Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

You might want to get yourself an SSL cert there buddy

Yea, I poked our web guy about that as I just saw that too.

If anyone needs any help with V, I'm always in our Discord to assist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Giovanni0109 posted:

Will it work in a Pimax 5k+ headset?

It should, but right now we're having a hell of a time keeping up with SteamVR. It works for some, not for others. We're still trying to get a handle on it but it's worth a try.

Chubby Henparty posted:

Just wanted to say that after coming back to vr its good to see you're still going, can't wait to see how its looking these days.

Yea our team is small and we do what we can in our spare time. We do have a major redesign coming soon which should help with a lot of stuff going forward.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Played VR Dungeon Knight with a friend after I picked it up on sale last weekend. Finally fired it up tonight and have to mimic the other reviews. It's a pretty dang good Diablo for VR Dungeon Crawler that has some nice mechanics that work well for offence and defense, as well as neat dungeons, great graphics, and all made by a single Dev.

The Co-Op play is pretty great too so if anyone wants to meet up for a run let me know.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Giovanni0109 posted:

Trip report on Karnage Chronicles. Having a lot of fun with the significant other playing this.

The introduction section is really good for helping a new player get setup and the hosting and connecting to do VR multiplayer is pretty painless. It's a VR dungeon crawler, and the environments we've seen so far are quite nice looking. We've done some Rec Room and Climbey before, but she's never really played an RPG / dungeon crawler game before and the fact that she's picking it up and enjoying it has been a lot of fun.

There are basically two classes, warrior and archer, with warrior having a sword/shield and crossbow (three shots at a time and then requires reloading) and archer having a dagger/tiny shield and bow (similar to other VR bow mechanics). You tend to depend more on ranged combat, so you choose your class more on that. It's not super deep of a game or anything yet, but it's been quite satisfying so far. Have others tried it out?

Hmm, I wonder how this compares to Karnage Chronicles.

Karnage is part of the bundle that I found with VR Dungeon Knight. I want to pick it up too eventually but VRDK was on sale and Karnage was not. Also VRDK just had an update not too long ago where Karnage's last update was in Feburary so that has a little bit of pull as well. Both look great though so I may pick up Karnage later too.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

Anyone know of a decent laptop backpack that can cool a laptop running while inside it? My in-laws have a very large barn/garage that was amazing with the Quest this past weekend, and I'm imagining 1:1 scale Gorn now and can't stop. I've got a capable laptop and a Rift S so I just need a way to strap it to my body and keep it from overheating.

This is where Wireless VR comes in handy. Hopefully TPCast is on the ball about getting a wireless adapter for it soonish.

A gaming laptop can go id say about 90% full tilt on battery, but may only last about 20-30 minutes tops.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Thats kinda cool. Wish my Printer would print anywhere near accurate enough to print those though lol.

On that note though, has anyone tried the little earbuds that came with the OG Vive? Does the short cable reach one of the Quest ports and then to both your ears? I need to find mine before I can try and see.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hellsau posted:

There is a market for good VR music visualizers. Lots of music weirdos, like my brothers and I, loved Winamp visualizers back in the day.

I guess you could just load up big screen or VRDeaktop and Winamp and enjoy them all over again too. Hmmm

I still have the original Black and White dancing bear one as well as the Knights Tale visualizer too from back then. And of course some good old Milkdrop.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea I spent >$100 on software for the Quest before I even got it so i'd say $5M in such a short time, with sold out hardware stock, isn't a bad place to be for what is still a sort of an unknown demand market.
That GMG sale isn't going to help things either once I get a chance to take a good look later today.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

You say that like Facebook has a huge physical product history. They have a huge social media market sure, but as far as physical products go, their history is quite checkered with failures and other garbage. Oculus is probably one of the few ventured that while Facebook owns them, is still making reasonable strides not only in hardware, but the technology, and bank rolling many of the games/devs that first made VR what it is today.

