Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SwissCM posted:

They'd only really need to buy a wireless mouse. The keyboard really isn't needed, though current controllers aren't particularly ergonomic when holding them with one hand.

They really need to bite the bullet and implement native mouse support on consoles, perhaps create a one-handed controller to go along with it. There's already stuff out there as you mentioned, it'd just need to be changed so it works natively. Might as well throw in actual keyboard support while they're at it, though I think, technically, both the XBone and PS4 support keyboards already though for text input. You could still segregate mouse and controller users online but at least there's the option for console players to compete on a level playing field and lets face it, FPS games will always control better using mice and mouse-like inputs over sticks.

Yeah that's true, in many ways controller in one hand and mouse in the other is even superior to M&KB (analog joystick beats digital keys, although keyboards pack tons of keys together if you need a ton of keybinds, where on a controller you'd end up having to chord the inputs)

The Steam Controller is pretty interesting as a hybrid of like a trackpad or an orbit ball mouse with a controller.

I like the VIVE controllers but I kinda wish one of them had a thumbstick as well as the touch pads...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SwissCM posted:

The Dreamcast and PS2 supported mice on some games!

I just don't see the point in segregating the two anymore, particularly with crossplay on XBOX it ends up limiting the online userbase for both platforms. Segregating online players by control input just makes more sense to me.

Dude I already covered all of this several posts ago.

Microsoft did tests and they found mouse always wins. If you allow mouse, it creates an environment where everybody has to buy a mouse. Lots of couch gamers don't like that, and the execs have decided that's not the direction they want to market their product.

Its as simple as that. Modern consoles already support USB mice and keyboards, you just can't really use them for anything.

Crossplay on xbox doesn't exist for FPS, for that exact reason.

Segregating by control input sounds great until you realize the consequences; forcing players into game queues that are twice as long is just gonna piss everybody off, and if one of them is more popular it creates a snowball effect where everybody moves to controller because trying to matchmake with mouse users takes too long. So again, there's no point.

SwissCM posted:

People are choosing platforms based on what their friends are using. It'd be cool if I could play with my friends on XBOX just by using a controller on my PC, or if they could use mouse input on consoles. The playing field is still level and no one has to buy extra hardware, outside of the peripherals. It's not like it's a whole lot of extra effort, if it's on PC already then most of the work is already done.

Also, mice are better for FPS games. It's indisputable and it's a major factor of why people go with PCs for that kind of gaming in the first place. Allowing mice in the right circumstances could be a selling point simply by virtue of being a better control method.

The companies would far rather have you have to purchase an xbox to play with your friend on xbox than let you do otherwise. You're not thinking about it like a business. That exclusivity is what drives console sales.

A fraction of those who own consoles would still own them if you could literally do everything on PC. Exclusivity is what sells.

You're just whining here dude. Sorry the world doesn't beat to your drum.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I'd love to see a Battlefield style game where the troops or other roles are played in 2D, while planes and tanks or whatever are operated by VR players. Imo that would be rad.

Yeah I'd love to see more things like this. More asymmetric games that mix in different roles and game styles.

mellowjournalism posted:

Again, just remember that 99% of VR devs and players are extremely lazy and play even melee games standing stock straight up. Get in a goddamn crouch, get into the goddamn game, play it like you're a goddamn gladiator and it is 1000000% more fun.

I literally play Super Hot VR like I'm Neo and its 1999

http://i.imgur.com/N6GHuBu.gifv

I do this and it actually works in-game. The "time moves when you do" makes it really easy to go all slow-mo action movie star.

I'm tempted to do a John Woo style dive but I'd probably kill myself / break something. :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

There is also the racing sim community who have really taken to VR, I am one of them and there is like a 50 / 50 mix these days in iRacing (according to an anecdotal forum poll) who use VR.
It's awesome to see, VR has just been another bit of hardware for sim guys for a long time and that sense of it just being another peripheral means it's genuinely taken a foothold I think

It also helps that the racing sim community is used to paying a little extra and getting by with lesser graphics in order to get greater realism. Most of them have already shelled out tons of money for 3-monitor racing rigs, and by comparison a VR headset is actually much cheaper, smaller, and easier to store.

