Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Look man if I thought these things through I wouldn't be the posting superstar I am today :colbert:

Don't think, Do.

Tinkering is the best thing about PC hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It doesn't even need to be activated On Oculus Home to work with the Rift however, as when you launch it in Steam, it gives you the option to launch in OtherVR or SteamVR, so yea they are giving you something for free to use on Oculus Home, but overall it is Oculus Home just missing out on the $ while still providing the app and bandwidth to install it if you happen to do so.

Similar to how GOG Connect is going currently. Great for consumers, but outside of a little free advertisement, not necessarily lost profits to Steam. If anything, it pushes people to buy on Steam more to get free stuff on other services because More!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm not sure if anyone is interested in these, but since theres such little information I can find about capturing scenes for photogrammetry and not just objects, maybe my trial and error will be useful to someone wanting to try it out.

I just did test #3 of photogrammetry of a small indoor space, this time going from 800 some photos in my first test, to 400 some in my second test, to finally 155 photos in this latest test, yet is still has come out the best. I also took the great advice to have something in the shot that I could use as a size reference to myself and it took 99% of the work out of making it look like the right scale once I was in VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e_lVToOJ2M

The biggest wall I'm running into is that the software really doesn't like anything super dark, and slightly glossy, let alone the spaz attack it does for truly shiny things like the reflective entertainment center (which makes obvious enough sense), or odd/thin complex geometry in a scene. You can see for example my purse resting on a patchwork table that somehow sees the chairs under the table (I did take a couple low angle shots). It also doesn't know what to do with mostly featureless surfaces, hence why there is no ceiling in any of my tries, despite taking photographs that include it every try. It might be worth it for a serious project to put markers on all blank surfaces then edit them out later manually.

All these pictures were around the perimeter, except for a couple of some of the more complex geometry. I actually took another 50 to 100 pictures to try and make sure the coffee table, entertainment center, and such would have enough to not go invisible this time, and it actually made it worse. It almost seems like deep blacks are fairly good at being read as invisible and ignored for whats under it, as the most solid those objects looked was when I had the fewest photos of the details under them. The base of just 155 perimeter shots yielded the best results. Further more, for some odd reason doing a build of the sparse, then dense point cloud on high instead of medium also gave me worse results. I have no idea way.

Obviously its still messy, and if any of this was a final result I'd spend time messing around with modeling software to try to flatten up surfaces and make it a bit more presentable, but right now my focus is on the optimal way to photograph things. My next test I'm going to try to get away with even fewer photos around the perimeter, but also attempt more detail in the corners and places where it likes to bleed through, and also if I can get away with closing the blinds so I can reduce the glare. Without that extra light though, I'm going to need to either bump up to a much longer exposure time, making it all a lot slower, or risk increasing the iso value too high and introducing grain that might confuse the software.

The other big thing I have to consider is if I'm just going about this the completely wrong way and I should be recording thing in a lot more discrete sections, then just compositing it back together.

I could see this being kinda usefull for the "SteamVR Room" where you just build a VR room, of your actual room (Sort of like that self contained AMD VR headset did) and you have a 1:1 visual of where you are in your room, in reality and virtual reality.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Manky posted:

Big Screen is great but Virtual Desktop brings me back every time with its multi-monitor support and new environments in the workshop.

This.

Multi Monitors is pretty slick in Virtual Desktop, setting up my main in front of me and my smaller one for a browser/netflix/whatever to my left. All iMax sized.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

To have multi monitors you actually have to have multiple physical monitors hooked up, right? Or is there a way around that?

Technically you can fake additional screens in Windows, but it can be a bit goofy.

The 2nd screen here on the right is a fake screen I hit "Detect" then "Connect on VGA" Hit apply, then Extended desktop, then apply again, then I was able to set it up to 1080P. Should look just like another screen in Virtual Desktop.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

wolrah posted:

I just installed Minecrift-Vive (now Vivecraft) with Forge support, then dropped the mods folder from my normal modpack install on top of it. The server I play on runs a modified version of the Direwolf20 pack so there are a lot of mods installed and it all seems to work. It is definitely crashy though, I've crashed to desktop about half the times I've played.

Mods are a crapshoot, and server that aren't running the same Vivecraft base might think you are cheating with the whole telaport implementation they had to use.

