Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

I dunno Arivia, "economic horror" seems like a concept worth digging into, especially in today's world. Very relatable. If I understand what they are trying to do correctly, dying by zombie bite is just a metaphoric way to die of the myriad ways poor people die of. Plus I like games in which you have to consider economic factors for your actions.

I actually wanted to listen to those podcasts they mentioned but the link didn't work for me.

The Brutalists is the campaign released where Caleb is the GM playtests the Beta rules for RPPR. Another podcast series will be released at some point where Caleb is the player and Ross puts the thumbscrews to him and everyone else.

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/category/systems/red-markets/

If you want a different perspective on how Red Market's plays, try the very good Technical Difficulties Gaming podcast. They have 11 episodes up of Red Markets and also play Call of Cthulhu and Eclipse Phase.

http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

If anyone is interested in how to develop their own rpg product from idea to market through all of the crazy trials and tribulations, I highly recommend the "Game Designers Workshop Series". Aka "loving up in real time" It's also a real time diary of sorts where you get to hear the Agony and the Ecstasy.

http://slangdesign.com/rppr/category/game-designer-workshop/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
From previous thread.

The Driftwood Verses

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565139&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=328#post460241911

Ravencult posted:

Buddy of mine has a new RPG KS that's already more than half-funded, but I worked on it and it reminds of Sunless Sea so it gets a plug.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/464014331/the-driftwood-verses

quote:

quote:
The Driftwood Verses is a gloomy, nautical fantasy campaign setting for old-school tabletop role-playing games. It's directly compatible with Lamentations of the Flame Princess and more broadly compatible with a large selection of traditional systems.

The setting was conceived as a Dark Sun-esque re-skinning of standard D&D tropes, starting with the conceit that "whales are dragons." It has since developed into something well beyond that original idea. The major inspirations include stuff like Moby Dick, Dishonored, Sunless Sea, Dune, The Scar, and the Monster Blood Tattoo series.

The book focuses on a blighted maritime region called Walfismeer. It's an impressionistic fantasy setting, a collection of symbols and metaphors come to life. Anachronisms abound. Grizzled mariners pilot haunted, tentacle-powered iron ships across a sludge-poisoned sea. Sinister roachmen quad-wield black powder pistols in hungry cities ruled by vice and bloodsport. Secretly trained navigators employ esoteric disciplines to guide vessels across a mysterious psychic barrier called The Reef. Desperate meerfolk raise sonorous hymns to Leviathan in deep-sea, whale-corpse cathedrals.

Trigger Discipline

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565139&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=327#post460133339

Claytor posted:

I've already picked up a couple of banner ads on the site for it, but I'd like to draw people's attention to the Kickstarter for Trigger Discipline, a gun sword dueling game made by some friends of mine.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/833494208/trigger-discipline

The game is a real labor of love from a couple of guys who are big fans of dueling games, and they've been careful to find new ways to emulate the fighting-game-on-a-board feel without just unnecessarily reinventing the wheel. Also, the art is easily some of the best I've seen in a game that's a first-time Kickstarter.

If you're not sure if you're into the idea of owning another dueling game, kicking in at the five dollar tier gets you a print-and-play version of the game with four of the game's eight playable characters.

Ankur-Kingdom of the Gods

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1191819023/ankur-kingdom-of-the-gods-rpg

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565139&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=328#post460258608

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So I found this game called Ankur-Kingdom of the Gods and it's basic premise is Sumer during the ancient aliens conspiracy. It seems like it could be kind of pulpy fun, if it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Red Markets

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159466030/red-markets

gradenko_2000 posted:

Red Markets is a game about economic horror.

The players are survivalists living in the written-off section of the United States after a zombie apocalypse wrecks everything west of the Appalachians. Their goal is to barter, scavenge, earn and otherwise take enough profit to retire back where civilization still exists.

I have a very high opinion of the mechanics of this game, as economic horror is represented by your stats, your equipment and even your humanity as points that are either spent directly, or consumed in the course of your adventures. Money regenerates these, but there's never enough to go around, and basic maintenance and bare necessities introduce a minimum amount of profit that you need to make on every adventure just to be able to get through your day, and Lord help you if you can't pay the bills.

The dice mechanic I also really like: you roll two d10s, one red and one black, and succeed if the black is higher than the red, with things like skills and extra effort adding to the black die. It's very reminiscent of what I like about roll-under systems where the GM never has to think about setting a DC, but with more room for advancement.

Role Playing Public Radio has multiple Actual Play episodes of the beta test rules.

I'm probably really underselling it (I'm sorry clockworkjoe!) but this is just about my most anticipated TG KS ever.

