Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Where does the Lenovo Explorer fit in all this as far as quality goes? This is my first attempt at VR and I'm pretty happy with it, so I imagine basically any other device would feel like an upgrade?

Looks like Lenovo Explorer is an LCD headset with a similar resolution to the Rift S (actually slightly higher), so probably a pretty comparable display to the Rift S, somewhat worse than the Index. Also the Rift S is actually a partnership with Lenovo, so you'd probably find those headsets fairly similar.

The weaknesses of the WMR line are commonly held to be tracking and controllers, so if you upgraded to either you'd probably mostly notice improvements in those areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bremen posted:

Looks like Lenovo Explorer is an LCD headset with a similar resolution to the Rift S (actually slightly higher), so probably a pretty comparable display to the Rift S, somewhat worse than the Index. Also the Rift S is actually a partnership with Lenovo, so you'd probably find those headsets fairly similar.

The weaknesses of the WMR line are commonly held to be tracking and controllers, so if you upgraded to either you'd probably mostly notice improvements in those areas.

When you say "display" you just mean resolution. The optics are gonna be so much better on the S that visually I don't think it's gonna be close.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Bremen posted:

Hmmm, well I have no issues with tracking and the controllers appear to be the best motion controllers since they have thumbsticks. Certainly better than the Vive touchpads.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for the light stand suggestion, I'll look around for a pair in town today.

That being said, would you consider the Rift-S, when it comes out, to be in any way an upgrade over a Vive with deluxe audio strap? (Quite frankly I'm tempted mostly by how much I dislike the Vive controllers.)

Yea I got a pair of them for like $14 and the camera screw on ball mounts for the tops for like another $2 all on Amazon. Have served me really well.

As for the Rift S. Sure it probably would be being it is going to have an improved optics vs the OG Vive, Audio as others are saying is a mixed bag. The CV1's has been great, I even have the replacement earbuds for mine I have yet to use since I haven't really found a need to. Also while the Deluxe Audio Strap for the Vive is great for audio sort of, I can't say the audio from it is better than the Rift CV1's in any way. Doesn't seam as clear/crisp/bassy as the Rift's but it is definitely a upgrade for getting it on/off your head and resizing for other heads.

I'd say the upgrade path from the Vive is the Index, but if you are wanting to just leave all the Tracking stuff out of it, then yes the Rift S looks like the PC solution for that that supports both Oculus and SteamVR/WMR content. If you go with a WMR headset, well then you can somewhat hack Oculus onto it, but being not native, not everything works exactly as well. (I Was never able to get InDeath to work correctly with the Vive from the Oculus store, and had to get it on Steam to play wireless for instance).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Hmmm, well I have no issues with tracking and the controllers appear to be the best motion controllers since they have thumbsticks. Certainly better than the Vive touchpads.

The Oculus Touch controllers feel shitloads better than the WMRs, IMO.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some of the rift s reviews are not very serious, I read one where they basically said 'such and such feauture aren't bad, but they are better on Valve's Index'. Uhh yeah no poo poo, Index is more than twice as expensive, so I am not sure how is that useful information in a Rift S review.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ralith posted:

Just buy Knuckles.

Knuckles?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tip posted:

This is basically how I've been feeling about the S. I really can't believe that after nailing the audio experience on the Rift they went for lovely sound pipes on both of their new headsets. It's the biggest gently caress you of the S.

Someone told me about some PSVR headphones that mimic the Rift's, and now I'm really hoping that the S headband is close enough to the PSVR's for these to work. https://www.amazon.com/Bionik-BNK-9007-Mantis-Headphone-Playstation/dp/B0735X5M4X?th=1&psc=1

Lol, so apparently they work without any modification.

https://twitter.com/RealityCheckVR/status/1126314792543707136

Still an idiotic choice to not include better audio for a desktop set and I'm hoping they put out an official solution like those with better cable management and drivers.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Ciaphas posted:

Knuckles?