You should be just as mad that you can't play games not sold by Nintendo on the Switch, or iOS apps not sold through the App Store.

As long as the Quest has sideloading abilities, they don't care what you can do unofficially, but officially, they want to know what you are installing and the experience it is going to give you. It's exactly the same as how the Rift can play SteamVR but you have to install and use SteamVR and toggle the switch to allow it in the Oculus software.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

Does MS care enough about VR to add support to the new Flight Sim? Because that's all I want in this world right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReDDgFfWlS4

WTF they are actually finally making another one!

Woo!

I do think it will have VR support but drat that does look like it may need some good hardware to play with all the bells and whistles turned up to 11.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I do wonder if the TPCast guys are going to release some sort of dongle set you can plug into both your PC, and the other into your Quest and that can bypass all the latency issues of having to go through the Quest Wireless alone.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

What is interesting is I have shown VR to my CoWorkers and a hand full of other people, (Busy friggin month so not much outside of work/family) but two coworkers then have gone out to get PCVR headsets. Go figure.

One has gotten deep into VR Dungeon Knight. Unlocked pretty much all the weapons and maxed a hand full of them.

Also since I already do have the Router for the TPCast for my VIVE, I wonder if I can connect my Quest to it and get better performance then my normal Router. Hmm might have to try that tonight.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

It was supposed to be "upgrade to Windows Vista, this is what directx 10 can give you!" but it was of course nothing like that big an upgrade. That being said I believe the new flight simulator video because have you seen Forza horizon 4? Shits incredible

I can believe that. The Forza series looks fantastic and runs really well, so making it work fast enough for VR I couldn't see being near as hard as say, making the next Elder Scrolls run in VR on the same old engine...

Either way, I am supper happy to see Microsoft back in the Flight Sim game.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I could easily see the new Flight Simulator running and looking that good on an Xbox OneX since its hardware is immensely better than OG Xbox One, however it could also be one of the new titles attached to Xbox's new Streaming platform as well so until we know more, we don't know.

However missing VR support out of the gate, since Flight Simulator is supposed to be a reasonably realistic slower paced flying game unlike Forza Horizons more hectic crazy gameplay (and the fact that Forza 7 was a bit of a step backwards with its loot boxes or whatever) could be part of why they didn't put VR into it yet/ever.

Sure it could completely miss out on it, but the dedicated flight sim crowd with their usual TrackIR requirements and disposable income for HOTAS/YOKES/ETC could easily spring for VR if the implementation is spot on.

If anything, a VR Plugin will happen very shortly after if its not official. So I'm Not worried either way.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

On the offshoot there are enough Devs that want to get Onto the Quest but for some reason or another cant, there currently is literally nothing stopping a 2nd sideloadable marketplace from formulating. Sure that could be looked down upon by Oculus, but overall as long as its not Oculus branded or anything and has to be side loaded, and doesn't carry games that are on the Oculus Store itself, I don't see it being blocked/removed if people want to tread into unknown waters. Oculus would just invalidate your warranty/not support any issues you may run into short of Hard Reset or something.

Hell SideQuest is well on it's way to doing just that.

And Lemming, you're not going to win against the Pigeons at this Chess game bud.

How the F do I keep sniping pages? I am unintentionally really good at it. :woop:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Controller shape does seem to play into accuracy in some games for sure. I notice on my Quest I am way better at Space Pirate Trainer with the railgun then I could every seem to get with the Vive wands. That and being completely untethered really makes that game enjoyable.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

JHVH-1 posted:

Its hard to tell with some of these developers if Oculus is being overly picky, being jerks, or the developer is just expecting everyone to roll out the red carpet. They make a vague statement on twitter or reddit and then it unleashes the hoard of weirdos to dogpile on Oculus right away without any inside knowledge. Doesn't help that Oculus isn't transparent about things either.

