Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I've been upgrading my pc with the idea of eventually biting the bullet and getting a Vive. I've put together a core i7-6700 machine with 16gigs of ram and a nice beefy SSD, and now I'm eyeing what video card I should be working towards. Will a gtx 1060 or maybe 1070 cut it for me? If I blow my bankroll too hard on a card, it's gonna be quite awhile until I can get the VR setup to use with it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Thanks guys! I'll probably go with the 6gb 1060 in the interest of not overdoing it

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

My coworker brought his Vive setup into the office this week and has been letting everyone take a spin, and I think I'm pretty set on picking one up now. Space Pirate Trainer is pretty sweet. PipeJob is amazing(ly gross but addicting).

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I've been using the cloth VR Covers with my Vive, and I like them a lot. They're comfy, absorbent (not in a gross feeling way like the stock foam), washable, and come with 2 per pack. The only negative I have is that they're a little fumbly to put on (they have tabs that you have to tuck between the foam pad and the velcro).

HTC Vive VR Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZZ3M8B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_93L2ybADE97AR

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

App13 posted:

Good lord in heaven the vive head strap is awful. The vive gets about 2 hours of use a day between my roommate and I and the back strap is just completely worn out at this point. Thing barely grips my head at all now.

Any good DIY solutions until the deluxe audio strap comes out?

I did the "welding mask mod" for mine. If you have access to a 3d printer, I highly recommend trying it out. The headgear (I got this one: Headgear, For Helmet Headgear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00826AM7A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Jb55yb8KXQY1B ) makes a world of difference in terms of comfort, ease of adjustment, and simplicity in taking the hmd on/off. The whole "mod" just consists of snipping the frontmost strap off of the welding headgear and snapping on the two 3d printed clips (I used these, which don't even require any hardware to hold together: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2038745 ). Took less than 5 minutes to put the whole thing together.
I was chomping at the bit for the new audio strap to come out, but I'm so happy with this mid that I'm now perfectly good waiting until some reviews come out before throwing money at it.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

My top 5 at the moment:

Superhot - just awesome

Soundboxing - easy to end up playing for an hour without even realizing it (but you'll feel it later)

Compound - stupid fun and pretty hard. I keep finding myself rolling on the floor while playing

Thumper - I almost didn't even bother with it because it's seated and doesn't have motion controls. Glad I gave it a shot because it's loving amazing.

GORN - Total stupid fun. I can't wait for it to get ironed out a little out (mostly the interface/in between fight stuff - the battling is already almost perfect). I dream of having a big enough space to run around in the whole arena in room scale without using artificial locomotion.

Honorable mention:

Pipejob. It's juvenile gross as hell, but it's super unique and gets you moving. Hilarious to watch friends play too.

There are a ton of "experience" games too that are amazing but only good for a single playthrough. My first time playing Accounting and Waltz of the Wizard were incredible, and I'm totally jealous of people getting to play them for the first time.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Republicans posted:

Has anyone played much of The Golf Club VR? Cloudlands is neat but trying some real-rear end golf in VR also sounds neat.

I just picked up The Golf Club VR at the start of the sale. It's really well made, and a pretty intensely accurate simulation of real golf, which means I suck pretty bad at it. It uses only one Vive controller (in your dominant hand) which is really cool, as it lets you hold the controller more like a real golf club. The UI is really slick - the details are great. You physically pull clubs and balls out of your bag. You can throw your clubs and/or beat the poo poo out of your bag. You can hold a button to see the up and downswing path of your last shot in 3d. You look through the hole in the controller as a rangefinder. All you HUD stuff is on your watch. Also, there are like a billion courses.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I finally got around to playing Vanishing Realms a bit tonight (I bought it months ago) - pretty amazing! It seems like a pretty great VR Zelda-esque experience. I love that you have to actually find openings to attach when fighting the enemies, and there are plenty of pots to smash and loots to grab. I'm not sure how much I have left, but I sure hope it goes on a bit longer - I love it so far.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

PSA - If you haven't tried H3VR (Hotdogs Horseshoes & Hand grenades), it's amazing. I got it awhile ago and only tried one of the shooting ranges, thought it was only kinda neat, and shelved it. I recently decided to give it another whirl and dive into some of the other modes, and it's quickly become the killer app for me (I've pit in over 10 hours in just the past couple weeks, which is a TON for me).

The guns are pretty much all awesome - they're all set up as realistically as I've ever seen. Each one has it's own, accurate loading procedure, and you even slide on and set attachments manually.

M.E.A.T.S. mode is an awesome, multiple category shooting gallery with some really fun stuff - my favorites are the quick draws and the gunkata trainers. This mode has a whole currency/unlockable system too.

