Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is anyone backing the Dice Tower KS and getting promo pack A that doesn't want their Onitama cards? That's the only promo I need and I'm not liking the idea of spending $50 on a single promo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

djfooboo posted:

I’m pretty sure at cons you can buy their sponsored promos as singles. If you are patient it will pay off.

Conventions aren't gonna be a thing for a couple years

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I guess I'll turn this on it's head--anyone need any of the other poo poo from Promo Pack A? I'll back for it and sell off the spares

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

JazzFlight posted:

Speaking of the Empire, is there really any canon lore for what their objectives/ideals are? Like, obviously they're evil and want to exert their control on the galaxy (and Palpatine probably wants to do some shady Sith stuff), but I've always thought that it's been kept so generic as to not make any specific political message besides facism is bad. I guess a law you could intuit is that they're xenophobic and only employ humans?

I had always hoped that stuff like The Mandalorian, Rogue One, Rebels, or the canon video game spin-offs would explore a bit of this, like why any of the Imperial main characters would want to be a part of the Empire. It usually just boiled down to "gotta stop the terrorists, create law & order" which is a good surface-level critique of real-life jerks, but it still didn't make a great argument as to what they thought the Empire did as a whole.

I also wonder about how the Empire was able to completely erase the knowledge of the Jedi and the Republic which lasted like thousands of years while the Empire is less than 20 years old? Just really good propaganda and information control?

One of the big things to remember is that we as viewers have a LOT more exposure to Jedi Stuff than the average Galactic citizen. Randos in the galaxy would maybe know about these weird religious monks who served as generals in the clone war, but would be like Han in A New Hope and just think "yeah okay there's no way these guys have magic wizard powers". So if the empire outlaws the religion and cracks down on even talking about the Jedi too loudly, yeah, folks aren't gonna know about them.

E: compare to all the stuff people learn about for the first time regarding real world POC history. We regularly sanitize history to benefit the victors.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Infinitum posted:

The new Star Wars films are just an unsalvageable mess of bad writing, but are people annoyed with the 501st? They do a lot of cool charity work.

Hey lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater here -- keep in mind that we got the best film of the entire franchise in 2017.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1707019590/cahoots

A college friend of mine launched a Kickstarter for a heist game in zine format! Game is complete, KS funding is for paying artists and printing/shipping the product

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Got my copy of Import/Export definitive edition today! Hot take...I like the metal ships and containers, but they are simultaneously too small and too heavy. Slightly larger but less dense ones would have been much nicer for ease of handling, I think.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have any thoughts about Clinic? It looks really interesting...but my desire to Get Everything means an over-$200 pledge.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mllaneza posted:

They're doomed, but I'm in.

Hey it hit the goal, so nya. Thanks for the support :)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

StarkRavingMad posted:

"I bought ENVELOPES and they are BLUE!"

Lighthouse at the edge of the universe?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

StarkRavingMad posted:

I forget which one, but if it rings a bell for you on that front it's likely, since I know that's one of the ones I backed.

That one had an update about blue envelopes and blue cover art and is that too much blue.

But yeah, I'm really enjoying zine updates. Takes the edge off waiting for Battlecon errata and for Millennium Blades to ship.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The list of contributors was "redacted to prevent further harassment" too. Like, bro, there was ONE name that needed to be removed

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
To be fair, it's not til return of the Jedi that the rebels have any notable non-humans on staff either, other than Chewbacca. The big throne room March at the end of the first film is all humans, everyone on echo base is human, etc.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There's a definite dance to KS updates. A lot of projects I back go months of radio silence and turns out its just "Yep, just waiting our turn at the printers, yep just waiting for a container ship, yep just waiting for the bigass ship to get unwedged from the Suez" and others actually put out those updates weekly and get to update #75 with no real substance.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

One of the things is Kickstarter has a cool feature where backers can mash a button demanding an update, so you can be in a position where all you're doing is waiting on a boat for 3 months, but every couple of weeks or so you get an anxiety inducing email telling you exactly how many people have mashed the button since your last update. So either you put up with that or post an update to make it stop for a lil bit. Means you end up saying not a whole lot over and over again

Man I feel bad about clicking that button now. I always am like "hmm, I wonder how things are going" but I didn't realize the creators got raked over the coals for it on the back end

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Luke crane posted a big weepy apology on "perfect RPG" and didn't even manage to say "hey sorry for trying to sneak a known abuser on board". What a tool.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
He didn't actually apologize for any of the things people were (rightfully) mad at him about. He apologized for "sorting the names strangely" not for "including someone unacceptable"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/312766093/deluxe-board-game-train-sets

New plastic trains! A bit pricey, but look really well detailed and I love the individual theming for each set

