Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Oh hey new thread means I can post again. Thanks!

I'm glad that I could rouse you guys into making a well needed new thread, cheers!

If you want you can straight up copy my games review post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Hey man just wanted to say this is actually a good and well done OP!

My only nitpick (and what is a vr thread without nit picking):

Cojawfee posted:

Oculus Home is the proprietary platform for the Oculus Rift. It's very existence is a matter of controversy for some. Many people are upset that Oculus is trying to compete with Steam with what is arguably a worse product. Compounding this is the fact that Oculus store has exclusives as well as HMD specific DRM. In order to play a game with Home, you have to use an Oculus Rift. Some say this is akin to locking a game to a certain brand of monitor. It's currently a hot topic in the VR community. It is also sort of pointless as there are methods for making the games work on the HTC Vive as well.

While I actually really really appreciate what you have posted for Oculus Home, the good and the bad, the criticisms and concerns, I gotta say I don't think the last point is fair. Its not pointless because Oculus is starting some kind of arms race to try and add DRM and block out Vive users. I do think ultimately the hackers will be more clever, as shown in this latest update that added the DRM, but its far from pointless when Oculus is trying to lock people out of a store and only niche in-the-know users will know how to download a third party github program to allow cross-play.

Other than that, and I mean this, this is a rock solid OP. If you wanna grep some of my game reviews from the vive thread be my guest.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

I meant that it was pointless for Oculus to lock the vive out because there will always be ways to get around it.

Ah fair enough then. I think from their perspective it makes sense because while for the hardcore turbo nerds like us, yeah we could just use ReVIve but there are probably a solid number of users out there that will in effect be locked into that market place who wouldn't ever know or be bothered to deal with ReVive. That number is probably relatively low right now because most people involved are enthusiast but as VR gets more popular the more obstacles you put between a user and content the less likely they will be to access that content, which I think is what Oculus is hoping for.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Hungry Computer posted:

I use my Gold headset wirelessly with the Vive and have no issues. IMO it's actually better to use them wireless so that you can use the headset to change volume, instead of having to find a way to change system volume while wearing the VIve.

Huh is there not any delay over those headphones. I'm a lamer and I can't imagine not using wired headphones (I got a custom cable made up just for the vive).

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I have been both cursed and lucky. Cursed because SteamVR fails a lot, like randomly when I start it it says a key component has stopped working and it won't work right. I have been lucky because every time this has happened a reboot has solved the issue.

SteamVR 100% needs work.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gendal posted:

The Nvidia drivers released yesterday were crashing all over the place for me with the Vive, anybody else? During one crash I thought the person was going to have a seizure while I was yelling 'shut your eyes, shut your eyes!'. A rollback to the previous version stopped those thankfully.

Oh good lord, the overwatch drivers?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gendal posted:

Apparently - 368.22

Every 5 minutes or so the display driver would crash on my 970s.

drat, I was gonna update when I got home too... now I'm hesitant but I'll probably be playing more overwatch than VR...

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

I sometimes have issues where it says a component isn't working or the compositor stopped. Luckily the second one is just a link to start the compositor (why doesn't it just do this itself?) and the first works with a SteamVR reboot. I think they finally fixed the issue where it wouldn't recognize the HDMI no matter how many times you restarted the Vive, SteamVR or Steam itself.

Edit: Also, I added some info on play space and audio to the OP.

I've tried the SteamVR reboot thing but maybe not recently enough, I'll give it a shot next time it happens cheers.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Both headsets resolutions just aren't there yet. The rift's has an edge for sure and that must be nice when using it as a monitor replacement but in my head neither are really good enough to want to sit in longer term instead of just using a monitor.

I worry that not even next generation will have a high enough resolution to eliminate SDE. Because after having used the Vive (and the company ordered Rift now to a certain extent too) for long swaths of time we really are quite far away from the golden retinal resolutions.

I suspect it'll be at least two generations out before total monitor replacement is not just practical but quality wise equivalent.

But I do agree playing certain non-vr games in the headset is still a lot of fun.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

Yeah, to use it as a monitor you have to make screen real estate sacrifices by making all the text larger and stuff, but for games that aren't text heavy I think it's pretty fine. The novelty of sitting here instead of at my desk as well as having the screen appear bigger is worth the tradeoff for me.

