Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

homeless snail posted:

Windlands is fun if you aren't prone to motion sickness

I've been on the fence about buying Windlands, I enjoyed exploring the environment in the old DK2 demo but I want more out of an actual game. Is there more to the actual game than just aimlessly wandering a huge environment with grappling hooks? The description for the game mentions, "goal driven gameplay", but nothing about what that means. Is that just referring to speed runs/time trials, or is there actually anything to do?

I've been thinking about it because it's on sale for the next day:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/windlands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

homeless snail posted:

No that's the entire game. I'm not really sure what goals they're referring to, maybe speed runs, maybe collectibles, idk.

Ah, that's disappointing. I really like the swinging mechanics, would love to see something using it in service of actual gameplay. Need my VR Spiderman game.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

FuzzySlippers posted:

I was thinking that anything that supports stereoscopic 3D could potentially be in VR on a giant 3D screen right? Anything do that? That might be kinda cool.

Vorpx allows you to play any game on a giant screen and can even convert games into 3d. I used it to play GTA V and it was pretty awesome, although the TV is too big and they don't let you back up far enough to keep it from filling almost the entirety of your vision. I had to set it is as small and far back as I could and then physically move my chair further back in my room to make it less vomit inducing. Doing that is kinda funny though, you end up looking over a couch with a headless body on it to see the screen.

That made it pretty good as far as motion sickness, although I still could not take riding the jet ski over a bunch of waves without having to rip my headset off.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Helter Skelter posted:

For those who haven't been checking their inbox constantly, tracking numbers are going out for Touch, with delivery on the 6th.

I got my shipping notification, however, they're not sending the extra sensor I ordered! The sensor has an estimated shipping date of December 13-20. Great.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

So I got the code for VR Sports Challenge and The Unspoken, but how do I get the other 6 pieces of free software?

Medium, Dead and Buried, and all the other stuff I heard was going to be free are all showing with price tags in the Oculus store.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Pryce posted:

Activate Touch controllers and they'll be added to your library.

Thanks.

It's a little annoying that they make it impossible for me to download them while I wait for delivery today.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I have played a lot of VR over the past few years and Superhot is the coolest experience I've had. I played it for an hour last night and I was grinning the entire time.

Seriously, everyone needs to play it right now. I had seen footage of it, and thought it would be neat, but it way exceeded my expectations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I just played a few rounds of Dead and Buried and I can't believe Oculus picked it as a pack in title, it's terrible. All you do is stand in place and shoot at each other, and you're often spawned into a place with no cover, or directly in front of the person who just murdered you but with your back to them. I also experienced multiple points where I was supposed to open a door that was outside of my play area.

The voice chat was filled with people taking about how terrible the game is.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I think they were called shootout and bank robbery. The spawning with the back to the enemy didn't actually happen to me (would be hard to be sure of it), but I witnessed it happen to people I killed (and then generally killed again).

The cover thing and having things outside of your play area probably happens less the more tracked space you have. Still waiting on my 3rd camera to get some decent room scale.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I was looking through the Oculus winter sale and noticed Minecraft is free:
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/741306562635466/

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

coolskillrex remix posted:

The problem is in games like space pirate trainer the vive tracking system can track your headset/controllers so well that you can really do some cool stuff, and i dont think the rift has the same level of "body" tracking (space pirate i literally have kneeled down then bent over backwards, not sure if the rift would accurately track that)

Yeah, it would track that.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I threw a New Year's Eve party last night that had karaoke and two VR rooms, one with a Vive and one with a Rift and Touch. We played a bunch of co-op Arizona Sunshine doing LAN play with one copy and that was really awesome. Then I put some people through Unseen Diplomacy and that blew their minds. Then I loaded up Gorn and literally the first person to play destroyed my controller within 30 seconds.

I was lucky enough to capture this amazing video of it being destroyed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViEqsA_jilc

Thankfully I think it's salvageable, it appears to have just disconnected two ZIF connectors and broken a little plastic.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Fooz posted:

Demoing VR is like 50% great fun and 50% silent "please don't be an idiot with my expensive stuff..." thoughts.

The biggest headache doing it at a party is convincing drunk people that they can't congregate in the large empty space behind the person in VR. I'm surprised the controller's destruction didn't involve someone walking into the play area and getting punched in the head.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I posted a video earlier in the thread where a friend of mine broke my controller in two playing Gorn. I attempted to repair the controller by reconnecting the cables into the ZIF connectors, unfortunately I accidentally snapped the little clasp on one of the ZIF connectors.

