Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Also from the last thread here is the thing I said about my gamebook KS, Star Bastards:

SIB posted:

Hello, I would like to plug my goon project here. It's called Star Bastards and it's a solo adventure gamebook, kind of like the Fighting Fantasy series in that it has some light stat management but it plays differently because the mechanics don't work the same way. It's a chase story set in a crummy part of the galaxy where you either play as the guy on the run or the cop that's trying to bring him in. It's effectively two 200-paragraph stories that share mechanics and game assets like item cards and the co-pilot roster. Also both of those stories are pretty funny because everyone you encounter is a complete bastard and mostly out ofr themselves, hence the name.

It's been doing good on Kickstarter and hit its modest funding goal pretty quickly, now I'm working on stretch goals and trying to improve things before the project comes to an end in a few weeks. Anyway if you're hunting around for something to fund maybe you'll enjoy it!

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...dventure-gamebo

and here is a thing Helical Nightmares said about it:

Helical Nightmares posted:

:toot:Hahaha. I enjoyed Sword of the Bastard Elf. I thought you did find a crazy book from the 80's in an attic and decided to do a Lets Play of it. So I was confused when I saw this kickstarter. "Did he buy the rights to Two-Fisted Fantasy off the original writer?":negative:

Sword of the Bastard Elf is goldmined: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727561

Void Racers is goldmined: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741940

From the Kickstarter: Johnny is Eternal

Some Sword of the Bastard Elf stuff

Totally worth it for $12 -22. Good luck Mr. Skull. :allears:

The thing's still going good, it's gone over 400% and it's not quite halfway done yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Jedit posted:

I'm still uncertain how this project is meant to kill or maim several children.

i'll find a way

E: It really was a goon project in the end, SA accounted for about a fifth of the funding and a quarter of the orders. Probably more than that because those are just the ones that clicked through direct from the forums.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 13, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I kind of like the look of this but I have no idea if it would actually be fun to play

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Ropes4u posted:

I'm fairly comfortable in my own skin, but I can't imagine walking around in public with that tote (bag).

or sending any of those postcards to anyone I know or care about

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

don't worry guys my kickstarter's in pounds but I'm buying everything from English companies and they use the same podunk currency

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

boom boom boom posted:

They're holding a vote to determine the next playmats they offer, and Norway is winning by a huge margin

hubba hubba i sure want to interact with other people with that thing gurning at me from the table

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

oh yeah should mention that the Star Bastards digital rewards have been emailed out to anyone who backed it. If you haven't received anything PM or email me or some such.

I'm still waiting on Westfalia's halfmen miniatures, i wanted some hobbit knights riding on goats and i've been waiting for what feels like a year for the things.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

This is looking really good, a remake of TSR's Battle of Britain:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1992455033/battle-of-britain

I saw these guys demonstrating it live and it looks like a good time. I'm on the fence about backing right this minute because I'm a bit poor but £50 seems a good price.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

well I backed it (Battle of Britain) since the early bird tier is being snapped up and I'd probably get round to it eventually anyway

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

JazzFlight posted:

Pretty funny development at the Cryptozoic Walking Dead KS: they got funded at $250,000, then stalled to about $265,000 after a while, and now it just went back down to its funding goal in about a day of losses and will probably get unfunded.

i didn't think it was possible to pull pledges if that would bring a campaign back below its funding goal.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Kwyndig posted:

If you're not going to use a traditional book printer there is no point in hitting up Kickstarter for money unless you have a hell of an art budget. If you're going to do like some kind of super fancy boutique print with real leather covers and gold leaf that's another valid option.

Otherwise, put up your own drat money for your heartbreaker/retroclone and sell it through a POD middleman. Take out some ads. If you want to be a real publisher act like it. If you don't want to be a real publisher then sell your drat book to one!