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
What is up with every TG Kickstarter I back lately immediately sending me a survey?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I was on the fence about John Company, and meant to drop my pledge to $1 and rebuy in pledge manager. Too later now, thanks past me!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Zero posted:

Actual footage of me after receiving the latest Kickstarter big box game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRP0MBNoieY&t=78s

I'm in this post and I don't like it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
At one point he straight up called backers asking for a status update of years-late project "screaming spider monkeys clinging to his back"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Angrymog posted:

Silvervine person - I'm not sure why you want my discord ID to give me the voucher for the POD copy of Floria - it's not a necessary bit of information given that you already have my email, and doesn't take into account people who either don't want Discord, or don't want to join yet another discord server.

AFAIK the voucher is being sent out my e-mail regardless and joining the discord is just an optional perk

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Infinitum posted:

Soooooo Deluxe Board Game Train Sets posted an update with samples.

Wow , I'm glad i neglected the pledge manager and never got around to upgrading to the all-in tier. I might still grab a set of the black ones, since those look okay matte, but the green ones in particular look dire

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

dwarf74 posted:

While I'm otherwise interested in the Avatar rpg, I just am exhausted by all the pbta games I already have stockpiled :(

The $75 pledge tier is shaping up to be a hell of a bargain though. All physical stretch goals included, the only stuff you aren't getting is the premium dice and bag (basics are still included) and the special book cover

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
aw beans, what level of bad is Magpie? Bad at fulfillment? Active nazis?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ah gently caress. That blows.

No more shilling for the project for me--I was looking at the license, not the publisher.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I have only ever turned on the launch reminders for folks I already know and/or have backed in the past

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SelenicMartian posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dnlnwmn/union-station

Cube Rails, but shipped as a gift to dodge charges!

I'm not seeing anything in the project description regarding shipping as a gift--I can't speak for the publisher, New Mill, but the designer of this is good people. He's self published a number of zine games and is overall a nice guy

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DLC Inc posted:

that Senjutsu game seems like the definitive "boring game with a boring board and cards, hoisting up the entirety of the Kickstarter with its miniatures" which is a real shame, because the miniatures look great and I wish they were just their own goddamn thing as opposed to being game pieces on a lame game. Reminds me of stuff like the street fighter miniature "board game" where it's just 2 or 3 figures on a flat featureless board.

I had a completely different reaction--I really liked the look of the other components, and I dropped a $1 pledge so I can peruse actual gameplay stuff and make a decision later -- i didn't have a chance to actually look at it much yet, is gameplay outright bad?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
oof

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I know the mint game cash flow was borked, they used to engage in the time honored tradition of violating Kickstarter's rules on running a new project without fulfilling existing ones, and when I called that out, the email I got from someone from the company said they ran new KSes to keep money flowing in the pay for employment and fulfillment on prior projects -- guess it finally caught up with them

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Magnetic North posted:

hehe... he he he he Ha ha Ha Ha.... BWAA HA HA HA HA... hoooo *wipes tear from eye*

Seriously though it's probably the same thing that happened to TMG. Maybe the bull market was buoying a lot of these smallish publishers.

I don't even know why they even pretended to have that rule at all. Best I could tell, it was completely ignored. More projects means more 10% cuts for KS

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, even if they built this one protocol to rule them all, why would any other crowdfunding site want to put themselves on a blockchain project owned by a competitor?

It strikes me as the usual crypto nonsense. 'The only reason nobody has a monopoly on this industry is because they haven't built a good enough protocol yet' techbro stuff.

Xkcd competing standards dot pee in gee

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just got my shipping notification for a bunch of Level99 games stuff -- the Empyreal mini expansion, BattleCON errata, MB errata, the Grand Chronicle book.... it's nice

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Memnaelar posted:

BattleCON is the game that eventually saw me swear off 1v1 dueling games. If I can't get anyone to play my MOUNTAINS of BattleCON with me, what's the point of buying any lesser games?

I backed unleashed to play with my spouse. Got a divorce before fulfillment :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not backing this new edition on principle--after the last time they crowdfunded it and oversold and told people "yeah we're not gonna refund. You just have to get a box of expansions you can't use and just sit on them until who knows when when we reprint the base game". I had to threaten a credit card chargeback to get my pledge back on that one

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

armorer posted:

Did you buy expansions for a game you didn't have?

That's what they wanted to ship me. I did an all-in pledge and they WILDLY oversold the base game. Something like twice as many pledge slots than they actually had copies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
my frosthaven showed up yesterday, cat for scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Robert Facepalmer posted:

It is probably the 'revised' version in that homosexuality isn't listed as a mental disorder.

Wait WHAT??