Mine never crashes, but I don't have any mods or have played on any servers yet so that could be the reason.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Nosthula posted:

News to me, I did Lasik 12 years ago and my vision is still 20/20.

Isn't it only not permanent if your eyes are crap and degrade further after you get Lasik? (so you would have to keep getting new prescriptions without it as time went on either way?)

If your eyes have stayed constant then it would be permanent such as ^.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

Just a quick heads up if you want to try the whole Photogrammetry thing. The trial version of Photoscan doesnt let you save or export so you might want to take that into consideration before you start a multi hour rendering process...

What are you rendering on? Hardware wise.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Mang Tomas posted:

Is getting VorpX to play Skyrim "VR" a good idea? Haven't really finished that game and wondering if playing it in VR is feasible with minimal set up and fiddling with settings. Plan on just playing vanilla for max FPS and stability.

Not necessarily. Even with the Virtuix Omni the game was not built with VR in mind at all so the controls and graphics in VR is quite funky. Shadows and stuff have to be off as well as some UI mods to allow the UI to work in VR I believe.

Without the Omni you are forced to walk around Gamepad style which will bring on Motion Sickness in time unless you have worked up a really good immunity to it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Seems about par with requirements for a rendering farm these days.

I'm halfway there with 32G. Whats upgrading to the full 64G Eh? :getin:

It is things like this and the Encoding/Video Editing I do here and there that make me happy I went with a 6 core when I did. When you are not gaming, and sort of creative outlet requires some really good number crunching and the only thing holding me up now is scratch space/HDD speed. Finally got some room with 1TB SSD now but drat if the size requirements (and therefor speed throughput) just grow exponentially as you go up in video quality.

Also Lemming.

https://twitter.com/quarkcannon/status/745932801057361920

:vrfrog:

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 23, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

KakerMix posted:

That's real dumb what the heck.
Has anyone anywhere asked why it's like that? If Playstations and PCs can play the same games together then I don't get why PCs and PCs can't play together.

It's Really dumb. Also you can play the Steam version just fine on the Oculus so there is no reason not to get it on Steam.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Now if they could just make the Social part of the store actually useful for something, they might have a not so lovely store to buy a few Oculus exclusive games on finally.

Guess time will tell.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Surprise Giraffe posted:

How do I rebind the gamepad controls in Eve Valkyrie? The game doesn't seem to want to let me, doesn't recognise inputs when I'm at the rebind menu. Game's a blast apart from that though!

You can do it from I believe an external .ini file or something. check their forums as there was a write-up for it for those not using the standard Gamepad or X52 joystick.

GlyphGryph posted:

Returned Space Pirate Trainer, got Windlands.

Definitely feels like an upgrade, I am having a ton of fun, but wow. After two and a half hours in Windlands my heart is feeling really weird. Unpleasantly so. I also almost fell over a couple times, getting unbalanced is definitely a real thing in this game and it's the first time It's ever happened to me.

But yeah, exploring and swinging and stuff is really quite fun, I think I'm gonna get a lot of fun out of this one.

And I will figure out how to get to the top of that tower just to the right of the first hub branch. I got so close, now I just need to figure out how to do the very last bit without throwing myself into the pit and having to start over again...

Does anyone know if there's any equipment upgrades or anything? Or is it just collecting mural pieces and gate keys?

Returned SPT? Aww that is literally one of the best games still for the Vive. Love it soo dang much.

Picked up a few other games from the sale, still on the fence about Chronos as I got 4 games for the price of it alone. (Tabletop Sim, Vector 36, Vanishing Realms, and Cloudlands for now)

Finally got some actual time back in the Omni again. Got a write up here if anyone cares to follow it a bit or has any questions.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The Virtuix Omni also works with the GearVR over Bluetooth. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_fLZ_O9-HA

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

You have to give Oculus credit, they may be taking forever it seems, but the tech they are working on is being worked to a fine shine as far as hardware goes before it ships out. Touch seems to be a pretty advanced piece of kit for a "game controller" that easily can be used for a lot more than just games.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I still wish for a Black & White Remake for VR. You already had the hand control and gestures to do stuff. To be able to do them with actual hands and gestures would be amazing. Something Peter would actually be proud of since then.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

If you have either the Rift of Vive and want a great racing game that's a mix of Star Wars Pod Racing and Mad Max, You need to get Vector 36 right now.