I am so sick of people using crowdfunding like it's a free candy bowl and then crashing and burning because they don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

i managed to sell about a hundred copies of a self printed book through kickstarter but I doubt I made any much money off it, and that's with doing my own art and every other drat thing. I have no idea how people who have to hire others to make any part of their book even stand a chance of getting paid.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Jesus Christ, it seems like everyone can grab a hold of an old movie license and make it into a boardgame these days.

The Warriors: Turf War is a new campaign based on the 1979 cult classic, The Warriors. Players pick a gang to play as (currently the Warriors, the Rogues, the Furies, and the Lizzies) and try to win turf from their opponents in a "best of 3". Each gang has five members with five roles, all based off of characters from the movie. Their pledge tiers are kinda weird; the early bird tier is the same price as the base game tier, but you get the stretch goals included. $110 gets you the game with stretch goals included normally. I'm a fan of both Evil Dead and The Warriors, but I'm not sure I have enough friends who'd want to play these.

Now excuse me while I go and try to convert the Neverending Story to a CCG.

i like the Warriors but yeah, nah.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

how dare a company charge VAT in a country that requires it

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I thought projects made shipping EU friendly by teaming up with a European importer to concentrate and lower the VAT costs so it ends up cheaper for Europeans. Are you telling me that each EU friendly project has actually had to eat all the VAT instead?

you're not getting away without paying VAT on sales regardless of how eu friendly it is. that relates to shipping, you don't have to pay import duties and the like.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I decided to consult the Simple English wiki to help me understand, and I'm still finding this hard to grasp:

What does it mean by "pays the full amount of tax", is it meaning the VAT was say $20, the maker, wholesaler, and shop pay a portion of that equaling $20, while the customer pays another $20?

nah it effectively turns business into a tax collector

so businesses charge the customer for their product and include the VAT/sales tax in the price. The consumer pays and the business keeps track of how much tax they're holding on to for the government and fork it over at the end of every tax year.

When businesses buy from other businesses it's not VAT-able, only the final consumer pays the sales tax. IIRC there's no sales tax on second-hand items either, the only person who pays the VAT is the first purchaser.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i got around that with my kickstarter by being broke but all that meant was that i was paying VAT on stuff the suppliers were sending me and passing that cost on to backers. Businesses here can't charge VAT (and basically don't count as businesses) until turnover's about 80k.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

You guys call cookies "biscuits". :barf: You can keep your stupid VATS.

they're two different things.

E: british people are serious about their puddings

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 18, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

gradenko_2000 posted:

Something I noticed from successful Kickstarters, with Red Markets and Mutant Crawl Classics as recent ones I've backed, is that while you're running the KS, you're running the KS.

It's 30 days of plugging your product, answering questions, posting comments, going on interviews, writing updates, answering questions for those updates, and basically just marketing marketing marketing to get the word out, more more more.

Expecting to put up a KS and letting it fund itself is just lazy as poo poo. You're not even really supposed to be working on the product itself in the meantime if you're a one-man operation.

when i ran my KS, and it wasn't a big one, all the time I had in the first 14 days was for keeping the thing rolling. After a couple of weeks I'd exhausted all the marketing channels and it plateaued, and only then I was able to finally get some work done. even then it was mostly on developing the stuff I promised for stretch goals. If I hadn't already finished the work on the core product before I launched I think I would have been in trouble.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

JazzFlight posted:

Mint Works is great and there's a PnP prototype you can print out (only 2 sheets!) from when it was in a PnP competition on BGG.
I'm currently about to beta test the solo mode for the designer after volunteering through the KS.

Shipping is almost nothing as well. I've never backed anything so quickly.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Jonathan Green is kickstarting another gamebook, "The Wicked Wizard of Oz", a diesel-punk version of the regular Wizard of Oz. While Diesel-punk (or anything-punk other than cyberpunk) doesn't really appeal to me the guy is great at making these things so it should come out great. He's written a bunch of Fighting Fantasy books and also "YOU are the Hero" which is a pretty cool history of the series.

