Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Pi Mu Rho posted:

I've been developing demos for a company that can detect your facial expressions when wearing a HMD. The difference it makes to any kind of avatar is pretty immense.

How do they pull that off? Maybe you can't give details but for the HMDs currently on the market you'd have put tiny cameras or something in the faceplate to pick up the bits of face that are totally obscured, right? Unless you could sort of extrapolate from the expression on the uncovered portion of the face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Did anyone ever figure out exactly how to maximise the non-blurry area on the Vive? I never got it to work, it was always super small despite shifting the thing on my face and messing with ipd and all the rest. That was the biggest disadvantage of that headset compared to the rift.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Does anyone have a link to that rift vs vive fov comparison that sets it all out super plainly with overlays and stuff?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Thats it, thanks. Was trying to compare the compromises rift vs vive make now ive got the former instead of the latter. Im kind of dissalointed with both of them; Vive due to the bluriness of the display - which i could never properly fix despite trying all suggestions - and the rift because of the increased letterbox effect.
Those diagrams suggest im partly misremembering the vives fov advantage though.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
How do I rebind the gamepad controls in Eve Valkyrie? The game doesn't seem to want to let me, doesn't recognise inputs when I'm at the rebind menu. Game's a blast apart from that though!

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

EdEddnEddy posted:

The Virtuix Omni also works with the GearVR over Bluetooth. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_fLZ_O9-HA

I wonder how naturalistic that feels to actually use. The guy seems to move pretty naturally for the most part. That sure is a fat ring they have inserted him into tho

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Played quake vr and loved it. Really love the idea of thief vr, hope someone adapts it soon.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Turns out VR cover are going to make a thinner facplate/padding for the oculus which should reduce the godray issue and increase the fov, similar to how it reduces blur on the vive. Also there'll be one to make glasses easier to wear with the headset. It's insane that nobody thought to include different faceplates and padding with the headsets in the first place though.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I still really want both headsets so I can try them out consecutively and hash out the pros and cons of the displays. I wonder how much of a difference the relative brightness of the vive makes for e.g. kind of wonder if that's not more of an advantage than you might imagine

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
How about megatonne rainfall? Not sure thats vr or even on pc though

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

EdEddnEddy posted:

Still extremely fun and touch felt great to hold and use. Kaz, how have you been liking that Dev kit they sent you?

Given it looks like it'll be the very end of the year before they're out, I sure hope touch is some kind of amazing! Now that there's a ton more roomscale games out for the Vive, the Rift is starting to seem like a really lovely choice.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Good to hear that about Touch. I was worried it would somehow turn out to be really gimmicky and lacklustre. Wonder what it's like to use in FPS games.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
gonna try combining my rift and leap motion. Looks pretty janky but some roomscale has to be better than none. I really want to get back to The Lab!

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Intel have an A/VR headset on the way with built in battery and processors. Cameras on the front for image recognition and pass through etc. No specs that ive found but that all sounds really cool.

Also, Touch demos in stores October. Wonder what that means for the release date

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Bhodi posted:

It's janky but it definitely works in a some of the games. Make sure you mount the leap pointing downwards at a 30 degree angle!

Abosolutely this. It was totally janky, but still pretty cool getting some motion controller functionality back. I only tried the lab, wonder what brookhaven's like

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Intels project alloy looks like it will do fully fledged AR and VR. Im not entirely clear whether it does pass through but since theyre apparently using integrated cameras for depth sensing theres no reason why not. Plus its totally wireless. No specs yet though

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

GlyphGryph posted:

Other than that, sound is vitally important to scary moments. The sound of a spider actually being up on your roof skittering around in Minecraft was really intense when I played.

This is one reason Alien: Isolation would be a deeply scarring cv1/vive experience. The footsteps alone would drive you insane. God I wish they'd adapt that game

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
BBC radio 4 this afternoon had critics talking about Bjorks vr thing in London. They thought the Rift looked like it came from the 90s, was heavy and blurry and left them headachy and sick. Just in case you needed confirmation this gen isnt going to take off outside of rich nerds

Edit: not that r4 is at all mainstream

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 2, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Wonder what that reviewer means exactly when he says StarVr isn't as clear and vivid as the vive. That article's a bit vague really, hopefully we get more detailed impressions from other writers.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

McGiggins posted:

So what's what on the rift gaming front?

I tried eve valkyrie, but everyone I get matched against is either a bot, or I'm literally the best player I've encountered so far. (This means everyone is a bot, you see).

Are there any goon-favorites at the moment, or anything multiplayer that is decent?

Theres also plenty of hours length fare and 'experiences', and several sims: Elite Dangerous, Subnautica, that goon made space game, Project Cars I think. Also i love the design of that Vive clone, going to jump for one if it turns out to work as well

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Rectus posted:

Are there any games out there using grappling hooks for movement? I made a barnacle grapple in Destinations and found it really fun to use, but I haven't seen any actual games that take advantage of grappling.

You can craft one in subnautica now

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I'm hoping the faceplate with thinner padding I'm getting next month will increase the FOV on mine a fair bit. I still end up immersed such thast I don't notice the carboard box effect, but the loss of peripheral does make all sorts of things a litte more awkward

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, I can make the choice between eventually crushing my forehead or eventually crushing my cheeks. Maybe I just have a horrible misshapen head.

