Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't like art of fight cause I could never tell what loadout table was mine and people are mean when you steal their ammo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh y god, climbey is SO GOOD. may be the killer app for VR for me so far. I can see myself putting dozens of hours into it. If you're a fan of platformers it is a must try. The moveset isn't the same but you *feel* like some sort of mario/ezio hybrid.

Only downside is that my arms are in severe pain today after putting in 5-6 hours over the weekend. It uses muscles I didn't know I had.

other games I've put some time into this weekend since getting my VR back up after a move. Let me know if anyone wants more info

Sairento VR - early access cyborg ninja game, a bit more polished than raw data was at launch. features include a random loot and char progression systems, and a cool movement system where you can either shift along the ground or jump. jumping then hitting the bullet time button and capping some dudes on your way down is next level fun

arizona sunshine - I had played this previously but only got what I thought was 1/4 through. Bought the full game and found that where I was (end of caves) was halfway through the level. The 'levels' are *short* and are really only one little area each. steep pricetag this in mind but the production values are really really great. shooting zombies can blow little bits of the top of their skull off, their movements are scary and theres lots of variety in visual appearance.

blueshift- free to play flying game. not much to do now but you can woosh around. a highlight is the 'hyperloop' level that is a closed in tunnel so you just hit the gas and try your best to stay facing forward while you move through a glass looping tunnel at 600 mph

vertigo - only played a bit so far but I was really looking forward to this one and it seems good so far. Good atmosphere and I really like the worldbuilding I've seen so far.

bullet sorrow - the demo is definitely worth playing, see if you like it. it's a pretty standard shooter, essentially time crisis in VR with a teleport mechanic. shooting feels really great but the difficulty is an issue. It's a cakewalk until one room that just demolishes you immediately. There's no checkpoints either and apparently only three levels int he full version so maybe stick with the demo for now imo.

climbey - again holy poo poo, completing the airfield level on the workshop was one of my favourite VR experiences ever.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 23, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the workshop levels are where it really shines from the few I've tried so far. There's whole mechanics that aren't in the main game like zero gravity fields.

Also highly recommended is a good skybox, the ones that come with the game are a bit lo-res and poo poo scale-wise. a good city aerial skybox moves it from a bit scary to be up high to genuine palm tingling fear when you make that one handed jump over a chasm with a 5 minute trek back to a waypoint. just search google for aerial spheres that are greater than at least 8mb (bigger the better). It's also better to get ones that are higher up so the lack of parallax when you fall is less noticible

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

bloodysabbath posted:

Heads up that the developer of Bullet Sorrow has patched the game to be compatible with the touch again. Game was a great Japanese sci-fi take on Time Crisis that unfortunately broke apart when you tried to pick up a shotgun. That is apparently fixed now and the game is otherwise fantastic.

How long are the levels? Do they all have the same weird difficulty curve as the demo?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
so completely out of nowhere:

1) arizona sunshine releases trackpad movement for those who prefer it over teleport (me)
2) a deus ex mankind divided "experience" just came out. not sure yet on content or if you need the original game but I'll report back when I play tonight

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
somebody posted an amazing futurama break room steam environment on reddit

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=854399522

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is anyone up for getting together for some multiplayer climbey or serious sam tonight? Would be cool to get a group of goons together

edit: vanishing realms and sairento are both Buy Plus ratings from the walrus

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

This looks... absurdly terrible though.

It's not. From watching that video for 30 seconds he needs to work on his style. The katana is incredibly strong and should really be your primary weapon (though in your left hand). Ideal combat maneuver is jumping in an arc through the air in slomo, capping some dudes from the air, landing next to your target and slicing his head off. It's good.

Map selection is extremely limited and the enemy AI is braindead at best but the core gameplay is there so hopefully the rest will come.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 6, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
also finally tried out GORN this weekend, wow that's fun poo poo. needs some balance though, when things get hairy it's hard to resist picking a dude up and beating his friends to death with him. human battering ram op.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Okay so I'm going to spam the thread with this every day until sat:

Saturday! 1:00 ET! come hang out with internet people in VR. I'm open to suggestions for games but right now I'm thinking we should play:

1. Climbey - until our arms get tired
2. Serious Sam the First Encounter - shoot some fols
3. VRChat - It's free so maybe we can just start with this one? I strongly recommend we all use the skeleton skins and go around freakin people out with our skele ways.

So again, saturday at 1:00 ET. I'll post steam friend info in subsequent posts.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thought VR chat might be a bit fresher as it offer similar features and is newer. Rec room doesn't have skeleton avatars is a big knock against it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

App13 posted:

Is there a steam group/discord for this shindig?