Anyway I backed it as soon as I saw it being the type of nerd who likes these kind of books. If you're in the UK I'm pretty sure postage is free which is a bonus.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

LatwPIAT posted:

Trudvang is the name of the setting of Drakar och Demoner. The legendary status comes from how... well, you all know how pre-3e D&D has this incredibly legendary status among Americans as the epitome of classic roleplaying, from whence came the most epic of long-lasting campaigns about good old fun, where killing a dragon was a legendary feat and blah blah blah nostalgia?

Well, Dungeons & Dragons didn't quite catch on in Sweden the way it did a lot of other places. The role of the perennial fantasy tabletop RPG had been claimed by a Swedish translation of BRP's Magic World. So all those fond 80's and 90's memories and nostalgia Americans have about D&D? Swedes have those about a BRP translation.

Also, ducks.

is that where those berserker ducks from King of Dragon Pass comes from?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Jonathan Green's kickstarter for The Wicked Wizard of Oz gamebook was doing pretty well for a while but seems to have stalled about two thirds of the way there. I'd be good to see this in print because the guy does great work but it might not make it over the line at this rate.

I think he's probably messed up with the pledge levels (£20 for the book and then a huge jump to £50 for a hardcover copy, with the other pledges being for stuff like coloring books, playing cards, rollmats and other addons). It's all a bit overcomplicated and fussy for what should be a relatively simple project and a lot of it's expensive so it's probably hurting him. For the base book though price is OK and includes a PDF version, and shipping seems reasonable.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

people trying to sell poo poo on kickstarter should be nicer to their customers considering it's already a big ask to demand payment a year or more in advance with no protection against the very high chance that nothing will ever be delivered or that it'll be crap.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

FRINGE posted:

Ive never had this happen.

you've never even been disappointed by what you wound up with in the end, or been stuck waiting on a delayed project to the point you don't want the thing you paid for anymore?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Merauder posted:

These are not the same thing. He clearly said he's never had something simply not be delivered, and let's be honest, amidst the hundreds and hundreds of campaigns run in the Game category in let's say any given year, how many actually COMPLETELY do not fulfill? Yeah, there is a line drawn somewhere differently for each person as to when they consider something late enough to be a complete failure, but having backed ~50 game campaigns in the last few years, I haven't had a single one just end with "nothing ever being delivered" as you said.

the thing I said that he was responding to was

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

very high chance that nothing will ever be delivered or that it'll be crap.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I'm planning on launching a kickstarter for another of my gamebooks but this time round I want to solicit help from the KS people (pretty much charging to design a limited number of items, characters and storylines for those people interested in doing such a thing). For the base book I wanted to charge $6 for which you get a DriveThruRPG voucher when it's done that allows you to buy the book in a few different formats at cost or download the pdf for free. I did pretty well last time round with printing my own books but the printing and especially postage costs were obscene. Anyway are people usually cool with DriveThru in this way or does it put you off?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Dagon posted:

A lot of RPGs do exactly this now. DTRPG has a page with some information on it: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/crowdsource.php

yeah i read that but i was just curious if people saw that on a campaign and lost interest or not. Personally I like it because you can spread the costs over however long there is between the KS and when it actually comes out without much risk (since you can get the PDF for whatever you pledged in most cases) but yeah just wanted to know

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Flavivirus posted:

I've fulfilled through DriveThru and it was fine, aside from fielding endless requests along the lines of 'I never received a code from DriveThruRPG, can you send it to me again?'

lord_daeloth posted:

For me, seeing the Drive Thru fulfillment used actually tends to put me a bit at ease, especially when it comes to indie publishers or first time creators (which I know you aren't, but yeah). At least then I know that the project won't fail due to misjudging printing/shipping costs and all that. Plus, the pricing tiers are usually low enough that I can jump in on a physical book tier at a crazy low price when I might not otherwise be able to afford a big ole hardback rpg, and I can worry about paying the rest when the at-cost coupon comes in.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah Drive thru doing the forfillment is a plus for me and the rest of my gaming group.

