Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What are thread thoughts on WMR vs Rift/Vive? I was planning on picking up a second hand Vive cheap once the Vive2 finally drops, but at $200 I'm sorely tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

+1 to the people who bought the cheapo Walmart headsets. If you've never tried a proper vr headset you owe it to yourself to go try a demo at your closest electronics retailer, there's a world of difference, such that I wouldn't really consider this thing to capture the vr experience.

Still, it's an impressive piece of kit for the price, but the picture quality goes to poo poo if you're looking anywhere but dead ahead and it's a bit to small for my massive noggin, so it's a return for sure for me.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I got my walmart monoculus thing today, and I can't get it working at all. I installed the software, updated it, checked for firmware, installed SteamVR, put it in Direct mode, but nothing will make it output VR to the headset. It puts up a static "test pattern" kind of display, and if I take it out of direct mode it shows my desktop stretched across both eyes. If I turn on mirroring I can see that the headset tracking is working, but nothing will play on the headset screen. Anyone got any ideas or did I just get a dud unit?

I had a lot of trouble getting it to work. In the end, after doing everything you did I had to unplug it, remove USB devices in the steamvr settings, reattach and re-enable direct mode (maybe with a restart in there too) and it started working.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Sixto Lezcano posted:

It’s really interesting to watch how my brain deals with VR. So far I’m definitely “reading” it as a thing strapped to my face with a screen in it, rather than as like, a window into another world. Does that change with time as the novelty wears off? Or is it just my brain getting hung up on this?

This is really what's driving my monoculus return. The rift/Vive are even more than a window to another world, you forget where you are pretty much as soon as you put them on, whereas the monoculus has kind of a porthole effect going on and reads strongly as something. I could try removing the foam but it's digging into my nose pretty badly as is, I can't see it being comfortable enough to wear afterwards.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I think the problem isn't so much the price of the vr hardware, it's the beef of a computer needed to run it. We're talking 1k+ of computer hardware before your headset does anything. And if we're talking wide consumer adoption then either there'll have to be prebuilts that support it, which currently adds a hefty premium to that 1k+ number, or everything self contained like the new Oculus.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Like I said a few posts back, if you haven't tried a rift or Vive you absolutely owe it to yourself to do so. The monoculus isn't representative of the vr experience or what we're capable of.

If I had only tried the monoculus I'd probably feel the same way you do, but give it a few minutes in roomscale space pirate trainer and you'll realize something completely new/different is going on here. Even if you're not interested in roomscale the proper headsets are still a world apart.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Door-to-door VR salesman is the hot new future I always hoped for.

You could make a pretty funny story out of a door-to-door vr salesman who robs people while they've got the headset on.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A handful of people on Reddit say yes, if you can stomach drops to 45fps with less than high settings.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Has anybody seen any reviews / benchmarks for the 1660 with respect to VR?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Looks like my dreams of picking up a used Vive/rift dirt cheap as early adopters move on will continue to go unfulfilled.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

How do the various integrated audio solutions headsets have compare to a set of moderately expensive ($100-200) headphones / iems?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Stick100 posted:

Since you're asking in the VR thread I'll try to cover a few.

Vive+DAS has sounds worse than good headphones but have good bass/volume/repro. IMHO best of the integrated audio solutions listed.
Vive Pro has bad sound repro with bad bass but decent rest
Rift is open, gets loud and is OK but not nearly as good as dedicated headphones.
Go sounds OK, but I'd call it comparable to something like a game boys speakers/phone/tablet. Nearly no bass, can get pretty loud and no isolation. Much better experience than a single speaker while using Gear VR.
Quest (from my memory) about 1/2 between Rift and Go, sounds better but still not much bass.
Odyssey+ speakers better than Rift worse than Vive+DAS.

Rift S does not look likely to be good esp. compared to the Rift, no idea about the Index but it sounds likely to be better than anything else.

In general the solutions are good enough for game play but def. not for dedicated music listening if you're used to good equipment. The Vive Pro audio solution was bad enough that I preferred returning to the Vive + DAS for Beat Saber/Sound Boxing. If you haven't used VR it's hard to explain how much more convenient it is to use the integrated solution because you have to put your headphones on while blind and it adds another cord.

