Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Knifegrab posted:

Definitely recommend everyone check out the latest version of Minecraft for the Vive. It is really coming along and it works amazingly.

I just looked at a video of that... teleporting is obviously the better movement scheme for room-scale, but is there an option to control it with a gamepad, like the early versions of Minecrift?

Also, this thread seems to be moving pretty slowly. Haven't checked the Vive thread, but I imagine it's mostly shitposting. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
If you can get a Cardboard kit for $15 or less, I'd say it's worth it just as a preview for what "real" VR will be like. Never tried the Gear VR, but I have a friend who has one and he loves it. He hasn't tried either of the "real" HMDs, for reference.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Cojawfee posted:

http://augmentl.io/on-oculus-valve-and-revisionist-history/

This whole Alan Yates thing has been pretty interesting. He's always been an anti-oculus troll but I guess he completely forgot that Valve had no intention of making a consumer VR headset. If Oculus hadn't come along, we wouldn't be talking about VR right now. It was a concerted effort between a lot of different players.

Yeah, as much as people would like to fit the whole Valve/Oculus rivalry into a good vs evil situation, the reality is much more complex (as realities tend to be). It's absolutely true that the Vive would not exist had Oculus not gotten the ball rolling 4 years ago. But the Rift wouldn't be what it is without Valve's early VR research. Honestly, I'm tempted to view the whole thing as a wash. :shobon: Steam is a near-monopoly, too, and the fact that it's a monopoly that has mostly benefited gamers is the reason Valve tends to get a pass. But then, arbitrarily restricting content from headsets that could easily run it like Oculus Home is doing is anathema to the philosophy that the PC arena has operated under since time immemorial. It's a sticky situation.

For my part, I keep seesawing back and forth re: which one to buy. Vive has the more complete experience right now, that's a fact. I would hope that Oculus is watching how popular room-scale experiences are turning out to be and planning accordingly, but there's no way to know that for sure. In the meantime, the Rift is much more comfortable, and its screen is sharper and brighter.

This is the first time I've entertained being an early adopter, so I'm not used to this conundrum. I feel like there's a 50/50 chance I'm going to end up with the VR equivalent of HD-DVD. :v:

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Lemming posted:

If you're not sure at this point then definitely hold off. There's just not much to do yet.

I may just wind up doing that; what's keeping me indecisive is a) I've been watching this industry develop for the last 4 years with bated breath, and b) an irrational feeling that VR needs my support to survive these early days, dammit! As if the backing of several multibillion dollar companies isn't enough. :v:

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Poetic Justice posted:

Like others have said, it's best to wait until at least Touch comes out to make choice. Also, I've seen a couple people say that, but the Vive actually has the brighter screen, although how important that is is debatable. Since the screens aren't competing with background lighting, your eyes adapt to whatever brightness the headsets are at pretty quickly, although some people do prefer the brighter Vive screen.

I'm just going by what I observed with the demo unit I tried, relative to my memories of the Rift 4 days earlier. The Rift did seem sharper and brighter than the Vive, which I observed by how immersed I felt in the non-interactive demo scenes on each headset. Though I might have a more favorable view of the Vive's optics if they'd had a cutout town too (seriously, that was so loving :krad:. VR board games are coming!).

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Was on a Farsight stream yesterday and they said VR is still in the works for PBA :toot:

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Wow, that's an excellent article. No fanboyism, just raw facts and objective-as-possible observations, aside from some speculation about the PSVR. Thanks for linking it!

Edit: poo poo, wrong article. I somehow got from the ars post to this one on TomsHardware, which is what I was talking about. Oops.

I just cancelled my Rift pre-order, which stung a bit, but I really don't want to commit to a headset until the motion-controller dust has settled. Maybe Oculus will release some info around E3?

Ludicrous Gibs! fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 29, 2016

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
So, Farsight's successor to Pinball Arcade is coming, and it's VR-ready! And an Oculus Store exclusive. Goddammit. :sigh:

https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/videos/10154204364334244/

Edit: Just remembered the crowdfunding campaign for this project last month, that was suddenly cancelled without warning. Think the reason is pretty obvious now. Nice that they didn't have to raise $300,000 or whatever they were shooting for, but too bad it means another headset-exclusive game.

Ludicrous Gibs! fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 2, 2016

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
I think the Oculus Store will ultimately be moot, on PC at least. Self-contained devices like the Gear VR are where Oculus thinks the market is headed, and those could easily wind up having their own OS, and thus their own ecosystem. Hence why they have Carmack working on the mobile stuff.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

BossTweed posted:

^^ I have a i5-2500k and a GTX 960 and I am planning on getting it. I will report back once I try it out and let you know if I have similar experiences. With the Vive, my 2500k has been a limiting factor for a fair number of games, so it might be a game that uses a lot of CPU.