Thanks, I'll definitely go with them this time round. I was a bit embarrassed by how much my book cost to print and ship so I ended up stacking on stretch goals and wound up making very little money off the thing.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i think you might need something to bridge the £40 and £300 tiers. Also a video of any kind will really help. I did a not particularly great one for my last kickstarter and it really helped I think.

Flavivirus posted:

Have you considered putting in a hardcover tier? It might be good to have something in the gap between £10 and £30, and I found with Legacy people were very happy to bump up to Hardcover. Out of interest, what size is the book? Digest, letter, something else?

Also, do you have any other art to spruce up the KS page with? With just the cover image and the school shield it looks a little sparse. Even a few sample layout images if you have them would go a long way I think.

e: Oh, and if you haven't already I'd strongly consider recording some actual play of the game - even a few short scenes can do a lot to sell the game to people.

I was thinking about doing this with the next kickstarter but i couldn't figure out how to make it work with DriveThru - since DriveThru handles the printing I couldn't find a way to justify charging more on my end for a book with pretty much the same content.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Flavivirus posted:

Up to you I suppose, but if you're up front with the backers about the costs involved it should be fine. In my case I had 90 people pay £12 now / £4 later + shipping for the softcover and 66 pay £16 now/£7 later + shipping for the hardcover - people are often willing to pay a bit extra to get something nicer, even when they know it's not the best value for money.

true enough. I guess hardcover layout is a bit of extra work if nothing else what with the dust cover and thicker spine and all.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

It doesn't look like a great time but i'm surprised that no one at all has backed The Book of Tor.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

im interested in how they intend to get a feature-length animation of their horrible ideas made by a Japanese animation studio out of that 1 million stretch goal

well, not really interested, i just don't think it's possible

e: it's not as it turns out, for some reason they've limited every pledge level so they were never going to get more than about 230,000 if they sold out

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 11, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

mike12345 posted:

I love the artwork

same

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

oh my

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

you could float it on DriveThru and see how it goes. if anyone bites then write more

then again you can get a bit more out of a successful KS campaign, but goddamn it's a lot of work for little if any financial reward

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Ettin posted:

Hey folks. Howard David Ingham (Chariot, Promethean, Vampire, Changeling, etc.) is currently running a KS for a collection of essays on history and myth. It looks good and I'm pretty sure there are TG goons into this :buddy:

LeSquide posted:

Neat! Totally backed.

Same. Looks good!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I'd like to plug my latest, The Sword of the Bastard Elf

You might remember it from the thread last year.

It's a choose your own adventure similar in some way to the old Fighting Fantasy books (though with different mechanics). Also it's funnier. This one also contains a light RPG for four players and a DM. The current version of the rules are available on the page but they'll change as I tighten them up over the next few months.

I went to Kickstarter to get funding for production and have reached the target, now hoping to hit some stretch goals. I did a not-very-clever thing by launching a couple of days before Thanksgiving but it's still going well. Goal is to make it about 600 sections long and to have about 40 full-page illustrations. The book will fulfill through DriveThru when completed.

Here's an example of the kind of illlustrating:

It'll be colourised if the first stretch goal is hit.

Anyway please take a look if you're inclined.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twofistedfantasy/the-sword-of-the-bastard-elf-a-two-fisted-fantasy

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

3.5 million in like one day? :catstare:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Sigma-X posted:

There sure is a lot of tits and furries in this role playing game, that bodes well.

I'm annoyed that they make fulfillment through DriveThru sound like some sleazy thing. Sure it's not heaps smooth to get people to sign up for a DriveThru account and ask them to pay extra for printing and postage, but it's hardly a scam like they're implying there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

first they came for Tournament of Rapists but I did not speak up because i had not enrolled in the rape tournament