Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not that it's not a lovely thing for Oculus to do, but couldn't you hock the parts you don't need and only end up out of pocket for the headset anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

NRVNQSR posted:

Even out of warranty there's an expectation that you should be able to purchase replacements for individual parts rather than be required to purchase a new bundle - in this case you might hope to be able to purchase a replacement headset without being required to also shell out for replacements for your working controllers and cameras. I don't think there are many countries that have made that into a formal consumer protection yet, though.

Didn't this thread go through the exact same thing but with the Vive instead when one dude's wand controller battery crapped out? End result was some wit recommending the goon contract with a factory in China to make a small batch of replacements.

Neither company is ideal with warranty or replacement parts.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Jeff seems to actually like VR, so I'm not sure why they only play the lovely games on Vrodeos. Maybe they are just on a lovely game kick this week, because UPF was all really bad fan suggested games. Or maybe they feel that the most people who are going to watch them are people who don't have VR, and people who don't have VR tend to poo poo on VR. So if they play bad VR games, they are sometimes funny and then people get to poo poo on the games in the comments. They rarely do VRodeos, so it's just lame that they waste them on bad games.

As for the warranty thing, that really sucks. That's pretty standard, but they should at the very least offer to repair for a price or offer the ability to just buy the headset by itself. Though their response is something I'd expect from a niche hardware maker, not a multi billion dollar company owned by Facebook. When one of my Fanatec things broke, they offered to repair it but the price was almost as much as just buying a new one.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gendal posted:

Not going to repost the whole thing here but tldr; if your launch day rift breaks you have to buy a new retail box (which I certainly won't be doing, even with the new price drop)

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6mgcx5/launch_day_rift_broke_you_have_to_buy_a_new_one/

"Out of warranty.

It disgusts me that people will let their warrantied broken stuff sit for months without taking any steps.

The company is not to blame for you lazy entitled consumers who buy expensive products that they only care about enough to excuse bitching about Daddy Corporate when they just don't give a drat about their expensive poo poo."

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

At least you have this exciting Giant Bomb content to look forward to http://jeff.zone/post/162826395426/any-luck-getting-enough-headsets-together-for-a

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Norm and Jeremy at Tested aren't the world's best video game players but they're the only people I've heard speak competently about VR and Jeremy has the good sense to be super excited about Echo Arena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMa0YdjGkpM

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

haveblue posted:

Not that it's not a lovely thing for Oculus to do, but couldn't you hock the parts you don't need and only end up out of pocket for the headset anyway?

That's what he's gonna end up doing, yep. Headset is a decent chunk of it tough for sure.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Echo Arena is incredible but makes me wish for a bigger space. Things I've punched diving for the disk/taking a shot: Wall, Chair, bookcase, floor. Had to turn the obnoxious walls on and put a square of carpet on the floor to make sure I don't stray.

Gorn is great too. Bought it to support the early access but man the control scheme sucks on Touch. I really wish they would let you pick an "Oculus controls" setting to use the grip instead of the triggers, then maybe A and X to walk instead of clicking down the sticks.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

NRVNQSR posted:

You must admit that the vast majority of games they show in them are overpriced garbage. But I agree, often the segment doesn't give them enough time to recognise the few that aren't.

That's true but it's not an argument in their favour when they show off some shovelware I've never heard of in some of them when there are so many great, polished, full featured games they've never tried.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

only issue is that he isn't the only person who will be in this situation, so expect to see the value of non headset peripherals plummet as everyone tries to do this.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

haveblue posted:

I really dislike reselling crap, especially when it's an absurd situation like this where I actually want it still and/or don't want to have to repurchase.

The potentially good news is I got a suggestion on reddit to checkout my CC extended warranty, and whadda you know, I am supposedly covered. Never done this before, because again, never had such lovely service but who knows - it might actually work.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Echo Arena is great but I do sincerely wish the map was more interesting. It's not like Rocket League where you can do a lot of tricks in the arena, you need more physical objects to propel and swing yourself off in order to pull off those cool tricks. Also I kinda wish those pushes were buffed and thrusting nerfed so there'd be more need to push rather than boost.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Echo Arena is great but I do sincerely wish the map was more interesting. It's not like Rocket League where you can do a lot of tricks in the arena, you need more physical objects to propel and swing yourself off in order to pull off those cool tricks. Also I kinda wish those pushes were buffed and thrusting nerfed so there'd be more need to push rather than boost.

The other players are the things you propel yourself off of, and there's a technique with pushing off a surface with both hands and releasing with both at the exact same time (works on everything, including the catapult and other players) where you can launch yourself faster than 4m/s

Jukes along the surface are also really important, you can fake out an entire enemy team if you're good

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
If they wanted to make it real Ender's Game-ey they should give you a grappling hook.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DrBox posted:

If they wanted to make it real Ender's Game-ey they should give you a grappling hook.

Did Ender's have a grappling hook? I don't remember that.

