Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1930759690/orc-stabr

ORC STABR is a single sheet RPG designed in a cave by an Orc named Limm Ghomizar. The hook here is that every copy of the game is A) Only half the game and B) will come with customized rules, an example being someone might get a sheet with "Magic" as a core skill, or someone might get a copy with a currency system scrawled somewhere on their page. They'll also be lots of doodles and stuff on every copy.

Given that its a single sheet of paper, the funding goal was $20, and it's already funded 200%, so I'm pretty hyped about mailing out this silly game to everyone soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I kinda hope Orc Stabr turns into the next promise the world but deliver nothing while making increasingly pathetic explanations KS game

the coauthor and I have sorta joked about adding a bunch of wildly absurd stretch goals for stuff like minis and other Kickstarter staples (which, in fitting with the whole Thing, would have been like, half-melted plastic army men or, like, green paper dolls of orcs) but we decided against it. We already raised like, a lot more than we expected so we'll be doing some cute little doodads here and there, but not much more than that, and crucially we're going to keep said doodads a surprise for backers.

That said look forward to the endless orc stabr KS exclusive expansion packs coming every month from now until the sun dies

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 2, 2018

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

You should do a hardcover edition that's just the game printed on a piece of cardboard.

Holy poo poo. This will happen if I can figure out how to print an image onto a used pizza box

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

At the age of 12 I was considered to be one of the most creative/inventive people in the United States (within 98-99% according to TCAP). I have earned degrees since then in Pre-Medical Sceinces and Anthropology from Pikes Peak Comminity College; minoring in Humanistic Sciences and Midwest Ethnobotany.  I was around 12 when I began developing the game.  My business partner James Dixon used to work for Blizzard and was also employed in M.I. and is considered to be one of most intelligent minds in the US as well.  Between us, and my brother Greg 

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The best part has to be all the Alibaba phone screenshots tbh

Or the music over the video, I can't decide

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

At least two people have said they're quitting games writing as a direct result of my kickstarter and I guess I wish I'd known I had this power a long time ago.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The Kickstarter is comedic in its presentation and marketing and I guess some VERY SERIOUS PEOPLE are offended at the idea that people might enjoy that.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just cancelled my dollar Confrontation pledge just before it shuts down. Hopefully the backers at the normal level don't realize there are over 800 early bird slots open right now. That money shift would definitely bring it dangerously close to its basic funding level.

I figure I will just buy the Mid Nor stuff from someone on ebay after it ships, or in some kind of bundle when they launch the kickstarter for the game they are actually doing.

Can anyone sum up for me what's happened with this? I see a lotta people calling it a garbage fire and I saw that it dropped like 300k but there's 15k comments on the page and half of it's in some inscrutable dead language

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

what got kickstarted, anyway, and how cool were its goofy orcs

Limm's a pretty cool Orc. The main complaint and reason for "quitting the industry" was that a rules-lite RPG presented in a funny and comedic way was either "too ironic" or "a gag" or "fake" and the fact that we got 250~ backers was a personal insult to these galaxy brains.

I won't name names but at least one of these people had ran fairly successful campaigns and have writers credits on real published books. A couple of them are just no-name indie pubs with a couple heartbreakers under their belt tho.

Generally the response has been really positive and wholesome, its just the negative side has been so disproportionate.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

We joked about an absurdly high stretch goal being "Two pages of rules" at one point, but decided it'd be better to retain the purity of it on the front. The amount of extra poo poo we're putting in the envelopes at this point is frankly getting absurd and I'm really excited for when people get their copies and find all this stuff we've got planned. We might reveal some of it in updates in the last 24hrs, maybe.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Aw jeez ya'll

If anyone is going to GenCon, we'll be doing a small meetup where Limm will make an appearance and hand out copies to anyone that wants to get them there, so look out for that in the survey.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

LongDarkNight posted:

My FLGS owner who is also a very serious RPG publisher was gushing on Facebook about being a $10 backer on the project. Screw the haters.

That's dope as hell. Like I said we've had a ton of great people getting onboard with the concept and getting really into the concept. Actually one or two FLGSs have asked me to send them some copies for their shops after the KS wraps, so if yours fancies it, I could get in touch.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Is that what you took from that post? They never said straight men (of any race) were the problem

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It's nice that dude is imploding in the most fun way he possibly could. It'd have been a real shame if he just kinda shrugged off the failure and moved on with his life

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Orc Stabr is in it's last 36 hours now. I didn't quite expect how many final hour backers we'd get. We just posted an update hinting at one of the cool extras included in the packs, but if you want half a sheet of rpg rules written by a fictional orc and you've got $2 burning a hole in your pocket, now's the time.

We're arranging a small meet and greet at GenCon for people to get their games early, complete with said fictional orc and some exclusive doodads that we're not telling anyone about

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Oh hey friend.

Well I'll be around GenCon a whole bunch, I'll find some time to come to you. You did win that special rock after all.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

NinjaDebugger has the rightish idea, you'll get one sheet of rules, that have been "repaired". Here's a prototype we sent to a reviewer.
https://imgur.com/a/zt16ykZ

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Swapping rules here is absolutely encouraged. Also not to spoil any surprises, but there will be more than rules to share.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 31, 2018

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Something like 50 of our backers came from SA so I just wanted to say thank you all for throwing in on this silly project and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you all think when we ship. If you'll be at GenCon, I hope we get to see ya'll at the meet up, and if you can't make the meet up yell at me on GroupMe and I'll come find you.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Goblins will eat it

This

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Leraika posted:

BTW, will you be sending around a survey to determine what name goes on the sheet for super backers?

e: Nemesis of Moles, that is. Phone posting is hard.

