Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

Pi Mu Rho posted:

I've been developing demos for a company that can detect your facial expressions when wearing a HMD. The difference it makes to any kind of avatar is pretty immense.

Can you say who this company is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I keep playing the Brookhaven demo and wishing for me. It's really cool how the game ramps up (or seems to, anyway) based on how well you've done though - I know people who've claimed to finish it without seeing any giants, and I had two giants bearing down on me at the same time with a third close behind. I swear picking the grenade makes them more likely to spawn too (which is great, because they are the only thing worth using a grenade on!). Being able to consistently make headshots at range in the dark with one shot is a great feeling.

Now I just wish I could get this into space pirate trainer... will have to keep trying until it clicks, I guess.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Olesh posted:

I'm technically stereo blind (although I can temporarily focus with an effort to get stereo vision) and the Rift/Vive are basically like magic for me. Not only do I have zero problems focusing and getting stereo 3d in the headset, for a while after using them my eyes will continue to naturally focus without effort and I get depth perception again.

I'm a bit of a weird mutant edge case, though, but it's encouraging to hear not only that other people are also finding that 3D has therapeutic effects but that it's significant enough that its uses in treatment are being actively pursued.

I wonder how common it is that people like you and me can gain stereo vision with these things. The science over the next few years is definitely gonna be fascinating.

Now that I'm home, I've realized my living room is quite a bit less cramped than I thought--it'll be very easy to move things around and create a Vive play area. First gen be damned I want in on this :getin:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Surprise Giraffe posted:

How do they pull that off? Maybe you can't give details but for the HMDs currently on the market you'd have put tiny cameras or something in the faceplate to pick up the bits of face that are totally obscured, right? Unless you could sort of extrapolate from the expression on the uncovered portion of the face

It could be something along the lines of what oculus was playing around with a while ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgKkEnaaSDc

Theres a camera for the mouth and lower stuff, but they have sensors in the lining of the foam that can read the way the rest of your face moves.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
That is a lot of sensors and cameras just to track facial expressions. Unlikely to come out anytime soon like that. And having to stay in front of the camera to see the mouth seems like it would be a pain.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ShadowMoo posted:

That is a lot of sensors and cameras just to track facial expressions. Unlikely to come out anytime soon like that. And having to stay in front of the camera to see the mouth seems like it would be a pain.

I could pretty easily envision it for gen 2 though, the sensors built into the foam lining would be easy enough it seems, and if the camera system can be integrated onto the bottom of the HMD, miniaturized as nothing more than a little nub that can see your lower face.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
That is a lot of overhead for something that wouldn't get much use outside of online sims. Also the dev support might be lacking if there isn't a one-size-fits-all codebase for it. It could easily turn into another Kinect or PS-move. Also, isn't the foam lining supposed to be replaceable if it gets gamer stank or ripped. Not to mention facial sweat getting into the sensors. Tons of issues they would have to work out for it to be worthwhile. Also if you are tracking the face then you likely also want to capture voice, so it would need a microphone. From what I've read the current Vive mic is absolute crap.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 11, 2016

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ShadowMoo posted:

From what I've read the current Vive mic is absolute crap.

The mic is pretty good now after a firmware update. It's still not as good as the one in Oculus' HMD but it isn't garbage anymore.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

ShadowMoo posted:

Eh, I'm pretty sure just a single video camera could detect facial movement as well. Maybe not to the same fidelity, but good enough for us normals who just want a fancy chat room.

a real slam dunk
Jun 30, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

Interesting. And just making sure before I probably pull the trigger tonight, it won't refuse to run just because my processor is slightly undergunned, will it? (i5 4570 vs their recommended 4590, but a 980ti for video)

A little late, but I've got an i5 4570 and a GTX 980 (non-ti) and so far everything has run very smoothly. And I've run basically everything I can get my hands on.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

nelson posted:

Eh, I'm pretty sure just a single video camera could detect facial movement as well. Maybe not to the same fidelity, but good enough for us normals who just want a fancy chat room.

Imagine Second Life in all it's unholy glory in full VR, facial recognition, and voice chat. (VR dicks everywhere)

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 11, 2016

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007

ShadowMoo posted:

(VR dicks everywhere)

Dick tracking is an open problem, get on it startups.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Found this on reddit.

https://m.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4nj34s/digitalspy_accidentally_leak_upcoming_vr_game/

quote:

http://i.imgur.com/K2aCRhl.jpg

Thanks to Ubisoft and developer Red Storm, soon you'll be able to conquer the final frontier in a brand new VR game called Star Trek: Bridge Crew.