Really hate that foam. It feels way too hard to really spread the weight. I found it worse on the forehead though. First time using it, I got a massive headache from that

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

d0s posted:

I'm not sure if it was the screen door effect or maybe a beat up/badly calibrated demo unit but the Vive seemed quite a bit more "foggy" or something (I did adjust the IPD dial and mess with positioning to make sure the image was as clear as possible on both devices). The Rift was very noticeably sharper all the way to the corners. I really liked that.

Those qualities are down to each devices' optics/display setup. Vive gets more blur, rift gets smudged colours. Also, the rift displays a slightly sharper image with a slightly smaller/less well-shaped FOV. On both you can improve these things through IPD and position adjustments to find the 'sweet spot' (this is a pain sometimes). There's also thinner, less comfortable padding for both from third parties that moves your eyes closer and reduces the defects, apparently.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I wonder if this explains why he thought the rift shouldnt ship with motion controls. He just has no loving clue about people.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Edit: never mind

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 24, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
He sure is a robotically awkward speaker

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I still get a touch reservation if I preordered the rift with a guest account right? Hope so

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
New controllers in the works for Vive. Imagine they'll do finger tracking?

https://twitter.com/robmerki/status/786264453700472832/photo/1

Maybe for all ten digits! I'm not entirely sure why touch won't.

If not, at least they'll have a clicky trigger

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I wonder what playing a virtual piano would feel like with full finger tracking but no real haptic feedback. Probably the reason Oculus didn't go for that is for most VR applications you just won't need ten independant fingers. If you could get a sense of resistance from stuff you interacted with though (maybe not texture at this point), through like some sort of robotic glove, that might make it worthwhile.

EDIT: Can I have a powered power glove please

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 13, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

fenrif posted:

There's a few companies working on stuff like this. With haptic feedback and resistive gloves. One idea, whos name escapes me, is to have a kind of mechanical armature over each finger which can resist pressure and allow you to "hold" virtual objects.

Looking forward to the full body exoskeleton thats throws the player to the ground when they're too slow dodging

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 14, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

fenrif posted:

Also, I found those wierd gloves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sif7cY8qwjM

DEXMO!

I wonder what happens when someone designs some sort of a virus to force Dexmo to dislocate everyones fingers?

Those rock! They even make you look as dumb as I can imagine being possible. And also really expensive. Bet this sort of this is really taxing on even a high-end system with the headset to drive too.

Anyone tried it?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

EdEddnEddy posted:

Back on the Finger Tracking tech, I was dumb and Kickstarted the TouchVR guys who ended up having the CEO or someone high up pretty much take all the money and run.
Their Prototype worked well, the team of engineers looked promising and really were passionate in bringing touch to VR in an easy enough way, but when the money up and disappears it sort of puts a big damper on actually bringing a piece of tech to market or even just developed enough past prototype to get a VC to fund it I would imagine. This may be sort of the barrier that other glove/hand tracking tech is having. Getting a proper prototype to production isn't easy, and in this case, there is a lot of tech they have to invent to use it if it's not using the already there Vive Lighthouse tech or Oculus Camera.

You'd think something like that would be an obvious get for some VC or investor. It's a shame if cool stuff like that is just falling by the wayside. Have to see what dextro or leap come up with.

Hope there's news about Megatonne Rainfall soon, I thought that'd be a PSVR launch title but no sign. The footage that's out there looks rad

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Oh hey: https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-research-demonstrate-actuator-allow-feeling-virtual-objects-3d-space/

'heh heh'

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Rastor posted:

And then we'll all live in this world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs

and we'll be the old people saying "in MY DAY"

Well that rocked. Like the good parts of a black mirror episode condensed.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Maybe it's a playstation VR quality thing. I'm sure there's plenty of work going into cheaper hardware right now though. There's a bunch more headsets and software out than there was in March after all

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
"V" may not be easily googleable but it's kinda neat and catchy.

Just spent a couple hours in Earth VR. Really incredible experience, even navigating with spacebar and head gestures. I found my way home via railway lines from London. Looking at places you've actually been to or inhabited with the zoomed-out perspective of VR is just something else, you get sense of the landscape and geography you're in, as physical landscape rather than a patchwork of memories or pictures, in a way I've rarely experienced before. Perhaps if you fly aircraft or something it'll be more familiar. It can be really intense looking at places you grew up or have strong memories of kind of exhibited with that detatched POV.

Also, just realised, the new thin CV1 interface I'm supposed to be receiving in the next week or so might expand FOV a bit too far. Maybe I'm wearing it wrong but if you really push the headset onto your face so the foam's quite compressed, you can actually see the edges of the screen at the top and out the corner of your eyes.

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 19, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

EdEddnEddy posted:

Anyone running Windows 10 and a Rift should check out V which just went into Open Beta!

If you have any questions or need some help getting things to work, just let me know.

Just tried this in Elite. Looks good and could be useful but like the other guy said the interface is awkward/impossible, also after a while the cursor would move but clicking elements did nothing and I couldn't figure out how close the window so I had to just kill it.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Oculus just emailed to say they're shipping 'very soon'. Expecting it before easter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Edit: Never mind

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 24, 2016