Its also seen as less gimmicky, since its just another way to get at what they already know they really want; immersive simulation driving. The experience is still the exact same. Unlike moving from a 2D game like Counter Strike to a VR game like Onward, where the experience itself has to dramatically change in order to adapt to the new input style.

Heck, that's another good point. Racing games still generally use the same inputs whether in VR or not. Either you're using a feedback wheel or you're using a gamepad. Vr or otherwise. So its less of a change, its more like just getting a new monitor than playing an entirely different game on an entirely different game system.

On the other hand I think a lot of people who don't play VR see the VIVE controllers or the Oculus controllers and they think "This is just the Wii all over again". They don't see how VR really allows you to do the things that Wii promised but failed to deliver. They've been cheated once and they don't wanna fall for the same ruse again. (But this time its real!)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Agreed, I'm talking about guys with sim set ups primarily, so they all have wheels and a lot are relieved to ditch / not have to buy and deal with three monitor set ups.

The experience is hugely different though, the way you interact with the car and surroundings is so natural it's impossible for me to go back, there is just no contest imo

Little things like I can crane my neck to see the pace car setting off up the grid or much more important things like being able to see apex's and look through corners, it';s honestly a bit of a dream come true for me

What's your favorite racing sim? iRacing?

I've got a proper racing seat and wheel and I've got a VR setup but I've mostly played war thunder / elite dangerous in VR as well as all the job sims and stuff like that, I tried some racing games on the Oculus DK1 and DK2 forever ago and got kinda turned off because the support wasn't there yet.

iRacing is real hardcore but I kinda want something with a little more polish. I bought Assetto Corsa forever ago but I've literally never played it, I guess I should try it out but dunno how VR support is. Is Project CARS any better?

I also have Dirt 2 but I think VR support for that one was hack-y and expirimental at best. And then I have all the Forzas and Gran Turismos which is why I have a racing wheel in the first place, but none of those support VR obviously.

Dirt Rally is on sale... Hm only Rift support but could you ReVIVE it?

Oh, another reason I'm not as crazy about iRacing is I'm not really an Indy racer at all, and I hate stock car racing. I much prefer rally cars and sports cars.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 4, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chadzok posted:

What a terrible idea to get my Vive during the sales. So much money... there is an absolute smorgasbord of content for VR now. And a deluxe strap on its way to Australia, hopefully.

So with asymmetric local multiplayer games like the Diner Duo, can I play the keyboard/gamepad role on the computer that is running SteamVR for the Vive player, or do I need a second computer? Because if we can play with just one computer, that opens up a whole new genre of games for me to spend money on.

quote:

The chef plays in VR and cooks the food while the waiter is played on the same computer the VR-headset is connected to.

Sadly it says "local multiplayer", I'd actually kinda like to play that with a second computer online (or even over a LAN tunnel if needs be) but it seems like it only works with the same-computer. But it also sounds like that's what you want :)

This is the kind of PSVR Room asymmetric gameplay I was just talking about. Sadly there's not many games that do it yet, we need more of them. And those that are feel more like short demos.

Diner Duo looks kinda cool... I was just saying somebody should make the cooking stage of Job Sim into a bigger game like Cook, Serve, Delicious. That said, looking at the video, it looks way way way more limited than Job Sim's cooking section. If you're going to build a whole game around that, it needs to be deeper, not shallower. Just layering different combinations of meat and cheese is going to get boring if that's all you cook.

"steam review posted:

Wanna fight your wife because she can't tell her head from a #5 if her life depended on it? Buy this then.

:lol:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 4, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's much more interesting than Job Simulator because you have to keep up with the demand of orders instead of "Hello Worker, Please make a burger for us to consume". Its depth comes from the actual challenge as part of its design rather than the breadth of interaction that Job Simulator allows for which is often confused for its "depth".

Yeah, but Cook, Serve, Delicious manages to do both. That's what I was wanting. C,S,D has the speed and challenge but slowly lets you unlock more and more recipes, machinery, improve the quality of your diner, change the menu to attract different customers, etc.

I wasn't saying Job Sim was deep. Its obviously not. That's the point. I wanted something deeper. But this feels even more shallow, even if it has challenge. Maybe there's more to it than what I'm seeing in the trailer.

