Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Poetic Justice posted:

I dunno, I was in AltSpaceVR and the Rift owners were articulate cool attractive men and women and the Vive owners communicated by peeing and pooping on the floor and drawing in it.

It's called asserting dominance :colbert:

Might as well post this here too: If you purchased final approach, you will get final approach: pilot edition for free. Pilot edition is a seated experience that has you flying each plane in to land yourself, its targetted for vive and rift. Rejoice!

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Most of the Vive owners I saw were using the controllers as dongs and those with Leap motion were helping them relax a bit....

Its true.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

And in the end the greatest console warriors where those in the anti-knifegrab camp.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

If you want a cheap rift, just buy the replacement cable!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

Please tell me they're going to honor this. lol

Of course they'll honor it. You will get everything listed in the package by early 2018 too :D

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Looks like OSVR are also calling Oculus out for their shittiness.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Someone would actually need to use OSVR for that to mean anything.

They're pushing their SDK which is open and supports multiple HMD's, it has nothing to do with their hardware (this announcement anyway)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

That's what I was talking about. Someone would have to use it for it to matter. It's an empty gesture. They created their SDK to support any headset so why would there be headset DRM? Oculus created their SDK for their headset. However a bad decision it may be, it makes sense to them that they would want it to only work with the hardware they choose. If there's no DRM on the games whatsoever, that's a poor choice. Even Steam has DRM.

Yeah except Steam DRM isn't hardware exclusive, also steam doesn't pay developers to only develop for steam. But keep trying to defend the awesome DRM that is locking out other HMD users from a storefront.

God I'd love to see the uproar if steam locked rift users out of its store.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Ah, I see you're playing the "not bothering to even read the post" game. I wasn't defending Oculus and I never said that Steam has hardware DRM.

Yeah so who cares? I don't think anyone cares that Oculus has general "DRM". No one would give two shits if Oculus had DRM locking it to its store (which it does anyway). People care that its creating DRM to explicitely lock other HMD's out of its store, and that its buying out developers to develop on an SDK that isn't applicable to every other HMD on the market.

Saying "Well steam has DRM too :downs: " Is like the dumbest point in this argument you could make.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

And an open source SDK that wants to be a platform that supports any hardware making a statement saying it won't have hardware DRM means literally nothing. They are jumping on a bandwagon by making a meaningless statement in hopes that people will use OSVR. I can't find any decent games that natively support the OSVR runtime. I can only find people trying to get their OSVR headset working in SteamVR.

Yeah but its still a good thing. People should be using OSVR and hopefully they will, just because no one uses it now does not mean its meaningless. I'd way prefer OSVR to become the defacto standard SDK. I believe its truly open as well as opposed to SteamVR which is hardware agnostic but still closed source.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Holy poo poo that guy is super lucky it was only as bad as it was.

Poetic Justice posted:

I would think early adopters are more likely compared to your average person to either already have the space, or clear out the space for the larger sized roomscale area, and even in that case ~20% are only using standing scale. Hmmm.

20% is actually pretty small. Being an early adopter doesn't mean you just have lots of open space in your house. 20% is actually pretty drat impressive its that low, shows that most people really value roomscale over standing. I mean I have a pretty huge apartment and even I barely meet roomscale. I'm sure as time goes on and the tech becomes more ubiquitous people will start making the room for roomscale vr, like converting offices or something.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Poetic Justice posted:

That's sort of what I'm saying though. The fact that the hardcore early adopters aren't already making room for the larger spaces doesn't give me a lot of hope that your average consumer will either.

You can't make space that you don't have. Just because they are early adopters doesn't mean they live somewhere with enough space. Like I said I have what many would consider a HUGE apartment for my city and I barely meet the roomscale minimum.

That number is incredibly and surprisingly low and is actually incredibly good news for roomscale moving forward. Its not even low enough to deter developers from focusing roomscale, the real thing to worry about.l

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 5, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Tweak posted:

That 18.5% must include all rifts on steam too, right?

Yes they said so in their post, it includes both vive and rift.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

I had a pretty decent amount of space at one point (It was like 3.1x2.6 or something) but after a few weeks I didn't want to be in my living room anymore so I had to break everything down, and now in my bedroom I barely have any space at all.

I'd rather chop my dick off than do VR standing. Roomscale is so rad.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Just remember any lovely thing oculus can do can be hand waived away by saying things like "well you can't really have expected them do [a good thing]".

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Valve's retribution for Oculus Home's DRM is to make steamvr enviornments not work for rift users. Take that!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

During development of CV1 we broke DK2 by accident several times (shaders for distortion/TW, device mgmt, overdrive, multi-screen differences, etc), and it was only caught because we still had people testing DK2 explicitly. I would not at all be surprised if it were broken by accident, or if they just decide they want to stop testing DK2 at some point and make a harder break.

Hey was the decision made to gently caress over an open ecosystem while you were there or after?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Thor-Stryker posted:

You say this now but there's an entire movement to feeling like your on drugs from listening to music.

VR is just the next step to give mental addicts their fix.

