Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

TalkLittle posted:

There's also the Miku-style rhythm game Airtone which is good if you like the anime style. 25 tracks and 3 difficulties. At least it's apparently way better than the official Miku VR game on Steam, which sounds rushed and cashing in on the IP while providing a half-baked game with only 8 tracks.

As expected, the hand motions and aesthetic are emasculating, so probably a game to play in a locked room by yourself if you identify as a man.

Airtone is fun but you have to grind by playing songs to unlock new songs which got slightly annoying.
Guess I have to buy Beatsaber, I was worried it would suck from the enormous amount of hype I kept seeing for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So can you play non-VR games on the Rift using the VR headset, like a cinematic mode where the VR headset just turns into a big-rear end monitor?

Also how does watching movies on the Rift look?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

jubjub64 posted:

Is the "facial interface" that comes from vrcover the same dimensions as the stock one from Oculus? I want to use a 3d printed lens frame that I found on thingiverse but I don't know if it will work with vrcover's insert.

Its very close. I have some of those lens inserts coming for the GF so I can test it once they get here. Hopefully a week or so.

theblackw0lf posted:

So can you play non-VR games on the Rift using the VR headset, like a cinematic mode where the VR headset just turns into a big-rear end monitor?

Yeah. Just boot up big screen and enjoy.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

EbolaIvory posted:

Its very close. I have some of those lens inserts coming for the GF so I can test it once they get here. Hopefully a week or so.

Yeah. Just boot up big screen and enjoy.

Cool, also I have a GTX 1060 6G. Would that be sufficient to run a game like Lone Echo?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Beat Saber is somewhere between great and must-own.

It's so focused, polished and optimized that you really shouldn't be worried about the Early Access part if it looks like something you'd enjoy. It's extremely well designed and performs beautifully, you can tell the devs put a lot of thought into the feel and presence of the experience. A lot of VR stuff seems to be trying to do a lot of things at the expense of doing any of them well (orbusVR is the foul king of that particular poo poo mountain) but Beat Saber is completely the opposite. It's an extremely pure experience, the kind of thing that you used to go to arcades for. It's instant fun, and yet another one of those things you should get to show people how awesome VR is these days.

That said, it's nowhere near ready to replace BoxVR for me. It needs a playlist function, and most of all it needs good beat detection and playlist importing. In my wildest fantasies, that means Spotify integration.

Yes, there are only 10 songs, but they're actually pretty good. Much better than the usual cheapo licensed music these things start with. I have to assume more content is the first thing the devs are pushing toward, I guess we'll have to see how fast they can ramp it up. I personally think it's worth the 20 bux, but if they run a sale it's a no-brainer at less than that.

protip: if you already play soundboxing or BoxVR or anything like it, start with Hard. Normal will probably bore you.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 1, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

theblackw0lf posted:

Meh. It's like having a huge, bright projector in a nicely set up room, but the resolution is barely 720p. If that sounds like something you'd enjoy, go for it, but I wouldn't factor it into a purchase decision. The next gen stuff should be much better for movie watching.

theblackw0lf posted:

Cool, also I have a GTX 1060 6G. Would that be sufficient to run a game like Lone Echo?

Yep.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Speaking of rhythm games, I started up BoxVR the other day and it’s great fun! But my arms and back muscles are killing me. Am I just out of shape, or should I worry that I’m throwing punches too hard? I don’t wanna pull a muscle or cause any damage by going too ham on VR or some poo poo. Disclaimer: I know loving nothing about exercising so I dunno if I’m worrying over nothing.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

CodfishCartographer posted:

Speaking of rhythm games, I started up BoxVR the other day and it’s great fun! But my arms and back muscles are killing me. Am I just out of shape, or should I worry that I’m throwing punches too hard? I don’t wanna pull a muscle or cause any damage by going too ham on VR or some poo poo. Disclaimer: I know loving nothing about exercising so I dunno if I’m worrying over nothing.