The reviews are all pretty glowing though so I may pick it up anyways at that price.

But one of the reviewers was like "man if we could get pizza diner or sushi diner as DLC that'd be great" and that's exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking. C,S,D has that stuff as well as the Root Beer Tapper style tenacity.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nobody Explodes is highly recommended and the other "player" can be on anything from a smartphone to a printed piece of paper to a laptop to the same computer as your VIVE is on. Definitely get that one since its on sale, if you like party games and board game style affairs.

Chadzok posted:

But you're right, it's a way undertapped market. People with kids especially would buy heaps of these sorts of games.

Yeah for real, the PSVR demo disc has a few little things like, there's one where one player is a ghost buster but he can't see the ghosts, but the other players can see the ghosts on the TV and have to shout out where they are for the ghostbuster in VR to vacuum them up.

Or there's one where the guy in VR is godzilla and the other players control little characters with controllers who are running away from the godzilla on the TV. The VR player actually bobs his head around to munch the players like he's a godzilla, he has no controller, only his body movements. Its wild stuff.

We really need more of that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

When you say the AI sucks, what do you mean exactly? Unrealistic driving? Rubber-banding and cheating? Or just easy to beat and slow?

I'm not really a competitive racer.

Dirt Rally being on sale for $17 makes me think I should pick that one up for now. Like I said, rally is more my thing. May get Project Cars down the line. iRacing is super cool but I really hate monthly fees and I'm not competitive so not my cup of tea.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Truga posted:

Apparently it's already in testing holy poo poo https://github.com/cmbruns/gz3doom/releases

There's been ways to play Doom in VR for like a year now? I don't know where the original version was but I've played it. It works but it feels awful, sprites in VR just DOES NOT WORK.

Quake on the other hand is pretty great with its low-poly environments. Game is a bit too fast, but if you play on easy it works out okay.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah I remember exploring doom with gz3doom like back in the dk2 days even. It was really neat to see OG doom from that perspective, and explore classic mods I remembered like action doom 2, chex quest, batman, etc, but it really was more interesting for nostalgia than something I wanted to spend a lot of time in.

Maybe motion controls would change that but its just just... i dunno.

I wouldn't be willing to do it unless somebody did like a voxel replacement for the sprites or something. It just feels so bad to be running around and constantly seeing all the enemies and things in the world slide and spin along the ground as you turn. Feels bad.

It is really really cool walking around in VR in old video game spaces that were never designed for VR, though.

Somebody ripped the bar from the game Catherine and the beach from Bioshock Infinite into Steam VR home and its pretty wild to just pop into a space like that. I would kill to have Bioshock 1 or 2's Rapture City available as a chatroom. Like holy poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kreiger!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfVCTGrOVXE

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

iceaim posted:

Sprites in VR work fine. Case in point: Quell 4D. Also I tried that version of Doom too, and it looked fine to me aside from the expected billboarding.

The point of the experience is to feel like you're inside a 90s era shooter not for a ultra photo realistic experience.

But you're in VR. Maybe you like Quell but I loving hate it. Two minutes of watching corpses spin around on the ground made me never want to watch that game again.

Dude, talk about your loving strawman arguments, and a bullshit false dichotomy. The only options are retro 90s or ultra photo realistic? Really? What about games like Battlezone?

Battlezone is a retro styled shooter with non-photo-real graphics so it renders fast and smooth in VR. And there's no sprites.

Saying sprites alone transforms a VR experience into a 90s shooter is like saying more Doom clones should stick to only using right angles so they're more like Wolf3d. There's other ways to achieve a retro look, like palette and resolution, that don't have to make you use sprites. Like I just suggested, using voxel model approximations for the sprites would give them the exact same aesthetic but avoid the "turning around as you do" issue.

iceaim posted:

That happens even on a monitor when you're using mouselook.

Of course it does, but you're on a monitor! That's kinda different?

VR being completely different from normal gaming is kinda why we have this thread?