If they want it to be really Enders you need to be able to shoot your own legs and use them as a shield.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lemming posted:

The other players are the things you propel yourself off of, and there's a technique with pushing off a surface with both hands and releasing with both at the exact same time (works on everything, including the catapult and other players) where you can launch yourself faster than 4m/s

Jukes along the surface are also really important, you can fake out an entire enemy team if you're good

I know, I'd just rather there be some corners and narrow spaces, and generally a longer map.

E: I'd kill for a bamboo-forest type location.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lemming posted:

Just curious, do you play with the pitch and roll enabled or just the default settings?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Did Ender's have a grappling hook? I don't remember that.

If they want it to be really Enders you need to be able to shoot your own legs and use them as a shield.

They tied Bean to a rope and sent him around a star at high speed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

They tied Bean to a rope and sent him around a star at high speed.

Ah yeah remember that. That's kinda different but yeah.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Just curious, do you play with the pitch and roll enabled or just the default settings?

I enable everything and turn upside down at the start of every round

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

I'm not really happy with my voice recording for a few technical and personal reasons but I threw together a quick edit anyways since seeing that first experience of a new player will hopefully be pretty valuable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBIxmVG6t_o

Excuse the breathing being picked up, obviously using the Vive mic was a poor choice.

Just wanted to say thank you for uploading the video; we went over it with a fairly fine-toothed comb in our morning meeting today. Some of the biggest takeaways for change are:

(A) Trying to describe the fireball toss better (again, more of a 'sling' than a 'throw'; trying to figure out the proper wordage for this)
(B) Reinforcing the idea that the ice mine should be used more defensively than actively/reactively
(C) Increasing the targetable 'area' for warp points
(D) Including some fashion of force feedback on a weapon change (like when we auto-set your weapon to be the fireball during the tutorial, etc.)

The team is a little split on the 'touch vs. pointer' control; I'm in on the side of pointers but I'm not sure if we'll keep it as it is, make it an optional setting, or what. We'll also make more obvious labeling for the orbs in the menu area - As noted before they're very much meant to be temporary, but now that we see someone playing with them the lack of labeling is a glaring omission on our part.

Again, thank you for the upload - If you end up playing again at some point and have any further feedback, please feel free to let me/us know. =D

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Echo Arena open beta was just extended to the 17th, Hail Satan

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lemming posted:

gently caress yeah I was just downloading this and there was an audible sad trombone sound as I looked at 23% Downloaded with Beta Ends July 10th just to the left :v:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Should I order from the Oculus website? Or Amazon?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Do you have Prime? Free 2-day shipping swung me to use Amazon.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Lemming posted:

Oh nice that actually gives me time to check out The Unspoken free weekend which was blocked by a store bug. Still can't believe they chose the echo arena beta weekend to do it

Gendal posted:

The potentially good news is I got a suggestion on reddit to checkout my CC extended warranty, and whadda you know, I am supposedly covered. Never done this before, because again, never had such lovely service but who knows - it might actually work.

If it's any consolation I have been continually amazed by the slack credit card companies will pick up for you, definitely try it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Depending on your state, Oculus website probably won't charge tax.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lmao, so while HTC have my totally dead controller and I wait to see whether I need to pay to fix it, I tried to fix an old controller that I replaced after my girlfriend smashed it into something playing gorn. I'd previously sent this controller to HTC once before the tracking broke to fix a broken touchpad click.

so I go to open up this controller and what do I find but that last time HTC repaired it they stripped the screws. gently caress htc so hard today.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I went with Best Buy since they include an Eve Valkyrie download with the bundle.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JazzFlight posted:

I went with Best Buy since they include an Eve Valkyrie download with the bundle.

Wait, seriously? That sounds like the best option if it's on sale there too

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does anyone still play Eve Valkyrie?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

lol

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Nobody should.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I got it free with my Rift and haven't even bothered to install it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
...Is it bad? I just remember hearing a lot about it and seeing some gameplay footage that looked great.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Free sounds about right for it, you can play the intro mission which is a bigger spectacle than anything in the main game.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

...Is it bad? I just remember hearing a lot about it and seeing some gameplay footage that looked great.

It commits the greatest of video game sins

It's completely boring and average

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Pay to win spaceship game with really samey spaceships and no depth at all in gameplay. It blew peoples minds because it looks ok and was a space game. War Thunder looks better and is free. IL2 looks much better and has depth and singleplayer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It was lucky that it came out as soon as the Rift dropped because it's one of those "Wow, I'm in VR, this is pretty neat! Uh, now what?" games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Pay to win spaceship game with really samey spaceships and no depth at all in gameplay. It blew peoples minds because it looks ok and was a space game. War Thunder looks better and is free. IL2 looks much better and has depth and singleplayer.

Man, I was extremely uninterested by War Thunder's flight, and no one plays the semi-realistic tank mode in that game.

That's disappointing news over EVE Valkyrie, then. I guess I should order off of the Oculus store, then? They won't charge tax, and I think that's the cheapest I'm going to get...