I should have been hawking this harder during the Steam sale, but drat if I didn't just throw 2.2hrs into it straight after being a bit too tired to play anything else (I though) beforehand.

You absolutely want a gamepad or joystick as KB+Mouse is a terrible way to try and play, but with the Xbox One pad, the game is really playable once you get the hang of things, and dial in your starter skip with a bit more lift (added a 2nd radiator and hover jets as stock it was just a fat slow pig.

To get started, get used to using the thrust and boost together to get any actual speed (2nd radiator help a lot for this), using the reverse/break to give you a quick boost up when you're about to crash into the ground from a lack of lift, and play with the Lift/Thrust bias based on how even the terrain is. (On a smooth part, bias toward 70% plus for some speed, but back to 65% or less over the rough stuff to keep yourself from ending up as a scrap yardsale on Mars.

It will take a bit to get used to it, but once you do, it is amazing in VR. Need to positional tracking to see above the split in the cockpit window when I'm dipping down to keep the speed up lol. Its great!

^^^ and exactly like you said above, these devs actually do exactly this when you hit a big bump that spins you around. The peripheral vision blacks out to a tiny circle of visibility that is blurry to mimic a high G force hit which is convincing and left me with no weird VR feeling whatsoever. The only time I got a little bit of VR hit was the occasional slowdown as the game is EA and needs a bit of polish here and there. But for what it is currently, drat it is fun in the Rift.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 10, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/VRNewsNow/status/752514884961759232

Getting nerds Fit.

As for Rift GPU support, outside performance limits it is up to being able to use the Rift enabled Nvidia or ATI driver so you could probably go as far back as an Nvidia 400 series, or ATI 7000 series, but not older as then you will run into lack of driver support. On top of that you will still need GPU performance for things like Virtual Desktop because it is still 90FPS you have to hit, and is still rendering on the GPU.

Newer laptops that are "VR Ready" may work, but anything that had switchable graphics or older GPU's are pretty much out as stated. Looks like a lot of newer gaming laptops are being designed with VR support in mind though which is good for future portability.

Also get Vector 36. That game is friggin great in VR in the Rift.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea Cosmic Trip is fantastic but lacking content majorly currently. When they start throwing in a bit more and having some sort of story or levels, then maybe it will be a good game, but at least the groundwork is there and it is pretty solid.

Vector36 seemed to be First Person (cockpit view) only in VR, but I didn't try and see if there was a button to change that as cockpit view was perfect in VR. In 2D I was able to switch between views easily, and the camera/fov tricks it does in 2D does a good job of showing a sensation of speed that VR didn't have at the slow speeds you are going in slower ships lol, however in 2D it was a lot harder to really judge your path and plan accordingly. VR FPV is the way to play for sure.

Multiplayer doesn't seem to be in just yet, but it does have a global leaderboard for track times I believe. You will want to upgrade your skip a lot before you can even think of tackling those times though.

Also I have yet to see any weapons, but I may just be to low level to get them yet, also I won 2 tournaments and even though I got Gold, I never got the Payout. Will have to look into that and maybe start a new save as I know what I am doing now when I didn't earlier and lost a bunch just learning how to fly the darn thing lol.

Also its out..
Gotta give this a try sometime this week.

https://twitter.com/tomshardware/status/752529553894105088

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

AndrewP posted:

I've definitely noticed some slowdown in terms of actual game framerate with my 1070 but the "look" framerate has been silky smooth, which I guess is what keeps me from feeling nauseated. ATW is cool. I wish American Truck Sim ran better - unstable framerate on High but the resolution general crispness looks too bad with anything lower.

Since a 1070 is ~= to a 980Ti currently (until the VR specific special abilities get implemented in VR games) that means your about the same as me and Euro/American Truck Sim has an issue they have still yet to fix in their engine. You sit in a town, and the framerate/cpu/gpu usage goes to crap (FPS drops, CPU and GPU usage are nowwhere near max) but the minute you drive outside of town, usage climbs as does FPS and whatnot.

No idea what it is and have yet to see anything from the devs about it being looked into/fixed and its annoying because some bottleneck is leaving performance on the table as it holds up everything else in the process line in town, which isn't really that big of a town in the first place.

