Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is RPG.net the site with the weirdo grognard that always talks about how awful any progressive developments in the RPG world are, and signs all his posts with his tobacco of the week?

No, that's RPGsite, which was made for folks who got banned from RPG.net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is RPG.net the site with the weirdo grognard that always talks about how awful any progressive developments in the RPG world are, and signs all his posts with his tobacco of the week?

No. That's TheRPGSite IIRC

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I've gotten ISS Vanguard, Unsettled, Sleep8ng Gods 2, Canvas 3, and Mythic Battles: Ragnarok all in short succession, and now I need more Kallaxes. MBR in particular has amazing figures and soo many of them.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

IncredibleIgloo posted:

No that's therpgsite, which I think even Fox has been restrained enough to avoid. RPGnet is one of the oldest RPG (plus other stuff) forums and might still be the largest site mostly about RPGs in general, though there's probably some D&D specific forum or a subreddit that dwarfs it nowadays.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

IncredibleIgloo posted:

You're thinking of John Tarnowski, aka TheRPGPundit aka Swarmi Nisarg who when he is not furiously decrying the "swine" who play storygames (which is, like, anything that's not D&D 2E, I forget) he's peddling some weird spin on the I Ching which is where the Swarmi part comes in. Once upon a time he was on the Big Purple but was booted years and years ago.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Meanwhile, I think "RPGsite" without the "The" is just a generic-rear end site for talking about video games.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

Meanwhile, I think "RPGsite" without the "The" is just a generic-rear end site for talking about video games.

They have useful minimalist guides for the pixel remasters for when I forget what the hell I was doing in ff3 after walking away for a week.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

I found a kickstarter for a strategy table top rpg, similar to a wargame, that is set in a gothic fantasy world.

It is called Over War: The Night Comes Down - Monarch Edition. Inspired by Fire Emblem, Yggdra Union, Langrisser, and the works of Yasumi Matsuno, it is authored by Richard Kelly and has been expanded by Alex T of Blackoath Entertainment.

Some of you may know Alex T and Blackoath Entertainment from their other successful kickstarter Across a Thousand Dead Worlds, now on DriveThru. I own that product as well.

Here is what the Monarch Edition (kickstarter version) contains:

quote:

Monarch Edition is a complete remaster of the original Over War, which has been out since 2022. Monarch Edition adds new tables, resources, lore, GM tools, and solo play support, and includes all content from the Fraternization And Fortresses, Roads Of Caer Elhwyn, The Gerlac Woods, and Lake Crescent expansions.

The original Over War is 47 pages. To see how the original Over War plays, you can download a Community Copy for FREE (while they last) from itch.io here. Scroll to the bottom of the page to get a copy.

The kickstarter Monarch Edition will be around 105 pages. The primary reasons for doing a kickstarter is to expand the book, and pay for new layout and art.

What are the mechanics you should expect from Over War: The Night Comes Down - Monarch Edition?

By Richard Kelly February 5, 2024 on kickstarter comment 2 posted:

At the start of the game, you have five types of characters unlocked. This means you might be able to put Gremlins, Rocketists, Wolfhounds, Archmages, and Ghosts in your Unit, freely mixing and matching in whatever formation you like. You might build your Unit out of only Gremlins, or put a sturdy Wolfhound in the front and a frail but powerful Archmage in the back. When you have time between battles, you can reshuffle both your formation and which types of characters you have included, so you can even design counter-formations to deal with particularly pesky enemy Units.

As you play, you explore the hexmaps of the various provinces and territories of Ballark and visit the towns and cities therein. Most settled tiles will let you heal and reshuffle your formation, but some will unlock new character types---or will give you a choice that unlocks a new character type if you're willing to pay the price.

In the first scenario included in Monarch Edition, The Campaign For Estwald, the players come across a human city plagued by an infestation of Vampyres. The humans want the Vampyres gone, and will gladly give you rations and a holy relic in exchange for purging them from the streets. The Vampyres, on the other hand, are sick of being pushed to the margins of mortal society and will happily join up with you if you leave them in peace. The humans of Ballark don't like it, and it affects your Reputation with them, but you can choose to unlock Vampyres here, gaining a powerful character type that hits harder at night.

The system advertises “a nearly diceless system that rewards strategy, positioning, resource use, and reading your opponent.”

Full disclosure, I have backed Over War: Monarch Edition and I am in the process of reading the previous edition. I am personally very interested in the game’s new Solo mode.

Kickstarter link for Over War: The Night Comes Down - Monarch Edition: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1775185920/over-war-the-night-comes-down-monarch-edition/description

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I hope they don't use the same shipping process because it's been a mess for their scifi game.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!

Last few hours of the Backdrops 2 Kickstarter, art by Jon Hodgson.

Everything is unlocked, we got ruins, tunnels, skies, and winter in A3 and A4.

