Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I mean more, like, will the hardware ever ship?

Let's see...

From the original kickstarter page: ESTIMATED DELIVERY: Jul 2014

From their latest April update: It is with a heavy heart we inform you that the release of the STEM System has been delayed until October 2016 due to manufacturing logistics complications which have now been resolved.

Everything's fine, though, your money was just sent to live on your uncle's farm. It's much happier there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Ladies and gentleman we are now 48 hours away from it being 4 weeks of not getting any help regarding my order which they decided to flag in their system as complete without ever having shipped it, which at this point even they admit.... yet still don't correct. BBB complaint is stalled while Digital River tries to claim they bear no responsibility because it's an HTC product and HTC customer service which is a bold faced lie because when I call the digital river phone number instead of HTC's I talk to the exact. same. people. not to mention every single one of their order/shipping/billing documents carries the legal disclaimer "DR GlobalTech. is the authorized reseller and merchant of the products and services offered within this store."

At this point I feel like my only option is to sue them in small claims court to compel specific performance, but I just started closing on a house so I don't have time for this poo poo.

If there wasn't literally not a single equivalent product on the market I would have just done a chargeback ages ago, hell if it was only me I'd have done it because rift would fit my sim needs fine; but it would break my wife's heart because after trying my little brother's Vive she's super excited about roomscale to the point she was worried about where the VR would go when we were house hunting :smith: .

I'm just popping in to rant again cause I'm loving pissed, gently caress HTC and I hope someone else comes out with alternative roomscale product so these fucks can finish the death spiral they were entering before they made this deal with Valve.

Why not just do a chargeback and have a friend order it for you or something?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Roomscale is true VR. There's nothing quite like it. Space Pirate Trainer alone beats anything that the Rift has. A 2x1.5 meter space is the bare minimum but if you can do more it's even better. The Vive can also do everything the Rift can while also being able to do Roomscale out of the box. If you buy a first generation headset, buy a Vive.

However I'll also give you the best advice that anyone in this thread can give: Don't buy first generation VR. It has so many issues that simply will not be present with the second generation headsets.

You'll also run out of stuff to do really fast. There's no harm in waiting right now, it's not like getting a new CoD ripoff or whatever and having the community die after a few months, there's not much to do and you can see it all in a few weeks, pretty much. If you have a friend with one, try theirs out.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Doesn't that really depend if you're a simmer though? I got lost for hours playing Elite when my brother lent me his DK2.

edit:

Amusingly the thing I remember about PayPal being poo poo is screwing over sellers by providing no scrutiny on chargebacks

If you're hardcore about sims or you're just a VR nerd in general then yeah, but those guys are already throwing hundreds or thousands of dollars down a money pit and nothing's going to stop them

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know if this is really true. Theres enough stuff out that I'm still waiting to finish several games, and have others I haven't even touched yet. Between Elite, the euro/american truck games, project cars, chronos, pinball fX, adrift, the climb, ethan carter, lucky's tale, farlands, technolust, esper2, herobound, blaze rush, edge of nowhere, and a bunch of games and other smaller experiences I'm forgetting, there's a lot thats kept me busy since I got my headset. Granted I don't play videogames hours and hours per day, but I haven't gotten bored with VR yet, feeling like there's nothing to play/I've played everything.

There's stuff to try out but not much that's like super incredible or amazing that you can spend hours and hours in, barring some of the sim stuff. Like I played Lucky's Tale for a while but I'm not going to be loading it up to play regularly or anything. Stuff like Chronos is legit great but is only 10-12 hours most likely, and once you beat it, it's over, and it'll still be there once there's more stuff released.

Like there are a few experiences that are really cool but once you try those out but once you've done them the most fun thing is to show it off to other people so they can experience it too. There's simply not much to do, yet. I've personally been spending most of my time recently playing Overwatch on Bigscreen, which is pretty sweet (having a fake giant screen) but probably not worht $600 or $800 to anyone who isn't a crazy person.

Edit:

Ciaphas posted:

Maybe instead I should try finding a fix for the overheating problems on my S6 in the Gear VR and use that before I go spend a grand on other VR crap :v:

Speaking of Gear VR, anyone recommend a controller? It'd be exclusively for the phone/Gear VR, I already have an XB1 controller for the PC.

Yeah, S6 from what I've heard just has a lot of problems :( I have a Note 5 and it's been pretty great, I got this http://www.amazon.com/POWER-MOGA-Pro-Electronic-Games-Game/dp/B00FB5RBJM?ie=UTF8&keywords=moga%20pro&qid=1465339913&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1 when it was about $25 and it's been pretty good, but I'm sure any bluetooth controller would be fine.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Can't you turn down the screen brightness to fix overheating? Or is that just with the earlier phone models?

From last page but this sounds like it sucks, sorry to hear it dude.