I wouldn't want to do actual work using it though.

Is that the new alternative to virtual desktop? Do you think its better than VD?

Yeah when I first got my vive I blew up my browser zoom to like 175% and convinced myself I would do it forever. But things fade and its just not practical.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

edit: Whoops sorry wrong thread!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

More VR is a good thing, but if I'm at home I would probably want to use good vr and not mobile vr (which might be ok vr but definitively not good vr). I have a hard time seeing anyone use VR outside of the home for a really long time.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

It'll have to be new hardware unfortunately, from what I've gleaned it requires at least two cameras so far.

The more cameras the better, cyber punk owns and I don't care who disagrees.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Definitely recommend everyone check out the latest version of Minecraft for the Vive. It is really coming along and it works amazingly.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 25, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I just looked at a video of that... teleporting is obviously the better movement scheme for room-scale, but is there an option to control it with a gamepad, like the early versions of Minecrift?

Also, this thread seems to be moving pretty slowly. Haven't checked the Vive thread, but I imagine it's mostly shitposting. :P

Yeah you can control it with conventional controls as well.

And there are definitely some people trying to poo poo it up. Karma I suppose?

StarkRavingMad posted:

Tomorrow, May 26, bizarre VR social platform AltSpaceVR (altvr.com) is having some kind of live comedy show event between 8-9 PDT. It's free and cross-platform and probably about 90% likely to be a clusterfuck.

Reggie Watts is going to be there!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

KillerMojo posted:

Yeah it's great to read genuine VR discussion again, but I totally don't understand the two thread thing. It seems like it happened solely to placate Knifegrab. I guess as long as he's civil cool but wow what a roundabout way to achieve that.

First off the more we talk about this kind of thing the harder it will be for these threads to actually move on intelligently. I will also try to stop making posts like these.

The other thread exists because there are lots of us who want to just talk about how cool the vive is and bash on Oculus because of what we perceive to be anti-consumer policies. That discussion here led to people losing their minds. I got probated for making a prediction about Oculus adding DRM, locking down their market etc, and that prediction came true. Like another user said we were reading the writing on the wall. But some people had trouble with two things, the style of my posts, I suppose that is fair, but they also felt like by attacking Oculus we were attacking their purchase decisions.

Because some of us feel slighted its kind of nice to bash and rip on the company that is effectively ostracizing us from their market, I think that is a fair thing to want to vent about. For others they might just want to talk about Vive stuff because they own a vive and don't really care about other VR stuff. For whatever reason the two threads exist I think its for the best. We can be critical of Oculus, compare headsets etc in the other thread and people hopefully won't lose their minds in this one. And vice versa as well, I will likely not be posting as much in this thread, something many people want, and when I do it will largely be to link to interesting content or something but not to talk criticism or comparison since that is problematic for some users.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Hey Oculus released their source code for their unreal forward renderer: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/introducing-the-oculus-unreal-renderer/

This is actually a really cool thing because it could potentially help improve performance in many VR applications and on any VR headset!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

If you don't need it now, wait for touch to release if you're looking to purchase based solely on comparative specs.

It won't end up like hd-dvd because this tech will iterate much quicker.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

TomR posted:

There is a good chance that Rift and Vive hardware will be supported in games for a long time, even if new hardware comes out. So long as VR games keep coming, which seems like a given now.

I don't doubt it, but I also doubt that there will become one defacto winner like in the hd-dvd v blu-ray ordeal.

At least I hope not, more HMD's, more competition, more choice. That's the best for us. Making a standard VR interface (like OpenVR but maybe actually, ya know, open source) would be the best way.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Even in my biased rear end head I have a hard time seeing how the Vive could ever be more comfortable than the rift. That being said the difference isn't as big a chasm as some would make it to be and both can be worn for hours on end (on my head anyway) with no issue. The issues would be:

-Do you wear big glasses (the rift is worse for glasses)
-Do you need more clarity (The vive is worse for clarity)
-Do you need FOV (the rift is worse for FOV)
-Do you want the most access to titles (The vive is worse due to unreliable Home access)
-Do you want motion controls (If yes then wait for touch, if no the rift is cheaper because in part the lack of motion controls)
-Is your head freakishly big or small (The vive has a slightly wider range of IPD adjustments)
-Do you want to use your own headphones (The Vive doesn't have built in headphones so you will have to use your own)
-Do you care at all about company philosophies (Could be argued they are both going for monopoly in their own way)

And ultimately of course, trying each out is really the best way to go about it.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 27, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

So what the hell happened to the GTAV Vive thing? I need it.

