Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I just picked up Rick & Morty the other day and it's definitely a step up from Job Simulator. I enjoyed Job Simulator on release, but everything just felt a bit too straight forward and in the case of the mechanic job, went on too long. While Rick & Morty is still task oriented, it feels a little less hand-holdy and I think it makes you think a little more for some of the puzzles. I think Job Simulator (or a sequel) could be more interesting with a randomized mode with pass/fail conditions and multi-tasking to keep you on your toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I've been playing A Chair in a Room: Greenwater the past few days. One minute I'm laughing because the physics are being all wonky, the next I'm hitting the system button to take a five minute break because I'm too spooked out.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Just played my first 45 minutes of Super Hot. It lived up to the name, and could even be called Super Sweaty. If I didn't have a habit of occasionally smacking the ceiling fan, it would be on right now. Maybe I need to bring a regular fan into the room.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Has anyone actually noticed any performance degradation from launching games through the SteamVR Home interface, as opposed to just clicking "play" and putting your headset on? It feels like I'm getting some extra judder sometimes.

Are you running a Geforce card and have some of the most recent driver releases? The last few releases are apparently causing issues for people. A lot of people are going back to 381.x releases and getting better performance.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I picked up Obduction during the summer sale knowing it has some performance issues. It's a really pretty game (well, until you turn down the settings to try to make it more stable in VR), but it's the controls that really killed it for me. The hands were the opposite of how SteamVR identifies them (swap them around, no big deal), but teleportation was a crapshoot. Sometimes I'd teleport when I let go of the trackpad, other times I'd have to click it repeatedly. I'm just going to play it non-VR as I was enjoying it and it looks really nice with the settings on epic/high.

I'd really like to see a game like this that was truly built for VR. Maybe more indoor environments so it didn't need to deal with so much geometry at once or something. Plus more interactive environments. It was weird playing a VR game where you can't just grab almost every single object you see. I played and enjoyed The Gallery Episode 1 which sort of scratched the itch, but it was a bit too on rails. I want a little more exploration with old school point-and-click style puzzle solving.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Sounds good from this hands-on. I'm definitely buying one.

https://www.gamecrate.com/hands-on-vive-pro-and-wireless-adaptor-impressions-ces-2018/17817

quote:

The Vive Pro took my breath away.

True to HTC’s promises during the press event before the demo stations opened up, the Vive Pro makes virtual text and other fine details much clearer than the standard Vive. While reading text on the existing HMD often involves a bit of a struggle to get the text into the central “sweet spot” of the headset lenses to make it readable, all of the text in the Driftwood virtual environment I explored in my Vive Pro demo was instantly, perfectly clear. Whether signs that were close up or book titles on shelves that were a few virtual yards away, text was easy to make out regardless of the portion of the lenses in which it was displayed.

Perhaps most importantly of all, the Vive Pro has drastically reduced the visibility of the concentric rings that are sometimes hard to ignore in the standard Vive, and which can be both distracting and immersion breaking. With the Vive Pro, you just feel like you’re looking at the virtual world, rather than lenses a short distance in front of your eyes.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

D1E posted:

How would I use the Vive Pro if I don't have a USB 3.1 motherboard? Anybody got recommendations on I/O boards or would I need a new motherboard?

If so, eff that.

HTC's site lists "USB-C 3.0", not USB 3.1. I'd imagine you would just use a USB 3.0 Type C -> Type A adapter to plug it into the breakout box (if it doesn't come with that cable to begin with). The USB connectors on the breakout box appear to be USB 3.0 already.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Chadzok posted:

Not sure how much to trust this review, he got a bunch of things wrong. Mistook the VRCovers for the actual Vive Pro facepad, for example.

Where are you getting that VRCovers thing from? The Pro has a new cloth-lined face cushion. They showed it off during the reveal and it's mentioned on the product page. I'd imagine HTC would be demoing it with that, not third party accessories.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
The Pro uses a proprietary cable from the headset to the link box as we saw in the Tested video. The USB C cable would just be between the link box and your PC. I don't think my link box moves around that much, but I guess if you're stretching the limits on the cable length, you could run into issues. But if that's the case, I'd assume you could just use a longer USB C and display port cable to your PC. My Nexus 6P is two years old at this point and I have not had any trouble with the cable. It still fits nice and snug into my phone even being plugged and unplugged on a daily basis.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

iceaim posted:

Which driver? Can you link to it? I'm about to flatten and reinstalling my operating system.

388.71 is the last good driver that doesn't require you to reboot when it starts acting funky.
https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/128421

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

SwissCM posted:

After a bunch of shipping delays I finally got my Vive Wireless kit.

The setup is pretty optimal, I have a 6700k@4.5 and a 1080. The transmitter is mounted in one of the corners above a base station using a security camera mount I bought off ebay, has excellent coverage of my entire 4.5x4.5m area and I had to try really hard to get the quality to drop, literally crouching in a corner with my head down. I haven't noticed reduced performance, CPU usage is higher but there appears to be enough overhead to deal with it. I haven't tried any simulators, presumably they might not cope quite as well as they peg the CPU a little harder than the average VR game. People have reported problems with SkyrimVR, but even in cities I don't have any problems.

It's a big difference, not having to deal with a cable anymore. If this isn't standard by Gen 2 it's going to be difficult to upgrade.

I have an almost identical setup, and the worst I get is the screen goes blue for a split second once or twice in an hour like it lost tracking. Well, except for the Institute in Fallout 4. I noticed framerates started dropping when I got in there (apparently the pancake version runs poorly there as well) and I finally started getting reduced quality. I'm talking the picture was very poorly compressed looking non-stop. But outside of that, the rest of the game seemed to run as fine as it did before and I never noticed any differences in quality. Probably going to plug back in for that portion.

But yeah, it makes a world of difference being able to walk around and rotate however many degrees you want in any direction without a care in the world. Makes me want to go back and replay a bunch of other titles.