Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009
Fan of the old FASA Renegade Legion: Interceptor? Well then you might like this new one. We at FASA Games (yes, we are still around, with one of the original founders even!) have given the old classic a bit of a facelift with a new setting to integrate with the rest of the FASA Games cosmology (Earthdawn, 1879), more or less. The rules draw inspiration from Crimson Skies, original Interceptor, and a few other places to make a fast-paced starfighter combat game. The maneuver template cuts down the old counting hexes and turns calculation, and cards are used for the fighters and pilots.

Kickstarter is live at: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fasagames/interceptor-0

FASA Games is still around at https://fasagames.com/

Oh, and if you have ideas to help our Kickstarter, we could probably use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I was always a bigger fan of Centurion, but I did back this already.

Thanks for the support!

Interceptor was the first line I wanted to tackle because I really like starfighter games, but Centurion was a big second, We ended up putting that on the backburner since Budgie Smuggler Games is launching their version. I am kind of bummed because I really like Centurion, too. Still, with luck this game will fund as the other main developer and I have a lot of other ideas for a "combined" game system setting like RL had with Centurion, Interceptor, Leviathan, and Prefect. I really want to talk Ross into a skirmish game too, but I think it would be really hard to compete in that market.

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009

Imagined posted:

Why did FASA make another sci-fi tank game when they already had Battletech? Just curious

No idea, I'd ask Ross, but I suspect the answer is something along the lines that back in the day they all worked in an office and it was their day job so they had more time to spam out products, with a lot less competition.

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009

mllaneza posted:

So not even a nod at the pseudo-Newtonian movement in the original ? And how is that maneuver template the best idea to survive playtesting ?

It started that way, but it was a bit clunky and prone to people losing track of things. Ross suggested we look to the template from Crimson Skies, we worked from there and found that a lot of the time we were able to get fighters into similar positions as the more complex rules with less hassle. The playtesters so far have not had negative comments, but game play has sped up considerably with less tracking of stuff between turns. I agree that there is a loss of some "realism", but the increase to play speed has been nice, and it is a lot easier to teach the game to people.

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009

Comstar posted:

Wikipedida says they tried to get the rights to Star Wars, but couldn't get it so made their own version without Blackjack and hookers. Was there ever a lore explanation of why the the Naram were human?

Looks like they threw out the old TOG, Renegade Legions and Commonwealth for very-Battletechy style empires, so I hope the lore is more interesting than presented in the Kickstarter page. I really like the old Renegade Legion novels Dammed if you do and Frost Death.

I am a huge fan of the original RL setting and I've been pushing for years to get the license so we can redo the whole thing with some updated rules. The licensing is just in a nightmare state and with Budgie Smuggler Games announcing their "reboot" of it and doing Centurion, we decided it would probably be better to scrap the setting and rebuild something more in line with the other FASA cosmology games. Interceptor is a starfighter game, like the original, with a few similarities, but for the most part it is a completely new game inspired by the original. We've also got some ideas for Leviathan, but we need to make it through this Kickstarter first.

I probably have about 50k words of lore written, but that is because we were simultaneously doing an RPG and Interceptor. Of course 49k of that is probably unusable, but I've tried to edit lore down to stuff needed to get people fighting each other. The initial ask handed down to me was 5 factions. Then we had a sentence describing each of them (Cult of Personality, Peak capitalists, military junta, etc.), and have been expanding from there. I've also tried to link it back into the other current FASA Games publications (Earthdawn, 1879 mainly) without being beholden to them, but having plenty of easter eggs for fans. The fine line seems to be what is the right amount of backstory that makes for an interesting game setting, and what is too much. If I lived in a magical dream world, we'd have been able to afford to get a novelist on board to help bring the whole setting to life.

For Interceptor I thought that we didn't need a lore deep-dive for the Core game, perhaps I am wrong. If we got a page or two on each faction, some interesting characters, along with some fun fighting action I thought it would be enough. However, I can see where five factions fighting because "reasons" is kind of boring too.

Mostly though, I think I am just a terrible salesperson and none of this likely helps sell our game.

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009
Here at FASA Games we're back for another attempt at Interceptor. We spent the last six months playtesting, changing the art, and updating the miniatures.

Still no TOG thank to IP thieves, but if you like space fighters and blowing up other space fighters, it does that well.

We made a gameplay video too this time since everyone said that you cannot possible launch a kickstarter without one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_QIYSWqnCw

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fasagames/interceptor-ii

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't know anything about interceptor. Absolutely nothing. So I'm going to ask something that is probably very stupid.

Was x-com an inspiration at all for the aesthetics?

A good question, but it was not. It is a reimagining of the original FASA Games Interceptor, but faster playing. So we started with those miniature designs and went from there. Outside of the original Interceptor game, my main inspiration was the old Wing Commander games.

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I backed it and want it to succeed, so eventually there will be a remastered Centurion, the greatest of Grav Tank games.

What happened with the TOG IP?

Thanks!! We were starting our development cycle and were planning on using the original IP when Budgie Smuggler Games came along claiming the IP. The whole Renegade Legion license is in a weird limbo place so it was decided to just do a new setting and recreate the games. We have plans for Leviathan, but it might be too far from the original, but coming off Noble Armada 3e I didn't want to do another big ships broadside in space game. Have to make it through Interceptor first though. We also want to do grav tanks, but that one is trickier as I would really just want to take the original rules from that and re-use them.

The other one I really want a chance to do is Circus Imperium with a glorious game board funded by KS. :)

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Annnnd Interceptor funded this time. I am very happy to see this.

Same. I am not happy that the first go around on it failed, but I do like all the improvements we were able to get done for this one. The art and miniatures look a lot more polished.

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009
Kickstarter for the next squadron set and a Campaign Supplement for Interceptor is now live.
- Adds 10 more fighter models representing the Babylonian Union with new pilots to go along with it.
- The Campaign Supplement will add rules for creating your own pilots and squadrons. It also has expanded rules for putting together missions and campaigns to get those pilots and squadrons experience... or get them turned into space goo.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fasagames/interceptor-supplements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009
If anyone likes starfighter miniatures, FASA Games Interceptor Kickstarter for two more squadron sets is launching today (3/18) at 1:00 PM EDT. Also available through the KS campaign is everything else we've done for the line plus some other goodies.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fasagames/interceptor-squadron-sets-allied-worlds-and-free-traders