Set in the rebooted JJ Abrams universe, the game actually takes place on a new USS Aegis ship, with your mission being to find a new home world for the Vulan population. It's set after the timeline of the first Star Trek film.

http://i.imgur.com/EUGj38y.jpg

It's a four-player co-op experience, with you and three mates taking on the various roles of the bridge crew – Captain, Helmsman, Engineer and Tactical Officer. The entire game is mission-based, but you'll need to work together with your fellow Bridge Crew members to make sure you accomplish all the various tasks.

You'll be communicating to each other as you explore, encountering the Klingons and other alien species en route.

http://i.imgur.com/r6oaDLa.jpg

"The Bridge Crew experience is highly social. That's the type of VR we've been exploring at Red Storm – social VR," explained David Votypka, Senior Creative Director at Red Storm. "Like with Werewolves Within, we really take the tech and apply it to this brand. The social element is already in the DNA of the Star Trek brand.

"They rely on each other. They have to communicate and work together. That dynamic about the brand is like a perfect fit for this technology, where you have that presence. You feel like you're there with other people, but you also get to do it on the bridge of a Federation starship."

Star Trek: Bridge Crew uses hand-tracking and special lip sync technology to make you feel like you're talking to real characters and really are part of the USS Aegis crew.

http://i.imgur.com/OwROnIZ.jpg

It's a bit sad that we're not going to be piloting the USS Enterprise in Red Storm's upcoming VR title, but it seems there's a deliberate reason for making it the USS Aegis.

"Pretty early on, we talked about how players, of course, would love to be on the Enterprise and fly the Enterprise – but, at the same time, this is a new technology that lets you immerse yourself in this world.

"That was one of the reasons why we wanted to allow players to become a Federation officer themselves, for them to become the crew. So, in a lot of ways that made sense. If you're becoming the crew, if you're becoming the Federation officer – it's about your career, your mission, your adventures [then] we should do a different ship.

"Secondly, we wanted to do some narrative story missions as well. If you're on the Enterprise, it's immediately confusing. It's like, 'I'm on the Enterprise, but where are Kirk, Sulu and Spock?' For those two main reasons, we wanted to create a different ship in a different area of space in its own setting and it's own storyline."

http://i.imgur.com/Fu50rm9.jpg

Regardless of the lack of Enterprise, the game still has a uniquely Star Trek feel. Although we've not had a chance to go hands-on (or head-on) with the VR title, three familiar faces have already been strapped into the headsets and given the game a whirl.

Those faces are Karl Urban of the Star Trek reboot and Star Trek: Into Darkness, LeVar Burton of Star Trek: Generations and other titles and Jeri Ryan of Star Trek: Voyager – all of whom have quite the insight into the Star Trek world.

"I have to say, this was an extraordinary experience. It's one thing to be on set and imagine a scenario like this, but it's an entirely different beast when you are actually in this game and your adversaries are fully-3D rendered right [in front of you]," said Karl Urban after playing Star Trek: Bridge Crew.

http://i.imgur.com/C8WjoAe.jpg

"I've sampled VR in various iterations of the technology. This [game], by far, is the best I've ever had the chance to play," added LeVar Burton. "This is where we all hoped we were heading, certainly where gaming is concerned.

"The graphics are amazing, the art – it's all terrific. But one of the things I love most about it is that they have really maintained the integrity of the Star Trek ethos – the values of cooperation are actually built into the gameplay. I think that's very cool because Star Trek really is unique in that it is our hopeful look at the future."

"It's incredible. The things that you do and the way that you interact, everyone working together – it's beautifully done," said Jeri Ryan. "It's not just blowing things up. You're not just shooting. There's a million games where you can shoot people. This is more than that. Star Trek was more than that because also you're trying to rescue people and get them home. It's really cool."

In a time when very few people have virtual reality headsets at home – we currently don't know what platforms Star Trek: Bridge Crew will launch on – we still wonder whether social VR is the way to go. But with our Star Trek guinea pigs, it seems that's one of the biggest sells for the game.

"It was actually my favourite part of the experience," explained Urban. "You learn to work together as a better team. You each have a specific set of functions to perform. If one of your colleagues fails to perform, it could impact the wellbeing of everybody in the game. There's pressure there to get it right and do your job."

