Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

clockworkjoe posted:

It's called Wield. It doesn't really do what it promises though. The whole game is supposed to be about how magic items and their mortal wielders vie for dominance but there aren't mechanics to cover those conflicts. There's also no character sheet PDF out there as a free download. You could handle that idea with a game like Monsters and Other Childish Things better.

Or play "Swords without Master."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can't wait for WWWRPG: International Incident to come out so I can try to rope some of my pals at the FLGS into a one-shot. I even bought a microphone at a thrift shop. Nathan Pauleta said in a recent update things were ahead of schedule and it should be out this summer. IIRC he delivered WWWRPG early too, so I'm hoping he's right.

The rules were ready before he started the KS (and available with a $10 donation). For the final version, Nate believes in great looking products.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd settle for Miami Vice the RPG.
Shadow of the Century is FATE: Miami Vice. Just finished their playtest so I bet you'll be able to back it this year.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Hi, I'm making a fallout rpg. The first thing is to keep Luck as a stat, because tabletop games are exactly like computers and --

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

A luck stat is perfectly fine if it's actually used in the game and the rules are open about exactly when and how often you'd be able to roll it.

A "stat" that represents luck seems pointless compared to:
-A pile of luck points or tokens
-A trait that lets you be lucky in X circumstances.

What does "average" luck mean? What does a 5/9 luck get you that 4/9 get you (unless you have a crit table?) What does luck represent that randomized dice rolling doesn't?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Played "Fighting Arts" or some huge, huge box dungeon crawler. It was okay but everything took too many options; it felt as if they combined the annoying movement rules of 3rd edition and the punitive parts of a CYOA. We had an hour and a half fight with a giant screaming stag w/ hands hanging out of its abdomen, and I hit the thing maybe twice -- every time I'd get close, it'd rush to the other side of the battlefield, where the rest of the team (who started over there) could do actual combat.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

thefakenews posted:

Kingdom Death?

Yeah, I think so.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

New PDF, maybe a completely new ruleset!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

I've heard from friends that Lootcrate is 90% cheap poo poo tossed in to fill out the box. Like, convention giveaway type crap. Also the shirts are usually really, really cheap. Fall apart with one wash cheap.

And Thanos oven mitts without heat shielding. I love getting sent things that produce massive scarring.
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/06/03/-infinity-gauntlet-oven-mitt-recalled-by-loot-crate-for-safety-r/

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've had four tabletop RPG projects that have just stopped due to the writers pretty much vanishing off Kickstarter with the money: Topher Gerkey's Monsterhearts setting,

To be fair, there aren't any 80s movies that were entire monsterhearts settings. Where was he supposed to get his ideas?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Zurui posted:

No, I know what Kiefer Sutherland looks like as a vampire. I was curious what this slam is in reference to:

Many of the Skins for the Skinless were movie ripoffs. One was a ripoff of Cat People, another was Carrie. The skins were either dull or unplayable, but the ripoff ones were blatant; the Cat People one had the move "every time you're emotionally aroused, you turn into an animal or freak out." The "Fury" had other players betray you, until you developed psychic powers to kill them.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, in Black Flag you are forced to stop your cool sandboxy pirate and exploration adventure to return to the "real world" and walk slowly around a modern office building to get unskippable cutscened at. That sounds like something Wick would do.

It's also the best pirate game ever made. And the one with the best views of downtown Canada.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

This is really MH V1.3, all the changes are corrections rather than expansions.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 31, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Over under: comes out a year and a half before second skins.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Let's just rename this forum "Sex Moves and Edition wars"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If we only played the games by people who agree with people we agree with universally, the hobby is me and Bucnasti playing solo '77.

It's also a Barn Door/Horse situation where Avery's made 300% of her goal by day 3 of her Kickstarter. People get a lot more from threatening to pull $18 then they ever would from a Monsterhearts Community Patch.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

Nothing can stop Vampire Sexting 2

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The best legal system game is Sea Dracula.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Aloha Louis makes some good points. The closer you set a game in real world systems the more likely you are to turn gamenight into an argument.

The definition of someone using the book to slow down play & win is rules lawyering.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Serf posted:

I swear there is a flowchart out there for how this argument progresses because it is always the same.

NEXT STOP: He doesn't actually think that way, he's puppetmastering.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I played once and it took an entire evening to do setup & one fight. It was a deer with man-hands that charged huge distances at us as my guy slowly, slowly moved between healing ferns.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's the thing, why preorder unless there is a tangible bonus to you the consumer?

Some of the fun of Kickstarter is paying for something and randomly getting a free present six months later!

*Stares at plush "This is Fine" Dog*

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I'm backing cuz my boy Spencer is in the preview vid. Not that he's a mark of a good gaming system as a long time Shadowrun/Pathfinder guy.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Heartbreakers must have a bad ROI on money and or time spent.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

It's <video game> but in board game format! Has that ever resulted in a good game?

Adrenaline is cool. You run around, and you're encouraged to do 2 things:
-Put out as much damage as possible;
-Get new guns b/c it's cheaper than reloading.

You even Respawn without major penalty!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

This one has been in progress for a year+. I don't know if the math works out but this isn't fly-by-night.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

This is great news for the Rifts Board Game.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What I'm learning is if you're running a Kickstarter and one guy is promising everything is on schedule but can't get you proof for more than, say, a week....fire his rear end.

Don't give money without a contract and a mailing address for the other guy.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

This new edition sounds like it sucks real bad.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I just unbacked Madcap https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sanguine/madcap-screwball-cartoon-role-play-for-tabletop. They released the quick rules and well it kind of tells you how to make a cartoon game, the system does you no favors, the playbooks only have two moves and default stats, and the book isn't funny. I'm not paying for a cartoon game that isn't funny.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Don't tell me, but I gotta know.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

What's new in this edition?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

New Masks book is out in pdf. New classes are good; some stories and rules, but quality is VERY inconsistent.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

YF19pilot posted:

Literally the first character on their Kickstarter has the "tragic flaw" of "Lust". Will she resist or succumb?

Aloof AND lusty is a hell of a combo.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Saguaro PI posted:

Eh. It's pretty refreshing seeing a tabletop game that involves NSFW material that's:

1) About sex rather than, y'know, rape like every other game.
2) Isn't hiding behind the idea that pisswizard fantasies are actually deep art, breaking the hobby's boundaries or any of that "it's about a higher purpose!" bullshit.

I thought it came out years ago.
Edit: Oh, it did.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Megazver posted:

Oh there's more Mentzer drama:

http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2017/09/tsr-luminary-frank-mentzer-booted-from.html

That last screenshot, holy poo poo.

best sig ever:
"My friend Gary changed the world. Remember him. Honor him."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Bedlam hall is a great game but it's completely messed up that other people can use moves to decrease your XP, and you need to reach +4 to actually level up.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

*Ignores South Amercia for 70 years*
All liberals love cosplaying October

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Game by a literal Chad

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Bedlamdan posted:

Man, I just want a lengthy and dramatic Martial Arts rivalry to end with an anticlimactic shotgun blast. It doesn’t need to be complicated!

Feng Shui does this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

inklesspen posted:

Cartel is by Magpie Games and MDT, and I'm still boycotting Magpie Games because MDT hasn't apologized for when he decided the best use of his company's blog was to carry water for Zakman.

Ok