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/tag/the-brutalists/

clockworkjoe posted:

Thanks! We really appreciate the support. It's actually west of the Mississippi river, but the setting is pretty malleable. We just posted a new podcast about structuring the Kickstarter's stretch goals and whatnot: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2016/05/game-designer-workshop/game-designer-workshop-episode-12-dream-just-the-right-amount/

Keep in mind Caleb and I have been talking about Red Markets since 2013 - we have a whole series on the RPPR podcast about its design and many iterations: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/category/game-designer-workshop/

After the Brutalists campaign, I will post a campaign for Red Markets that I ran earlier this year. It's a great hybrid between a traditional RPG and a storytelling game because it adds in work/life balance (role play scenes with loved ones/dependents to regain humanity/sanity back), team social combat/negotiation (every player, even non-social focused characters can help the negotiator get bonuses when haggling for the price of their next job), and pure survival horror (multiple types of zombies - slow Romero ones, fast running 28 days laters murder machines, and monstrous aberrants with unique abilities).

The most important of them all....drum roll please....

Remember goon Chip Cheezum (of Lets Play)? You yes YOU can have what you always wanted.

Your very own :pcgaming: The Men of Game Development 2017 CALENDAR !!!! :pcgaming:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nogoblin/men-of-game-development-2017

IN GLORIOUS HD

quote:

About this project

The Grand Canyon. Mount Everest. The Great Barrier Reef. You know them as some of the seven natural wonders in the world.

When you see the Men of Game Development for 2017, you'll need to make room for another twelve.

Aren't you lucky to be living in the digital age?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Mr.Misfit posted:

Well, who will sacrifice themself to the masses and review it for FATAL & Friends´16?
The people need to know the amount of WICKedness it may/may not contain!

Wasn't Morse Rattus the 7th sea fan or was that someone else.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Edit: There's also a passionate kiss between two men in the Advantages section, so I'm sure there's going to be some grognard huffery about that.

Let me guess, it's John Wick and his clone?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He's done a bunch of small pamphlet rpgs. Off the top of my head there was; a revised edition of Cat, where you play cats defending their owners from monsters out of urban legends and folklore

...? Isn't this Call of Cathulhu?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

No it predates that by a long time. Also it's like a 16 page book.

Interesting. Thanks.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd settle for Miami Vice the RPG.

:shrug:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

Half her clothes look like they were MSPainted on top of a different piece of art. :psyduck:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Also from the last thread here is the thing I said about my gamebook KS, Star Bastards:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twofistedfantasy/star-bastards-a-two-fisted-sci-fi-adventure-gamebo

quote:

SIB posted:
Hello, I would like to plug my goon project here. It's called Star Bastards and it's a solo adventure gamebook, kind of like the Fighting Fantasy series in that it has some light stat management but it plays differently because the mechanics don't work the same way. It's a chase story set in a crummy part of the galaxy where you either play as the guy on the run or the cop that's trying to bring him in. It's effectively two 200-paragraph stories that share mechanics and game assets like item cards and the co-pilot roster. Also both of those stories are pretty funny because everyone you encounter is a complete bastard and mostly out ofr themselves, hence the name.

It's been doing good on Kickstarter and hit its modest funding goal pretty quickly, now I'm working on stretch goals and trying to improve things before the project comes to an end in a few weeks. Anyway if you're hunting around for something to fund maybe you'll enjoy it!

and here is a thing Helical Nightmares said about it:

The thing's still going good, it's gone over 400% and it's not quite halfway done yet.

Goon project Star Bastards funded :toot:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Jedit posted:

I'm still uncertain how this project is meant to kill or maim several children.

Paper cuts

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

bewilderment posted:

I backed it, and I don't even like OSR.

I like Crawford's settings even though they are bolted onto OSR. For me, doesn't detract from the books at all. His tables and takes on things are worth buying.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kilo147 posted:

Wait, you're not Herman S. Skull?

Herman S. Skull died in a suspicious workers riot in the 80s dude.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

quote:

Tanto Cuore 'Love' Pillow

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

:eyepop: Hello

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Edit: wrong thread

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 26, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

They're holding a vote to determine the next playmats they offer, and Norway is winning by a huge margin

No skyrim helmet 2/10

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

You're supposed to supply your own.

Tap that wood

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Serf posted:

New thread title is on point.

To contribute: I picked up my Fate More KS books. Both Young Centurions and Majestic 12 are beautiful books. Quality stuff, and delivered a lot sooner than I expected.

What's Majestic 12?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Ahahaha, what. This sounds like a story. Please share it.

Seconded

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
If you haven't given Hex a try it's worth a look. I played it for about a month before PvE content came out. It's not really my thing because I wasn't in the mood for a magic clone, but it's good at what it does and players really seem to enjoy it.

I enjoyed the dwarf/construct synergy.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Flavivirus posted:

Today in 'Strange Resurrections of Ancient Licenses', someone is trying to make an SLA Industries miniatures wargame: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darumaproductions/sla-industries-cannibal-sector-1 :confused:

:stare: Already funded and blew threw some stretch goals.