I'm still waiting for a Vice episode where they subject some LSD addicts to vr just to see what happens.

Wasn't there some weird like meditative drug-like experience in VR that a bunch of people ranted and raved about but was never released? gently caress what was it called?!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Don't buy Oculus exclusive titles. Don't support that dumb ideology. Find other ways to play the title you are interested in, never buy anything on Oculus Home.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Spruchy posted:

I'm just going to buy it on the Oculus store because I have an Oculus and would like to play it today.

Can't wait for the VR future where all content is split by what HMD you own :byewhore:

Idiots and selfish dumb dumbs like this are why Facebook is going to be successful in turning the open ecosystem of the PC into a console-like exclusive nightmare.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Oh lol edge of nowhere is just a bog standard third person horror, but the camera that normally would follow is in VR, whoa man, such good use of VR! Something tells me its like a spooky luckey's tail (Completely middle of the road game with no reason being in VR being crammed into VR for reasons...)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Spruchy posted:

What if I got all the headsets?

You're still encouraging a really dumb and bad paradigm shift congratulations!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Spruchy posted:

So is there anyway for me to play this game without being responsible for the great VR War?

:filez: but in all seriousness the game sounds pretty boring I don't think you'd be missing much.

I mean I get that people want content. Its a sticky situation. It'd really suck to end up in a place of exclusivity per HMD in the near future, Steam still seems to be holding true to its agnostic approach but Oculus is doubling down. I get that you'd want content for the headset you got. Its tough, and most gamers are incredibly hypocritical morons anywhere (someone post the image of the CoD boycott).

Manky posted:

Valve updated the Lab today to add new game modes and leaderboards to Xortex, Longbow, and Slingshot. I really hope we see Longbow turned into a full-featured standalone title.

Or just play this instead since this sounds fun and rad and you said you own all the headsets anyway. Longbow owns super hard.

edit: found it.

So really any boycott of exclusives will probably fail because imagine this but with people who have the expendable income to afford VR poo poo.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 6, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Nvm

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 6, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Is there a point where you can "win" in the slingshot game? I was kind of annoyed that blowing up an area that has tracer core boxes doesn't unlock the tracer cores so I can't get more then 30 million in damage so far. I remember people mentioning that if you "beat" everything like how you can beat the archery one, something unlocks. I don't know if that was just a prank or not.

I think you got pranked, I don't think there is a way to beat that game. Its really fun though and the update makes it sound even more fun.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I really hope Steam locks Oculus out of its store. Not because I think those kind of things are good at all, overall it would be bad, but just because the drama it would cause would be pretty entertaining.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 6, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

It is not in Valve's best interest, or anyone's really except for Oculus, to force people to buy games from the Oculus Store, so that would be pretty dumb.

It would be incredibly dumb. And bad for everyone. But it would be admittedly satisfying and the drama it would cause would be really interesting to watch from afar. Reddit would implode. People singing praises about exclusives would be crying.

But I mean I wonder what Valve's plan is? Its pretty clear down the road that Oculus is going to double down on their exclusivity mindset. If Gen2 rolls around and the two choices are a headset that can play some games but not Oculus games or a headset that can play all games, I might end up choosing the latter, even if the hardware isn't as good, and that kinda sucks.

Valve must be considering this. To the prospective buyer of VR, Oculus becomes more attractive when you are not limited in the software you can access. And if Oculus continues its barring of other HMD's from its store than Valve's gen2 will be limited. There is no way they don't see that coming but what could their response possibly be?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

redhalo posted:

Your the final say in what kinds of games people should enjoy now too? All VR games have to be first person? If you don't utilize all the space you have to the maximum amount of roomscale you should just quit? Your future view of VR is very limiting and unimaginative.

From what I've gathered Edge of Nowhere is essentially Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness. That alone is enough for me to take interest.

What god no, but games which are traditional games that are merely adapted to VR are typically kind of piddling VR games. Edge of Nowhere seems like it was made to just be a normal third person horror game that they then just slapped into VR as opposed to being built from the ground up in VR. It might be fun, the reviews are good, but are those good game reviews or good vr game reviews because the latter is incredibly forgiving.

Horror games in VR are incredibly fun though, and ridiculously scary, I'd still be interested in hearing someone post about their experience with it, even though I don't support purchasing things on Oculus stores or supporting titles that are exclusive.

I'm in kind of a weird place where I can't decide if more VR content is good or if its bad when its exclusive. I really want VR content to take off, I want everyone to be able to play fun and good games, but I don't want users of one headset to feel like second class citizens. I think its a fair thought.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 6, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Why would valve care? They don't sell hardware, they sell software. They don't care what hardware people use to access their store. Making their store exclusive to a device they don't own makes absolutely no sense.

Do you think they'll even do a Gen2 then?

But more to the point, what is Oculus's goal here. By barring out other HMD headsets they lose sales. So that hurts them where are they planning to recoup that cost? Is the end goal to encourage the market to buy Oculus HMD's where they will add tons of markup (I guess the apple model)? Or is the goal to just force every other HMD out of the market so then they are the de-facto VR distribution platform?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Poetic Justice posted:

People should complain to HTC for working exclusively with Valve. Oculus has said they are more than willing to work with headset manufacturers to implement their SDK. Unless part of the deal with Valve was they would be the sole provider of the software, which again isn't really in Oculus's hands.