Gun-nasium is kinda like Climby with target shooting, where you pull yourself through the environment and push buttons and shoot targets.

Meat Grinder is a horror rogue-like that's pretty loving intense and well produced.

Wurstworld is the latest addition - a Westworld themed mode with puzzles, bandit hunting, extreme horseshoes, and lots of secrets to find; this mode honestly could be a standalone game and be worth the package price.

That's not even half of the modes. Buy this game.

edit - I forgot to even mention hand grenade skeeball!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Buca di Bepis posted:

Nope :(

I went through and updated all the drivers I could and ran the system as stripped down as I could make it. I still get stuttering ingame. Not a constant stutter, but a small skip that happens every second or two as I'm moving my head. I don't see any issues with moving the controllers around so it can't be a tracking issue, I guess.

Did you double check the wires going into the hmd are nice and tight? Are your lighthouses mounted really solidly?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

moosecow333 posted:

I also am in love with H3VR. I really hope the dev includes more WW2 guns than just the Luger.

I think he's said that the next major update is going to be a big WW2 themed mode along the lines of Wurstworld, so I think you're going to get your wish.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

^ same.

I was fine with it myself, but readjusting it for friends and family to try was awful. And even though I thought it was ok before, the DAS is still twice as comfy and way quicker to put on/take off. It should really be the standard pack in from now on.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

BMan posted:

I made a new design for a stockless Vive gun controller: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2558333

If this interests you, you can print one on most any 3D printer. Or hire someone on 3D hubs, which should cost about :10bux:

Printed one of these out and gave it a quick test last night in H3VR - it's awesome!

I love how minimal it is; I couldn't even tell it was there when I was in VR and felt really natural on the assault rifles and even the smgs with grips. I'm afraid to try the shotguns though; I'm worried I'm going to forget it's there and accidentally snap the thing in half on a pump action or breach loader.

It really improved the aiming and feel/immersion overall though - thanks a bunch for making and sharing it!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

re: the nausea issue - I equate it to trying a new food. If I try something that’s too bland or spicy or whatever for my taste, I’m still likely to try it again sometime. If I try something that makes me feel like I’m going to puke, I’m staying the gently caress away from it.

I totally support options and choice, but it amazes me that there’s so much hate for teleportation in vr. Sure, it’s not gonna be the most delicious dish possible to everyone, but it’s also not gonna make anyone sick.

I’ve had a Vive for almost a year now, and there are still lots of full locomotion games that make me feel ‘off’, and when I don’t have a ton of time to play to begin with, I tend to go for the more comfortable option. If teleport was never a thing, there’s no way I would have gotten a Vive (unless maybe if there were a lot more compelling room-scale games available).

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Has anyone grabbed any VR stuff during the Steam Halloween sale?

I picked up “ZomDay” during the sale on a reco - really good for the sale price (7.50) - nice graphics, tons of weapons, persistent upgrade system. There’s a little bit of translation goofiness in the text, but it’s a fun shooty zombie game with a pretty nice look and feel.

I picked up a couple others (Serious Sam:Last Hope and Duck Season), but I haven’t had a chance to try them yet. I also downloaded a VR fan remake of Five Nights at Freddy’s (called Vive Nights at Freddy’s) that I need to muster up the courage to try as well, and I’m excited to try out the H3VR Halloween update/mode that just dropped.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

If it makes any difference, I've heard from a few people that their glasses fit better inside the Vive than the Rift, which led them to get a Vive instead. This was before the Rift dropped their price though - it would probably be more economical to go with one of those third-party retrofit glasses solutions listed above nowadays.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Finally got around to playing through the first world in Serious Sam: The Final Hope.

Really fun game! Yes, it’s a wave shooter, but it’s also a really well polished wave shooter with tons of action and adrenaline. I already wanna go back and play through the first world again just to see if I can do better and to unlock more guns and stuff.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Serious Sam VR The Last Hope is really good. It’s like climbing inside one of those old arcade shooters. My trigger fingers are on fire.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

What are the best demo games out right? Other than Superhot and Gorn. Right now its those, tilt brush, and the lab (archery and slingshot) as my goto demo experiences but I wouldnt mind replacing one of those in the rotation.

Richie's Plank Experience is great for demos (and nothing else really). Compound can be really good (maybe a little hard for first-timers though). Job Simulator has pretty universal appeal and is very easy to pick up and play. Pipejob is loving hilarious and disgusting to watch people play.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I just finished Scanner Sombre. What an awesome experience - really unique game that’s totally unlike anything I’ve ever played. The visuals are perfect for VR, the sound design is totally on point, and it felt like just the right length (just under 2 hours for me). The controls were a little touchy at points, but overall I loved it.