Yeah, that'll be in the $10 tier survey we send out in a day or so

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

I'm being offered a choice of which part of ORC STABR I want and I don't want to pick the wrong part and have it stolen by mean gobbos :ohdear:

They're all good parts

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

ya'll ok fellas?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Minor Orc Stabr update: we put together the GenCon copies last night and I figured I'd share a pic of the process here, so I can maintain Kayfabe elsewhere.

The rest of the copies will be getting mailed out after the con, and the PDF and audio version will be posted during the con, probably fridayish.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Really glad to hear y'all like the audio version so much. I did the GenCon handouts today and that was an absolute blast too. I'll post some pics after GenCon but it was probably the most fun anyone's had delivering a Kickstarter

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Honestly people keep doing it because it keeps working. FOMO is a real motivator in this hobby

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I can't say I really knew what the gently caress I was doing either, but my KS was for half a sheet of paper and the goal was $20 cause I figured that was the cost of printer ink and I had 10~ sheets of paper laying around the place.

Things got more complicated pretty quickly after it turned out many, many more than 10 people were interested in getting a half a sheet of stained paper.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Just a heads up, first 150~ copies of Orc Stabr should be arriving in hands Monday or Tuesday. Primarily its GenCon people who didn't make it, and full copy backers right now, but I should be sending out the rest over the next week or so. Keep an eye out!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Holy poo poo, sorry about the button ya'll. I can send you a backup one if you like, just PM me your address and I'll try to make it less Staby.

We actually packaged the copies entirely at random, so that was just a happy coincidence! Glad you like it!

If I may ask a big favour - is there any chance anyone who gets their copies could post a pic of it, and the card you get? There's 15 unique monster cards out there, and obv there's, uh, 485 unique Orc Stabrs and it'd be neat if folx shared them a little bit, if possible!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Funzo posted:

Here’s what I got. Also the website is a masterpiece.

This was one of my faves and the team is gonna love seeing this in the wild, thank you

Also, what website, i have no idea what you mean, i didn't make a website, weird

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Hey, ya'll are amazing. Reading these past 2 pages has been probably the greatest sense of validation I've ever gotten. We spent a lot of time worrying about folks "getting" this whole nonsense, so, thank you all for that. Big smiles all around Sandy Pug HQ right now.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Bad news for international backers, because the US postal system is awful at sending things to not the US, we miss out on the Orc Army pins :(

Yeah, I'm kinda heartbroken about this, but we are including some extra bits for international people to make up for it - extra monster cards is the current thing.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Leraika posted:

I didn't get mine today, I hope it comes soon and didn't get delayed/stolen/sent to the wrong address somehow. :ohdear:

I wouldn't sweat it just yet, I mailed out all the people who said they'd be at GenCon+maybe 50 others on Friday, then the rest of Domestic on Tuesday. I expect the vast majority of people will be getting their copies today or tomorrow.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

So, not to spoil anything, but theres a fair number of those weird esoteric ones that I really enjoyed making. Glad to see it in the wild.

Sorry that the pin fell out(????), did you get a Monster Card too? I sent you a PM, happy to mail stuff again - same if anyone else sees this and is missing a part of the game, let me know and I'll send replacements asap.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Everybody who backed, $2 or $10, should get the following;
-The game, or half of it
-A monster card
-A pin
-Two business cards
-An adventure set

If you're missing any of these, please message me or email me (sandypuggames @ gmail) and I'll send out replacements. I'm low on monster cards so those might take a lil bit but I have bunches of everything else.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

i hope you know this is the best kickstarter that's ever been run and its existence justifies kickstarter's

I don't know about all that, but the last few days in this thread have kinda made the last 3 years of games design worth it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

We've talked a bit about ideas for a sequel, but I'm not super convinced it needs to happen - feels like it'd spoil the 'joke' a little bit. Maybe we'll have Limm come back someday though.

My name KS is the game teased by that ARG thing, and I'll be talking more about it soonish, but the ARG page kinda sums up the whole idea

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Absolutely my thoughts too. So much of Orc Stabr kinda relied on it not being something very common on the platform. The magic goes away if Limm Ghomizar is posting a new game every couple of months.

homullus posted:

You can talk about it now, if now is good. It's an intriguing image.

Sure, I have a few podcasts I was hoping to interview on about it but ya'll have always gotten that Sweet Sandy Pug Games Exclusives.

Americana is something we've been working on for a while, its a game about investigating the death of your close friend, in a 1950s small town America, with fantasy elements, so like how Shadowrun does Corporate Dystopia With Elves, we're doing High School Murder Mystery with Orcs.

There's a lot going on with the game, we have a mechanic called Your Dead Friend where the murder victim is a character that you build up throughout play by doing small sort of flashback scenes, we have a pretty cool town building process that makes a bunch of really neat locations, NPCs, gangs and the like. We have this time management subsystem that captures that whole "Ok, who is free to hang out this weekend?" thing so integral to being a teenager in a way that's also genuinely really fun and makes for some cool stories. The art and world building is just killer and hopefully something that will vibe with a lot of folks the way it does me and my team.

Otherwise we're working on getting a quick rules set ready in the next month or so, so it won't be long before we'll be showing it off in preparation for the kickstarter.

Here's an Orc in a letterman jacket;

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 29, 2018

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

jivjov posted:

I can mail you a lovely black and white, askew photocopy of mine...that seems to be in the spirit of Orc Stabr

I, NemesisOfMoles, being of sound mind and body, hereby approve the heck out of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah Bubblegumshoe is probably the closest thing to what we're doing.