Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
The best system for running the 7th Sea setting is obviously Spellbound Kingdoms - which is, coincidentally, also the best system for running Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
This is your daily reminder that Tenra Bansho Zero is the best roleplaying game ever written.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

Actually, that's The One Ring and Technoir, but TBZ is pretty good.

fite me

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Too bad Storypath is a huge pile of poo poo. Would it kill Onyx Path to actually write some decent mechanics to go along with Scion?

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Care to elaborate?

Largely the way that the new Enhancements system, where you only ever roll your Stat + Skill for a given task but things like equipment, circumstances and supernatural powers add automatic successes (but unless you get 3 successes over the difficulty it's only a partial success) makes everything way, way swingier and more brutally deterministic. If you're Stronk Stronkson the jotun and you're trying to punch someone, you're either going to miss outright or blast them into tiny tiny pieces with absolutely no middle ground. Literally all you need is that single success for all your other things to proc off and you to get like 5 or 6 successes. Scion 1E had this real problem where people with a difference of even 1 Legend literally couldn't fight each other without it being a one-way brutal murderfuck because of the sheer number of automatic successes that higher levels of Epic Attributes gave you - Scion 2E replicates this problem in spades where if you have more Enhancements than the other person you will defeat them 99% of the time with no deviation. So much of your power comes as automatic successes provided by Enhancements rather than from the dice themselves that the outcome of any given competition is pretty much predestined. Scale compounds on this problem where if you fight something of greater Scale than you, it will straight-up annihilate you unless you have some really grody stats on your side that it doesn't have, for some reason.

Momentum, Consolations and Complications are really cool and I quite like the attempts to put mechanics to the idea that demigods are in a league of their own compared to normal people but the core mechanics are a total shitshow. The Investigation system is pretty much all the least good bits of GUMSHOE without the good parts, the Health system is like a knock-off Fate and there are still variable target numbers.

Oh, also, if a normal human takes methamphetamine and rolls 1 success on Strength + Athletics he can outrun a police car. The target numbers of successes are a little off compared to the success adders.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

speaking of is there a good Law & Order rpg? because a game with both a police detective phase and a trial by jury phase sounds really fun.

In Mutant City Blues you play actual cops, so getting enough evidence to convict without doing anything that might let the perp get off on a technicality is a big part of the game. You're cops rather than lawyers though, so aside from building the case and being a special witness in court, you don't have a big part to play once you get them behind bars. Law & Order: X-Men Edition is a pretty rad concept for a game, anyway, though. Also it gave us the Quade Diagram, which is baller enough for the game to deserve a look just for that.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Who the gently caress spends $1000 on unpainted plastic barbies?

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Okay now that people are showing up to say "Me, I paid $1000 for unpainted pieces of plastic" allow me to repeat my question at higher volume with greater incredulity: "Who the gently caress spends $1000 on unpainted plastic barbies?"

Like, if you're doing it for the love of painting grey plastic that's the kind of price point where you might as well buy a 3D printer so you can fabricate and paint literally whatever you like. If you're doing it because you want to play a game then maybe find a game that doesn't lost literally a thousand dollars what the hell are you doing

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
There's a big difference between slowly accumulating a thousand dollars worth of models/books/whatever over a period of many months or years and dropping 1 large on a single game in one go. Like, my Steam account is worth a couple of thousand dollars at this point but notably it's taken me 13 years of hardcore gaming to do that.

I'll stop banging on about this in a minute but I keep trying to get into the mindset of someone who's cool with spending a thousand dollars in one sitting on a pile of grey plastic and then freaking out a bit at the sheer insanity of it all.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Consumer grade 3D printers are not as close good as injection moulded plastic.

Plus if you're buying a competitively priced product (Perry historicals for example) you'll never recoup the fixed overheads - and that is at a lower level of quality.

The only time when 3D printing might be cost effective is if you're making knockoffs of a premium pricepoint product and even then there will be a quality loss . If you are unconcerned about copyright the Chinese will generally sell you something with a small quality loss for cheaper

Huh, genuinely didn't know that, all you ever hear about 3D printers is how amazing the end results are. That's entirely fair, in that case. So I'm not a big miniatures gamer but I was just having a conversation with one of my friends today who's just got into Dropfleet Commander. £120 got him more plastic spaceships than he could ever use in one sitting, he gets to paint them and by all accounts the sculpt quality is exceptional and on top of all that apparently the game itself is one of the best he's ever played and one he can see himself playing for years. £120 is quite a lot of money but that sounds like he's getting a really good deal out of it. Is £1000 worth spending on that same deal? Maybe. Like, if you know you're definitely going to be playing this for years and not going to get bored of it then it's probably worth it. Otherwise hell no.

I don't have opinions on whether Kingdom Death is a pile of poo poo or not - I'm not a miniatures gamer - but spending that much money on something sight unseen on a Kickstarter? gently caress me.

Leperflesh posted:

A single pair of tickets to a playoff NFL football game is north of a thousand bucks. It's not about the actual amount of money.

Maybe I'm just a loving miser but that seems flat-out bugnuts insane. I get salty when I buy video games if I'm going to get less than £1 an hour's worth of entertainment out of them.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

inklesspen posted:

Stolze has a new kickstarter called Termination Shock.

It's not for a game (though there's a rough draft of a game in the stretch goals.) It's not a novel. It's podcasts of him playing a game you can't buy anywhere.

Stolze occasionally does Kickstarters for kinda weird poo poo like this. I can only assume that he's planning on actually releasing the game at some point?

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Hoo boy it was only a couple of hours left so I reread Evil Mastermind's F&F and then went in on the entire PDF collection for Fragged Empires and the new books. I'd love to get physical copies because I hear their books are gorgeous but my finances genuinely cannot take it right now.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1296045252/spellbound-kingdoms-arcana?ref=nav_search

The sourcebook for Trad Games favourite Spellbound Kingdoms has just launched on Kickstarter. It even has a quote from me from this very forum as a marketing blurb, for some reason :getin: It looks pretty loving rad and you can get the author's 7 year old daughter's crayon drawings as a backer reward. Frank Brunner is a stand-up dude and this game is loving awesome - and you can get the original corebook for cheap as part of the KS so if you've been considering whether to get into this game or not now is a really good time.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Agrias120 posted:

Probably a dumb question, but with Gen Con looming, would it be smarter to add a copy of the Fragged Empires Core Rulebook via the pledge manager for the Kickstarter, or is it something that would be readily available at Gen Con somewhere?

I didn't get the option to add any physical books to my pledge with the Backerkit, which I thought was really weird.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

I think my favorite weird bit for Spellbound kingdoms is it going out of its way to make equipment matter as much for social stuff as it does for regular combat. You've got a nice dress and a really good fan to flick around so you can add nuance to what you say with fan language? It's like having a sword and armor.

I like that you can 'disarm' people's equipment in social combat like you can disarm people in actual combat. Once you've compared the Duchess's dress to a dishrag, she can't use it as an equipment bonus to turn up the scorn on people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
If you're not sure whether to back Spellbound Kingdoms: Arcana in its final 48 hours, why bother paying for things when you can win them for free? I'm running a competition right now on this very forum with copies of SK:Arcana and the Spellbound corebook as prizes. There's 5 copies to give away and right now only two people have entered, so if you fart out an MS Paint drawing you currently stand to win free poo poo! :getin: