Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

JackMann posted:

My folks got me a subscription a while back for my birthday. The quality of Loot crate stuff is pretty uneven. It's better these days, but a year ago, they went through three or four boxes with just utter crap. It's better now, but you're still going to end up with some crap you have no interest in. I mostly enjoy it, but I like random boxes of things. It scratches the gambling itch for me.

The t-shirts are okay. Nothing amazing, but I've been wearing them at the gym, and none have noticeably faded or torn. Granted, that's only a wear and wash once every week or two per shirt, but definitely better than one wash and done.

There was an issue a couple of months back where they had to recall an oven mitt because it didn't insulate well.

The Funko boxes (Marvel Collectors Corps, Star Wars Smuggler's Bounty, DC Legion of Collectors) are all loving awesome and very good quality since it's a variety of funko retail stuff put into the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Atomicated posted:

Tim Fowers has a new kickstarter up: Now Boarding

I enjoyed Fugitive enough that I feel pretty much obligated to back this.

Now Boarding is great. I demo'd it at Gen Con and had a great time. Very easy to learn but intricate enough that there's some variation every time.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Ooh that looks fun...

Honestly, it was a blast to demo at Gen Con.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My friends released their first game on Kickstarter today. It's an I-split-you-choose card game called 10 Gallon Tank. The split mechanic is pretty cool and because of it there's more strategic play than most games like this. It's an easy-to-teach filler game that's a lot of fun.

Thought I'd share the link on here in the event anyone's looking for a good filler game or something to play with family.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/740608278/10-gallon-tank?ref=%22discovery_category_newest%22

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That game looks real dumb and real bad but hey, if you can grift the grifters, more power to ya.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bistromatic posted:

Any more detailed opinions on that? It does look interesting and "dumb and bad" is not exactly a persuasive argument on its own.

I was referring to MAGA Country and mostly that it’s a lazy, insensitive re-skin of Monopoly with incredibly cheap looking art that seems to cost an arm-and-a-leg if you want pieces that aren’t low quality.

It’s a joke project that’s basically just being peddled to the type of people that will buy anything MAGA branded.

SHASN on the other hand looks awesome.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ketchup vs catsup posted:

the game seems a bit...simple? you play a card to the story row, and do the actions on the previous card + card you played and...that's it? and there's a total of 3-4 different actions?

I think the difficulty is In the economy of movement. It’s clearly not meant to be too hard but I can see how it would be easy to lose too if you’re not being mindful of the order in which you’re accomplishing things.

I bought it mainly because I’m a sucker for Marvel stuff and this seems light enough of rules that I should be able to get it to the table easily.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

a bit of an odd request, but does anyone happen to have the stock images from https://dreamforge-games.com/ by any chance? they have wiped most of their catalog after the shutdown and a request email for the images has had no reply in weeks. I've got a bunch of inventory and would prefer to use the stock images if I can, but they're not there anymore and most aren't on google.

have you tried archive.org? It's a shot in the dark but it might work

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ogdred Weary posted:

Make sure to check out Lawyer Up before it ends in three days.

It's all about that prosecution vs defense, and it looks like a good and thematic two player card game.

Man vs. Meeple did a short playthrough that was pretty good.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Sure, but don't they normally sprint right out of the starting gate with them? It feels that way with the others.

According to one of their press releases they said that it's happened before and that it's fine, but now that just makes people think of the dog sitting in the fire.

With the Marvel game, they started with the base and one expansion so people would just go for the whole bundle. Then they added like 7 more expansions over the course of two weeks. Then they made a bundle tier for the whole thing.

It’s designed to make you just say “I might as well get the base and expansion” so that when they add more expansions and a new tier you’re like “well it’s only a little more than that tier” and then a couple more expansions and repeat.