I never thought I’d enjoy a walking simulator type game, but this in VR was pretty incredible.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

NRVNQSR posted:

I really hated the movement in VR even though I'm usually more than fine with teleportation; I felt like every time it moved me I completely lost all orientation, partly because it didn't seem to give me any control over how far I moved. Are there some options or mods that I missed that offer other methods?

Something that they don’t really explain is that the movement is basically one step at a time (or jump if you’re clearing a gap). I didn’t even realize until 2/3 of the way through that I could hold down the movement button to keep walking. Getting it through my head that it’s not supposed to be a teleport really helped me enjoy the game more.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Does Lone Echo play well on the Vive through ReVive? I’m thinking of grabbing it while it’s on sale.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I got my Vive back before the Rift had motion controls, so it was a no-brainer. I love my Vive (especially once I got the new strap, which was honestly a game-changer for me), and I personally think the Vive feels a little more solid than the Rift, and I think the lighthouse system is the better tracking solution - particularly since I don’t want a bunch of extra cables running back to my computer.

All that said, I would go Rift in a heartbeat at the current prices and with the current offerings (like free Robo Recall, which I really want to play but can’t seem to bring myself to purchase since it’s free for most people and therefore will never be on sale).

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I played a little bit of Iron Wolf VR last night after grabbing it during the winter sale. Really cool game! I love how there are so many interactive elements. There's really something awesome about grabbing the periscope and physically spinning around with it to find a target.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I've been working through my backlog lately, and have been having a blast for the most part! I was pleasantly surprised by a few games I didn't expect a ton from:

GORN has gotten so many updates since I first played it that it's like a whole new game. Awesomely fun, and at the same time very nerve-wracking in regards to trying not to destroy my house while playing.

IronWolf VR seems pretty great. I've only done the first couple missions, but the immersion and interactivity are pretty awesome - I hope the later missions ramp up the pace a bit and I'd love to try multiplayer.

Flappy Arms I got for free. Not a very engaging (or good) game, but I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't make me sick, which I was almost sure it was gonna do after watching the preview video.

King Kaiju - I wanted to like this game at least a little bit, but the lack of stuff to do besides grab and throw makes it pretty lovely. I felt like I was awkwardly bending down constantly, and having no fun while doing so. If it had feet tracking or something maybe it would be better?

Fruit Ninja VR Surprisingly polished! Nice graphics and simple but fun gameplay. It's pretty much only front facing, but honestly I think it would be way worse and frustrating if it was full 360. No regrets getting this one on sale - it'll definitely go into my "demo for people new to VR" rotation.

Old Friend A cartoony 360 music video - pretty nifty as a one-off experience. No interaction at all besides dancing around with VR noodle arms, but a neat time nonetheless. Another one that I'll be adding to my demo rotation.

Stand Out I don't know about this one. Seems like full-on jank city; terrible graphics (not just resolution, but super sloppy models in general), janky gameplay. I didn't see anywhere to switch to Vive wand layout for the controls, so I didn't have a good grasp on how to do stuff. Quickly found and loaded a gun, fumbled around trying to get it to fire, and got shot in the face and killed while some extremely low poly player screamed "loving bitch" in my face.

Form Beautiful and well polished experience - like playing "The Room" puzzle box game in VR. It's short - under an hour - but totally worth it. I really wish they expanded it out into a longer experience!

Rez Infinite Very cool version of Rez. I don't love the controls for the classic levels - they basically use the controller as a mouse, but they are still pretty fun. The made-for-VR level (Area X) is pretty amazing, as it gives you more direct motion aiming, and takes you off the rails and lets you fly around freely. It left me a little wobbly by the end of it from soaring around in 3d, but was totally worth it.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Blasters of the Universe is on sale on Steam right now for $5.

It’s really good! Similar to Space Pirate Trainer but crossed with an 80’s vibe, and more personality, weapon/shield customization.

Also, it’s a bullet-hell style shooter, so dodging incoming fire feels really cool; especially pushing your face through the center of rings of projectiles. Highly recommended! After playing it, I can say I would have been happy with it at full price - at $5 it’s a steal!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Truga posted:

I own a vive and am having zero issues with the controllers. :shrug:

Same. I’ve never used Rift controllers, but I’ve never had any complaints with my Vive controllers, other than not being totally happy with the touchpad when it’s used as 4 separate buttons (which isn’t very common). The only games they don’t seem to work as well for are the Oculus exclusives through Revive, and those are usually fine after a little tinkering with the Revive settings too.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

A friend of mine at work brought in his Vive and demoed it my office about a year ago, leading to me buying one shortly after. Fast forward to this week - we both brought in and set up our Vive setups side by side and did demos for our coworkers. We did 15-20 minute sessions for somewhere around 70 different people, plus some repeat customers, over the course of 3 days. Almost everyone 'got it' pretty quickly. We had a printed 'menu' of 10 different games/experiences for people to choose from.