Valve Index Controllers

The devkit versions were called knuckles. Lighthouse 2.0 so fully backwards compatible with first gen and 2nd gen lighthouse VR kits. Tracks individual fingers so you can "let go" of the controller and flip people off. I'm not sure how many existing games support them already but there's been a few where the devs put out videos over the past year or so showing how they work and even if you don't have tracked hands ingame they should "just work" as a replacement for vive wands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcCAlmYDpHE

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Verizian posted:

Valve Index Controllers

The devkit versions were called knuckles. Lighthouse 2.0 so fully backwards compatible with first gen and 2nd gen lighthouse VR kits. Tracks individual fingers so you can "let go" of the controller and flip people off. I'm not sure how many existing games support them already but there's been a few where the devs put out videos over the past year or so showing how they work and even if you don't have tracked hands ingame they should "just work" as a replacement for vive wands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcCAlmYDpHE

They also cost $280 :cripes:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

They also cost $280 :cripes:

Well, they cost *you* $280. They cost Valve $2.80

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Are there many non-shooter coop VR games? Like stuff 2 people can play by themselves (not part of a larger online thing) and don't contain any shooting with firearms (bows, magic, etc okay).

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

FuzzySlippers posted:

Are there many non-shooter coop VR games? Like stuff 2 people can play by themselves (not part of a larger online thing) and don't contain any shooting with firearms (bows, magic, etc okay).

Windlands 2 is co-op and is mostly about swinging around and shooting a bow. Rec Room you can always do a private group, and do some stuff like the quests. Star Trek bridge crew you could do 2 player, and just have AI do the other 2, though, thats a less than optimal experience. Along those lines theres iron wolf which is basically bridge crew, but on an old sub. Minecraft I suppose counts, but might not be the kind of thing you mean. This is one I thought I'd never suggest, but that Marvel Powers VR game is co-op, not shooty (unless you pick a character that just has guns), with a ton of superheroes to play as? The No Man's Sky VR update might fit that bill if its kind of what you're thinking of? I'm not sure if you can play that privately though.

After that I start scratching my head at things that.... kiiiind of are a little less shootery? Like, From Other Suns you shoot and find guns, but you also have to control your ship, buy stuff, fight other space ships (its basically FTL), but you do shoot stuff on away missions. Its co-op though. Along those lines, maaaaaybe Stormlands, which is coming out this year and though it has guns, theres also other powers you have and its a lot of open world stuff thats co-op.

I dunno, take away shooters, bigger online games and VR co-op play gets a little slimmer. Best bet off the bat though I would suggest is looking at windlands 2.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Keep talking and nobody explodes?

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FuzzySlippers posted:

Climbey is a lot of fun as a co-op game. Easier to solve some of the more difficult custom maps when you have a helping hand.

snowshovelboy
Apr 13, 2006

FuzzySlippers posted:

I enjoy playing Cloudlands Mini Golf with my VR friends. I know its not technically co-op, but it has a co-op vibe.

snowshovelboy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 10, 2019

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So in Robo Recall you reach over your shoulder to grab a shotgun, does this still work with the Rift S? I don't know how it could, just curious because I want to buy one

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

FuzzySlippers posted:

IronWolf VR

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Over the shoulder grabs tend to be forgiving motions, even wmr headsets handle them without issue

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

So in Robo Recall you reach over your shoulder to grab a shotgun, does this still work with the Rift S? I don't know how it could, just curious because I want to buy one
It loses tracking when it goes over your shoulder, but it knows that it lost tracking there and can still dead reckon a little on gyros, so it should still be fine. That kinda stuff works on WMR also but WMRs take forever to reacquire your controller when you bring it back into view, so it feels awful, Rift S and Quest are supposed to acquire really quickly but idk. Its a big downside of self tracked systems

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah, it doesn't stop the second its out of range, the IMU carries it a bit, and for fast movements like that it should work just fine. Even if it does, it still know the buttons so if it was last back there, and you grab and pull forward it will snap once its in view of the cameras knowing you grabbed onto it while back there. At least thats how it all should work, and so far people seem really impressed how well it tracks in cases that are on the edge. Heck, it might not even be out of view. Unless you're reaching directly behind your head, the side cameras might still be seeing it right above your shoulder.

Anyways, that kind of motion, grabbing stuff from behind you really shouldn't present a problem. If you're curious though, go check out a demo when they start doing them.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
11 days till the rift-s arrives. Really wish Oculus had a good release game for that date on PC.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Thanks for the info guys, I'll order one next week I think :)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

FuzzySlippers posted:

For local co-op with one person in VR and one on the PC, there are several options:

Diner Duo VR
- VR player mans a burger grill station, screen player is the server.

Carly and the Reaperman
- Screen player plays a 3D platformer, VR player helps them by placing platforms and poo poo.

We Were Here
- VR and screen players are in separate rooms of a creepy mansion, and help each other solve puzzles based on separate hints and stuff they can see.

KillHour posted:

Keep talking and nobody explodes?