There were probably 4 different “you get everything!” Tiers between the start of the Marvel campaign and the end.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mojo Jojo posted:

I think the main worry is that CMON are in financial trouble and may not survive long enough to have the game manufactured and shipped

The explanation they gave for that designation made a ton of sense, to be quite honest. I can understand people’s fears but I think that whole thing is a bit overblown.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Speaking of weird KS Marketing Moves. The Intrepid Kickstarter is offering backers a "Free Expansion Valued At $30! Wow!" incentive.. but like... if you are offering that $30 to literally everybody are you not making a statement that Base Game+1st Expansion is the intended way to play the game? Are you not simply giving people at retail a lesser product?

Box that poo poo in! Kickstarters should be used to improve the quality of the final product as much as possible! If you're going to go that route simply call it what it loving is and offer backers a Base Version and a Deluxe Version. I guess I'm just a big softie for smaller campaigns that get to go "Yay we hit this stretch goal and now we can use better card stock! Here's screen printed meeples! Want some better dice? You got it bud!"

I don’t necessarily think it’s saying that the expansion is a de facto requirement to play. It seems more like a way to entice people to back now rather than wait until the game comes out.

And Fowers/Beck have never struck me as particularly bad or deceptive people so I can’t imagine it’s being done with any ill intent.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Does Tiny Epic usually underpromise and overdeliver? Because a backer update just went out for Tiny Epic Pirates and it reads like it's off to the printers and fulfilling soonish.

Think the original ships by date was March 2021.

Nice little update to wake up to.

I’m pretty sure that fulfillment thing was for add-ons of other games as several of them were in reprint.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The group votes on what happens. If you give away the game they can completely ruin any chance you have, sending you to the abyss, putting you on spots with negative renown.

To just further your interest blatantly would be akin to trying to win Secret Hitler by showing everyone that you’re Hitler.

It’s pricey for what it is but the quality of Moonrakers was so fantastic that I’m willing to pay it. The playthroughs I’ve watched for Veiled Fate were all pretty fun, too.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If they aren’t telling you about the system, there’s a 99% chance it’s because the system doesn’t exist yet.

The other 1% is that the person is an insane perfectionist and you won’t get the product for like three years, if ever, while they tweak poo poo endlessly.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I hope that’s primarily them just making fun of Doug for not caring, but either way it’s a remarkably stupid thing to share.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I got my Dice Throne stuff today and holy hell I didn’t realize how big all of these boxes were gonna be as I’d only ever played the original. Totally worth it though. The production is spectacular and the individual game trays make it well worth it. Excited to teach it to the wife this weekend.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Oh god yeah. The new tray setup takes like 3x as much space, but it's nearly perfect. They put a lot of thought into storage, and it really shows.

Which did you get? All three boxes? I'm waiting on just S1 Rerolled, Adventures, and the minis.

I got all three. No minis here. I wanted them but couldn’t swing it money wise.

Couldn’t be more satisfied though. They did a fantastic job.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CMON was given a “going concern” designation on their audit, which is generally not a good sign of stability.

Their explanation was that because the time between the spending of the Kickstarter funds and the delivery of the product can be so long, their assets are generally far less than their liabilities at any given point. They have to spend the money to start production but the full liability stays on the books until they deliver the final product.

That makes sense to me on the surface but I am not an accountant so I don’t know.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 20, 2021

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Roxley is also launching a new game in a few games called Radlands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOWUg0qwOnY
https://roxley.com/products/radlands

Card duelling game for 2 players

Looks dope, colour scheme in particular.

I will buy this even if it’s just to look at it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Unfortunately, the Dice Throne stuff can't be compressed because the custom storage trays are amazing at keeping everything sorted. It definitely looks amazing as a series of giant fake books, too. I was able to toss the mini add-on boxes by just dumping all the minis into the Adventures storage tray hole for minis. Tight fit, but it works for all 16 if you arrange them properly.

Yea it takes up a ton of room but the custom trays are so perfect for this game.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Tarnop posted:

My friend's game launched yesterday. If you're looking for a simple and customisable dungeon crawl to play with your kids, it's a lot of fun!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cabbagedan/coraquest

I’m so happy for them. I’d been following their bits on the dice tower about it and I was just hoping to see it fully fund. Never expected it to take off like it has.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I feel like I’ve heard about some issues with Cryptozoic Kickstarters but maybe I’m wrong.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I feel like the initial state of the cover was decent enough that Hargrave could’ve just reached out to Gamelyn first.