I've briefly tried both the rift and the Vive, and I can see the appeal, especially since great audio isn't really something most things need, only in a dedicated audio/visual experience could I see it really mattering, but I've always been curious. Thanks for the comprehensive answer.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The Walrus posted:

am I not the only weirdo that still says (or I guess just thinks) this occasionally in reference to the Japanese Mario Sunshine star acquisition screen

MegaMan X 8 for me.

I know y'all ain't big on WMR, but what would you think of it if it's being used almost exclusively for tilt brush / to supplement a dying laptop screen? Microcenter has the HP model with controllers available for $170 and I'm thinking of giving it a shot.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Thanks y'all. The laptop has a 950M which I dont have high hopes for, but hopefully might work for non-demanding applications, but I can hook it up to a gaming desktop if not.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Early trip report:
Only had a few minutes to mess around before the dog wouldn't leave me alone. The 940MX isn't really up to the task as everything is super grainy such that you don't get full immersion, but it runs. FoV is notably lacking. Now to figure out how to get out of window's portal and into steam's.

I expect it'll run much better on my desktop, but I gotta hook up the bt module. Funnily enough, while a year and a half ago my graphics card was worth 3x what I paid for it and the ram 2x, now my CPU, GPU, and RAM ain't worth shut. Death to *coins.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Second wmr trip report:

The laptop really wasn't up for the task, being unable to render steam home, so I hauled the proper pc out of the attic. Still getting a good bit of screen door effect but noticably less grainy. FoV is low enough that there is obvious black to the sides, not even in periphery. It should be good enough for art and less immersive games, but it's enough to make it not quite proper VR. I suspect this'll lead to me buying a proper headset in the next 6 months.

Having one problem though, unless I set it to 60hz it doesn't display anything. I suspect it's related to the attached monitor (an old 60hz dvi monitor, but my gpu only has 1 HDMI out), but if anyone has experience with this problem and I'm all ears.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Jenny Agutter posted:

What are the specs on your computer? Wmr has a low-requirements mode that only does 60hz which might be the culprit. There's a Windows store app that checks your pc for wmr requirements if you want to investigate yourself. I suspect that most people have a 60hz monitor hooked up to their vr pcs, including me, so that shouldn't be an issue.

2600 and a RX470. I wouldn't expect it to be smooth at 90hz, but it's within the system requirements for WMR ultra so I'd expect some output, but the screen isn't turning on / receiving any input unless I change it from automatic to 60hz.

Tempted to pick up a new GPU though anyways. Would y'all recommend a 1660 or 1660ti?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Get the best GPU you can afford. If you can afford the ti, get it.

Look laterally too, a 1070ti might be near the cost of the 1660ti and will be a significant step up

Eh, it's more a case of I'm not inclined/willing to spend the 40% extra the next tier of GPUs cost, but if a 1660ti has lacking performance it's just not worth buying.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Jenny Agutter posted:

A GTX 970 is adequate for vr, a 1660ti will definitely not lack performance. But by that token your rx470 should also be adequate, that's a weird problem your having. Have you checked to see if anything is throttling due to heat or something? Your pc can run flat screen games fine? And when you say your CPU is a 2600, is that an i7 or a ryzen 5?

Ryzen. I don't think the issue wrt the blank screen is a matter of not enough horsepower, nor is it unique to me as I found the solution on a YouTube video. Just looking into an upgrade as 1660tis have a decent sale right now and the 470 (4gb) is showing it's age all around.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

Honestly I'd steer away from anything 1XXX at this point. 2XXX is faster, and price points are low and with the supers coming out non supers are going to drop in price. I mean the 1660 aint a bad card or something but I just feel like you could get something better for similar money, and if not, give it a week or two. Vendors are gonna be clearing out non super cards potentially.

1660/tis are contemporaneous with the 20 series, and $100 less than the 2060 currently, and the 2060 isn't being discontinued.

