Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

It's a cool looking game, but I'm not sure that I really need another 1v1 fighting board-game in my life. I'm also somewhat concerned about balancing all of the possible character and weapon combinations. That's a lot of design space for things to sneak through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harrow posted:

Has anyone playtested the new 7th Sea yet? I'm curious how its rolling mechanic works out in play. At first glance it seemed fairly slow and complicated, but it looks like it's supposed to cram as much action into one roll (especially an opposed roll) as possible.

It's really not as bad as it first seems, since in group scenes everyone rolls their approach simultaneously and then everything is resolved through the results of that.

The bigger concern I'm having is that there's really no reason that everyone shouldn't be a duelist. Going from one-to-one raises->wounds/prevention to one raise for ranks in weaponry is a really big leap.

Foul Weather Jack is also ridiculously under-costed. 3 points to double progression speed? That's way better than most of the 4 or 5 point advantages.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

There are playtest rules available if you back. I've only given them a quick read, but on the whole I like the direction they went in. The playbooks hit some pretty evocative niches, though admittedly for better and worse as mentioned. There are a lot of fiddly bits that might be a pain in play, but the core conflict mechanic is basically Fellowship with player consequences being tracked with a slightly more granular version of Masks's conditions.

I could definitely see stripping some parts out to streamline it and running a Persona-style game in the system.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I will say, having sat down and rolled up a character, that there are definitely a few bits that could use trimming. There are a lot of decisions to make at character creation from all sorts of lists and I'm not sure it necessarily adds that much past the elegant simplicity of something along the lines of AW's much smaller list of custom moves. I'm starting a quick game with a few friends and I'll have to see how it works in practice.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Rules are done about 120 pages in, the next 180 are player equipment and options, the rest is setting and GM-facing stuff.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Yeah, there are some things you can do that do a lot more damage or whatever, but generally picking talents that work with the sorts of things you want your mech to do is enough to be just fine.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Flavivirus posted:

So the game in general looks great, but it really weirds me out how nobody is mentioning Dream Askew here? Like, ‘diceless PbtA powered by a token economy where you take a token by having archetype-specific bad things happen to you and spend a token to do archetype-specific good things’ describes Dream Askew to a tee, but it’s held up here (and on the page) as one of Henshin!’s big innovations. Not suggesting foul play - it’s perfectly possible they never even looked at Dream Askew - but, well, it’s weird.

Dream Askew/Apart launched the kickstarter (May 2018) months after the free version of Henshin was released (Dec 2017), so it seems like you're kind of flipping who was inspired by who.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Huh, interesting. I'd definitely never seen it before and I've gone to the website a few times to grab Monsterhearts stuff.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

So I'm looking at Eat trash be free because KS recommended it and I'm usually up for Blades hacks, but I know nothing about this guy or any of his guest writers. It's also odd that stretch goals aren't included in the base pledge. Anything I should look out for is this an unproblematic back?

The statement about stretch goals should be read "There aren't any, excess funds go to pay contributors and for art." I backed his last KS, Rasp of Sand, and it was fine.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I didn't really find the design notes and initial draft on cavegirl's blog terribly compelling, but hopefully the revisions since March push the core loop and move design towards more modern PbtA sensibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

Oh that's right, I still haven't checked those! Do you have a link to that blog?

http://cavegirlgames.blogspot.com/2020/03/dungeon-bitches.html
https://cavegirlgames.blogspot.com/2020/03/dungeon-bitches-part-2.html
http://cavegirlgames.blogspot.com/2020/12/so.html

And I think there's a couple of others diving into specific deals, but they should be linked in part 2.