Always heard of SLA when the nichest of the niche games were brought up but I never knew there was this much support for it. Then again this my perspective as a West coaster and the IP is UK based.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

glitchkrieg posted:

Is that something to avoid? People at my club are a little excited...

No. Never heard of a problem with SLA. I'd compare it to the game "Underground" in terms of theme and obscurity. SLA may have been ahead of it's time with it's focus on reality TV turned murder TV in the 90s. Clearly inspired by Running Man, but still "reality tv" wasn't on everyone's radar at the time.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

That color scheme is loving offensive

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I'm not convinced the data supports the hypothesis that there is a significant market for that type of product.

Alternatively, it could be that the market doesn't exist where the consumers/patreons are registered online.

$53 a month is nothing. I've known web comic artists who have been publicly active for less than a year pulling down $300 a month on Patreon for slice of life comics.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Despite myself, these wizard dice look super cool

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/polyherodice/polyhero-dice-wizard-set/description

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Seriously, someone just make a goddamn food wars system.

The market is there.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, I need to get back to my F&F of the core book.

Do this. It's an interesting setting and has enough good ideas just with layout and graphical presentation alone that it deserves more exposure.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Flavivirus posted:

Speaking of What Ho, World!, now that it's funded I'm hoping we can unlock one of the extra settings. I'm pretty partial to Wizards Aren't Gentlemen - something about mad hermits and bound demons feels like it'd work really well with the system. On the other hand mixing Lovecrafty stuff and Wodehouse has a long pedigree - Alan Moore's What Ho, Gods of the Abyss is amazing. Anyone have any ideas of other settings that might work for a game of social obligation and farce?

Weirdly enough it was Mikan's Brighter Than the Sun that started me thinking about an RPG played entirely with a card deck, and eventually lead to What Ho, World! It's a drat shame she's not still around :(

What Ho, American Congress. Add Lovecraftian horrors. Mix well.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Flavivirus posted:

Ooh, yes. I'd be tempted to try out if we could make that work with the existing character decks and a different set of Assets and Goals, but once you bring in Poirot and Miss Marple too it's definitely a viable angle. Good call on politics too - a Yes, Minister or The Thick of It hack could work pretty well.

Heard of Yes, Minister but what is The Thick of It?

What's a good entry into Jeeves and Wooster for someone who has never read them?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hope you left the rear end in a top hat a nice report at the Better Business Bureau, for as much good as that does.

Edit: also thank you for all the recommendations above gents. :toot:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Considering how much of a kit GURPS is, I can see this being executed by simplifying further than GURPS lite. It may work well. All they have to do is ditch GURPS Fantasy 1, edit the magic system to be less poo poo and be better tailored for a dungeon crawl, and possibly hire new writers for a GURPS Fantasy 3.

It is a bold move for GURPS. Smart one too.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Oh? Interesting. Curious to see the sales numbers and how this plays out.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

I'm more interested in the Chaos Dwarf rear end Cannon.

:same:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Not to make this thread political, but if one US presidential candidate wins there is a great deal more uncertainty as to what shipping prices will be internationally.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

alg posted:

That's a good price and the art is incredible.

:catstare: Holy crap that art!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

FRINGE posted:

No no, breasts are satan in disguise!
- America

I loving hate this attitude. It's like Renaissance art never existed for some of these Philistines.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Maybe he played varsity basketball before deciding to accept the scholarship to the magic college

That wizard is totally palming that invisible basketball.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

mike12345 posted:

You americans are really the prudest bunch of weirdos.

Hey hey don't lump me in with the crazy Puritans who get verklempt when they see a nude sculpture or physiology textbook.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Haystack posted:

I'm still pretty excited about The Gods War, which is getting pretty close to wrapping up. It funded really quickly, and is sitting at just over half a million in funding with less than three days to go. The most notable stretch goals reached have been the addition of a fourth empire – the moon faction – in the expansion box (bringing the total up to eight), and the addition of a 6-8 player map. Sandy has been pretty active, posting lots of design updates and a couple actual plays of the game, and apparently planning crossover rules with Cthulhu Wars.

I was wondering if there were ducks

found them in the Elder races :toot:

Zurui posted:

The Star Patrol kickstarter is so utterly hosed that it's not funny. The dude has been hosed over by a printer after printer and finally might, maybe, have a shippable product on the way. I don't know what keeps this dude going but he is utterly dedicated to bringing it home. It's like the mirror universe Far West.

Good for him. Who are these scofflaw printers and what are their names?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

How was Motobushido, in the end? Since Gattaibushido is by the same author.

Also, lol:

From the little I read Motobushido was pretty cool. Can't comment on the dueling mechanics or details.

I don't know man, some of those like the Seraph look cool.