Things like Quake 3 work on monitors but don't work in VR because of the extreme speed. Games have to be adapted in multiple ways, from design to interface. How do you not understand this?

iceaim posted:

Also someone made 3D models of all the Doom monsters as a mod so you have that option

That's what I was referring to, yes. :v:

If you've Stockholm syndrome'd yourself into loving the spinny sprites that's cool but I hate them and others in the thread have said so too.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 6, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

"Superhot of VR puzzle games" approaches "skyrim but with guns" levels of game description :cheeky:

That said, good guy superhot does sound really fun.

And I'm all for having more non-violent games, especially in VR.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqd-_fHdTyA&t=89s

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 6, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

While we're on the subject of retro style VR, everyone owes it to themselves to try the Compound alpha on Steam. Wouldn't have expected a lo-res pixel art style to work so well (Minecraft aside) but it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1XQzMRgfLo

This looks pretty great.

And see, this is what I mean, you can get the retro aesthetic completely from the pixel art style and the color palette. The enemies are still fully 3D, just kinda blocky and with low-res textures.

A couple things are flat but very few, used tastefully. Like the map, which makes sense, and the bullet sprites, which are fine because they're small and move fast. I could def get into this.

Music has serious Terminator vibes :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm having a blast with keep talking... but I'm like halfway through now and worried the puzzles are becoming unfun. The last couple were kinda ridiculous. I was proud of us when we got them, but.. if they keep just ramping up the difficulty in the same way its gonna get a bit much.

veni veni veni posted:

The spiderman VR experience is so hilariously lame I feel gyped and it was free.

I thought it was fun I'm just sad that you only started swinging at the end and it ended way too fast.

The part up on the crane was actually legit cool IMO? I got some serious "whoa I'm way up high" feelings from that.

I really want a superhero VR game :( A game where you could change size, run on walls, fly, swing through cities, etc. would just be so much fun JUST TO RUN AROUND IN. I don't even need to fight crime. A superhero platformer would be amazing.

poo poo windlands is basically a spider man game, and its pretty cool but kinda intense...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zsinjeh posted:

I know there's a good game in Echo Arena but I can't for the life of me enjoy it with a vire attached to me. If I think about it I barely move for fear of twisting it. If I try and not think about it and lose myself in the game I'll twist it hard enough it unplugs itself from the cablebox.

:smith:

How is Twisting a problem? The cable is super long.

I'm twisting and shouting all day long and I've never had any problems at all?? Where is your cablebox??

Maybe try reinforcing the connection or something? IDK duct tape that poo poo to a desk or something, get creative.

Zsinjeh posted:

If I think about it I barely move for fear of twisting it.

:psyduck:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

iceaim posted:

Calm down you total spaz. Your smarmy personality is really going to charm more people into entering the wonderful world of vr. :v:

Anyway yeah I wouldn't call Battlezone photo realistic. It has its own cool art style and I like it. I own it too. Different vr games have different art styles. But 90s era FPS is a type of retro art style. Some people love it, so people hate it. You hate it. I get it. I can't convince you otherwise, but I personally enjoy playing such a game in VR. When I was a teenager during the Doom era it was the first wave of the VR craze which of course fell short of expectations, but my teenage self imagined it in the way that I experienced Quell 4D and that felt amazing. Hell and I wouldn't mind a VR game with 90 degree walls plus flat sprites in it Wolf 3D style either. Doom even has a Wolf 3D TC so I can actually play that in vr.

Nonono, don't misunderstand iceaim. I love retro art style. I post in the retrogames and old school fps threads regularly... and you do not. I love making Doom maps to this day, and still play cacowards wads. I love duke nukem. I love all kinds of old school FPS and I grew up on that aesthetic and am massively nostalgic for it.

Do not assume.

I love and live for the retro aesthetic. However, like we already discussed, you can achieve that look without having flat sprites in a VR world that artificially rotate! You can simply have sprite textures on low poly models, you can use voxels, you can use the sprite art on the wall textures and even maybe some small particles, but that doesn't mean that because I don't like sprites in VR that means I hate the "retro art style"

iceaim posted:

Some people love it, so people hate it. You hate it. I get it.

No, no you don't. You're not even trying to.

iceaim posted:

Also Quake can work in VR. There's the two Quake ports, plus there's a Quake 3 clone called Protonwar on the Vive. Protonwar also supports monitors, and both monitor and VR users can play together. Anyway I had no nausea issues with Protonwar, though again I realize that everyone is different. Even though it works for me, I do agree that it may not work for you and it may not have mainstream appeal. At the moment I play Protonwar with people on my friends list who also own the game.

