Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Eye tracking isn't really necessary given how lovely the current crop of HMDs get towards the edges of the images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Wow, I didnt know they were supplying retail stores instead of preorders. That is scummy to the extreme. As much as the headset might actually be pretty good, they are bad at business sense.

Not that it isn't bullshit, but they likely have contractual obligations to those retailers with penalties if they can't deliver, whereas you're just some random customer.

But yeah, lol at the Rift's preorder shitshow, I decided to order a Vive a month ago and it was here two weeks ago.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ChickenArise posted:

I've "heard" form a source that I consider to be credible that the FB app has gotten a lot better on Android at least when it comes to battery usage, but that you should also absolutely not have it installed as it "messes with parts of the Android system that aren't really for apps to mess with"

100% true.

https://facebook.com/notes/facebook-engineering/under-the-hood-dalvik-patch-for-facebook-for-android/10151345597798920/

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 1, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cojawfee posted:

It does seem weird since you would expect Valve to implement their own SDK on their own engine. I'm starting to worry about them. Every time I see something about Valve, it looks like they are just resting on their laurels as the creators of Steam. Sure they've made SteamVR but they expected a bunch of indie developers to fill up their store with VR games. All they've done was The Lab and that wasn't even in their own engine. The last game they released was Dota 2 in 2013. Besides that it's just The Lab which is a tech demo. I hope they announce something at E3 but I really expected them to have some big first party VR game come out.

Maybe they are just getting out of the game making business. With Unreal being totally free to start out with and Unity taking a similar path, they'd probably have to put forth a lot of effort to do something similar with Source 2.0. What's the point of releasing their own free or cheap to use engine to attract smaller devs when they can just take all the Unity and Unreal games and put them on their store with no effort of their own?

IMO (looking at this from the outside) Valve sounds like a pretty dysfunctional company.

There's this piece defending Oculus's role in developing VR, and one of the things they defend Oculus on is that Valve didn't have the focus to bring a serious hardware project to fruition in-house (apart from something trivial like the Steam Link or Steam Controller), and say that's why those guys left Valve for Oculus. Well, I actually don't think Valve has the focus to bring anything non-trivial to market anymore.

They basically just let their developers work on whatever they want (“This company is yours to steer. Toward opportunities and away from risks. You have the power to green-light projects. You have the power to ship products.”), which is great for the developers but makes them unable to actually deliver a non-trivial product because their employees get bored and wander off to ride bikes. They haven't done more than about a quarter of a game in like a decade now, it's just been Half-Life 2 Episodes and some new maps/characters for L4D. If they didn't have Steam they would probably have gone out of business a long time ago, but that's a money printing machine.

Also, Source is a dumpster fire of an engine, parts of it literally date back to the original Quake. I have not played anything on Source 2 so I can't comment there, but Source is clearly long past its expiration date and it's entirely unsurprising that Valve isn't using it. It's really amazing that it's held together as well as it has - some stuff like Titanfall really is awesome despite being on Source, but I think it's just not suitable for giving a good VR experience.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 6, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cojawfee posted:

They are using Digital River which is complete gutter trash. Unless they changed things recently, they don't allow you to customize delivery. You have to let it fail delivery once and then you can set it to be delivered to a FedEx store.

They take it back to the depot after they're done running deliveries for the day. I picked mine up the same day it failed delivery, you just have to go between 5:30 when the truck gets back and 8pm when the depot closes.

What used to be here? Showing as 404'd for me.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 6, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rastor posted:

Tom's Hardware published a tour of the backpack computer prototypes at Computex:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/vr-backpacks-msi-zotac-chaintek,31974.html

I've really been waiting for this, I've even thought about ghettoing up something on my own but this is obviously much better than what I can throw together.

I'd love to throw some high-quality stereo cameras on the front and do augmented reality stuff with them. Point Grey makes some USB 3.0 units that can run 1080p at 170 fps or 4:3-ish 1440p at 121 FPS, and they have C-mounts so you could use real optics instead of cheap webcam garbage. Last time I checked they were about a grand a pop, but it's still cheaper than the MS HoloLens, lol

Cojawfee posted:

I just realized I need to pack up my DK2. The new iRacing build comes out tomorrow and with that, I lose my last ties to Windows 7 and the .6 SDK. That also frees up a whole SSD. I guess I can install Oculus on there since you can't change where games install.

I had a DK2 but I sold it when I got a Vive. I then realized that I don't want to play HOTAS cockpit sims in my living room, so yesterday I snagged another DK2 off Craigslist for $320. Not sure if I want to keep it, or sell it while the value is as high as possible and get a CV1. Support is almost certainly going to be discontinued at the end of 2016 anyway - I would bet money on it.

