnected from the camera direction. I much, much prefer this to sliding around using the trackpad. Seems like it helps address one of the reasons why people were talking about a belt tracker (move in a given direction while glancing left and right).

I would assume this is an option in a bunch of games, but this is the first game where I've messed with slide locomotion substantially, as I'm still getting my VR legs. Now I'm gonna be sad if it's an uncommon movement option.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Shine posted:

Now I'm gonna be sad if it's an uncommon movement option.

Really wishing Payday 2 had this :(.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

nickhimself posted:

Didn't someone mention before that The Forest has VR support? It's on Steam's front page today and triggered that memory

Is it good?

edit: Beat Saber unlocks in a couple of hours! Yay!

If you're not sick of jungle survival games, it's aight.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Speaking of rhythm games, I started up BoxVR the other day and it’s great fun! But my arms and back muscles are killing me. Am I just out of shape, or should I worry that I’m throwing punches too hard? I don’t wanna pull a muscle or cause any damage by going too ham on VR or some poo poo. Disclaimer: I know loving nothing about exercising so I dunno if I’m worrying over nothing.

Please work out.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I'm having a weird issue with my WMR. Out of nowhere, it started pausing for about one second every two seconds. So it'll be fine for two seconds, then pause (everything freezes on both headset and desktop), then is fine for two more seconds, etc. I found one or two search results with the same issue, and apparently it has to do with Windows loving up something with my monitor configuration. As a workaround, I unplugged my second monitor (leaving just the main and WMR plugged in) and now all is well. Weird and kinda annoying :(

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Fano posted:

This is all very exciting stuff, I can't wait to see where this technology gets taken.

I picked up a Vive a month ago and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. Beat Saber is an incredible game and I'm eager to see it expand.

I wish there were more full fledged games, The Gallery was touted as one of the best adventure games out right now for VR, and it was pretty good, but the first episode only lasted an hour and I haven't picked up the second one yet because of how short this first one was.

If anyone wants to toss some recommendations my way, I'd love to hear them, this is what I have picked up so far:

Beat Saber
AudioShield
Subnautica
Superhot VR
Space Pirate Trainer
Fantastic Contraption
The Gallery Ep1: Call of the Starseed

Get Sairento VR, which is basically a VR First-person Devil May Cry in future Japan. Easily my favorite VR game so far.

If you own Payday 2, it has free VR DLC and maintains cross play with the standard version. It's a blast. It's often on sale for next to nothing.

Racket Fury is a table tennis sim that needs more love. It's one of those games you can have someone play to give them an idea of how cool VR can be. Getting decent enough at simulation mode to actually win a match feels incredibly satisfying.

House of the Dying Sun is a short but fun space combat game that is much more accessible than something like Elite Dangerous (which is great, but not a pick-up-and-play arcadey game).

Project Cars if you like racing games and want serviceable gamepad support. Gorgeous graphics if you have a beefy video card.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

How much content does Sairento have? All the gameplay videos I’ve seen look fun, but relatively samey. Are there many levels / enemies to spice things up? Or is it more or less just one or two different skins of an area and waves of sameish enemies spew in?

Not a lot of variety, no. Higher difficulties have more elite enemies (there are like 6 or so enemy types), but it's all some variation of "kill everything in this area." You do find new loot with upgraded or unique skills as you keep playing, which spices up your weapon options over time. It also has surprisingly good co-op (albeit buggy), with each player able to bullet time a sphere of influence around them so you aren't messing each other up.

It's not a deep game, but the experience is well worth the money, IMO. Landing to someone's side, swinging your blade toward them without looking, and hearing them get sliced in half feels hella badass, as does making a perfect glaive throw that takes out a line of enemies. There's also an AOE power triggered by doing a Superhero Landing :lol:.

Basically, if you were the type of kid whose imagination would run wild after watching Kill Bill, The Matrix or Ghost in the Shell, then it's awesome. If the gameplay videos aren't tickling your fancy, then you probably won't dig it too much.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Holy poo poo, Beat Saber is fun! My wife and I just had a loving blast playing it. Once you get into the zone and your hands just start flying without conscious effort, it's massively satisfying. The dots mode is great for flamboyantly swinging the sabers around like a prequel Jedi.

Warbird posted:

I also recommend you sweet goons put down a yoga mat or something for when you get a bit overzealous on ducking a orange block in BS. I did a "combat kneel" and drat near broke my knee.