I made a dead-on-arrival thread about this game!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768528

It's still stupid amounts of fun, with or without VR.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Did they ever add content to Marvel Powers United VR, or is it still just 100% shooting waves of identical enemies with different skins on identical levels with different skins?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Some of those seem to fit the bill as I was meaning two people playing in VR.

Not sure whether to try to sell my Rift quickly before its worth even less money or try to have two HMDs for a while and see if me and the wife play some VR together. She also has a gaming pc but she despises guns and multiplayer with strangers and most of what I see people talk about in VR multiplayer are those kinda games. It seems like there's a fair sprinkling of games she might be into though. Are there any multiplayer escape the room things? Or if there was something like Portal 2 coop but VR we'd probably play it for months.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Don't hit key but Minecraft has a nice VR port

Flat Minecraft was always the favorite game for my gf and me, prolly real nice in VR for two people, too. Walk around & explore, build things.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Well, they cost *you* $280. They cost Valve $2.80

I know this was meant to be humorous, but I was pricing out the sensors for a project (the guy who designs and sells these things is a super cool, highly qualified guy, used to give lectures about lidar tracking etc some of it is on YouTube) in bulk the sensors are about $0.40 USD each. There's 87 sensors per device and you get two devices in a set.

Sensors alone cost $70 plus shipping plus installation so there's at least one quarter of the retail price

Then you have two batteries, $10 each, and central processing unit (???) and the casings, assembly plus the need to break even on everything (20% markup)

I don't like the price either, but those sensors aren't exactly commodity hardware and they are possibly the single largest like item on the bill of materials.

Compare to the Rift where they might have 60 x 2 $0.02 IR LEDS = $2.40 in tracking technology. Rift is definitely consumer grade technology.

Also if anyone is curious how compatibility works with the lighthouses, it's specifically the sensors. The original sensors only work with the original beam pattern/frequency. The new sensors work with both the old and new pattern/frequencies.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I know this was meant to be humorous, but I was pricing out the sensors for a project (the guy who designs and sells these things is a super cool, highly qualified guy, used to give lectures about lidar tracking etc some of it is on YouTube) in bulk the sensors are about $0.40 USD each. There's 87 sensors per device and you get two devices in a set.

Sensors alone cost $70 plus shipping plus installation so there's at least one quarter of the retail price

It's crazy how expensive that analog silicon is compared to digital devices. The price per sensor is greater than what I would expect to pay for a low end arm micro.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Hadlock posted:

Then you have two batteries, $10 each, and central processing unit (???) and the casings, assembly plus the need to break even on everything (20% markup)

I don't like the price either, but those sensors aren't exactly commodity hardware and they are possibly the single largest like item on the bill of materials.

Compare to the Rift where they might have 60 x 2 $0.02 IR LEDS = $2.40 in tracking technology. Rift is definitely consumer grade technology.

Also if anyone is curious how compatibility works with the lighthouses, it's specifically the sensors. The original sensors only work with the original beam pattern/frequency. The new sensors work with both the old and new pattern/frequencies.

There are not 87 lighthouse sensors per device. There are 87 lighthouse sensors + buttons + touch sensors + finger tracking elements + force sensors + analog axes + IMU elements + ...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ralith posted:

There are not 87 lighthouse sensors per device. There are 87 lighthouse sensors + buttons + touch sensors + finger tracking elements + force sensors + analog axes + IMU elements + ...

There's still a lot of over-engineering in them for what they functionally need to do for most games. Given the price point they landed at, I'd like to see if someone could gut them down to an entry-level version that's "just" on par with Oculus Touch (but still with the touchpad on top of the thumbstick and buttons) and see how much of the price comes off.

Out of curiosity, do the Knuckle buttons and thumbstick have the same sensors the Touch ones do? Couldn't find out one way or the other.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity, do the Knuckle buttons and thumbstick have the same sensors the Touch ones do? Couldn't find out one way or the other.
They do, there isn't analog thumb tracking, just if it's touching a button or the stick or not.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Shine posted:

I made a dead-on-arrival thread about this game!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768528

It's still stupid amounts of fun, with or without VR.

I once played Stop Talking in a setup where we had a team of people with the manual in one room, the game running on a tablet in another and a couple of people with the diffuser who weren't allowed to see the screen whose job was to talk over the phone with the manual team. We literally recreated that scene from Starwars where C3PO couldn't tell if the screams coming over the comms were from success or failure after a particularly clutch last second morse code decryption. Game rules.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

homeless snail posted:

They do, there isn't analog thumb tracking, just if it's touching a button or the stick or not.