There is no pledge manager, so make sure your choices are finalised before it ends,

Thanks everyone who's partook or shared etc, this forum has won btw in Battle of the Stats for number of people and total amount of pledges. Yussssss

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

TheDiceBagLady posted:

Last few hours of the Backdrops 2 Kickstarter, art by Jon Hodgson.

Everything is unlocked, we got ruins, tunnels, skies, and winter in A3 and A4.

There is no pledge manager, so make sure your choices are finalised before it ends,

Thanks everyone who's partook or shared etc, this forum has won btw in Battle of the Stats for number of people and total amount of pledges. Yussssss

I am ultra confused, does the "All new books at launch" tier not include all the new books? I cannot figure out if that includes all the new books, especially the skies and winter books.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am ultra confused, does the "All new books at launch" tier not include all the new books? I cannot figure out if that includes all the new books, especially the skies and winter books.

Ello! It's the books that were there at the start - ruins & tunnels A4 sci fi and fantasy, and the two original fantasy and sci fi books in A3. All the reward tiers have pictures and lists of what you get, and everything else is in the add on's part when you "manage your pledge".

If you're still stuck, let me know what combo of books you want and I'll solve for you (I appreciate it got confusing when quite a few more books were added!)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Godot Games is doing a reprint/expansions for Among Cultists, but it feels like I’ve been seeing ads for it forever. Turns out the original campaign was only a year ago, and I guess they never reinvested money to keep production going?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Had my attention brought to this Kickstarter for Legends in the Mist: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sonofoak/legend-in-the-mist-rpg?ref=ksr_email_user_new_friend_backing

Has anyone played their previous RPG City of Mist? Looks like it shares the same mechanics. The art looks great and the mechanics sound neat. I've got a lot of RPGs on my shelf I'm still gearing to actually run so I really don't need another one but if anyone had any experience with their older title that might make it easier to gauge.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I've run City of Mist a bunch of times and am currently running a City of Mist game based on the Persona series. The art in City of Mist is gorgeous and overall it feels like a very high quality product. I personally mostly like the CoM rules which are a Fate/PbTA hybrid where your character is composed of a bunch of tags instead of stats, and you select the appropriate tags when performing an action. The rules are a bit clunky but creating a character is realy interesting and I've been able to use CoM to run a Persona game with pretty much 0 homebrewing.

I'm really looking forward to Legends in the Mist even if medieval fantasy does nothing for me, mostly because the FAQ mentions that they've improved the rules from CoM by streamlining them a bunch and removing the Moves entirely.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Ah good to know. The description did kind of sound like FATE to me. And streamlining the existing ruleset makes it more appealing. Though I am curious why the removal of Moves sounds good to you. Knowing nothing else about the game in my experience the PbtA genre runs so well because of the way Moves work. Did it just not mesh well with their other mechanics?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The way it works (you don't have stats, just a series of aspects/tags you pull on for your bonuses) and the kind of looseness of how it is "supposed" to be makes it work much less well with the structured move setup.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Do tags have levels or do you pull multiple and add up your number of relevant tags?

It’s weird to me because when I originally saw this game I knew it was apocalypse world smashed together with fate, and said “I don’t get it, will this work?”
And I just now am reading Wildsea which is very obviously fate smashed together with blades in the dark, and immediately understood it despite being terrible at Blades.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pull multiple and add up the relevant tags, IIRC.

Teh Madd Hatter
May 26, 2008
One caveat on the Legends talk is that they are a year behind on delivering physical product for their last crowdfunding project. I expect them to deliver but they are certainly not timely.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Yeah tags are worth +1 or -1 on your roll, with the exception of statuses which go up to 6. This can be awkward in my experience because creating a positive status effect is one of the options you have with some moves and it's pretty easy to create let's say a +3 status effect, plus your tags, and end up with a really high bonus to roll. We've been playing with the optional grit rules to make it more difficult to end up with a +7 to a roll and it has mostly solved this issue in our case.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
Return to Perinthos is a megadungeon book being put together as a memorial for Jennell Jaquays, who recently passed away. Now available for preorders, it will contain ~200 pages with over 80 brand-new maps and keys from dozens of contributors (full disclosure: including myself), for a wide array of systems. It's raising funds now on Crowdfundr, and all profits will go to her family and the charity Trans Lifeline.

https://crowdfundr.com/perinthos

quote:

This fundraiser is a memorial for the legendary game designer and Queer activist Jennell Jaquays. Jennell's work was fundamental in shaping early tabletop roleplaying games and how we all assemble maps and dungeons.​​

She also left a major mark on the video game industry working as Director of Game Design for Coleco, as a level designer for id Software, Ensemble Studios, and CCP Games. She was also one of the co-founders of the video game education program, The Guildhall at SMU.

As a Queer activist, she worked as creative director for the Transgender Human Rights Institute in Seattle and was involved in the petition to create "Leelah's Law," outlawing conversion therapy of LGBT youth.