I just crouch down with my chest lifted and my rear end back like I'm doing a lovely Romanian deadlift.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Beat Saber made me use "like a prequel Jedi" as a positive descriptor, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Ralith posted:

"objectively better?" By what standard quantitative metric?

For some reason, "objectively" has caught on as a magical "I win the argument" word. "Hey man, we both have opinions, but mine is objective because, uhh, I think it."

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Not sure how looking at something with an open mind and comparing them is a "I win the argument" word.

It's an, "I win the argument" word because it implies that in forming your opinion you've set aside all personal preference, taste and bias, and determined that your opinion is actually based on facts and data that are not at all swayed by subjective factors. When you state that your preference is "objectively" better, you're essentially saying that people who disagree with your opinion are only doing so because they've yet to process the irrefutable facts that would lead them to agree with you about the VR note hitting game.

It's okay to have an opinion and acknowledge that said opinion is influenced by your preferences. When my wife dislikes a video game that I think is an all-time classic, I don't say, "but honey, this game is objectively great," because that's not what "objectively" means.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Right but does it become subjective simply because the person or people comparing them are using what they understand about music games, and not personal feelings? Because if you're keeping out bias, which again, is the issue with being objective, then you'd still come to the conclusion its better based on the info presented to you without a personal bias? Correct?

I'd agree subjective could be used, but I chose objective specifically because when we've discussed this poo poo, we're not talking about our personal feelings. We're looking at how the maps were made, how they actually played when compared to say the actual beat of the song, and how well it did on both platforms when spitting out the output, On top of things like consistency. Because at the end of the day, what matters in a beat map game is how the song lines up with the map itself right?

But keep nitpicking my posts I guess guys. :)

It's okay for people to disagree with you about the video game. Please stop being weird.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Alpha Phoenix posted:

This is objectively the worst derail of this thread.

:alexa:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I like Payday 2 chat. Turtling a tight hallway and poking your gun around the corner to spray and pray is hella satisfying. Still WMR SteamVR thumbstick support gets sorted out in the near future, but dashing about isn't awful.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

nickhimself posted:

Lol at the difficulty jump in Beat Saber. I full comboed two or three of the bottom four songs on Hard, then fail immediately on the beginning fast run sequence in the first song on Expert. That poo poo's wild. Gonna be fun learning the beat map on these!

Yeah I've had to practice with No Energy mode to get a feel for the expert maps. It's really satisfying once you start nailing them, though!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I just ordered HyperX's wireless headset. Their wired ones are by far the comfiest I've ever had and it fits just fine with the Lenovo Explorer, but using an extension cord with roomscale is a bit unwieldy.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

What are some VR games that, like Payday 2, allow cross-play between VR and conventional players? I'm loving that about Payday.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Beat Saber custom tracks that don't match the beat make me irrationally mad.

And yeah, tons of them are basically if this guy made them: https://youtu.be/bD7ZnJdi2rY

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Jestery posted:

Yeah, you used to be able to remap every button and action in a very clear fashion. That entire interface is no longer present.

Also you can't change between the locomotion controls, I really enjoyed tap to move but now it's press to move, which is a little harder to use for some reason

Minor complaints on the whole, but like, it is weird to remove features.

You can. Hold down the menu button (on WMR; dunno what you'd call the Vive equiv) and it'll pop up.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The new SteamVR input system is hella welcome. You can basically remap anything you want with any game, regardless of the in-game settings. It's missing a few things I'd like, but it's off to a nice start.

I removed the positional touchpad input from Payday 2 (so it knows if I'm pressing the touchpad as a button, but not where on the pad I'm pressing it), and instead mapped the touchpad position to the left joystick. That means I can use the touchpad as a teleport button without ever accidentally engaging direct movement (and I don't need a deadzone), and direct movement is mapped only to the joystick. Payday 2 doesn't let you do this natively, but now it doesn't need to.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I look forward to the full release of Beat Saber, with its professionally crafted stages that aren't anime drum machines and/or clearly a quarter-second off-beat.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Gorn is neat, and is the first game where I'm really wishing I had better tracking. The constant holding a shield off to the side and such doesn't play well with WMR. My intent is to hold out on getting a fancier headset until the next proper generation drops (leaning toward Rift, as I like their controllers more) but in the meantime it's kind of a bummer to be hampered in a game like this. Ah well, at least I can play Payday 2.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I bring an Ammo Bag with the P90's, just to sustain my bullet lust :black101:.

Out of curiosity, is the minigun any good in Payday 2? Also can you tell if someone's playing via VR, or do they look normal to other players?