Of course Quake can render in VR. You're completely misunderstanding the point I was making dude. I don't know what words to use to explain it to you, but yes, you can play Quake in VR. I've done it. That's the point. I'm speaking from experience. And like I already explained, its really really cool walking around in old school environments like Quake that were never made for VR, but still work in VR. You can do that and its great. But the core gameplay of Quake and Quake 3 is way too fast for VR, its not a comfortable fit.

Valve themselves recognized this and its why TF2 no longer has VR support. They absolutely can render TF2 in VR, but it "doesn't work". Its not a good design fit.

I love how you start off all "zaphod you're totally wrong you total spaz!" and then you're forced to end with "well maybe some people find this uncomfortable, that's fair, I guess" what was the point of any of this?

Compare to this:

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1XQzMRgfLo

This looks pretty great.

And see, this is what I mean, you can get the retro aesthetic completely from the pixel art style and the color palette. The enemies are still fully 3D, just kinda blocky and with low-res textures.

A couple things are flat but very few, used tastefully. Like the map, which makes sense, and the bullet sprites, which are fine because they're small and move fast. I could def get into this.

This is retro and also comfortable in VR. Get it?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 10, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

I know there's the main fight between Vive and Oculus, but do you really feel like a second-class citizen with Oculus + Touch on Steam? Have developers (who don't have exclusivity deals) been rather good about supporting both?

Yeah I was gonna say, seems like most things support VIVE well for roomscale stuff, and then if they're Oculus only then you can use ReVIVE which works really well and has active development.

Is there a Viveulous for running vive-only apps on Rift? :cheeky:

Also how is touch for full on roomscale, can you walk around and everything without any issues?

I pre-ordered an Oculus the very morning that they went on sale, but as of the end of May they still hadn't sent me one so I cancelled my order and got a VIVE instead, which shipped promptly. Haven't looked back since, so I'm curious how it ended up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_IMWgXGFfw

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Has anyone actually noticed any performance degradation from launching games through the SteamVR Home interface, as opposed to just clicking "play" and putting your headset on? It feels like I'm getting some extra judder sometimes.

I have not. I really like how slick steam VR is now. Took them awhile to get to this point but now its really comfortable to hop from game to game without taking off the headset.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gendal posted:

For cheap $20 headphones, sure. For $600+ electronic devices I have had decidedly different experiences than that. Maybe I am just spoiled in my consume electronic choices, but for every repair process I have gone through the company bent over backwards to help me out or at least had a reasonable repair option. Including my issue with the HTC Vive.

Legally, sure, they are within their right. I just think people should know what to expect if they are going to get one. I avoid companies like this for a reason, I didn't expect Oculus to be one.

Apple is an exception, but I have always considered Apple to be a lovely company for treating people that way. You can't sell a $2,000 laptop and then go "haha buy a new one" the loving second its out of warranty.

Like you say, its perfectly legal, but its also perfectly lovely customer service.

When car manufacturers make cars that deliberately break down after time so you have to service them / buy new ones. It'd be kinda funny if somebody defended practice as being good for the industry and necessary. Its not really, its self-defeating. Everybody buys Japanese cars instead.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

haveblue posted:

Not that it's not a lovely thing for Oculus to do, but couldn't you hock the parts you don't need and only end up out of pocket for the headset anyway?

That's what he's gonna end up doing, yep. Headset is a decent chunk of it tough for sure.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DrBox posted:

If they wanted to make it real Ender's Game-ey they should give you a grappling hook.

Did Ender's have a grappling hook? I don't remember that.

If they want it to be really Enders you need to be able to shoot your own legs and use them as a shield.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

They tied Bean to a rope and sent him around a star at high speed.

Ah yeah remember that. That's kinda different but yeah.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chadzok posted:

The first 2nd gen headset to market is going to make some serious dough. I for one would upgrade for better screens in a heartbeat even if they were being churned out by josef mengele. Totally jealous of all the Valve and Oculus technicians that you just know are right now wandering around the same Rec Room as you in their top secret 4K wireless full-skeleton tracking setups.