"The ability to be in a virtual reality environment with your friends, that's pretty cool. It's absolutely unique and I can't tell you how much fun it is," said Burton. "You're all in different locations, different cities, sometimes different countries. Imagine being able to actually have a physical representation of one another and be able to share a singular environment. That's pretty cool."

But Burton actually wants to take the Star Trek experience a step further by reuniting Star Trek: Next Generations in Bridge Crew.

"I'd love to play this game with other members of the Next Gen cast. I think it would be an absolute blast. Playing with Brent [Spiner], Jonathan [Frakes] and Michael [Dorn] – it would be a gas! So much fun!"

So artemis bridge sim in vr! I hope it comes out to all the systems with cross play.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
So it basically requires you to have 3 friends who also have VR headsets. I guess it might work if goons start splitting up 4-packs. This doesn't seem like the sort of thing you would want to pug though. And it would get dull once you have done all the set pieces.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

robostac posted:

Theres a reddit wiki with lists of cables people have used:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/wiki/cables

I'm using the bluerigger 10m USB and Startech 10m active HDMI without any noticeable difference in latency. The HDMI cable is slightly awkward as it's quite thick and not very flexible, so it ends up sticking out when going round corners.
Thanks for this, I got the same USB cable and a monoprice 30' HDMI cable off the list. Other than me plugging the USB in backwards twice and the 30' cable being maybe 6" short of ideal, it works perfectly.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

Surprise Giraffe posted:

How do they pull that off? Maybe you can't give details but for the HMDs currently on the market you'd have put tiny cameras or something in the faceplate to pick up the bits of face that are totally obscured, right? Unless you could sort of extrapolate from the expression on the uncovered portion of the face

It's additional hardware, but it would be easily integratable into the next generation of HMDs, or works fine as an add-on.

Krenzo posted:

Can you say who this company is?

Sorry, not at the moment. They've not gone public with it yet.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ShadowMoo posted:

So it basically requires you to have 3 friends who also have VR headsets. I guess it might work if goons start splitting up 4-packs. This doesn't seem like the sort of thing you would want to pug though. And it would get dull once you have done all the set pieces.

PUGs in VR aren't as bad since you'll see other actual human beings and so they're less likely to be poo poo. Most VR users are pretty cool.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

EdEddnEddy posted:

V Signup for the Alpha/Beta

Their Twitter is a little stale, but they are hard at work on their new tech. Basicly it allows you to multitask with an overlay drawn inside your VR environment from what I can tell. Similar to some stuff that the Leap Motion guys were working on for their use cases.

What It means is being able to throw up a VLC/Browser/Explorer window anywhere in your VR environment so you can watch Netflix/Video/Browse the web (not sure how) inside your Cockpit of Elite, or to the side of your view in Minecraft, etc. This, will be amazing.

Thanks for that. Looks like it uses the mobile versions of apps to run? Still... would be real cool to have something running in Elite so I don't need to keep popping off the HMD to find the nearest Yongmart or whatever. Also netflix.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Speaking of, looks like it'll be cross-platform...

https://twitter.com/JustinRoiland/status/741492279987167232

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just watched a video of Audioshield and now I've officially reached "jonesing" levels of hype for the vive

I hope it ships and arrives soon :unsmith:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Audioshield is the absolute best thing for the Vive right now due to its infinite content and how well most of it syncs up.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

Pi Mu Rho posted:

Sorry, not at the moment. They've not gone public with it yet.

Sent you a PM.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I must be the only person who doesn't care for Audioshield, the presentation is absolutely terrible and the gameplay got dull after a couple songs. Must of been the fastest refund I've requested on Steam.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It's mostly for those who really enjoy the music they like and if that music melds well with the track generation. I was totally sold after playing Hopes and Dreams from Undertale, which translated very well to their beat maps.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Um, context? Is this supposed to be Oculus' idea of a typical use case for Rift+Touch? A sign that an announcement about the latter is coming soon? Or is it just "ha ha, look at the obviously staged promotional photo"?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

smh if you can't recognize Geordie LaForge in his natural element

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Um, context? Is this supposed to be Oculus' idea of a typical use case for Rift+Touch? A sign that an announcement about the latter is coming soon? Or is it just "ha ha, look at the obviously staged promotional photo"?

It's a gaming coming out where you and 3 other people are on the bridge of a starship in star trek.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder how common it is that people like you and me can gain stereo vision with these things. The science over the next few years is definitely gonna be fascinating.