Turning down the screen brightness helps, as does turning off the wifi, stopping background processes, etc, but I think the S6 will still just overheat a lot since it doesn't have a good way of dissipating heat while it's in the headset.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

I guess this is where it's more personal on how much you game. I played Chronos for weeks with 2 runs, I only just finished expert on every mountain in the climb, and I've barely had a chance to get into adrift, or ethan carter at all yet. Pinball I'll play often for a quick fix here and there, elite and euro/american truck sim will suck you in, lucky's tail took a while to 100%, and Farlands I'll come back to every few days and play for a little bit too. So far edge of nowhere has grabbed me like mad and I've played like, 4 hours just in one day. Its kept me busy, with a lot of things still unplayed even, for almost 2 months now. All this is the most I've gamed in years as well, so at least personally, I can easily say this ongoing well, thats still not dry for me, has been easily worth the 600 bucks.

Oh yeah, I mean I personally bought both headsets and I haven't gone a day without using one at some point, but I'm mostly talking about the average person. If you know specific things you want to do or are the sort of person who likes pretty much everything there is stuff you can spend time doing, but there's very few that I'd consider to be a killer app or a long list of AAA stuff to play.

The person who is like you is probably not going to make a decision based on what some randos are saying on the internet, you have a pretty good idea already of what you like and want, but if you know little enough about the headsets already and aren't the sort of person who's super into it already, ie people who are asking if they should get a headset or which one, you probably shouldn't be getting one right now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
"hello internet, here is the address for where I live. It is full of ridiculously expensive things. I hope to make sub-minimum wage with my free time."

Edit: "also, please rub your face on my property."

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tweak posted:

what are those red splotches (honeycombs?) on the screen occasionally? and where are the cameras, on the shelf under the tv?

Looks like one's near the corner on the right, and one's to the left of that pole on the left side.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
You can use Steam with both, so that's not really a point in either's favor.

If you want VR now and you aren't just interested in sims, get a Vive. If you don't have anything you desperately want to play now or you can stand to wait, a better idea is to wait until the Touch controllers are out and re-evaluate then. You should also make an effort to try them both out if you can, since there are lots of small differences between them that add up, and which parts are important vary pretty greatly from person to person so it's hard to know which you'd like more without putting them on your head.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ShadowMoo posted:

How bad is the issue of tripping/getting tangled in the cables? That seems like it would be a major fault.

It depends on what you're doing. Some games it's not really a problem (stuff like Job Simulator where you aren't moving all over the place), and a lot worse in others (like Holopoint which encourages you to spin in circles as fast as you possibly can).

Generally it's not too bad and you learn to deal with it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Fallout 4 on Vive in 2017?!?

Edit: That's all Bethesda said, they didn't show anything

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

redhalo posted:

Exclusive to Vive?

He just said "coming to Vive"

I assume we'll know more over time

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I got the impression from the stream that they were going to show it to attendees, so hopefully we'll get some more info soon

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I hope when I jam fistful after fistful of drugs down my gullet in order to become the perfect killing machine my interpretation of the world becomes appropriately hosed

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It looks fun, but might be barfy and doesnt seem like a really good VR game. It doesn't immerse you in being a bird, therefore weakening its bird cred.

I dunno, doing bird trench runs looks sick. I also want to CAW CAW CAW

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/oculus/status/742472995780710401

Oculus thing on youtube according to tweeter in twelve minutes

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Don't know if it's meant to be the main stream but I see no oculus dude atm.

Yeah I didn't see anything either. I checked some other spots on the site but didn't see it either. Oh well!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I didn't really like Holoball but they updated it since I played it and it might be better now. It's pretty cheap either way. I don't know anything about Cyberpong.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ryan_woody posted:

I'm surprised they didn't pimp Dead and Buried harder in this press release. I played it at PAX East and it was a loving blast. In other news, I just got my Rift today and am working through EVE, Lucky's Tale, and Elite Dangerous. I'm considering buying Darknet, Chronos, Airmech Command, Defense Grid, and Keep Talking. Should I pass on any of these?

I haven't seen a single other person playing Airmech online and it's pretty thin if you're just doing single player, so I'd skip that probably if you were hoping to do multi.

Chronos is amazing though play that one for sure

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think it was originally not intended to be released at all, sort of just a cool thing they made that they'd demo themselves, but people asked them to release it so they did. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think funding exclusive games that wouldn't exist otherwise is good and paying for exclusivity on games that already exist is bad. The giant cop and serious Sam things sound like bs. Obviously we don't have all the info but it seems lovely to me.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

look at that new star trak game with levar & company:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romB8e5nMp8

I'm really excited to see how this ends up.

Yeah it looks sick as hell. I get to be the captain though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

You know, i was thinking about it and... what does the captain really do? I'm curious how they'll make him useful as a captain and not just another minigame to play. I mean he can give orders all he wants but if you were playing with a bunch of random people online and the captain sucked, why wouldn't you just listen to the helmsman, or engineer as the weapons officer? The only way I'm thinking it works is if the captain is the only one who has access to all the data, or special data about whats going on that no other station can access so you'll *have* to listen to your captain because he knows things you don't.