Speaking of which, I assume at that point the Oculus Runtime 1.3 or whatever will no longer allow the DK2 to operate at that point. Is it literally a paperweight, or can you run an older version of the runtime or something for SteamVR support?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cojawfee posted:

The latest version of Oculus supports the DK2. It will give you a banner saying that it's not officially supported but it works. I don't see any reason why it won't continue to work for games that don't require motion controllers.

quote:

DK2 will continue to be supported as a development platform in 2016. That means you should upgrade to SDK 1.3 and access Oculus Home, Oculus Store, and Oculus app for Windows for development purposes.

DK2 is not officially supported as a consumer product, although it will provide access to aforementioned software. You can purchase software through the Oculus Store but it may not work as intended or at all.

Since DK2 is a developer kit and content on the Oculus Store is designed specifically for consumer Rift, there may be issues running it now or in the future. However, any purchase that you make using a DK2 is associated with your Oculus account, not a specific headset. That means your content will be available to you if you get a consumer Rift.
https://support.oculus.com/1267582579925778

Same kind of answer as they gave on Revive - "there may be issues running it once decide to block it on our platform, but your games will still work if you buy a CV1". They say right there it's not a consumer product, it's for developers, and after all why would you want to develop on a device that doesn't support touch controllers and roomscale in 2017?

So again, assuming Oculus cuts off DK2 hardware from the Runtime Platform (which reading between the lines there I'm confident they will do at the end of the year), is SteamVR compatible with the older runtimes and so on, so that you could still use it with SteamVR games? Or is it a paperweight at that point?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 6, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cojawfee posted:

I don't see any reason for them to block the DK2 any time soon.

They want to sell CV1 units to users forced into upgrades? Same reason they'd block Vive users - all that stuff about Oculus being perfectly happy to just sell software is clearly in the past.

Particularly since they can say "well we said the DK2 was only supported as a developer platform, just get your boss to pay for it! Oh wait, you weren't trying to run the DK2 as a consumer, were you? :smug:". Palmer's last posts on Reddit were making noise about how if you're a consumer with a DK2 you can get hosed. That is, before Oculus finally told him to shut his goddamn piehole.

quote:

palmerluckey -253 points 1 month ago gildedx4

Do you have a Rift, or are you lamenting the difficulty of getting your development kit to run consumer software?
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4fi8cd/oculus_your_website_is_garbage/d29bpxt

quote:

palmerluckey -182 points 1 month ago

The functionality is optimized around a different set of goals than many people in this thread seem to assume. The front page of our website was not designed to sell games to people with VR headsets, nor was it designed to push software updates to people without a Rift in hand or Home installed. Home is meant to be installed and configured with a Rift plugged in, and nobody with a Rift is going to have a hard time making that happen.

I am not saying the site is perfect, but people who are complaining about our site lacking features that are built into Home or lamenting the difficulty of getting their development kits to run consumer software should keep that in mind.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4fi8cd/oculus_your_website_is_garbage/d29avb0

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 6, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I couldn't get used to any of the camera modes in TF2 so I ended up disabling headset control entirely and using the mouse to control the camera, if that counts. Just using it as a pair of 3d glasses basically.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Reminder that FO4's engine is deeply (perhaps inseparably) tied to a 60hz framerate.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 13, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mordaedil posted:

Yes, but none of that is Gamebryo. That's just Bethesda. The same console commands that work in Oblivion doesn't work in loving Civilization IV. They are both Gamebryo games. The engine isn't related. I don't want to be held responsible for people misattributing the wrong terminology to Bethesda's lovely coding.

No, it's a modded Gamebryo. There's still strings containing Gamebryo in the Skyrim EXEs. Think of it like Half-Life - GoldSrc is still based on Quake, just with some tweaked/rewritten subsystems. There are still certain limitations and oddities baked in too.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is there a reason VR Covers never took another round of preorders for the 6mm thin (FOV-boosting) replacement foam for the Vive? I have a pair of them and I just put them on for the first time, just wondering if there's some design flaw or something.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

homeless snail posted:

The CastAR last I heard has a clip on for doing exactly that

Yeah exactly - all you need is a piece of plastic to block out the outside world and AR becomes VR. Maybe some backlights and a plastic diffuser if you need that to see the display.

Cojawfee posted:

I think we're going to see VR implementing more AR stuff before we see any AR good enough to even match VR.

There was at least one guy who experimented with mounting a pair of 720p@60 webcams to the front of his DK1 with some modified wide-angle lenses. I've always had my eye on some of the PointGrey cameras, they have ones that can do 1080p@120fps which is enough for CV1/Vive usage, and they have the standard C/CS mount for CCTV surveillance camera lenses so you can get actual decent optics for them instead of hot-glued crap. If necessary you could even undo a fisheye projection as part of the image manipulation sequence, assuming you have enough rendering power. They're about $1k a pop plus optics, and the optics may increase the perceived weight pretty significantly since they have lots of leverage, and you'd also need a wearable backpack PC.