Hmmm. That casts a dim light on my plan to use my non-OC'able i5-2500 with a 1070 in my VR PC until Kaby Lake/Skylake/Zen (lol) comes out.

Couple questions for the headset-havers:

Are the visual quality/legibility problems the Vive has in Elite also present in Euro Truck Sim?

And, has anyone here given the Future Pinball VR mod a try?

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Poetic Justice posted:

The Fantastic Contraption video I posted earlier has the dev working with 18 feet diagonal between Rift cameras and he says it works pretty much flawlessly. He is also using a crappy usb1 extension cable that kept cutting out for one camera and a USB2 for the other and the tracking was fine for the most part, considering you are supposed to be using USB3 cables.

Obviously, you have a problem if you stand in one of the camera-less corners and occlude both controllers with your body. Does the Vive still maintain tracking in those circumstances?

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Um, context? Is this supposed to be Oculus' idea of a typical use case for Rift+Touch? A sign that an announcement about the latter is coming soon? Or is it just "ha ha, look at the obviously staged promotional photo"?

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

homeless snail posted:

smh if you can't recognize Geordie LaForge in his natural element

Ahhh, I just didn't recognize him with a... visor... on his... face. Yeah. :v:

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Has Oculus already had their press conference? I assume that's when they would release more info about Touch. If E3 comes and goes without any, I'm probably going to give up on the Rift, at least for gen 1.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

theBeaz posted:

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/over-30-full-games-launching-with-oculus-touch-this-year/

"This is just the beginning—there are hundreds of additional Touch titles in development, and we’ll share the full Touch lineup and launch details later this fall."

Ugh. This might be as good as we get.

Goddammit, Oculus. You dropped the ball and now you're kicking it down the stairs. :mad:

If we have to wait till September or later to get specifics on Touch, they'd better have a warehouse full of them ready to ship by the time the announcement comes.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Cojawfee posted:

Rumor mill seems to be pointing for a Touch release sometime in October/November. Some game that was listed as being released in November was announced as a Touch launch title. While these timed Oculus exclusives are super lame, it does at least give some short term enjoyment via all the people getting real mad about it. I'd rather buy these games on Steam.

Well, that's pretty much as expected. I don't think anyone thought they would get it out in July or August. Now what remains to be seen is if they learned anything from the snafu that was the CV1 launch.

Price-wise, I'm expecting $300. 200 would be nice for price-parity with the Vive, but Touch looks like it has a few more bells and whistles than the Vive wands, plus cameras are likely more expensive than laser projectors.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Hierophant posted:

I would also be inclined to guess $300, but based on the fact that I guessed the Oculus would cost $450 and it ended up costing $600, I'm going to revise my guess for touch to be $350. Keep in mind that on the leaked accessory page for the Vive, the wands and base stations were listed at about $110, meaning that two wands and a base station would cost about $330.

All I need is for them to announce a special discount for CV1 preorders, so I can kick myself some more over that cancellation. :v:

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Is Sony actually locking these PSVR games to their platform, or could they eventually be ported to PC after a while?

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Zero VGS posted:

Full disclosure, I'm never buying anything from the Oculus store, lol. But VR does need curation and content so I can't bash them for what they're attempting.

I agree 100%. Curation is the biggest way in which Valve and Steam are really, really, REALLY falling down at the moment. VR doesn't need a parade of Unity asset flips priced at $4.99.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Cojawfee posted:

I guess kazy will have to answer since he seems to be the only one with touch. Can you set up steam room scale with it?

Yeah, I'd really like to know this as well. Does it work with existing room-scale games without the devs needing to explicitly code support in?

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
^^^^^^ I'm more than a little disappointed that Valve is the one doing this, given all Palmer Luckey's talk about fostering the technology over all else. But it's pretty clear at this point that the FB acquisition changed that.

a timely and original joke that has not in any way been repeated ad-nauseum for the last 3-4 years :v:

Seriously, the only similarities between 3DTV and VR is that they're both stereoscopic and involve wearing something on your face.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Well, I guess that answers my question about whether games have to be coded explicitly for the Rift+Touch. Now let's have a price and a release date!

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Edit: never mind.

Ludicrous Gibs! fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 26, 2016

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Very encouraged by news of Oculus support for more than 2 cameras. Too bad we're probably going to have to wait till October for more news on Touch. Hopefully the announcement will be something along the lines of "they're shipping now!"

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Hmm. After installing a 1070 in my box, Steam's VR readiness tool gives me a pass, while Oculus' says I need to upgrade my i5-2500. Anyone tried running a lot of VR games with a below-minimum CPU?

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Cojawfee posted:

The Oculus tool isn't a benchmark, it just checks what the model name is. The Steam benchmark doesn't really test CPU either though I guess it technically tests the CPU a little as it runs a graphics test.