Does anyone know how to fix one of those? I searched and could find nothing about it, I wedged it in place and taped it down but I now lose tracking every few minutes.

Side note, HTC is really bending their customers over a barrel on replacement parts. I assumed the controller would be like $80-$100 but it's $130 and the only shipping option is $30.

$160 for one controller is ridiculous.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

jonathan posted:

So the rift comes with a single tracking camera allowing me to move and tilt my head as well as rotation, correct ?

I wish the drat vive wasn't $1200 in Canada.

If I knew I liked the VIVE I'd likely get it, but I have no way of testing either system without a purchase. I'd be the only one in my city. Wasting $500 on a very possible puke simulator is much easier to swallow (haha) than $1200.

If you're just using the headset one camera can cover movement across an entire room because the headset has LEDs on the strap too. I was very impressed by the single camera performance when the rift first came out (now I have 3 for touch).

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I want to believe people are trolling, and not actually this dumb.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Valve confirmed the leaked page's details.
https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index-vr-headset-leaked-steam-page-release-date/

More details on May 1. Shipping in June. The information on the leaked page was accurate but "not comprehensive".

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Hadlock posted:

so Oculus has developed their own Leap Motion technology internally

Interesting to say the least. Market value of leap motion just dropped by half or more. I think their whole strategy was to get aqui-hired by valve, htc or Oculus, looks like Oculus is out now...

Oculus bought multiple hand tracking companies:
https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/16/8977295/oculus-acquire-pebbles-interfaces-hand-tracking-virtual-reality

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

What I really want to see is using those cameras for body tracking. Even just shoulder/elbow/torso tracking would add a lot to immersion and open up a lot of development possibilities.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Isometric Bacon posted:

You already gave a couple examples, but I'm curious to any more examples of things worth trying on Viveport.

I got a free trial code with the vive pro, but have been holding off redeeming it until I find something interesting to run.

They have like 600 games, but it's almost entirely shovelware. I spent a while digging and the only other game I noticed that interested me was Windlands 2.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Fun but bad VR does have a real danger of poisoning the well. The issue is you'll want to stay in it for a long time, doing so is likely to make you nauseous, but it's so fun you try to push past the nausea.

It happened to me with the DK1, and for months just the thought of VR made me immediately, wildly nauseous.

I'm still a big fan of VR, and have bought way too many VR sets, but I could definitely understand people who try bad VR and then refuse to risk going through that again.

That said, I don't think it's a huge risk with Nintendo. They purposely made the Labo VR so that you have to hold it up with your hands; this really slows down the rate at which you can turn your head and severely reduces the rates of nausea. It also limits the amount of time you spend in it, since it's not very comfortable and your arms get tired.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Taintrunner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcCAlmYDpHE

Stay to the end for maximum cruelty against poor little spider robots

I have been underwhelmed by previous SLZ stuff, but I really like the mechanics shown here. It's nice to see someone combining all the best VR features into one coherent experience. I actually wrote up some plans pretty similar to this, but I knew it was way too ambitious for me as a solo developer.

Hopefully the story and gameplay hold up to the promise.

Also, this really makes me want HL2VR working again. I played it with a DK2 and a Razer Hydra like 3 years ago, and it's still one of my top experiences.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Quest being wireless is pretty neat too. No cable tugging to throw you off.

It will also be dramatically easier to find a big space to use it in. Computers are rarely in the biggest room of the house.

What I really want from Quest is for developers to make games that use redirected walking. It is the first practical VR platform for taking out onto a football field or basketball court and allowing you to naturally locomote endlessly through a VR world.

Just imagine playing an RPG that you naturally walk through, and never hit a guardian boundary. Even with simple graphics it could be cooler than anything on PC.

If Oculus built it into the SDK, so that if you set up a large enough guardian boundary it would automatically use redirected walking to prevent you from reaching the edges, it could just work automatically for every game.

EDIT: I'm not sure whether the quest working outdoors is confirmed. There might need to be a roof over you or walls close enough to allow the tracking system to work properly. They have shown it tracking in large spaces before, but they were indoors with a lot of known objects. But god, if it does work outdoors and in large spaces it could be really amazing.