I'll set something up this evening.

edit: or may as well just use the one above but I'll post my steam info this evening.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
yeah had just posted in the vive thread, apparently rec room's wow lite update is out this thursday, so I'm gonna say we meet up in the lobby there, again this saturday afternoon at 1:00 eastern standard. From there we can figure out what to play next as a group if that gets old. I'll post about it once more on friday to remind everyone

e: steam info is http://steamcommunity.com/id/torontowalrus/ but we can probably just pick somewhere physical to meet up in the lobby, like just next to the booth in the middle there.

edit: I'm also gonna be playing a solid amount of climbey tomorrow evening, there's few enough servers ppl should just hop on if they're playing anyway, it's so good with other people. some kid was going on about some dude named dempshey from call of duty or something, he wouldn't stop with it, any other online game it would be annoying but it was pretty hilarious. i was then dempshey for a while, though i needed to put on a deeper voice to do it convincingly apparently

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 8, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
big Croteam update -

- SS TLH new planet coming out very soon
- SS 2 and 3 VR coming soon
- SS4 in development, will have VR
- updates coming to all SS games allowing VR players to play with flatscreen ppl

- and best of all, Talos motherfuckin Principle VR is coming

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lol it's really not that cool, maybe like 15 seconds of 'whoa those pipes are huuuge'.

Im gonna be on climbey tn also tho, post your steamid

edit: the best climbey maps I've played so far that weren't in the buncollection series (that guy needs to make more he has a great sense of design) are airfield (8/10 difficulty, extremely long, but lots of checkpoints) and skyscraper (4.5/10 difficulty and very tightly designed)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
so the giant warhammer in GORN is now, unequivocally, my favourite video game weapon ever. oh my god. so much fun. wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, SMASH CAVE THAT FUCKERS SKULL IN. i think it gave me a semi tbh. maybe i need help.

also fun is doing giant horizontal sweeps and destroying their kneecaps. it's actually a bit disturbing the rush you get from maiming and dismembering dudes in VR, even as cartoony as GORN is. VR is either going to give a lot of potential serial killers an outlet or create a lot of new ones.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm holding off on playing it until the meetup on Sat, hopefully some others will be lvl one still also, not that I have any idea if that matters

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
reminder that we are meeting in the lobby of rec room tomorrow at 1:00 PM ET for games. be there and be afternoon drunk.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
reminder rec room today at 1:00 ET.

edit: also this climbey level is nuts. was with some slower people but it took us 50 mins before we gave up, maybe 4/5 of the way to the top. it's the closest thing to an actual video game level I've played. so so good.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799938181&searchtext=the+well

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 11, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bum the Sad posted:

How can people even meet up in Rec Room. The locker rooms are random? Me and my IRL friend had to swap locker rooms like 20 times to find each other.

lol oh poo poo that's an issue. does anyone know if vrchat is the same situation?

edit: oh sweet, thanks cowja. everyone can add me at http://steamcommunity.com/id/torontowalrus/

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
We're playing cklimbey now room for 2 more. add me then look for me in the server browser

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
fun times. a few of us were playing climbey - we actually fuckin beat this level. one hour four mins. my arms are tired.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799938181

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sefal posted:

Audioshield looks so awesome! So you are saying it will create beats on any song? I need this

yes but it really only works well with electronic and hiphop

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
No way to get robo recall for free with vive controllers on revive I'm assuming?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AndrewP posted:

I didn't realize Arizona Sunshine added a new locomotion mode, so I tried it out last night.

I know everyone clamors for this type of movement, but this doesn't feel any more "natural" to me than teleportation. It feels like you're sliding across the ground plus some unnatural sideways and occasional mix ups thrown in there your hands aren't pointed the right way. Pretty much every game with this type of locomotion has felt this way to me and I think I prefer teleportation right now.

you gotta do little steps in place

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just saw the number "4" "doom" and "vr" in your post and gort all excited :(

btw oh man does the difficulty level of serious sam ramp up towards the end. I'm in that walled canyon thing with hordes of kleer coming at me and a spike pit blocking my retreat and I just might be straight up not bad rear end enough to kill these daggone aliens

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Phuzun posted:

Wonder is Zennimax will hold id traditions and release the source code, to allow a true VR mod. Sure would be great to rip and tear with controllers.

Serious Sam interests me, though $40 for the same game I've bought 2x so far, does not.

Pretty sure you get a discount if you own the original. I don't blame you though if you paid full price. I will say though, that if you can stomach the movement (and you need an iron VR stomach for it) it's incredibly fun and worth paying the early adopter price.

Though it may be worth waiting for SS2 VR, as it'll probably be $40 also and it's a much longer game.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Both my controllers had that issue and it was a three hour conversation with tech support for EACH before they'd let me send in. Let me know if your experience is any better because I am having the issue again and am dreading going through the process again.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
VR best of (ignoring 'value')

-Space Pirate Trainer
-Tilt Brush
-Arizona Sunshine
-Climbey
-Serious Sam TFE
-Superhot
-Raw Data

there's lots of other stuff but it tends to be less well realized or have a more niche appeal. Those 7 are full featured titles with developed mechanics and levels etc, and will entertain for hours upon hours.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
does it get rid of the stupid joystick rotation feature? that's pretty useless in a 360 format and it really doesn't work well with the vive touchpad.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

Is sound boxing better than audio shield?