Even if you had a 4k headset, do you have the video card and computer to drive it? Even if you had full-skeleton tracking do you have any games that would use that input?

Not really much point being ahead of the curve right now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Honestly with good enough production values "pretend to be a rich celebrity" VR simulator would probably sell gangbusters.

Like you get to do coke with Johnny Depp and then you run from the paparazzi and then you drive drunk and get caught by the cops but they let you off and then you go home and there's already a party there

I wonder if people are going to start wearing gopros around and recording their lives for VR playback at some point; Strange Days style.

Why just watch The Oscars on television when you could Be John Malkovich for real?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nalin posted:

Ahaha, yes, I had that problem once too. I am guessing you had f.lux set to do the transition over 1 hour instead of 20 seconds. When that happens, it constantly changes the color temperature every couple seconds and causes stutters. I had switched f.lux back to the quick 20s change when I had first obtained my VR headset, which was a long time ago. Good catch.

EDIT: Win 10 also has built-in "night light" mode. Just search for "night" in the control panel.

Oh poo poo, you know, I have f.lux and should probably turn it off in VR....

I just searched though and I have windows 10 and there's no night light mode at all. So maybe its just a certain update or pro version or something?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

I know I missed the Amazon deal, but what are the chances that someone bundles a decent VR capable PC with the rift in the next few weeks? Maybe a back to school deal? I can only hope.

Build one yourself?

You're probably pretty good off just getting the Rift on sale and then getting a mobo+CPU combo from newegg or amazon or whatever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sundae posted:

I bought a Vive two days before the big Oculus price drop. :v: I notice the SDE rather easily in it, but I also had to remove all the padding to get the screen in focus. Hopefully when the 6mm cushioning I ordered arrives, it'll be a bit better.

VIVE is better, don't feel bad :cheeky:

Also this way you didn't give money to Facebook

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GI_Clutch posted:

I'd really like to see a game like this that was truly built for VR. Maybe more indoor environments so it didn't need to deal with so much geometry at once or something. Plus more interactive environments. It was weird playing a VR game where you can't just grab almost every single object you see. I played and enjoyed The Gallery Episode 1 which sort of scratched the itch, but it was a bit too on rails. I want a little more exploration with old school point-and-click style puzzle solving.

Hopefully future episodes of The Gallery will go further, I think they were still learning but felt pressure to push out a demo / first chapter.

And Xing looks promising too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

EDIT:
Speaking of big hats, I wonder what ever happened to 3D Head? They seemed so promising!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Miles McCloud posted:

I have been using a DK2 I picked up cheap a few months ago and loving it.

I've now been able to use a CV1 and... I don't seem to like it much? At least compared to the DK2. While I can definitely see a resolution increase, there are godrays everywhere .

What are you guys talking about? Godrays, aka crepuscular rays, are a product of the game engine software.

What about the lenses is causing this effect? And what even is the effect, because its not godrays. Some kind of light bleed? bloom?

I ordered a Rift but they never sent it to me so I have a VIVE instead, but I can't imagine the CV1 being worse than the DK2, the DK2 was awful. The VIVE is like 10x better than DK2.

E: Googled around, yeah, that's bloom. Dunno why everybody is calling it godrays.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 16, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

D1E posted:

No, it's hardware. It's due to the fresnel lenses the Rift uses.

Doesn't VIVE also have fresnel lenses? I guess they're better ones?

But calling it godrays is a confusing misnomer. Godrays are specific to light sources and light contrast and follow directional volume, this is just bloom.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 16, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

D1E posted:

Quick internet search found this forums expert:

"It sounds like Oculus opted for more finely faceted Fresnel lenses, and went hybrid (contoured) to maximize the pixels used from the underlying Samsung displays. The result is a more rectangular FOV to use as much of the display area as possible. The FOV, while smaller, has a higher density of pixels in the focal area - which is why people observe less SDE. Unfortunately it seems like more Fresnel facets means it's prone to the light blooming people are reporting in very high contrast scenes.