Yeah, I figured as much for the Oculus tool. Steam's gave me 5/13k CPU-bound frames, which sounds pretty good, but I can't imagine it puts a significant load on anything other than the GPU.

I'd just love to put off a CPU upgrade for as long as I can, since gains between generations are so slight now and I'll likely be using it for a good while. I went from a 560Ti to this 1070, so I'd like as close a performance jump to that as possible on the CPU side. :v:

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

EdEddnEddy posted:

If you have a 2500K, do you have it Overclocked any or are you running it stock?

Stock it will be CPU limiting but that chip has a lot of headroom to run above 4Ghz which should alleviate pretty much any CPU limiting factor for any current VR game.

Nope, I was an idiot back in 2011 and didn't shell out the extra dosh for the OC'able version. Had never OC'd a CPU before, thinking it still worked like it did in the Pentium2 days, so figured I didn't need it.

Honestly, I'm planning to get a i5-6600k sometime soon-ish, but was kind of hoping I could do a little VR in the meantime if I bought a headset.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

EdEddnEddy posted:

It should still work fine, Oculus seems a bit more forgiving on CPU overhead than the Vive but outside of that you should still be able to play plenty.

That seems odd, considering that Oculus is doing image processing from a USB3 video stream, while the Vive is just picking up on pulsed lasers. Unless you meant the games in general?

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Ah, gotcha. That makes sense.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
God, I cannot wait to play with that.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Cojawfee posted:

While accessories for the rift aren't technically up for sale, people have been putting in tickets to get replacements and have prices for various things. The camera costs 99 dollars, cable is 59 dollars, headphones are 45 dollars, facial interfaces are 20 dollars. No one really knows how much Oculus paid for the xbone controllers and I don't know if there has been a price listed for the remote yet. That puts the price for just the headset around 350 dollars which technically is in the ballpark everyone latched onto.

Interesting that the Vive base station costs 34 dollars more than the Rift camera. Everyone was blabbering on about the camera being so expensive compared to what they thought were simple, cheap parts. Though 99 dollars for the rift camera, and vive controllers being 130 dollars each, touch is probably going to be closer to 300 dollars rather than the 200 everyone hoped for. Though the camera is definitely not that 200 dollar webcam that one guy claimed it was because they had the same cylindrical shape.

That's exactly what I expected the camera to cost on its own. Good to know if I decide I want to stick one in each corner of my room. And $300 was my guess for Touch as well.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
I think the general assumption is that they're going to make an announcement at Oculus Connect 3 in early October.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Well, it's all we've got to do during the interminable wait for them to announce price and availability for the goddamn things.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Well apparently it's for Canucks only, so no dice for me, at least. :sigh:

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
I think the recent addition of 4-camera support to the Oculus SDK is proof that they're rethinking their stance on room-scale experiences.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

KakerMix posted:

Is the idea that you'd have 4 total cameras for room scale? Can't you not do that with 2 like the Vive?

The idea that you can buy the Rift but not Touch is bad enough for potential adoption (but good for Vive ports at least) but if you also have to buy 2 more cameras on top of that plus all the cables to connect to your computer just seems a bit much>
Like the SLI of VR.

AFAIK, Vive still has some occlusion issues in spots, where the user's body blocks the wands. Four cameras, one in each corner of the room, could potentially eliminate that. Although that raises an interesting question of how wide the FOV on the Oculus cameras is. As in, assuming a camera in each upper corner of a room, how far from one do you need to be in order for it to see your head+hands? Assuming you're using an entire room (as I intend to), it could potentially make your usable space that much smaller.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Avegant started in my hometown, so I'm rooting for the Glyph to succeed. If I shell out $600+ for a HMD in the near future, though, it's not going to be for a headset that doesn't do VR.

Also, I bought a NIB Gear from Ebay today, so I will soon be basking in mid-tier VR while I wait to get money/hardware/gumption together for a PC headset. :toot:

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Gear VR trip report: holy hell, does the lack of positional tracking do a number on my stomach. Like, so bad that moving my head around in the Netflix app is enough to cause problems. Anyone who's used one extensively: am I likely to get my "VR legs" by using it enough?

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Well, I tried AltSpace VR tonight with a gamepad, and even though it was a stuttery, skippy mess I didn't puke or really feel noticeably nauseous. Still not fond of looking in a direction other than the one I'm moving in, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
Anyone know if the Win10 Minecraft can connect to Vanilla servers? I just bought the Gear VR edition yesterday, which has its own multiplayer system like the other mobile versions, and the Win10 port looks to have a lot of the same interface elements. I'm hoping to be able to eventually go onto my usual server and stroll around the stuff I created.