Still being developed but the guy isn't releasing it yet. There is another one being released called GTA:VR but it is kind of a rip off that uses vorpx, the good one that you see all the gifs for is not relying on VorpX if I recall correctly and is quite an overhaul.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

If anyone has any new vive titles they think are worthwhile let me know.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Wow, I didnt know they were supplying retail stores instead of preorders. That is scummy to the extreme. As much as the headset might actually be pretty good, they are bad at business sense.

Lots of things they've been doing have been great in terms of business but really end up loving consumers. Capitalism! They're trying their hardest to become the apple of vr.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Where can I go to demo these products?

For the vive:

Knifegrab posted:

Where can I try this dumb thing? - Currently I’m only aware that certain Microsoft stores, Gamestop stores, and Micro Center stores have demos available. I will update this if more become available. Some goons might be willing to show you too so post in the thread maybe?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Super Hot just announced an Oculus Exclusive update to their game, Superhot VR.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4lsaxn/superhot_devs_annouce_superhot_vr_for_oculus_touch/

Glad to see lots more people are starting to realize how bad exclusivity is for VR as a whole.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Its hard to say, I'm sure we all have opinions about it but what are the sales saying to Oculus? Surely its been profitable because it seems they are still reaching out to more and more studios for these exclusivity offerings. Incredibly lovely and disappointing.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Apparently Facebook is getting flak again for constantly listening to you through your phones microphone to figure out what you are interested in: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...r-a7057526.html

I'm sure Oculus Home will in no way invade your privacy like ever. Bear in mind their excuse is that you had to accept the permission to allow Facebook access to your microphone so you are consenting. Oculus Home also has some pretty egregious stuff in their privacy policy and what they can collect on you policies that everyone had to agree with too. Currently it appears Oculus Home isn't doing much tracking, but it'll be interesting to see if/how that changes.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 31, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

Sounds like a slam dunk to me :geno:

Read further into the article: "Facebook says explicitly on its help pages that it doesn’t record conversations, but that it does use the audio to identify what is happening around the phone. "

Yeah clearly we're just using audio to identify, ya know... stuff...

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

Yeah, the article discusses the explicit use for that feature, which is listening to stuff around you when you're about to make a post (like song identifying algorithms), which you can turn off, and is not new or news. So nothing like what you claimed it was saying, which was "Apparently Facebook is getting flak again for constantly listening to you through your phones microphone to figure out what you are interested in:" and the only evidence supplied for that was some random idiot claiming it was maybe doing that, or maybe it wasn't. Good article.

Lets see, you were wrong about Oculus Home forever ago, but I'm sure you're right here and Facebook would never invade user's privacy.

You're right its not confirmed but from the article "Though Professor Burns said she was not convinced that Facebook is listening in on conversations – it may have been that she was searching for the same things that she chose to discuss around the phone – but she said that it wouldn't be a surprising move from the site."

It's called extrapolating, especially when barring a court order a company won't admit to spying on you. This is not a company that values your privacy over their ability to sell your information (which has been proven time and time again)

Just posting this for anyone else who values their privacy. Its not supposed to be an end-all-be-all article, just thought it was interesting and raises some concerns about what facebook could be doing. Not sure how you'd prove this substantially outside of having the code in hand/a court order.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 31, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

Talking about these issues is perfectly reasonable, and I think the investigation that one guy did into what Oculus home was looking at and sending data to home servers about was interesting.

This article is worthless poo poo, though. It's pure speculative nonsense that tries to pretend it has credibility by saying "wow a professor said it! That means it must be real!" when her "experiment" was beyond useless.

