Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The shelves looking a little crowded out of space or you're using the box Frosthaven comes in as a coffee table out of space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dawgstar posted:

I've been looking forward to it for years. It's the last great G+ RPG enterprise. I'm also amused it's over four hundred thousand and not a single stretch goal. (Some of the supporters are angry about this.)

It's weird to see a project without stretch goals, especially one as successful as this. It's not that hard to promise an adventure or something.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

But Catalyst? They don't know how to successfully run a business any more than Petersen does.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh it's a good thing for KS backers, certainly. It's just a terrible business decision that only earns them goodwill and costs them thousands of dollars with no guarantee of future revenue. Catalyst could use the good press though since they still have a bit of stink on them from the embezzling thing, so maybe they feel it's a good deal in exchange for first dibs on Petersen's future output.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Unless you're a wildly successful Kickstarter it just makes sense to bump your production up a tier and sell at retail (and budget your initial pitch accordingly) and if you're a wildly successful Kickstarter it makes even more sense unless you think you've reached the limit of your audience.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's just bullshit.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's lowballing your goal in the hopes you'll get it when you go over and then there's setting your goal so low that 500% over doesn't cover costs. The first is marketing, the second is loving idiocy and I wish them poorly in any future endeavors.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ah Kevin, when will you learn. Still expect it to make a mil off of nostalgia and the license alone.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You make one tasteless joke then agree to reroll and never speak of it again.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

As far as comic nerds go, DCeased isn't nearly as loved as Marvel Zombies so I wouldn't expect it to do Marvel numbers.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Invalid Validation posted:

I know Marvel stuff sells pretty well but are the margins even that good between all the logistics and licensing fees?

Depends on the fees. I know fees have gone up over the last few years but not the exact amounts. It really depends on Marvel whether or not it matters.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't think Gamefound will ever have an anti AI art policy because Awaken Realms uses AI art in is products.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

As has been stated elsewhere before and earlier in this thread. It costs them nothing to say they're not using AI art if they're not, there's no significant pro AI lobby of consumers they'd be alienating. What it does cost them is trust, specifically mine, that they're acting in good faith regarding their use of machine learning tools or lack thereof.

At this point if you don't have a policy stated as to whether or not you're going to use AI art, I'm going to assume you're trying to pull a fast one and passing off machine generated art as hand drawn. Just be honest. You won't get my money if you do use AI art, but you also won't get my money if you don't say whether or not you use AI art.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Invalid Validation posted:

So what’s the point of acquiring an unfulfilled campaign? Hope you can make a profit at retail?

Pretty much all you can do if you fulfill it because you're not making any money off of fulfillment unless you're extraordinarily lucky passing the hat around.

You basically have to hope the market for retail is there and the original backers don't represent the entirety of interested parties. Sometimes this is the case and other times (7th Sea comes to mind) it isn't.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Which is just the most white bread name imaginable, no wonder he abbreviates it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The time to do that was years ago, the brand is settled. Any changes now would just confuse the target audience.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

He writes popular 5e poo poo including some crit role books. He has his own webseries where he talks about DMing and does an AP. I think he's guest DM'd for critical role.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah developing, with no experience, a vtt with integrated sales platform is more than just a stretch goal, it's a goal in and off itself that needs substantial time and resources. WotC still hasn't finished theirs and they started virtual tabletop development with 4e (to be fair they dropped it for years, but still, their current attempt is years in the making).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wait how do they have a prototype of a vtt for a bespoke system that isn't even out yet? Did they just throw together a map editor and dice roller and talk a good game?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Probably text interspersed with disclaimers that OpenAI's policies prohibit it from writing about sex.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Thankfully so far real people are savvy enough to not fall for obvious scams, which is all AI is capable of at this point.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That whole KS screams "no I'm not going to check on it after the AI creates it" like even a bare minimum of effort in editing and this would be unremarkable. But no techbro's gotta be all "looks good bro" and be a lazy as possible.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Because giving a poo poo is the first step to actually getting funded.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It might be vulnerable to code injection attacks, which would be funny.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'd like to see an AI design a boardgame, not at those prices but I'd like to see one.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think the pertinent question is why are they six million pounds in debt.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm confused, wouldn't spiral binding let you flip the opposite page back to isolate the specific image, or am I going crazy and you mean something different.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The man obsessively googles his own name, hence the censoring. Last thing we need is the worst of zweihander in here getting knock off wfrp all over everything.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Not banned just chased away, he could come back any time he pleases.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah they basically made some bad business decisions because Steve is friends with all the old problematic guys and he's like "my friend would never do that" when they pull some heinous poo poo.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's hilarious and sad. Hate to see a company burn its bridges like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah but it's easier to fund in seconds if you have mondo whale tiers and mondo whales to fill them, although the timing is still sketch as hell because mondo whales aren't the type to wait eagerly for your campaign to open so they can pledge.