How is HTC working exclusively with valve a bad thing? Because they preferred an API that was hardware agnostic?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Why is it impossible for you chumps to ignore the guy? It's real easy I promise.

Oculus can say whatever they want though, in practice they are doing exclusives exactly like the conspiracists said they would when Facebook entered the fray. You can't own a non-Oculus headset and use their store with their support and we don't actually know why because Oculus won't tell us. Probably because it's bad and they know it is and don't want to invite that criticism.

Unfortunately this is probably true. Its pretty crazy that almost all of the :tinfoil: predictions came true. Hell lots of what Palmer has said in tweets/comments were straight up lies or he had to later recant it because even his expectations were shot down by men at the top.

I think the piece of information Poetic Justice is using too saying that Oculus offered to work with others was something Palmer had said, but that we have no actual evidence to support other than a single reddit comment. At this point that kind of info just isn't reliable anymore. The real reasons for their decisions moving forward is because its profitable, at the expense of any consumer friendly decision.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Who? Valve? They didn't even do a Gen 1. That's all on HTC. Now that the vive is out, I doubt Valve will be doing anything besides adding in support for any new headsets as they come out. Maybe they'll do a revision of how lighthouse works, but I don't expect them to do anything with hardware.

Knowing Valve you are probably right. And its pretty obvious HTC will do a gen2 but will anyone want one if it can only play half of the games?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

If Oculus keeps this exclusive thing, I honestly don't know if anyone is willing to buy an HTC gen 2 headset if the Oculus Gen2 is just as good but will have more games by virtue of also being able to access the Oculus store. Do I think Valve will care? No, because they also have games that aren't on Oculus because maybe those developers don't want to support Oculus. Steam is the better platform and they can play to that with refunds, wishlists, game reviews, and steam sales. As long as there are VR headsets, SteamVR will exist. So this is really only a problem for HTC and any other manufacturers who want to bring a headset to market.

Yeah but what I'm saying is it kinda sucks for us. And since it doesn't really affect anyone like steam (who I agree make so much money from non-vr sales they probably don't care), the big players I mean, we as consumers can't really change things (well we can, but boycott.jpg). I'd really like to go into Gen2 purchasing whatever HMD is better based on hardware specs, not based on software locking.

theBeaz posted:

Doesn't Steam already have more VR games on it than Home? By virtue of being the largest gaming software distribution platform on PC I don't think you can go wrong with any headset. It should be a foregone conclusion that all future headsets (worth caring about) will have the wherewithal to actually ship with motion controls and as long as they are similar enough all games should be compatible. Oculus will learn or fail just like behemoths like Microsoft do. I guarantee you MS has more invested in Xbox than Facebook does in Oculus and they've pivoted many times.

Between this busted as Rift launch and Steam continuing to have the love of the average PC gamer, they will have to adapt. Who cares if they are lovely right now? It only hurts them, not us.

When Half-Life 2 launched and I had to install this piece of poo poo bloatware called "Steam" I raged at the machine just like you're doing. Today I own 293 (oh my god) games on Steam.

Steam absolutely has more titles but Oculus users can still play those titles. The difference is that Vive users cannot play Oculus Home Titles. So when gen2 hits you will have two options: 1) A HTC headset which can play steam games. Or 2) An Oculus headset which can play steam games and Oculus Home games. People will obviously gravitate towards the latter independent of the hardware.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

God drat I wish, things would be so much simpler...

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Is STEM ever going to be a thing, or did I just throw hundreds of dollars away?

You likely threw it away. Almost nothing is going to target stem. Did it ever even release or is it still a nebulous coming soon.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

I mean more, like, will the hardware ever ship?

Was there any advantage to the stem system over the current motion control technology?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm buying it because I love Chronos and I am an ABSOLUTE MONSTER who does not give a poo poo about the VR Wars. It's a near 7 gig download, so I probably won't have any impressions of it until later tonight but if you want to hold off I'll give a review once I've had a chance to put a little time into it.

I'm triggered please no

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Syves posted:

Last email I saw from that said STEM was delayed to Oct 2016. Looks like they keep changing the goalposts, which is ok on a feature standpoint, but not so hot on something they said they would deliver to people as a real thing.

So in short, no. You tossed your cash down the same toilet I did.

Your body shouldn't occlude magnetic fields.

But the occlusion problem is already solved by just having two separate base stations whether it is rift cameras or vive lighthouses :confused:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Not completely. Cross your hands in front of you, for example. All the LeapMotion failure states apply. Optical tracking is also fragile in the presence of other controllers or props.

OTOH, it exists and isn't an interference-laden mess, so there's that.

Yeah I suppose I've run into some minor occlusion issues since I've had my vive but it's like so infrequently I barely even register it. Isn't stem ridiculously expensive too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

I don't want to talk about it.

:(