Similar bottleneck feel as running the Rift through SteamVR for games like Elite and such too.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Racing games make me want to get a wheel and pedals :(

Find a used G25/27 that fully works and go nuts. The G29/920 have the stupid shifter bought separate and are still essentially identical to the G27 outside of console specific buttons and its stupid. :mad:

Also If you don't have a way to mount the wheel nicely to your desk (or just don't want to mess with mounting/unmounting it each time you want to race, I can recommend this neat deal.

It is simple but works well once you get the cables all organized well. Makes it easy to move around as a set and you can lower it down to store if need be.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Min Requirements is a 1060 (so like a 980) and max recommends a 1080 or greater or SLI cards and a 980Ti dedicated to PhysX.

Proprietary to the max, but drat I look forward to seeing what some top hardware can make that game look like, and the future of high end VR productions as the hardware matures and gpu's continue to get better.

drat waiting for that 1080Ti is tough.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea the main features like VR SLI is supported even on the 700 series, and the VRWorks Multi-res Shading was a Maxwell marketed VR feature as well. Nothing of Pascale's VR features appear to be cooked in yet, but it will still be pretty demanding for lower end stuff.

Though I would like to see how it performs on a 780(Ti) SLI system.

Also the SLI stuff I would like to see some people test with a dual 8x PCI-E 3.0 system and a dual 16X system just to see if it is feasible on anything below a X79/X99 system currently.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Exactly. The FOV becomes a non issue once you get into a game that takes your attention off of Reality.

Also get your IPD dialed in. I got checked at the eye exam spot at my work, and once I dialed my IPD in correctly, no more weird feeling/tired eyes after playing with either the Rift/Vive, now I just have weird feeling/tired body after playing for a period of time because I have a deskjob and VR is an actual workout if you're playing it right, especially in the Omni.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I have and love both. Use my Rift mostly for sit down sims and such and really love it for that, and when I have the time and energy, the Vive setup for roomscale is a ton of fun as well.

Rift continues to be a bit easier on the eyes and the better optical fov clarity is a plus but overall until touch arrives, I am really glad I have both so I am left out of nothing not of this reality*... Mwhahaha

*Except GearVR. Don't have a Samsung, but with a Nexus 6P, I hope Daydream VR will be nearly the same thing...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

Is Daydream VR going to be compatible with older models? I'm waiting for next-gen Nexus coming out next month.

The only current gen phone that was announced to be supported was the Nexus 6P (Due to the AMOLED screen for low persistence which the 5X doesn't have).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

Heads up, apparently that overlay does NOT work with the Rift in some games, most prominently Elite. It uses SteamVR and those games forcibly use Oculus's rendering solution, which prevents it from working.

Hopes crashed like when I tried to land on a 5g planet.

That was something that the "V" guys with their overlay were working on. They said that Elite has issues due to its Engine not being Unity/Unreal so its taking them a bit longer to get it working. Probably the same reason it isn't working for Rift in Elite either which is unfortunate.

The second it works in the Rift and Elite is the second I am back to playing Elite. At least we know we are close.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

If you have a 2500K, do you have it Overclocked any or are you running it stock?

Stock it will be CPU limiting but that chip has a lot of headroom to run above 4Ghz which should alleviate pretty much any CPU limiting factor for any current VR game.

Also I just picked up the Beta for Everspace as the screen and gameplay looked really good as a VR Freelancer sort of game. (Rogue Galaxy is great too, but not in VR). So I will be checking that out this weekend I hope.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Fixed the A/C in my car myself (20+ year old A/C hose and the replacement had stupidly long fittings that needed to be ground down. Also needed a new shrewder valve.) Nice n cool beater for work commuting now.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Nope, I was an idiot back in 2011 and didn't shell out the extra dosh for the OC'able version. Had never OC'd a CPU before, thinking it still worked like it did in the Pentium2 days, so figured I didn't need it.

Honestly, I'm planning to get a i5-6600k sometime soon-ish, but was kind of hoping I could do a little VR in the meantime if I bought a headset.

It should still work fine, Oculus seems a bit more forgiving on CPU overhead than the Vive but outside of that you should still be able to play plenty.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

That seems odd, considering that Oculus is doing image processing from a USB3 video stream, while the Vive is just picking up on pulsed lasers. Unless you meant the games in general?