You're just out of shape. Take it easy and work on the basics for a while until you build up your speed and endurance. Treat it more like a speed bag than a heavy bag. Then, once BoxVR no longer hurts and you're getting into the rhythm of it, try Thrill of the Fight for a whole new universe of suffering.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

Looks like the Go embargo just dropped so Ars has a review up: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/05/oculus-go-review-the-wireless-vr-future-begins-today-for-only-199/

It's... about what I expected, an easier Gear VR experience which is probably just about worth it at two benjamins, but personally is of no interest to me.

Thank you for mentioning this! I ordered one from amazon and should be getting it this Thursday. I’m mainly interested in using it to watch media with, but I’m also hopeful that I can figure out a way to turn it into an educational experience for my kids/job. Exciting!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Macintosh HD posted:

Unfortunately, I can't answer that. I had the spring update insider build, as well as the SteamVR and SteamVR for WMR betas installed from the first moment I had the Dell Visor. I don't have any experience with the tracking before these updates were in place. :(

But, I stand by my earlier comment that I think the complaints about tracking were blown slightly out of proportion.

I had the old 1709 build installed up until about 2 weeks ago when I enrolled in the Insider program (slow ring). When I updated to 1803, I had to fight a bug where SteamVR would no longer recognize my headset, but now it's working fine. The tracking is markedly improved and I have little jitter in games like Pavlov, so now I can actually reliably aim down the sights (assuming I'm not spraying like a retard, which I am 90% of the time).

It's still problematic when the headset loses sight of a controller, be it behind you or at your waist, but it seems to recover much faster and is generally more accurate and stable. The Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR driver just went out of early access too, and I have yet to test it after that update, but I can say confidently that the tracking has noticeably improved between the two builds.

Even Arizona Sunshine, which I stupidly bought on the Microsoft Store assuming it would have better WMR compatibility through that store, is better.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Just understand that Oculus Go is not in any way "Real VR". I'm sure it's a fine media player and a fun toy to mess around with, but a headset with only 3 degrees of head or hand tracking just isn't representative of what VR is capable of in tyool 2018. I'm a little torn about the whole idea, I get that it's a pretty cool thing for not much money that gives you a taste of what VR could be, but the GearVR software ecosystem just plain isn't very good and that's a real big problem for the Go. If it turns out to work like a gateway drug to get people more interested in VR in general, I'm all for it, but I think it's equally possible that people will gently caress around with it for a couple days and decide it isn't worth it, as evidenced by the thousands of GearVR sets people ditch on ebay for nothing. You can't even watch YouTube with it at launch.

If you already have a decent gaming PC, you can get a Windows MR headset on sale for around the same price, which is a way, way, way better deal.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ok to get opinions on a VR game?
disclaimer: I don't game or VR . (Kerbal Space Plan), but family is working with the startup making it and looking for useful opinions.
making an assumption that useful opinions are to be found on comedy web site forum.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

some_admin posted:

disclaimer: I don't game or VR . (Kerbal Space Plan), but family is working with the startup making it and looking for useful opinions.
making an assumption that useful opinions are to be found on comedy web site forum.

I have no idea what you're asking for.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

some_admin posted:

What

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Is he... asking us to review his VR game?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

nickhimself posted:

Didn't someone mention before that The Forest has VR support? It's on Steam's front page today and triggered that memory

Is it good?

edit: Beat Saber unlocks in a couple of hours! Yay!

If you're not sick of jungle survival games, it's aight.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think he's asking if he can ask for opinions on something

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
If there's one thing goons hate, it's giving their opinion on video games.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Please work out.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Shine posted:

Please work out.

Lol leave that post alone it’s amazing. “I accidentally exercised and now I’m sore, should I be worried?” It needs to be in goons.txt and cherished.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Shine posted:

Please work out.

Being in shape makes you better at video games, jocks are here to take your hobby nerds

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lemming posted:

Being in shape makes you better at video games, jocks are here to take your hobby nerds

This but unironically.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bum the Sad posted:

Lol leave that post alone it’s amazing. “I accidentally exercised and now I’m sore, should I be worried?” It needs to be in goons.txt and cherished.