Almost everyone did (and enjoyed) Richie's Plank Experience as their first taste of VR. All but a few people walked out on the plank. Most who did also grabbed cake/donuts. About 10% voluntarily stepped off (and a couple fell off unintentionally).

Most of the people did The Lab Longbow or Space Pirate Trainer as well, and everyone took to the mechanics really quickly - even the weapon switching in SPT, which surprised me, since many of the people were not gamers.

The 3rd most demoed game (if you combine Longbow and SPT into one "shooter' catagory at least) was Job Simulator, and probably 90% of people chose the Chef job. Almost everyone who tried it loved it, and did several of the tasks (and many people wanted to keep going past their time slots to do more).

Surprisingly few people were interested in Tilt Brush, and only a handful did Audio Shield or Soundboxing. A few of the more gamerly people tried Budget Cuts Demo and loved it, though only a couple got all the way through (some came back to try again when there was a free timeslot).

Overall the "VR Demo Days" went great - everyone enjoyed it, noone got hurt, and no equipment was damaged! I'm very glad we put waterproof sport covers on the headsets - it made wiping them down between demos super quick and easy, and spared people from sharing makeup and face grossness. I think the highlight for me was doing a PipeJob faceoff with a coworker (We both started at the same level at the same time on the two separate rigs - last man standing rules) in full view of a huge 25 person meeting. Good thing I work for a laid back fun-minded company!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I, too, am curious if you’ve actually played Soundboxing. It admittedly looks really dumb in videos, but it’s actually really drat fun in practice.

I did bounce off Holodance hard enough to refund it though. I’m hoping Beatsaber is better.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

El Grillo posted:

That sounds cool. One of the things that I think made Dead & Buried feel so immersive for me at Rift launch was the need to physically use your space to duck under cover etc.
Pavlov has a similar thing on the Bridge map, but it's Pavlov so it feels more designed for fast shooter gameplay than immersion I guess. Because you were in fixed positions in Dead & Buried, you really got the feeling of being under fire behind cover as the other side are just concentrating fire and grenades on your position.

If you want a wave shooter that makes you bob and weave around like crazy, check out Blasters of the Universe. It's basically a wave shooter bullet hell, where you are frequently weaving your head in and around patterns of enemy fire. I got to a boss where I had to lay on the ground to avoid fire for one of the attacks, which was awesome. There's a ton of weapon customization too to add some extra depth.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

OK SkyrimVR is kinda phenomenal. With a few setting tweaks it looks pretty great, it runs like butter, and (at least for weak-stomach teleporters like me) it solves the biggest gripe I had about the original: you can easily traverse slopes and rubble and stuff by sweeping the teleport target around and finding safe spots to warp to. No more randomly slamming against invisible walls, sliding backwards down gentle slopes, and jumping up and down in place!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

If you like VR archery as well as roguelikes, In Death is really good. It looks nice and the teleportation mechanic is pretty unique and cool. Burns up the arms and shoulders pretty good tho.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Gerdalti posted:

Cool, I've already picked up all of those, so I seem to be on the right track.

A few more good ones currently on sale:

Arizona Sunshine - Zombie shooter/adventure game (NOT a wave shooter)
In Death - Roguelike archery game with really cool/unique teleport mechanic
Vanishing Realms - Nice looking/playing RPG/Adventure game
Knockout League - Basically VR Super Punchout
Iron Wolf - Awesome submarine simulator; great use of roomscale
Blasters of the Universe - Bullet Hell wave shooter with great progression/unlock system - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

So I've been tasked at work with putting together a use case/demo using VR to review 3d product models. I've been a Vive owner for over a year now, but I've been a bit out of the loop on what's been going on with all the other headsets, and I'd love some info/feedback on the following if anyone could spare a minute:

Where is VR tech at in terms of the more self-contained setups? From what I understand, the Oculus Go is self contained but without controller tracking? And the Quest is going to have tracked controllers, but is a ways out still? And WMR headsets are self-tracking, but still fully tethered to a computer, right?

What's the best 3d model viewer available now? I've imported uncolored STL/OBJ models into Tilt Brush - are there better alternatives out there? Anything that supports animation or manipulation, or is that something I'd have to do per-model in Unity or something?

Ideally there would be a way to load in our product models and bring or ship the VR setup to a client, and have them be able to view the models, virtually pick them up and turn them, possibly manipulate stuff on them. Seated would be totally fine (probably preferred). Is there anything already out there that already checks some of these boxes??