That keeps being brought up but has been proven to be pretty much moot.

How Moot?

I ran a few test when I first got my Rift and was able to play games like EVE Valkyrie with my 3930K CPU locked at 1.2Ghz with the affinity set to a single core for both the game and the Oculus process'es. (one core access for the game, and another for the Oculus stuff so emulating it as if it was working on a dual core).

It was perfectly playable.

Same with Farlands and Henry :)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

FormatAmerica posted:

So I got access to the V alpha today and it's pretty neat.

It's an injector that adds a web browser window into any VR game (currently only oculus games launched from the store, openVR & vive soon). Also adds a persistent clock and fps counter (you have to look way up) while a window is open, reported >90 fps the entire time and performance - outside of clipping in and out of the game's geometry - was good.

I can see myself using it for looking up bits of game walkthroughs if I ever get stuck, watching tv/movies, and maybe even popping into chat clients instead of trying to peek out the bottom or taking the headset off.

I got in as well but was waiting to comment until I got my hands on the newer build. I played with both it and the Unity overlay that was posted a week or so ago that works in SteamVR stuff.

They both work for what they are designed for, V needs a bit more control over the window which the devs say is coming as well as pinning so you can go back to what you were doing while the window remains in place. The Unity overlay worked well for that, but only works in the SteamVR games and is much harder to tinker with exclusively in VR unless I am missing some part of the VR Overlay working with that. It worked really well to bring VLC and such in which I hope V will do soon as well.

Right now V cannot do Netflix (or any Silverlight app yet) nor does it work in Elite yet but they say both are coming along and will work eventually.
I am also meeting up with the V team at VRLA this weekend so I look forward to that. Going to network my rear end off to see if I can get my foot into the VR door like I have been wanting.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Eddy I saw you mentioned No Man's Sky in the GPU thread, I knew some stuff about the game but now I'm super pumped because I found out 65daysofstatic did their soundtrack and put it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWX54C49pw

Yea I listened to the one song for the Intro or whatever on Soundcloud months ago and loved it. The game seems to hit a lot of good points with the Audio definitely being one. I do hope VR comes to it in time as being able to fly around in VR (and even some walking around, maybe add roomscale support for that?) would sure be fun.

Even without, it just looks really promising so I hope they do deliver. It and Astroneer I really look forward to. There is just something about space/exploration games...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So anyone going to VRLA this weekend? Will be there for Saturday trying to see and network with as many VR companies as possible.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well VRLA was pretty sweet. Some good Keynotes and stuff with the Hololens and other talks about the future of the VR industry.

Didn't get to try as many experiences as I had wanted as each line in the expo was multiple hours long, but I heard great things about Mind show and the HP dome experience thing. I finally got to try the Star Trek Bridge Simulator and have to say that is going to be a must have when it's out. Get 4 friends together and its going to be hilarious fun. With randoms like at the event, we're lucky that the scenario sort of let's you win regardless how bad you play, but I hope in the full game it has the depth that when you truly work together well, you can kick some rear end proper. Most of the time I was watching, tactical was just hitting every button that lot up to fire something and didn't have any real regard for distance or shields/noshields.

Still extremely fun and touch felt great to hold and use. Kaz, how have you been liking that Dev kit they sent you?

Overall after this event though, I will be very happy to get back to my own VR to use in a more quiet, and comfortable environment.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Given it looks like it'll be the very end of the year before they're out, I sure hope touch is some kind of amazing! Now that there's a ton more roomscale games out for the Vive, the Rift is starting to seem like a really lovely choice.

The Touch worked really well and I liked the natural feel of it in my hands over the Vive's remotes for what I could imagine much more relaxed long term play. After a few minutes into the demo, I didn't even remember I was holding them to play until I was done which was something I didn't expect personally.

That and the graphics for the game were great and I got lost in the job I was doing over worrying about any graphical or screen door effect so it was pleasant they had it polished down this well.

The graphics sharpness seemed to be on par with Farlands in quality so everything was sharp, crisp, and looked great even with the slightly more cartoon effect of the game. And it was all running on AMD rigs with a single 480 with no hitches whatsoever.