Vive chose to use only a circular portion of the square Samsung (assumed) screens, but to magnify them more than Oculus' hybrid Fresnel lenses. The result is a larger oval FOV in each lens, but with a visible SDE due to lower pixel density in the focal area. The fewer facets of the Vive Fresnel lens also means there are visual artefacts that manifest as concentric distorted rings - although most people say they're barely noticeable when you're moving. Because the Vive lens is Fresnel, it is also prone to the light blooming rays same as the Rift. However, some users are reporting they're less obvious on the Vive due to fewer ridges in their standard Fresnel.

Despite the Rift having a measurably lower FOV than the Vive, most people who have used both report the overall FOV feels very similar, and also that SDE is very comparable between the two headsets."

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33222/why-do-we-have-fresnel-lenses

Yeah that all makes a lot of sense. Good find. (See, this guy calls it bloom too! I'm not crazy)

Sucks for Rift owners I guess?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

How is Fallout 4 VR supposed to work? Isn't FO4 60fps-locked because of its physics and also uses a godawful warmed-over Oblivion engine that runs like poo poo?

*warmed-over Skyrim engine

Which is a moderate improvement over the extremely extremely lovely gamebryo Oblivion engine (holy poo poo gamebryo is so bad) but its still really bad yeah.

They'll probably just crank the settings down and then set the computer hardware requirements pretty high. Is F4VR on PSVR? If so they'll just crank the settings down even lower.

Maybe even do something drastic like require all combat be through VATS? But probably just downgrade all the visuals to make it run as fast as possible, and then if you get bugs :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

This isn't a defense of Bethesda because ~lmao~ their game engines and the engineering they do and don't do in them but to whip out 'GAMEBRYO LOL' makes you look hella dumb and extremely dated. Bethesda is bad, not 'gambryo.'

I haven't worked with it but I took it on faith from someone who had that it was bad :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

The problem with OG Minecraft is that it's made of Java spaghetti code. Performance has always been spotty, and in a lot of cases you'll be lucky to hit 60fps consistently on a high-end PC, let alone 90.

Its not so much to do with java and everything to do with the game being made entirely by Notch, someone who had zero game industry experience. Also it constantly changed during development and then was basically just dropped and never finished.

The code for rendering the terrain chunks is sooooo bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GutBomb posted:

So this summer sale really made me spend a lot of money. I ended up buying Superhot VR, Elite: Dangerous, Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition, and Flyinside-fsx. Oh and a HOTAS. We're definitely through the looking glass here, people. I'd also have bought a 3rd sensor if I knew where I could find one that won't take a few months to ship.

:retrogames:

If you have a HOTAS you should definitely check out War Thunder since its free, but maybe you have already. :)

I bought Super Hot VR, Arizona Sunshine and uhhh something else. Still haven't bought Star Trek because its still full price but man I'm so tempted.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dirty Rally is quickly becoming my favorite VR game, although probably just because I have such a good setup for it.

Arizona Sunshine is really fun but there's little moments where something doesn't quite work like I want it to and it kinda funks up the experience a little. Like I'll pick up ammo too fast so I'll end up dropping one of the clips, and then have to lean over and pick it up or something like that. But drat does it feel good to headshot zombies with point-and-shoot instead of a mouse.

Superhot VR is the new game I use to demo VR to my friends now over Job Sim. They're both great but Neo is next poo poo.

Truga posted:

Warthunder acts a bit weird in VR and I can't put my finger on why. I think there's some kind of delay between input and response, but not nearly high enough to notice or something like that. I don't have a problem with it personally, but I have a friend that's perfectly fine with wasd locomotion in serious sam, but warthunder somehow gets him queasy after 10 minutes without fail.

Not to discount others' experiences, but I've also had no problems with war thunder and I have had issues with other games, so that's interesting.

It used to have issues with the menus but they've gotten (a tiny bit) better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

kaffo posted:

Playing War Thunder is fine for me, and even my other delicate friend, but the menus really gently caress me up. It's all the looking around. Those things are like SKYSCRAPERS.
All I want is a UI scale so I don't need to break my neck to find the Play button at the top :negative:

Yeah it really needs work. But like a year ago War Thunder had VR support and the menus were LITERALLY UNREADABLE and so you had to constantly take the headset on and off and it made it awful.

Now they're workable, but yeah.... not comfortable by a longshot.