The minigun is a loving blast and demolishes everything at close range. It feels hella satisfying in VR.

According to my brother, I look normal in VR. I keep forgetting that and trying to gesture and point around for him.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I'm gonna throw out a mention of TheBlu. It's not a game at all, but in terms of "hey check out a neat VR atmosphere that is super chill and won't trigger motion sickness," it's hella nice. The whale one is like 3 minutes and it's loving cool. The sort of thing you have your non-gamer dad try when he comes to visit. I love my dad.

Shine fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 24, 2018

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

My top 3 VR games are:
- iRacing (racing sims in general, but this is my favorite)

- Payday 2 VR (a free update to a game that goes on sale for like 10 bucks all the time, and lets you cross play with the large 2D player base)

- Beat Saber (Jedi DDR)

When a friend comes over to try VR for the first time, I typically show them:

- TheBlu, to get them used to VR space without having to worry about movement or gaming actions. It's hella relaxing. Just stand there, look at all the pretty animals, and maybe poke a jellyfish.

- The Brookhaven Experiment, which is a good "baby's first VR shooter." You just stand in place with a gun and knife and survive against a wave of slow-moving zombies. There's lots of reliance on positional sound to find enemies, so it gets someone used to turning in VR space.

- iRacing (in a solo or ghost session), because driving is gameplay that makes perfect sense for VR, and in my experience is fairly motion sickness-friendly because your brain is used to the world around you moving if you're in a car, or some poo poo like that. Maybe my friends just aren't super prone to sickness.

Then whatever else, based on what they're into (Tilt Brush, Dirt Rally, Gorn, Payday 2, Sairento, House of the Dying Sun, etc.)

As an aside, while I have Elite Dangerous and it looks and feels fantastic in VR, ED has a lot of boring downtime that I'm used to killing by watching Netflix or something on my second monitor, which isn't super feasible in VR. When you are actually doing poo poo in ED though, like combat or flying around a space station, it's awesome.

Racing sims are insanely cool in VR, especially if you have a wheel. I get a much better sense in VR of the car's weight transfers from working the pedals. Like, any book on racing will tell you that you use the pedals when steering to transfer the weight to the front or rear wheels, but that never fully clicked for me until I played in VR. It's like the 3D space and free head movement lets my brain better pick up on the forces acting on the car. I can't overstate how loving dope VR driving feels.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Jay_Zombie posted:

I do wish the resolution was better though. Running iRacing, I always feel like stuff is just a little bit out of focus and it gives me some pretty bad eyestrain after a while, in addition to the motion sickness.

Do you have sharpening enabled in the graphics settings? It makes the game look much better, imo. Like, less "fuzzy."

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Stick100 posted:

If you have a Rift and current drivers you can pull a window directly into your game space. So you can lock running Netflix to a part of the ship.

I have a Lenovo Explorer :( but that sounds cool!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

TwingeCrag posted:

I want this a lot. Do I have to have it randomly drop for me in the game?

Randomly find it, or get it from the relic store whenever it randomly pops up there.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Each chapter's pretty much just a regular randomized-layout mission with a bit of narration at the start and end. The voice acting's serviceable enough too.

But unless I'm missing something, the dialogue repeats whenever you restart the mission (after dying, etc.) and it's unskippable :argh:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

Gorn hasn't gotten old yet in the 3 weeks I've had VR. Combine it with beer for extra fun.

Try the Low Violence mode from the options screen, if you haven't. Trust me.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

Nice deal for anyone lurking, looking to get into vr, until the 16th you get $75 of store credit with the purchase of a Rift through their website. Effectively bringing the price down to $325, a pretty good deal.

Well dang, I just got one from Amazon the other day. Ah well.

I'm gonna hold onto the Lenovo Explorer and give it to my dad with a new gaming PC so he can try VR racing, once video card prices are normal again.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

They are normal again.

Why’s everyone keep saying this? 1080s are 500 again. Everything else is also back to the same.

The video card I bought for $225 two years ago is listed for 400 on Newegg right now. That's why people keep saying this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Really? Must be something no longer made, or some weirdo 1060 model. Either way, edge case. And this is the VR thread fam. Who is shopping 1060s right now? Not sane people, thats who. And even they can get one for 220ish.

Point still stands. Cards are "normal" again. 1060s are 220ish on Newegg. No idea what the gently caress people are whining about. Whine about the 11XX preorder prices, That makes sense at least. :v:

Can I get a substantially better card than my two-year-old RX480 for about 250 dollars?

If not, then no, things aren't normal yet.