Now that I'm home, I've realized my living room is quite a bit less cramped than I thought--it'll be very easy to move things around and create a Vive play area. First gen be damned I want in on this :getin:

Same w/ the stereovision. I actually didn't realize I was stereo blind until recently. Figured the depth in the Vive was just ultra-exaggerated for effect. Nope! That's just the way the world looks to most people. One of the things that finally got me to an optometrist, so now I've got glasses that can get me part of the way there even without VR. I think it's gonna be a shock for a whole lot of people.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Hamelekim posted:

It's a gaming coming out where you and 3 other people are on the bridge of a starship in star trek.

Lmao the thought of VR LAN parties

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/star-trek-actors-series-vr-game-spin-39780072

Neat, looks like they'll be revealing more tomorrow.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

homeless snail posted:

smh if you can't recognize Geordie LaForge in his natural element

Ahhh, I just didn't recognize him with a... visor... on his... face. Yeah. :v:

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Just checked out "Destinations" on Steam with my Rift. Pretty cool setup for virtual environments. I'm grateful that they put in options for us plebs without motion controls (and the gamepad works great for it). Got to test out my roomscale=rug setup as I walked around the surface of Mars, giant virtual popcorn, and other workshop creations. I really can't wait to have a second camera for more accurate tracking. Going roomscale with a single camera makes tracking get all wobbly. Doesn't make me sick (might affect others) but it does ruin the immersion a bit.

Please announce Touch availability at E3... pleeeeeease.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

s.i.r.e. posted:

I must be the only person who doesn't care for Audioshield, the presentation is absolutely terrible and the gameplay got dull after a couple songs. Must of been the fastest refund I've requested on Steam.

Yeah, Audioshield is so incredibly basic, lacking in juice and player feedback. It doesn't have any sort of combo system, merely a running consecutive hits counter in a place you'll never see. There are no points pop-ups, no feedback for movement embellishment, no punishment for missed orbs. You just finish the song and look at some aggregate numbers. It's basically a design study in how to make a rhythm game boring.

This is all beside the fact that the beat-matching and the resultant orb patterns for a great deal of music don't have any sort of coherence.

Plus it does this thing where it modulates the orb speed according to the song volume, which is just garbo.

Original Harmonix devs, where are you? I just want Amplitude VR or something like that, thanks.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

sliderule posted:

no feedback for movement embellishment

This, at least, is wrong. There is visual feedback for how hard you hit the orbs and your ferocity effects your score.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Has anyone tried this "Destinations Workshop Tools" on steam? It says it has Rift and gamepad support, but when I run it, SteamVR comes up and then nothing else happens.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
Silly question, but have you checked the "enable unknown sources" option in the Rift settings?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

DrBox posted:

Has anyone tried this "Destinations Workshop Tools" on steam? It says it has Rift and gamepad support, but when I run it, SteamVR comes up and then nothing else happens.

SteamVR is really janky, it took me several tries to get steamVR to even bring up the menu inside of the launcher since none of the buttons worked. Essentially though what you have to do is launch steamVR first, then from within that bring up you list of games pressing the start or select button (or some combination or something, honestly I had to press enter on my keyboard to finally get it to bring up any menu) and then select destinations. If you try to launch it just from your desktop steam list it doesn't want to work.

Edit: That said, destinations was kind of neat, it was cool to walk around on the surface of mars and see the size of the rover.

Edit 2: If people want to see some more stuff like that and haven't checked it out already, look up 'sketchfab VR', its on steam and oculus home. They've got some boring stuff in it, but the photogramawhatsit capture they have of several locations are the reason to check it out. They're all really nicely presented.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 13, 2016

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Manky posted:

This, at least, is wrong. There is visual feedback for how hard you hit the orbs and your ferocity effects your score.

Well if there is, it's not great. What is it, more confetti? I understand that the scoring is there, but it doesn't feel that way when I'm playing.

Usually, rhythm games shower you with positive feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I got Destinations to work. Had to launch it from within SteamVR. Starting it from desktop steam seemed to hang even though it would start up SteamVR. Pretty cool. I really liked Darbyshire even though a lot of the vegetation looks a little messed up.

Edit: Trying out Sketchfab now. Thanks for the tips.

Edit2: Sketchfab needs a Vive controller and for some reason loaded up upside-down so that was vomit inducing.

In VR-legs related news: I managed to play a full round of Eve Valkyrie for the first time without feeling like I was going to throw up. I still don't feel 100% comfortable but it's getting better. Too bad the game itself is super mediocre. Those menus are terrible.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 13, 2016