The captain controls the airlock

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
http://theclimbgame.com/blog/first-look-oculus-touch-and-the-climb

Discussion about how they're implementing Touch in The Climb. Looks cool.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
STEM lol

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think the screen technology is the part that isn't quite there yet. So far the screens are all essentially lifted off of phone screens, and 4k phones aren't quite a thing. I'm sure the technology is being worked on, though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

So what's the best shooting game out right now, if I had to pick one and only one to buy?

Space Pirate Trainer. It's super fun, the visuals and audio are all great, it feels super good to shoot the robots, and there's a really high skill ceiling. Easily the best one, both from a design and implementation standpoint.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Is there a way to temporarily turn off the chaperone walls? I want to be able to play Elite and HotDS at my desk, natch, but that's technically out of the chaperone bounds

Press the steam menu button, there should be a gear in the bottom right. Click that, then choose Chaperone from the list on the left. If you choose the Developer option they should go away.

Edit: Then, when you forget to turn it back on and run into something when trying to play Space Pirate trainer again, turn it back on.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Show my brother the modern miracle of VR technology and the very first thing he does (after getting violently but briefly motion sick) is draw a giant leviathanic dong in tilt brush, in alarming amounts of detail

Honestly I suppose I should have seen that coming

You probably did see it coming

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Moving on from poor taste puns: it's probably the lack of sleep that's making me dumb, but what's the practical purpose of Virtual Desktop? I mean ok sure nice backgrounds, fine, but is there some use case I can't think of that's better than "take off the headset"?

Overwatch works pretty great. It's like having a giant screen. Resolution is obviously worse but I think it's fun.

Regular, non text heavy games all work.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Incredulous Dylan posted:

My roommate is a loving sweat monster I found. I tried after him and it was literally sopping wet - disgusting, haha. Any cloth will just absorb it right back out pretty quick. Don't know what I'll do about long term funkiness...but nobody else there had any issues even long term (hour plus sessions).

You can remove the Vive headstrap completely, I was able to wash it gently with a small amount of handsoap and water and it didn't seem to damage it. Same deal with the foam, but it is annoying to take off.

Maybe getting some sort of thin cloth cap or something would be a good idea.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

PSVR is going to have public demos at select Best Buy and GameStops. Might be worth it to those sitting on their preorders or for those still on the fence:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-vr/trial/

Sweet, there's some near me, I'll probably check it out

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The wrist straps on VR controllers would certainly get a work out...

I know this is a joke but please don't actually do this, the wrist straps on the Vive controllers are notoriously prone to snapping with even a small amount of force.

You should probably replace them with something better, actually. If you have Wii remotes those straps apparently work well (lol they better, rip an entire generation of TV's)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I havent played a game yet where my hands didnt end up above my head at some point doing something important.

Eh, the leapmotion isn't going to be great regardless, may as well optimize it towards the most common use case.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

El Cid posted:

When you're doing the Vive room setup in one of the steps after drawing the room boundaries you can choose which side of your room rectangle the Vive considers "forward", which might fix your problem. My Vive always tries to set up things so I'm swinging things near my fish tank. It is out to kill my fish.

Oh yeah, a lot of games will make it so what you choose as "forward" is actually "backward," I assume because you point at your monitor to choose the direction and it wants to encourage you not to smash it. For example Space Pirate Trainer the start and where the robots come from is on the opposite side of where you indicate your monitor is.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Also I think its working off the assumption that your computer is near the monitor so if you face the opposite direction the tether will be behind you.

Yeah that makes more sense

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Grey posted:

Any word on how much room space the Touch will use? I assume it will be smaller then the Vive? Will you need to place additional sensors around the room too?

My computer area is limited, so I'm wondering if the Oculus is a better choice because of that?

So far, all the Touch specific things look like they're roughly standing scale, so you won't be moving around much. It's compatible with all the Steam software, though. From most accounts, we can guess that even if you have enough room, the tracking area is probably going to be smaller, but we're talking about only being able to do 2m x 2m (roughly? I don't know exactly what people have confirmed works well) instead of more or something.

I would say if you had a ton of room that would be points for the Vive, but if you don't have a lot of room, then it doesn't matter either way. I'd make the decision based on other factors, like HMD and controller ergonomics, in that case.

Edit: And we don't know what Touch will cost yet so price could be a factor.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I know it's his job to snark and all but I really hope this doesn't come to pass

I really want this stuff to be successful :ohdear:

It's pretty natural to be skeptical, watching videos of VR stuff makes the people look silly and watching videos of their perspective isn't that compelling. It's the sort of thing you have to try to really get.

It's obviously way better than 3DTV once you try it out, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
VR is compelling enough that it's not a matter of if it'll take off, but when. It could definitely take a while based on how things shake out.