I just bought soundboxing and have like 30 hrs in audioshield will report back

edit: also, bullet sorrow is really really cool, and in 10 days is doubling the levels (taking it to prob about 3 hours of very polished roomscale time crisis type gameplay) and raising the price, so get it while the getting is good.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 4, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My opinion on soundboxing basically echoes the guy above. It was a ton, a TON of fun. The 'popular' songs are all anime stuff as has been mentioned, but once you go a few screens deep or go into the specific genres, there's a lot of other good stuff. You're not going to be able to put on an hour long mix or whatever and groove out like you can with Audioshield, but that's really a small price to pay. The actual gameplay is just a ton of fun and all the beatmaps I tried were a blast. It really has that quality that games like Rockband have where you're maybe not a huge fan of the song but the gameplay makes you like it regardless.

I still am a big fan of Audioshield, and think the beats match up in it a lot better than some claim, but you just can't beat a well put together beatmap. And at less than 9 bucks canadian there's really no reason not to just have both.

And yes, Shake It Off is a lot of fun in Soundboxing. A lot of fun.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I also grabbed some other new stuff yesterday:

Serious Sam Second Encounter: if you own the other two SS games in VR you should get this, the bundle discount makes it $24 CDN. Graphics are much better than 1st E, with some pretty godrays and vegetation and stuff. Levels are a lot longer too - first level took 16 mins, compared to an average of like 4-5 mins for 1st encounter. Would consider a must buy so far if you can handle the locomotion.

poo poo gotta run but I also got soundstage vr and lyra vr if anyone wants an opinion on those from someone with no music production experience.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bhodi posted:

154 titles on sale, that's quite the number! I've never heard of most of them; I guess VR has shovelware now.

Steam lets you bypass greenlight if you are VR so it's actually like 95% shovelware.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Glagha posted:

For reasons unknown my second day playing serious sam VR was a lot more intense than my first. Just like, the giant gorilla eyeball men tended to startle me when they got too close or snuck up behind me. I had to stop after a few minutes just because I was a little too jumpy.

the giant oumpkin head chainsaw dudes really freak me out when they pop up behind

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

8one6 posted:

Then make your own beatmaps for the music you like. It's shockingly easy to do. The first few songs I mapped suck a bit because I didn't think about what they would play like but I'm fixing that going forward.
Hell, make some song suggestions. If I like them I'd be willing to make some beatmaps for you.

please do my favourite audiosurf/audioshield song 'atlantis to interzone' by the klaxxons

edit: there's one song that's just amazing amazing, rockabye ft sean paul, whoever made that is a genius. you need to dance like you're actually rocking out to some hard beats, shake your booty, etc. I've never finished it and not been literally DRENCHED in sweat and panting like I just ran a sprint. theres all these parts that are pretty low and I guess you could just crouch or get on your knees but its way better and more fun to kind of half bend your legs and lean back for the entire bit. its tough but fun.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 13, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

For real. Amazon often pays for my shipping to return things. Nintendo paid for two day shipping to get it to them, and then paid for overnight to get my Switch back to me. If HTC has to skimp on shipping RMAs, they might be in big trouble.

I love the vive and their approach to software etc but I would probably buy oculus going forward because the build quality and support seem to be so much better. I've had to send in two controllers (shipping paid for by me), had to pay import fees on the return also, and they are looking like they'll need to get sent in again. And I just know I'm going to ruin the headset with sweat one of these days .

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

8one6 posted:

Here you go.
That only took half an hour (and now I have some practice with the edit function on the beat mapper.)

There are 2,366 beats in this one so have fun and I'm sorry if it sucks. I'm still relatively new at this.

Hot off the beat grill! (Beat grill? Beat press maybe? Would beat box work better?)
Again I'm not as familiar with the song so I tried to edit out the rougher transitions.

If you both can let me know what you think. Comments, complaints, suggestions, curses upon my house, I'm open to feed back.

EDIT:

:flashfap::flashfap::flashfap:

Will check it out when I'm doing some VR tomorrow morning. Also my friends and I made some bad beatmaps last night if anyone wants to try them out http://steamcommunity.com/id/torontowalrus/ https://www.soundboxing.co/user/steam/76561197983544073

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 15, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
soundboxing goons should post their steamids or soundboxing profiles so we can play each others favourited songs and created beatmaps. mines just upthread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

People seem willing to look past that he's a liar, paid money to troll the internet, and is an overall shitlord.

he also donated 100k right to the campaign via chrono trigger related shell companies. i posted about this on reddit and the thread got downvoted into oblivion after 100 comments of arguing, some people don't know comedy when they see it I guess