There are tons of anectdotals online for this happening as well. Unfortunately all of this is hard to prove. Unless you have a court order or code in hand how can we ever really prove that? Maybe some clever hacker can definitely show it is or isn't happening but all we have is speculation but when piled onto all of the tales of it happening it starts to get somewhat concerning, even if completely wrong.

What we do know is facebook considers any "engagement" to be a marketable affair. That means liking something, posting something, commenting something etc. They also recently confirmed that their new emotion system (which lets you like, sad, anger, funny a post) is considered an "engagement" and they can sell or utilize that information however they want.

I just find it hard to believe a company who has a microphone available to them on every phone wouldn't take advantage of that marketability as well, especially with all these "test and experiments" coming out of the wood work, this article is hardly the first. Maybe they're all bullshit, but its still a concern many people have and something that is starting to be somewhat substantiated by both these reports and just by nature of it being their defacto M.O.

The writing is on the wall.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Don't install facebook on your phone, because it eats through your battery for no reason. I uninstalled facebook and I went from 1 day of battery life that was pretty much mostly standby to 2-3 days with moderate use.

This too. I have a 6P and my phone already lasts a good two days off a charge but when I uninstalled facebook and messenger I now get about 3-4 days of charge. Its pretty crazy.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

The Walrus posted:

adr1ft is on sale and now works on the vive. worth it?

I hear its pretty nausea inducing but haven't tried it myself.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Honestly there isn't much point to playing a game that is not designed for VR in VR. If the game is heavily modified or built from the ground up it can be really cool but personally I don't see the point in stereo injected traditional games.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Still its pretty cool, I must admit I wish the wands were more like touch in some ways, three sets of finger analogues seems pretty good for VR.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Facebook literally just disabled their mobile website functionality and it pops up a message saying you have to install the app to use it now, hahah.

So that's pretty timely.

"Please drink a confirmation can to browse pictures of your ex."

~Bzzzt~

"Your loneliness has been recorded."

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Valve released their Unity Renderer, the one they used for the lab: http://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/604985915045842668

Not huge but pretty cool for developers.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

The Walrus posted:

can we just go back to one VR thread, it makes no sense for there to be two just so there's one for knifegrab to act like a child in. there's been lots of civil anti-oculus discussion in this thread so the other thread literally just exists for him at this point.

I pretty much agree with Mordaedil, talk about vive stuff in the vive thread, talk about rift stuff here, since there is very little discussion for the other platforms outside of rift that happen here anyway. Everyone is happy, everyone wins, and for some people general VR talk is boring but specific VR talk is all they care about.

edit: No sense in the other stuff

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 2, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Bremen posted:

The Lab crashes every few minutes for me, so I'm actually a bit worried about this.

Huh weird, the lab has been one of the best experiences in terms of performance for me. No crashes and incredibly smooth gameplay. How VR ready is your computer?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I am pretty confident valve will have its happy little fun project (like the Lab) but will pretty much never release any more games. I would love to be wrong though.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Eli nooooo :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

No guys, don't you get it? We have to make a thread for every individual headset so I never have to leave my echo chamber.

VIVE IS THE BEST
vive is the best
vive is the best

:ironicat:

theBeaz posted:

Everyone is doing such a good job ignoring them but since they keep trying to press their agenda here I just had to respond:

This is not the "Rift thread". This is the "VR thread". VR is going to change pretty rapidly in the next 12-18 months and it's nice having a megathread for it. The "Vive thread" was formed so some people could ironically wall themselves off from the Rift folks. However many of us are gaming enthusiasts and like hearing about both/all technologies. This thread is best thread. Go play console warrior in the other one.

Is it fanboy-ism to say that the vive is better than the rift in every way other than comfort and clarity? Is it fanboy-ism to say the vive can do everything the rift can plus more. Is it fanboyism to say Oculus is doing some really anti-consumer things?

No its not, its objectivity (Maybe when touch releases two out of three of those statements will no longer have merit.). But people in this thread lose their minds if you talk about it. So don't try and pretend like this thread isn't its own hugbox. This thread isn't as unbiased as you'd like to believe it is. Which is fine, its what the people want.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 3, 2016