She will be sorely missed as a mentor and role model for countless people.

JMBosch fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 13, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's a notification about the new edition of Street Masters coming out if anybody wants to take that plunge: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/street-masters-champion-edition

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Once upon a time Jamey liked F**ks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPyZBUT9SgA

The 2nd edition is up on KS now

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
I want to spotlight some indie miniature makers working in physical sculpts.

Fantasy Football Elves, a traditionally-sculpted team from the UK. Cool little old-school minis available in metal and resin. They also have a team of Ratmen available as an add-on. I have no experience with them, but there’s something charming about the designs.

Gobljns and Gobblers, adorable little old-school goblins and toothy round gobble-monsters.

Metal Mongol Steppe Cavalry by Satanic Panic Miniatures, sculpted by the talented Martin Buck. They’re an established company - if smaller and without a storefront - so Kickstarter is how they fund their stuff, and it’s pretty well-done in my experience.

Mirliton Monster Manuscript, reissues of some classic miniatures from the 80s and cast in white metal.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

JMBosch posted:

Return to Perinthos is a megadungeon book being put together as a memorial for Jennell Jaquays, who recently passed away. Now available for preorders, it will contain ~200 pages with over 80 brand-new maps and keys from d

That's really cool. I don't know if I'd ever actually try to run it, but even so it seems like it could be an awesome coffee table book to just like, page through when I'm bored.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
CMON, whose numerous campaigns never bring in less than millions each, has ditched Kickstarter entirely and moved exclusively to Gamefound. Just kind of interesting.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Eyes Have It posted:

CMON, whose numerous campaigns never bring in less than millions each, has ditched Kickstarter entirely and moved exclusively to Gamefound. Just kind of interesting.

They're sitting at $867k for this new one so we'll see if that lasts, I guess?

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

StarkRavingMad posted:

That's really cool. I don't know if I'd ever actually try to run it, but even so it seems like it could be an awesome coffee table book to just like, page through when I'm bored.

If nothing else, it'd probably be a great resource if you ever need to grab a one-shot dungeon at the last minute. Just flip to a random page until you hit one with a system you can use or convert with ease. (Or I assume they'll insert an index so you can see a list of maps by system.)

But if you have a regular group that loves megadungeons, the variety could make for an interesting experience.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://gamefound.com/en/projects/cmon/a-song-of-ice-fire-tactics#/section/rewards

2.5 foot tall drogon miniature, idk if I can stop myself

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

https://www.backerkit.com/c/projects/douglas-h-cole/saethor-s-bane-a-dungeon-fantasy-rpg-solo-adventure

A solo adventure for Dungeon Fantasy RPG (GURPS with modifications to play a bit more like D&D in spirit). It's not Steve Jackson Games, if that matter to you.

Check it out!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Hypnobeard posted:

https://www.backerkit.com/c/projects/douglas-h-cole/saethor-s-bane-a-dungeon-fantasy-rpg-solo-adventure

A solo adventure for Dungeon Fantasy RPG (GURPS with modifications to play a bit more like D&D in spirit). It's not Steve Jackson Games, if that matter to you.

Check it out!

is evil steve letting more people use gurps outside of his empire?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

is evil steve letting more people use gurps outside of his empire?

Steve doesn't particularly care about DFRPG from what I can see. Gaming Ballistic is doing most of the active support.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Bee posted:

That's what happened to Black Flag, too, though boy did they pick the most generic names to try and supplant it. At least Tales of the Valiant has some grip, but Core Fantasy Roleplay? Phew.

The bigger disappointment with Black Flag is that they're just making a 5e clone.

Zurai posted:

Yeah, I was going to say that I was playing 7th Sea TCG in high school well before PotC came out. It was a drat good game, too. They also had a d20 supplement book before they released their own official RPG line, IIRC.

Other way around, Swashbuckling Adventures was translating 7th Sea stuff to 3.x D&D. Came out in 2006.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Hypnobeard posted:

40 pages long dosn't seem very long for a solo gamebook.

Also, whats wrong with SJG to want people to know to avoid it???

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Comstar posted:

40 pages long dosn't seem very long for a solo gamebook.

Also, whats wrong with SJG to want people to know to avoid it???

They did some work with Bill Webb after the allegations about him getting drunk and assaulting women at cons came out, iirc.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah they basically made some bad business decisions because Steve is friends with all the old problematic guys and he's like "my friend would never do that" when they pull some heinous poo poo.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Looks like BackerKit is down right now, did something big launch?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

armorer posted:

Looks like BackerKit is down right now, did something big launch?

Meta (fb, insta) is also down, so it might be linked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

The_Doctor posted:

Meta (fb, insta) is also down, so it might be linked.

I can't imagine using FB login even as a user on other sites, much less building a platform that relies on it for any reason.