The Vive is slightly better in theory because you don't need to maintain a tether to your lighthouses like you do the tracking cameras. However neither system is going to take real kindly to blocking a bunch of the tracking constellations. Depending on your setup I think it can be a problem even with a big pair of over-ear headphones, let alone with some camera modules on front. They really ought to make some extra constellation lights or tracking sensors that can clip onto the headband or something.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 22, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cojawfee posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "you don't need to maintain a tether to your lighthouses." Any time the Vive loses tracking, the entire screen goes grey. The rift keeps on going with rotational tracking but moving your head could lead to motion sickness. I can see the reason for the Vive solutuon but it's incredibly annoying when it can't see a lighthouse for a second and the whole thing greys out.

The Rift cameras need to be connected to the computer with USB 3.0. The Vive does not, because the Vive itself is doing the tracking and the lighthouses are just periodically sweeping the area with their beams.

If you can carry your computer around with you, there's nothing stopping you from walking untethered around your play area with a Vive. Backpack computers are useless for the Rift, because you need to be tethered to your cameras anyway, so you might as well just plug the computer into a wall and use a HMD cable like normal.

I've never had a problem with the Vive disconnecting when using the sync cable. I think if you can get the lighthouses up high it's pretty reliable, and in the future it should be possible to go up to three lighthouses for even more coverage.

On top of that, the lighthouse has a really long range. Three of them would definitely get you up to like a warehouse-sized play space for commercial-style setups. The Rift starts getting funky past 6 feet and cuts out at 11 feet, and only supports a single camera right now.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 22, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SlayVus posted:

With the current sync solutions, I think the only way you could go 3+ light houses is with optical syncs or a redesign of the LH to allow for two sync cable ports.

Put them all on a single cable using Y splitter(s). The 'A' lighthouse clocks the cable, everyone syncs, and the other lighthouses fire round-robin. It's a straightforward modification of the "B" slave mode, should be doable with firmware updates.

The only problem could be that if you have several lighthouses that are occluded that your refresh rate would start to deteriorate. Ideally you'd want the headset to be able to signal individual light houses to scan, so that it could only fire lighthouses that are within view of the headset. But that's kind of a niche edge case that would mostly only be applicable for AR where you have scenery.

Cojawfee posted:

^^^ Because they are in an empty warehouse that probably acts as a faraday cage. Your setup probably has a bunch of furniture in the room as well as a bunch of electronics in your house as well as all the interference from outside.

The Vive uses optical scanning, not RF, so RF noise is not really relevant here.

I'd say that it's more about having a nice vertical angle on the playing field, combined with a lack of reflective surfaces. Running the sync cable also really helps, if they're doing that.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 23, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hadlock posted:

Valve was talking about scaling up to N base stations supporting 10s of people in the same simulation. Based on what I've read it sounds like whoever is in charge of their BT drivers is really terrible at their job. Valve needs to learn to walk before they can run. It wouldn't surprise me if Lighthouse hardware v2 or v3 supports multiple lighthouses.

That they're opening up the lighthouse spec to third parties sort of makes me think that N lighthouse technology is mature enough to start publishing a draft spec.

Now that I think about it, occulus' delay on the hand tracking might even be a retooling of their product to support lighthouse technology? Just because they shipped their developers camera based tracking doesn't mean they can't change the hardware. After all the developers just use an API; the hardware is way abstracted away.

Please link this, that's fascinating as poo poo. It makes sense though, the time deltas can be factored and that's your lighthouse numbers.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have a vive but my lighthouses are permanently installed in my living room. Should I get a second set of lighthouses for my desk (I don't have a very good angle to get a pair of lighthouses pointed at my face where I sit) or just get a Rift as a second set?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Any recommendations/cautionary notes on a travel case for a Vive system? Hard-side would be nice but whatever. And I figure I'd carry tripods/ballheads separately (unless there's a better solution)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
How is Fallout 4 VR supposed to work? Isn't FO4 60fps-locked because of its physics and also uses a godawful warmed-over Oblivion engine that runs like poo poo?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Forget VR, I'd probably be willing to pay for Fallout 4 on an engine that wasn't garbage :v:

(will you be able to play regular flat-monitor on this?)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Consider the following: Tilt Brush Pictionary

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I played around with NVIDIA Ansel for a little bit over the last couple days. Drag these files into the "Photos" tab of Virtual Desktop.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7aucghmpx57tq3i/The%20Witcher%203%20360-Stereo%202017.08.31%20-%2000.27.36.07.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ih9c0megpz8wy0g/The%20Witcher%203%20360-Stereo%202017.08.31%20-%2021.03.58.11.jpg?dl=0

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is the Pimax 4K worth the money? I have a Vive.

I was just thinking today... does the DK2 even work anymore or did they finally pull support?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Sorry, meant the 8K.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Good luck pitching any consumer-oriented killer app with a $3k unit cost per headset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Does anyone think that Pimax taking off might be an eventual nail in constellation tracking's coffin? Multiple HMD companies standardizing on the lighthouse approach seems like a big selling point.