TIP fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 9, 2019

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zero VGS posted:

WMR headsets already work pretty well outdoors as long as there's no direct sunlight and there's enough visual markers (you can't be standing in a plain field or surrounded by uniform bushes with nothing on the horizon). The Quest having two downward facing cameras probably helps greatly as well, but I'm guessing Oculus isn't allowing devs to advertise outdoors play, on account stuff like kids getting hit by car, direct sun burning holes in screens, rain damage and so on. You can bet I'll be trying it regardless.

Yeah, I don't actually expect Oculus to seize the opportunity, as it's somewhat niche and they already have an incredibly viable product without it. But that possibility is the most exciting part of the quest to me.

I really hope that there at least some cool redirected walking experiments I can side load onto it.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

That is drat impressive for mobile VR. There are plenty of PC VR games that don't look that good.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Warbird posted:

That reminds me, are there any bespoke headset storage solutions out there? I know the mannequin head route, but I'd be curious if some enterprising soul had some etsy solution on sale.

I used a vintage gumball machine for a while and it worked really well. I don't have pictures, but it was one like this:

Headset fit well on it, and it was convenient to have it freestanding and off my desk.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The problem with smell-o-vision is that we've found no base units of smell, so you can't just have 8 smells and mix them in different combinations to recreate all smells. Instead you have to have a different compound for every single smell possible.

That feel real thing advertises that it does hundreds of smells, but there is a big asterisk, which is that you have to buy the smells separately and you can only load a few smells into the device at a time.

I do think that VR is just about the only place where smell-o-vision is a good idea, if you could do it really well it would massively up the immersion.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

rage-saq posted:

gently caress that.
I am not getting into shady rear end companies selling shady rear end “smells” that are not tested and may give me cancer. Popcorn lung is real and comes from a chemical called diacetyl that is commonly created by organisms like yeast and I am not going to subject myself into being some idiots guinea pig for a million random chemicals.
It’s also really gross and not going to be used at the levels necessary.
Maybe I can interest you in a peripheral aimed at providing the ultimate in immersion technology, an isolation tank:

My point was that it's dumb and pretty much impossible to do a good job with a bunch of chemicals.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Lemming posted:

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWfcMwMzfag

I can't help but feel like it's going to be massively forgettable. Maybe that's just my bias against single player games though. Like it looks like it's mostly going to be scripted and super light and straightforward on gameplay.

Yeah, it's kinda hard to say with that trailer but I could easily see this being like that lovely "The Martian Experience". Just a series of no-gameplay tasks, like, stand in one place and swing a light saber around to deflect laser blasts until the next scene change is triggered. Still can't believe they charged $20 for that Martian thing, it's a twenty minute long commercial for the movie.

Crappy, pointless VR stuff is the new VCR games/FMV games.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

homeless snail posted:

I mean, The Void exists right now, its not like shared-space VR is science fiction. You definitely gotta make sure everyone is in the same tracking space though

Nope, most indie devs can't make a large scale multiplayer VR game with realistic, networked physics, so the whole thing is impossible for at least twenty years. Checkmate.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I got her to put on a rift and because of the placement of the lenses in the HMD she was able to look around and see distant things for the first time in a very long time tonight! :3:

what games do I get her to play? is there a good 3d photo viewer thing so she can actually see family photos?

e: I use the term games loosely, she's a sixty something grandma who has never played video games. she liked theBlu

It's probably been decades since she horribly mutilated someone.

Songbearer posted:

Put together a new Blade & Sorcery video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_MqpPgos5c

Decapitations & amputations are rare and difficult to do but goddamn how much fun are they when you pull it off (very)

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zero VGS posted:

He's right, it is the best looking headset. Did he mention it costs $5,500?

edit: he does, at the 18:20 mark lol

edit 2: OK, I'm a little jelly, he's loving around with not only a $5,500 headset, but he also is wielding a pair of EV3 Knuckles somehow without being a dev.

The fact that the thing weighs almost 3 pounds (1210 grams) removes almost all my desire for it. I wouldn't mind taking a peek through it to see the future of VR, but drat, that is too heavy.

For comparison the Rift is 470 grams, Vive is 555 grams, and the Pimax 8k is 530 grams.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Brie Larson is playing Beat Saber in Jimmy Fallon, that’s pretty huge

And I thought he smelled bad on the outside!