There isn’t really analog finger tracking. There’s a capacitive sensor that your fingers curl around that as you grip around it more and more it closes the finger. The same thing that could be achieved with an Oculus Touch grip button for each finger.
The thumb has a thumb dent shaped thumbpad that’s a good resting point, a force button and also a full touchpad.
The joystick doesn’t feel as good as the Oculus Touch but it’s an improvement over the garbage touchpads on the wands.
Knuckles are good controllers but they are waaaaaaaaaaaay overhyped.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Ralith posted:

The controller does not require 87 lighthouse sensors. Go count the sensors on a Vive headset. 87 per hand would be ridiculous. 87 sensors is counting everything.

Straight from the index website:

https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/index/controllers posted:

Each controller uses 87 sensors to track hand position, finger position, motion, and pressure to determine user intent. All of these signals, combined with fine-tuned software and algorithms, give us a better understanding of how a player is holding and using the controllers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tip posted:

The controller does not require 87 lighthouse sensors. Go count the sensors on a Vive headset. 87 per hand would be ridiculous. 87 sensors is counting everything.

Straight from the index website:

Hold on there Robocop, your maths co-processor's escaped the equation. Let me push a fix for you;

Ralith posted:

There are not 87 lighthouse sensors per device. There are 87 (lighthouse sensors + buttons + touch sensors + finger tracking elements + force sensors + analog axes + IMU elements + ...)

rage-saq posted:

There isn’t really analog finger tracking. There’s a capacitive sensor that your fingers curl around that as you grip around it more and more it closes the finger. The same thing that could be achieved with an Oculus Touch grip button for each finger.
The thumb has a thumb dent shaped thumbpad that’s a good resting point, a force button and also a full touchpad.
The joystick doesn’t feel as good as the Oculus Touch but it’s an improvement over the garbage touchpads on the wands.
Knuckles are good controllers but they are waaaaaaaaaaaay overhyped.

To be fair, Valve actually had a pretty sane use case for why they went nuts with touch sensors rather than just a row of grip buttons in that not everyone's hands are the same size. A cheaper version with buttons would still get like, I dunno, 75%+? of the viable market though. Sony sure seemed to think so with their patent, anyway.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hold on there Robocop, your maths co-processor's escaped the equation. Let me push a fix for you;

To be fair, Valve actually had a pretty sane use case for why they went nuts with touch sensors rather than just a row of grip buttons in that not everyone's hands are the same size. A cheaper version with buttons would still get like, I dunno, 75%+? of the viable market though. Sony sure seemed to think so with their patent, anyway.

It’s true, that many buttons would be insane, the capacitive sensor is definitely the way to go. I still would prefer an analog trigger like the Touch for actually grabbing in game though, I haven’t been able to adjust thresholds to get rid of the whole accidentally grabbing things just moving my hands around.
I’ve talked to some devs who feel the same way and I’ve suggested making some game actions that would allow you to bind grab to squeeze which would cut down on accidental grabs 100%

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

What added value do the new controllers represent, or is all the fancy tech in them effectively wasted? Articles don't mention the former, but I can't imagine the latter, either.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lord Stimperor posted:

What added value do the new controllers represent, or is all the fancy tech in them effectively wasted? Articles don't mention the former, but I can't imagine the latter, either.

Better experience of immersion because you're physically interacting with stuff and not just feel like you're holding a controller and pressing buttons the entire time. You also have a full range of natural hand gestures translating into VR, which is great for social interaction or just tacticool multiplayer gaming. Along with the means to virtually flip NPC's and other players off any time you please, and really isn't that worth the price alone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Better experience of immersion because you're physically interacting with stuff and not just feel like you're holding a controller and pressing buttons the entire time. You also have a full range of natural hand gestures translating into VR, which is great for social interaction or just tacticool multiplayer gaming. Along with the means to virtually flip NPC's and other players off any time you please, and really isn't that worth the price alone?

This is overblown knuckles hype.
You still feel like you are using a controller because you are. The primary modes of interaction with VR are 98% the same as Oculus Touch with a slightly slicker grip system.
The finger pose system is about 35% natural compared to Touch being 5% natural. Gameplay elements will not be reliant on finger poses any time soon because it would be a very poor control system and they will almost entirely stay the same as what the Touch does now.
95% of its use is social interactions which count for a lot. It does increase your immersion a bit though.