Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Occult Philosophy Kickstarter is live!

This supplement adds 800 new spells for Shadow of the Demon Lord, along with some other associated magical content. The add-ons will let you grab just about anything else produced thus far for decent deal prices. Add-ons are pretty neat, what really gets my attention are the two sets of 3 magic-focused adventures designed to be finished in a single session, which could be interesting to see made.

SotDL is the best d20 fantasy game you can get imo, and I highly recommend checking this one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

BinaryDoubts posted:

Those Lancer shipping costs are insane - 50+ USD just to Canada from the States!

their first update email is about them looking for ways to fix this

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Can we talk for a minute about the absolute magic transpiring in the comments for the Hard Wired Island kickstarter where somehow a full-blown right-wing/libertarian wonk wound up backing a game transparently about how much capitalism sucks and that you should be gay and do crime and is now trying to convince people that technology can't possibly be misused as a tool of oppression while also suggesting that only people with high IQs should be sent to space so they "would breed true and not have low-IQ descendents to breed problems in the future." I don't think I've ever seen someone fail to read the room quite so hard before, it's almost impressive.

what the gently caress

Serf
May 5, 2011

fragged is pretty incomprehensible and i would pay money for a version written for humans

Serf
May 5, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

Kevin Crawford is planning to release Wolves of God on kickstarter next week.

Sounds like Ars Magica but everyone is Grogs or Grogs with powers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1637945166/523178634?ref=dbgnyt&token=0b126aa2

i have 0 interest in this setting, but i will back it so that we get worlds without number faster

Serf
May 5, 2011

wolves of god is now officially up on kickstarter

i'm still not into the setting really but it has the potential to be more interesting than i gave it credit for initially.

i do really appreciate the stretch goals section:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

Okay, but why did he use the old english form of churlish? I get this is an old england game, but he didn't do that anywhere else in the section. Just feels really weird

no clue. i'm personally not a fan of mixing in the weird old words into the ks pitch. reminds me of that weirdo who does burning wheel or whatever it is

Serf
May 5, 2011

i saw some people rt'ing this yesterday

https://twitter.com/ksr_united/status/1189656841376141312?s=20

Serf
May 5, 2011

the new backer email for deep carbon observatory is punctuated by pictures of jar jar binks and it makes me feel like i'm losing my mind

Serf
May 5, 2011

GimpInBlack posted:

Is this a relaunch? I swear I saw this game several months ago. Maybe last year? I don't know, time has no meaning in 2020, but I definitely remember this.

it's been on itch.io for a while. i think this is the full version with the art and everything added in

Serf
May 5, 2011

Worlds Without Number kickstarter is live now

pretty excited for more sine nomine style tables and world building tools, plus an attached system that i might be mostly happy with

Serf
May 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

To be fair, it's not til return of the Jedi that the rebels have any notable non-humans on staff either, other than Chewbacca. The big throne room March at the end of the first film is all humans, everyone on echo base is human, etc.

given what the throne room march is referencing, i suspect this was intentional

Serf
May 5, 2011

i suspect that it is largely a visual reference, but given that the rebellion practices slavery and incorporates nobility, i reckon it could also be an early hint at their nature

Serf
May 5, 2011

LeSquide posted:

The Trinity: Adventure! Kickstarter is live (and indeed, back on kickstarter for folks wondering if Onyx Path was going to be doing more IndieGoGo.) Full disclosure, I worked on this, and I think there's some pretty cool stuff in it for anyone interested in 1930s pulp action.

Hell yeah. Adventure! was the second RPG I ever read (after Aberrant) and this is the one I've been waiting for.

Serf
May 5, 2011

hopefully is actually a usable game now

Serf
May 5, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

what was wrong with the first edition of the game a few years back?

from the point of view of a gm it was non-functional. there were basically no guidelines on how to build anything when it came out. you could play it, and there were pre-written adventures, but designing your own stuff required you to just guess and make up the numbers yourself

the system is also very punishing and hews to classic osr design where you're supposed to touch the dice as little as possible. success chances are hilariously low. basically its the worst of playing mother-may-i with the gm so they don't make you roll and likely fail, which will in turn likely send you and your team into a doom spiral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Holy crap. Break!! finally dropped, which is a very cool RPG that's been teased for... ages.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/576526373/break-a-trpg-inspired-by-classic-videogames-and-anime

And then when the Fourth Seal breaks...

Having now read through the sample pages in the KS, I feel like there's a good idea here but I'm not totally sold on it. They have a simplified system where to-hit and damage are combined (good) into a single d20 (bad) roll, with a boons/banes system that is just +/- 2 or 4 (good) and they also have on top of that advantage/disadvantage (bad). Checks and contests are roll-under, while combat is roll-over, which I'm not really a fan of, but they at least seem to have thought through how this will work out in play by differentiating them well enough. The tone/feel of the game is all pointed in one way visually but there are some weird outliers in the text. For instance in the Skeleman series of monster entries, a potential activity to find them doing is distributing eyes and tongues taken from slain people, which is at odds with their whimsical appearance. The boss Skeleman, the Skelemonarch, can also be found in a carefree mood where it might not attack, just demand that the PCs do a silly dance or... cut off some of their own flesh. There's a rather wide disparity in the inspirations and that comes through in the tone, I'm not really sure if this is lighthearted fantasy or if we want to go grimdark. I get that they want to allow a range of tones, but I am at a point now where I prefer more focused experiences.

This does seem to have a lot of OSR design in it, which I'm into, but it is mechanically heftier than most OSR stuff. The Battle Princess, the class in the sample pages, has 4 pages of abilities, done in a very PBTA style with a clear separation between the low-tier abilities and the high-tier ones. If every class is this developed, I think there's a lot of meat on the bones for people to really dig into, but I'm not sure about some of the options. There appear to be some small issues where choices are not that different mathematically, or they have some unclear wording that will need to be tightened up.

I will say this, the game has absolutely excellent production quality. The whole thing is laid out gorgeously and information is conveyed clearly and concisely. This looks better than some stuff put out by the big companies. The class information sheet and advancement chart in particular is clean and clear and I wish PF2E had this level of tight visual presentation. If nothing else, the game will be presented in a pretty way, and one bit of OSR design I like here is that they seem devoted to using as much of the page to present useful information as possible.

I'm gonna back this and see how it turns out. I'd say it is promising enough for me.