I agree with the post above though, the event was great and the Keynotes were good, but the demo lines were retarded (up to 4hrs for Mindshow!?) and some of the smaller ones lost their appeal as you could see they either toned it down for the sake of time. (Talon systems went from Project CARS for their moving chair to a roller coaster which was much shorter, but they nailed the whole effect as far as I can tell from those that tried it. Only thing that was missing per everyone was air in your face.)

Still was pretty awesome to go and I might have an in with the V team to be their Social Marketing guy so that would be really cool. He has a cool team of guy that all live and breath this stuff too.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I will say that the Vive finally turns itself off when you are not wearing it finally. :v:

Still have no idea what that button on the headset itself does though.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

AndrewP posted:

Upgrading to Windows 10 seemed to solve the problem.

Which is good, because Elite: Dangerous nicely supersampled, along with Voice Attack and some classic rock, is a drat compelling VR experience.

So on that note, I fiddled with the V app some more (the OculusVR overlay thing) and was able to get it working in the Oculus Home Launched version of Elite! :woop:

Behold! Balls of Fury running through Plex in Elite in OculusVR!

Guess were I will be this weekend...

It allows you to move around and pin the window wherever you want in your view. The Screenshot comes from the Mirror window which makes it look all messed up.

Also if you are having issues with it after updating to Windows 10 Anniversary Update for those of you in the Alpha already, Windows broke Chromium again so if you launch V in Compatibility mode for Win8, the browser windows will work again. Yay! :downsgun:

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 25, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

TomR posted:

Personally I don't understand the people that do this. If I'm playing a game and I'm bored enough to want to watch TV at the same time I'll just stop playing the game and go watch TV. I play Elite and the only thing I miss in VR is being able to look at 3rd party websites on my second monitor when I need to know something.

That V plugin does that too. I just had the Plex Site up playing a video through it in VR. It is all web based bookmarks currently, but it works great now.

For those in the Alpha, I got it to work with Elite both through Oculus and Steam. Start Elite (not SteamVR though sorry Vive guys, unless you ReVive) like normal, get ingame in VR, close the launcher, start V, put EliteDangerous64 in the Process box and hit Inject. Boom! Worked multiple times last night for me.

It worked once with V running before I started Elite from Oculus, but then V gets crazy and tries to inject into all the processes that start with Elite and craps itself. (there are like 4 before EliteDangerous64 actually starts) The manual way works best currently, and I am working with the devs to dial it in to make it all automagic properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Someone who can afford a VR system but forgets the SSD makes zero sense to me. That's like ordering a red convertible sports car with the sport package, but then opting for the Eco 2.0L 4 cylinder engine.

SSD is cheap these days, you can get a name brand 960GB SSD for ~$225 shipped on Amazon these days. All my digital photos, digital movies etc still live on redundant rotational drives on a NAS server in the closet though.

Hey Hey HEY!. There is nothing wrong with a fun convertible sports car, with the sport package, with an Eco(Tec) 2.0L Turbo 4 Cyl engine. It just so happens it can smokw the doors off of similar convertible sports cars with big ol V8 engines and hundreds of more pounds to push around. (Man I sound old talking like that, however the magic of Corn Oil and this little 2L Turbo did show me that we are no longer in the torqueless 4Cyl days of old).

But I completely agree on the SSD's and am waiting for the day that 2+TB drives stop costing more than they should. I run 2 500G 850 EVO's in Raid 0 for my OS + a few choice games that need to load fast (Star Citizen :v: ) but run 2 2TB WDBlacks for Steam Games and other stuff, and they are full as well. (with slow internet, it s best to have what you might want to play downloaded and patched up, or else by the time you actually get it downloaded, you may not care or have time to play it then...)

Someday we will have 4TB SSD's be like $200 or so... But until then. Stupid Plater Drives will have their place I guess. But for an OS drive, there is no excuse not to at least have a 256G SSD running that, 500G if you want the better long term performance though.

Helter Skelter posted:

Looking at it again, I was mistaken. Handbrake can copy audio streams, but will only transcode video, it seems. Avidemux is another tool you can use if you want to try something different.

You can RipBot the video into some other format, just sucks that all the VR players really suck at playing MKV's with anything but crappy audio. Ugh

When will VLC VR become a thing and we can just play whatever the heck we want?