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Cojawfee posted:

I wonder if it would be possible for software to take whatever model a headset has made of a space and then use that to figure out where another camera is for filming people in VR like with putting a tracking puck on a camera and using a green screen. If the camera doesn't move, and nothing else in the room moves, it could be like a green screen and just remove everything it knows is from the static image and then put anything else on top of the in game view. Probably more work than it's worth though.

You can do this with pre-recorded video in After Effects, and even with careful tweaking of the settings and a perfect setup it works terribly. The reason is that every pixel changes every frame, even in the best case scenario there is going to be visual noise in the recording. Also, no guarantees that parts of you aren't the same color as parts of the background you're moving over.

It's not an unsolvable problem though, there are currently some really promising AI-based approaches to automatic background removal.

If you have white walls or a black backdrop you could do a luminance based key in real time very easily. Also, if your camera is static you could just set your virtual camera position by using your controller (like put your controller right in front of the lens and click the trigger).

TIP fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 3, 2019

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Cojawfee posted:

I read somewhere that best buy is quest, Microsoft is rift s.

I bet every WMR manufacturer loving hates Microsoft right now (except Lenovo lol). Microsoft prevents them from doing anything to improve the tracking on their headsets and then starts demoing and selling a super cheap headset that's basically a WMR with better tracking and better hand controllers.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Oculus Quest Won’t Have Viveport Infinity, the Netflix for VR

I laughed really hard at that headline.

Yes, it's just like Netflix for VR, except that no one uses it and it has like 2 pieces of content worth checking out.

How much is HTC paying Variety to describe it as a "key service" for VR?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tom Guycot posted:

I dunno, the impression I got from him in that review was more the audio disappointed him and as an enthusiast who already has a full roomscale set up, he didn't really think he'd upgrade, which is kind of where I am. Some official clip on audio drivers and I'd jump in, but right now I don't care enough to pay money and deal with earbuds.

This is basically how I've been feeling about the S. I really can't believe that after nailing the audio experience on the Rift they went for lovely sound pipes on both of their new headsets. It's the biggest gently caress you of the S.

Someone told me about some PSVR headphones that mimic the Rift's, and now I'm really hoping that the S headband is close enough to the PSVR's for these to work. https://www.amazon.com/Bionik-BNK-9007-Mantis-Headphone-Playstation/dp/B0735X5M4X?th=1&psc=1

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Ralith posted:

There are not 87 lighthouse sensors per device. There are 87 lighthouse sensors + buttons + touch sensors + finger tracking elements + force sensors + analog axes + IMU elements + ...

The controller does not require 87 lighthouse sensors. Go count the sensors on a Vive headset. 87 per hand would be ridiculous. 87 sensors is counting everything.

Straight from the index website:

https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/index/controllers posted:

Each controller uses 87 sensors to track hand position, finger position, motion, and pressure to determine user intent. All of these signals, combined with fine-tuned software and algorithms, give us a better understanding of how a player is holding and using the controllers.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

RandomBlue posted:

I think this was answered previously but you can't just get a Reverb and buy the Index controllers to use with it, can you?

I've got a Rift and the SDE and low resolution just kills it for me. Looks like Rift-S is only a minor upgrade in that regard and Index is another minor upgrade from there visually.

You can, but it's gonna be a hacked together system using third party software. Also, you'll need to buy two lighthouses, which are fairly expensive.

The reviews I've read for the Reverb don't sound that great, apparently the optics are kinda poo poo and the screen is blurry outside of the center.

I'd suggest that if you want the biggest upgrade to just go with the Index. I really think that the 130 degree FOV, great optics, and high refresh rate are going to add up to be a lot bigger of an upgrade than the Reverb.

I think you're also underestimating the difference in resolution between Vive/Rift and Index/Rift S. Both the Index and Rift S are using RGB stripe screens instead of pentile, which means a lot more resolution increase than the numbers would indicate.

TIP fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I had been considering getting the Rift S and fixing its lovely audio with Bionik Mantis PSVR headphones, but apparently their sound quality is kinda mediocre so now I'm thinking about getting the Koss Porta Pros and the 3d printed mount the dude from Tested made.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3615447
https://www.amazon.com/Koss-Porta-Pro-Black-Headphones/dp/B0755N6CSR

Supposedly these have the same headphone drivers as the Rift CV1.

Anyone have any experience with getting 3d printed goods? I tried clicking on "order this printed" on thingiverse to check out the prices, but it looks like they just push you to other services. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced/good quality service to get this printed from? And any idea of the approximate cost?