I mean, I get where she’s coming from but I don’t think the initial cover really warranted the reaction this has caused. It doesn’t seem like anyone has benefitted from any of this.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This is every CMON Kickstarter ever.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I went for the all-in thing for X-Men United. I was on the fence at first but my wife and I have been playing through the marvel stuff and it’s a really really fun game.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Was it you earlier talking about how the gameplay is super basic? Like Cloak and Dagger will play the same as Wolverine who will play the same as Gwenpool?

Like has been said, the base is very formulaic but the additional characters add a lot of interesting choices to the game. The heart is in the villains, though.

While the decks you’re working with as heroes can be samey, the decision making changes a lot based on who you’re trying to defeat.

It’s not a heavy game by any stretch of the imagination but it’s a lot more fun than it would appear on the surface. Frankly, I think it’s a stellar gateway game if you’re trying to steer a game group toward heavier fare.

I went all in on the first campaign and we haven’t even scratched the surface yet but we’re enjoying it a lot.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

armorer posted:

What's the vibe on "My Father's Work"? I don't like that it's essentially buy now or never. I may back it under the assumption that I can offload it later if it's meh.

There's something kind of hidden in there that it would be on the Renegade store but not at actual retail outlets but that may just be the overrun of this printing. I don't know.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I can’t watch BoardGameCo because the way he talks sets my anxiety through the roof.

Quackalope guy seems like a good dude who just needs a friend. I know he has Jan or whatever but he seems like someone who just has way too much time to spend in his own head. I generally like his content though. I can see how he comes across as possibly insincere but I think he’s well intentioned.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

What exactly sucks about changing the name of a dog to not offend people?

:chloe:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Spire’s End was fantastic so I’m definitely in on that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dingymon

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

Not to be completely bitter, but I was able to get a late Kickstarter on Long Shot: The Dice Game, (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/perplext/long-shot-the-dice-game/, https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/295374/long-shot-dice-game) which looks like the sort of thing my normal group would like as a lighter game, or for after Thanksgiving dinner with the family.

I’ve played this on TTS several times and it’s very good for what it is.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The USPS guy I deal with at work sometimes said the cutbacks resulted in a lot less technicians so if the scanners go offline or something, they’ll record data locally on the device but if there’s nobody to fix the connectivity issue, there might be days worth of scans that don’t register until someone can get there to fix it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Went in on the Dandelions/Psychic Pizza Kickstarter. BoardGameTables is very underrated IMO.

Great production and everything is super easy to get to the table for me.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

BTW, another insane TCG just dropped:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/weebs/grand-archive-tcg
$527,000
461 backers
45 day (long) campaign

I really don't get it. Maybe all these TCGs grab the exact same backers dropping the exact same amounts of money.

I think a lot of it is those magic investor types who loyally follow that Rudy guy from youtube and just back all of these to hold on to in case the game eventually blows up.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I bought a BGT bag for $35 at Gen Con a few years ago and it's been very good to me ever since. I don't know that I'd pay $59 for it, but the $35 was well worth it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yea the stretch goals are wayyyyy worse than Marvel United.

They’re really trying to milk every dollar of profit they can out of this thing with that giant dumb galactus.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

malkav11 posted:

Global shipping and production has skyrocketed in cost since then, FWIW.

I don't like CMON or their approach to KS, but I don't think it's fair to ascribe it all to greed.

I mean, that's fair but the price difference between the Resistance level and the Galactus level is $170 and the difference is you get the big Galactus, two silver surfer minis and like 60 cards. And shipping is not included in the pledge level cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lawlicaust posted:

Maybe for base Marvel United but X-Men had a metric fuckton of stretch goals and expansions.

The first Marvel United campaign had more stuff than the X-Men one did.