Not that I think you're wrong overall, but I don't see this price point being impacted.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Trip report part 3:

It runs tilt brush and space pirate trainer just fine, though SPT could run a little better. Didn't fix / try to fix the 90hz issue, but mostly I wanted to mess with tilt brush which isn't affected. The headstrap and tiny FoV continue to make it fall short of a proper headset; you're involved in the virtual space but the sense of presence isn't there. I'm hesitant to show it to my friends who haven't tried VR as I don't want them to get the wrong idea about the concept.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

They're an impressive looking example of a digital space and serve as an advertisement for VR to anyone who puts on a headset for the first time.

They are useless once you own the headset, yes.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

What would y'all say is a good deal for a used rift / vive?

Somebody on Reddit is offering all this for $250 which seems a bit too good to be true, but I'm also just wondering what price I should be looking for.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 15, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Pretty over the top, I already found a buyer for my regular Rift release box with 2 sensors and Touches, all for $200. Probably could have gotten more, but the buyer is a friend.

It seems insane but I should be protected through PayPal, right? Am I just being greedy? Their comment history shows they really do own a rift and they offered to meet in person.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Sent the dude some money, let's see what shows up.

I price things to move too but not like this. Says he bought an index so maybe he just doesn't care? Doesn't matter now.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Haven't gotten to test all of the sensors or the tpcast, but it looks like I scored a sweet deal

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

They will look for brands in your room and then serve ads while you're loading a game.

"Please drink a verification can"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Has anyone tried the Elite Dangerous mod that lets you use VR controllers as stick/throttle and place holo-buttons? Is it any good?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can you link this because it sounds great

https://youtu.be/ndIan0YCL-I

https://github.com/dantman/elite-vr-cockpit

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Is there any way to hotkey the Rift calibration screen? When passing it around a group I'd like to make sure they all have an optimal experience but giving people directions in VR is difficult, especially when they haven't used it before.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

250 w/ an extra sensor, 200 w/o seems to be the normal going rate.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

Alright I pulled the trigger on an secondhand Oculus with extra sensor and 1080 oc for 340 bucks which seems like a reasonable deal picking up thurs.

Right now I'm thinking about using it with sone wrist weights to trick myselc into getting fit. Looking at zero caliber, beat saber, and one of them gladiator games for a start.

Might also have to finally upgrade from win7 to 10?

340 for the Oculus and a 1080? drat.

Do upgrade to win10. It's the same poo poo, just in a different shade of blue.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Get some sort of paint program, not sure which is best but they're always a crowd pleaser.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Are there any utilities for testing your headsets panel? I noticed a bunch of pixels appeared to be staying lighter than they should the other day and I'd like to try to isolate the conditions in which it occurs / is noticable.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Do drugs OBC.

Is there any realistic chance of getting Beat Sabre on sale or should I just nut up and pay full price?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Songbearer posted:

Between H3VR's big ol' update coming this week, No Man Sky beyond, and me inevitably breaking and buying Tetris Effect, this month is pretty drat rad for VR.

I've also been watching a lot of Invader Zim in Bigscreen.

Have you modded a moose into the theater?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

How much (physical) space do you need for NMS?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Tried NMS vr for a like an hour. Turned off vsync and set the resolution as low as possible like I've seen suggested, performance was fine, though aliased as poo poo. The good news is smooth motion doesn't appear to bother me, at least with the darkening on. The bad news is the flight controls basically ignore small movements and are way too sensitive for large ones, making small adjustments very difficult.

Ultimately, I need to get a new chair like the other seated games I've tried, it lacks the presence and wow factor of roomscale. And it was making my eyes hurt for some reason, but they felt fine after taking the headset off, so dunno what's going on there.

E: recently switched from a 470 to a 1660ti, both paired with a 2600. It's visibly more capable but it's not gonna blow your socks off.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It turns out the game keeps separate graphics settings if you're in VR or not, so I turn the details up and turned on antialiasing, and it was fine until I got in an astroid belt and it started stuttering like crazy to where it was just unplayable. I wouldn't be surprised if high settings were too much for my card but I think I'll wait for some more patches to roll out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Vakal posted:

Try Air Car. It's free and neat.

+1 to Air Car. It's the art apps that really tend to blow people away. Oculus has one included, and Google's Tilt Brush is $20 on Steam. Can't speak to their relative merits.