Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

NTRabbit posted:

And it's still made nearly a million dollars in a day.

I wonder how many people actually play the CMoN games, how many people don't play them and instead just paint their big box of random minis, and how many spend all that money to get a big box of minis that never leaves the closet?

This is a late response but my wife and I look for games that are 2-player co-op friendly (although we play with a group of friends a couple times a month) and at first we skipped on Zombicide because of the price but managed to get it on sale. We had so much fun with it that we ended up getting a bunch of extras for it and decided to paint the minis since zombies are fairly easy to do. The best part though was that we could play 2-player with 3 survivors each!

Then we noticed that Black Plague had a bunch of improvements and better models and really nice dashboards.

That of course led us to Massive Darkness which has all that and appears to scratch that fantasy/D&D/dungeon crawl itch we both have.

Gateway drug. I know.

But whether we paint them or not, the game mechanics work well for us. Our rational is that Warhammer is cool but overly complicated and can be very expensive to invest in. But to have a game with cool minis where all you need is the core game (extras are extras and not necessary) and a simple rule set is refreshing in my opinion. So the CMON premium price isn't too bad from that perspective. Hell, with all the stretch goals, the kickstarter pledge is a decent deal for all those miniatures (when compared to Games Workshop prices). I might be rationalizing but still, it looks like fun.

The only problem is that the original Zombicide may be rendered obsolete when we get this one, especially with the Black Plague crossover. Either way, Zombicide has been played many times with friends and by ourselves and we even invested in a heavy varnish to help protect the painted figures.

Little side-note, most recent stretch goal is a female elf in armor that doesn't have boobie cups which I thought was fairly progressive for a fantasy game.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Terrible Opinions posted:

Though everyone in the game tends to have really dumb poses, and not dumb as in sexist but just dumb as in "son you gonna fall over".

It's understandable if you don't like the stylized look but I think it's pretty rad!

(Most recent stretch goal)

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Yeah, the chick on rollerskates (Zombicide) is kinda like that as well as the special guest box with the dual-sword wielding schoolgirl.

To be fair, the plastic has a bit of flex so it won't snap like Games Workshop minis. It's also possible that the Kickstarter Stretch Goal monsters were rejected from retail production due to their fragility and inconsistency to the core game. I still want them.

I'm looking at you, weretiger. :catstare:

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Arivia posted:

Holy poo poo take your hand out of your pants when you sculpt a miniature, goddamn.

Yeah, they had a bad run of side boobs and such that's more than a little eye-roll worthy. I actually like playing one particular character who is based on Black Widow since she starts off with "Break-in" power which is very handy. But she's in a skin tight latex-like leather onesie with the zipper down to her sternum. I mean I like Black Widow and all just not the over the top partially exposed boobs. We are fighting zombies after all.

To their credit, they've gotten better since. I especially like the woman in platemail (Lady Grimm) who looks like Brienne of Tarth.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 21, 2016