I am tremendously goony.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

I am tremendously goony.

You do you brother.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
For what it's worth, VR has actually made me healthier. I've been doing a shitload more cardio now that it's actually fun and I don't have to drag my rear end to the gym, and it gets my HR up just as well as a treadmill. Much more so in the case of Thrill of the Fight, I'd rather punch a guy in the virtual face until I puke than run wind sprints or tabatas.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Shine posted:

Please work out.

I think I still have that t-shirt somewhere around the house

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I wonder how far we are from something like the Oculus Go but with Vive-style base stations you can put on a table or something to get full tracking without too much fuss.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Republicans posted:

I wonder how far we are from something like the Oculus Go but with Vive-style base stations you can put on a table or something to get full tracking without too much fuss.

Won't need trackers, inside-out works just fine. That's pretty much what Santa Cruz is, Oculus has been working on exactly what you're describing for three years.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Working out in VR is cool and more goons should do it

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Won't need trackers, inside-out works just fine. That's pretty much what Santa Cruz is, Oculus has been working on exactly what you're describing for three years.

For reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlPZ_EGIv4

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

And Hololens has been out for years now. It's a terrible product in so many ways, but in spite of those crippling flaws its inside out tracking is robust and accurate.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Taintrunner posted:

Working out in VR is cool and more goons should do it

How's your headset holding up smell-wise?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Speaking from absolutely zero expertise I worry inside-out will be a "good enough" solution and not be as good as the lighthouse system.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 2, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Clean Your Facial Interface

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Republicans posted:

How's your headset holding up smell-wise?

Speaking from absolutely zero expertise I worry inside-out will be a "good enough" solution and not be as good as the lighthouse system.

If you get something like https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set/ and use the pleather cover then it doesn't soak in and you can clean it easily.

It probably won't be as good as something like lighthouse but judging by the WMR headsets it'll be close enough that it doesn't matter, except it'll be so much easier to use and setup that it'll actually be able to break out into the mainstream

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Republicans posted:

It probably won't ever be as good as lighthouse, but as someone who uses a WMR setup daily, I've yet to run into a situation where it really matters that much. If the WMR controllers weren't such ergonomic nightmares I don't think anyone would notice much of a difference between the big three current ecosystems.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemming posted:

If you get something like https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set/ and use the pleather cover then it doesn't soak in and you can clean it easily.

It probably won't be as good as something like lighthouse but judging by the WMR headsets it'll be close enough that it doesn't matter, except it'll be so much easier to use and setup that it'll actually be able to break out into the mainstream

Yeah, this is what I have. It's pretty handy!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I just got a promotional email from Plex saying that Plex VR is now available for Oculus Go (it was already a thing for Gear VR), so that's something.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Shine posted:

Please work out.

I know one thing re: BoxVR and exercise, and it's what I already learned from trying boxing IRL:

my core is loving garbage, my lower back and hips have been sore for weeks on end without relent :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

The plether one also cleans with alcohol super well. ITs like brand new if you just semi soak it.

Just wait til it gets boring and you add weights. After an hour with weights, you'll feel like loving goku taking them off.
But yes, You're just not used to it. Take a day off, get back on the horse. :)

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Meh. It's like having a huge, bright projector in a nicely set up room, but the resolution is barely 720p. If that sounds like something you'd enjoy, go for it, but I wouldn't factor it into a purchase decision. The next gen stuff should be much better for movie watching.

I'm on the other side of the coin. I only watch movies in VR now. Its great.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Beat Saber is somewhere between great and must-own.

protip: if you already play soundboxing or BoxVR or anything like it, start with Hard. Normal will probably bore you.

Same. Its not going to replace box entirely, but its fun score chasing and its so well done. God drat. Plus its mixed reality is top notch. AND they are already aware of the issues for us MR people and have a patch coming! Great stuff.

theblackw0lf posted:

Should. My 960 was fine for most content in the oculus store. It was only when I ventured out into steam it started to really struggle.