It just annoyed me the Pavlov app was distributed as an apk and data file, and a windows script with adb exe bundled. I had to go through it line by line to figure out what it was doing just so I could sideload on my mac. Some of these developers will do things to make it easy for some but not user friendly. I was going to write a shell script of my own cause its a hassle to manage every release deleting and copying and moving an obb file or whatever it was.

I also found the Pavlov menus to be confusing. It has some tutorial thing that it forced you to obey to get it to go away but it wasn't clear what it was having you do, and I didn't realize where the menu even was to go multiplayer.

Agree on a lot of this too. Pavlov's in stall was a bit janky, and should be easier with Sidequest at least, however once you are in the game may be very good in play, but the menu's suck, the overall guidance on how to do everything sucks, a lot of it is stuff that other games do really well to get you into the game in VR and this one just doesn't have that polish. Though being what, a single developer, might have something to do with that and what his priorities are at, however the PC version last I checked wasn't any better in that regard either. I believe the gunplay ingame is actually pretty good though so it is popular because of that at least.

Wouldn't be the first time a Dev acted sort of like an entitled twat though and shot themselves in the foot. You can read like 1 in 5 games on Steam have reviews where people reach out to provide feedback on an EA game or something and the Dev responds like a jerk and either gets downvoted into oblivion, game never gets updates anyway, etc. Both sides can easily be at fault and some creators really lack at taking criticism/advise sometimes that even when related to key areas that are not part of their "Creative element" and they go off the rails.

Also wasn't there no Steam part of Pavlov in the Quest version anyway? It was setup to only be Quest vs Quest multiplayer even.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I doubt my printer (Old crappy Tiko) could print that properly, but might be worth a shot. Hmm

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Not the first time something like this has happened.

Hell the makers of Pebble hated Microsoft so much for "reasons" that even when Microsoft said they would write the Pebble app themselves to fully support it on Windows Phone way back in it's early days (7/8/8.1), they wouldn't take them up on it.

Sometimes the Devs can really have a odd hangup that no Publisher even with the best of intentions/assistance/offers can seem to break through.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea posted in the NMS thread as I just finished playing for a few hours (Time flies in VR in NMS drat). Game feels great in VR and so far with my old X79 rig and a 2080, no performance hitches whatsoever (I already had my screen/setup dialed in V-Sync wise for G-Sync so that helped).

My work PC with the same 6 core but a 560Ti does have the the crash before the game starts so at least the one that is crashing isn't the important one.

This is really a great game in VR as everyone had hoped, and they did a really good job making it work. I will be spending a lot more time in it than before.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It looks like they already have a number of fixes in the Experimental build. Check out the Pinned discussion on steam on how to access it. They already have 2 updates out since release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well I know they do probably have some optimization to do, but I also did have an 980Ti and wanted a little extra oomph for both VR and Ultrawide gaming so hence the 2080 upgrade (which should be roughly the same performance as a 1080Ti).
Though others even with a 1080Ti have reported some performance issues as well and I am even running the Rift through SteamVR which usually has a performance penalty as well for all games that go through it to the Rift (VS using say a Vive or other SteamVR headset).

Really weird how inconstant the reports seem to be but without being able to really one on one diagnose with someone I can't say what to change to make things better right off the bat. If someone would like me to take a look and see if I can spot something that would probably be to blame, feel free to PM me. Troubleshooting PC's is sort of my thing. :/

I was as surprised as anyone how I was able to plug in my Rift, fire up Steam VR, and the game just worked right off the bat. Even the audio was just a single switch in the Audio Settings in Win10 away and it just worked. Usually I am always tinkering with something to get it to work for at least a hour or two, and by that time I am done wanting to play VR at all.

One thing I do need to get soon is a replacement Rift cable. Mine seems to have an issue somewhere where the screen will go black in short bits and if I don't wiggle it back in the right way, it will eventually conk out and I have to exit and unplug/replug to get it to work again. :(