Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I agree, March of the Ants is awesome and I'll love to have more of it!

As for Xia, can you expand (:hurr:) on that? I thought it looks really cool...

It's a game where almost everything is random. Roll to succeed, roll to move, etc. That would be fine for a short 30 min trading exploration game. But Xia admits this it can take up to three hours per game on the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The_Doctor posted:

Two Rooms and a Boom: Necroboomicon - The much beloved 2R&aB's first expansion, and it has Lovecraftian themes! If you own the base game already, this is only $5! If you don't, the combined pledge makes the expansion only $2!

If you want a little more info on the expansion, here are some roles that have already been revealed:

(1) YOG-SOTHOTH (green): If anyone card shares you win everyone else looses
(2) Seeker (Rainbow): If you see the face of anyone's card and can identify it you win everyone else looses
(3) Illuminati (1/2 the card is Red, 1/2 the card is Blue): If you convince anyone to card share with you, you win everyone else looses
(4) Tentaclese (1 red card, 1 blue card): Once per game go into the other room and pull someone into your room
(5) The Black (one pure black card): If you color share with someone everyone loses, and you win
(6) Paranormalist (1 red card, 1 blue card): if you card share and the person has a card share ability it gets negated and you take the card from them. (they still play as their assigned role but have no card to share)
(7) Necronomicon (Grey): If everyone if your room looses at the end of the game you win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IRE9unfxEY

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Impermanent posted:

voyages of marco polo is current champion of dice placement.

Good news, the Voyages of Marco Polo will be reprinting this year.
Bad news, it's still a Z-Man print run, which have a habit of being so small they run out within 24 hours of appearing in most major online board game stores.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Impermanent posted:

lol the lovely rng screw in hand of fate and most roguelikes is so completely not suited to being an actual physical boardgame.

They should really take something from rogue-like racing/Zelda-randomizer racing. In those cases, the randomizers uses a seed so every racer has the exact same random spawns. It could even function as a catch-up mechanism, giving players that are behind more information about future purchases.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tekopo posted:

I see a lot of situations in which video game developers think it's easy to develop a board game/card game even though they don't know anything about recent development in the market. So you end up with them putting stuff that would be perfectly acceptable in a video game, like quite a bit of RNG and unpredictability, and predictably it ends up being a gently caress load of dice that are chosen as the resolution mechanism, usually with X+ to hit systems. Although fans of the videogame will usually still eat that stuff up.

Being able to reload saves, perform arithmetic in an instant, and focus on a single-player experience makes many decisions much more acceptable. Kickstarter video game FTL: Faster Than Light would be terrible if a game took more than 30 minutes, which would definitely happen for a board game. Reloading saves and having a GM covers up many flaws in game design. Being able to ignore the most bullshit cases of RNG makes the amount of luck seem more acceptable.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Leperflesh posted:

I only played Thunderstone Advanced, which was a very good game with poorly-written rules that my fairly experienced game group kept requesting. :shrug:

Sorry, but the Goon Hivemind has decided that the Valley of the Kings is the only good market-row deckbuilding game. :bahgawd:

Is Roll Player any good. There's a new expansion for it out on Kickstarter.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Lemon-Lime posted:

I mean, there's plenty of space for a game that's actually (competently) designed to run sandbox wilderness adventure campaigns, because D&D sure as hell isn't.

So basically Mage Knight?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This is certainly a fair point, but it is still hard to argue that this Kickstarter isn't a good value even just for the setting. The fact that the 45 dollar level also contains all the 7th Sea 2nd Books you would want makes it worthwhile for anyone that wants a cool swashbuckling world regardless of mechanics being included at all.

I can't imagine that this Kickstarter will have half the success of the previous one but it is still a lot of high production value reads for a good price.

It's hard to hear you defend its mechanics, when even Mr. Shadowrun-is-only-partially-broken cannot tolerate it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Sinteres posted:

Sounds like someone played Dark Souls.

Every Dark Souls game has at least one ending where the player character kind of triumphs.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

darnon posted:

Or, from the other side, the Reign of Terror in the French Revolution.

Robespierre purged everyone to the left of him as well as those on the right. Admittedly, there were far fewer people to the left of Robespierre, but they did exist before meeting madame guillotine.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Conan would have an excellent chance of having the civilized people as cannibals, my friend.

When you remember that Howard grew up around 1920s Texas oil boom workers, that makes total sense. Who knows what grim debauchery occurs in darkest Chicago?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Eagle-Gryphon Games has a new kickstarter, a semi-cooperative game about the French Revolution. Surprisingly, I'm actually turned off the theme. Rescuing innocents during the Reign of Terror is cool, but I have no interest in helping Louis XVII, Dauphin of France. Odds are, even if you do succeed, it just results in an even shorter Bourbon restoration, since I doubt Louis XVII could have ever been as tolerant as Louis XVIII of France.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Antivehicular posted:

Honestly, I would be okay with the Tolerance Gauge thing if it were strictly in relation to other Mesoamerican nations, both to understand them and to work together productively, form alliances, etc. It shouldn't cost advancement points, because forcing players to spend advancement to make their characters less assholish is never a good call, but sure, make cultural exchange and mutual respect a thing you have to develop. Conquistadors ain't nobody's buddies, though.

If you wanted to be more historical, the conquistadors won by pretending to be buddies with Tlaxcala and other disaffected native groups during the conquest. Then afterwards the conquistadors decided their local allies had outlived their usefulness. Of course, that doesn't have to be anything like a Tolerance Gauge towards the conquistadors. I'd probably keep it strictly in relation to other Mesoamerican nations, with the note that characters that hate any other Mesoamerican nation can form an alliance of convenience with the conquistadors, with the understanding that there will be a sudden-but-inevitable betrayal right after the war.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

But the wording of the chart itself stymies that style of thought. In the revolutions of 1848, an neo-absolutist monarchist is a normal government supporter in Imperial Austria, but an extreme reactionary in Orléanist France. Unless they have specific empire for the game, they need to make those labels even more fluid to account for the different varieties of evil empires.

If you're going to go with a mid 19th century point of view, I'd replace the two axes with Economic Equality(Communism <- -> Capitalism) and Political Rights (Absolutism <- -> Direct Democracy), and that would still miss out on the surprising amount of artisans who still supported guilds.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 20, 2018

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Is there anything to this game besides being anime thunderstone/ascension/star realms/etc?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's a scaling resolution mechanic. You could just make it work with similarly with dice. The first success is nearly certain, but each success decreases the probability of further successes. But this method has a nice, physical feel to it, and gives the players more investment than a random roll.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Paradox Board Games is now a thing, and they're kicking things off with a Crusader Kings KS.

Surprised this isn't already funded even though it launched in the middle of the night in US time.

Europa Universalis the video game was created because Europa Universalis the board game was bloated with mechanics to the point that the game was nearly unplayable. Letting the computer handle all the bookkeeping made Paradox games much more enjoyable, but it came at a cost. They never learned how to cut and simplify. Every patch and fix usually involves adding mechanics instead of subtracting them. That's worked out very well for their video games. But board games are a different matter.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Zurui posted:

...how could you even justify this statement?

Tiny Epic Galaxies is the only one in the series that is straight up good. The others range from bad to meh. At least they are cheap mediocre games.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Usually board game theme refers to flavor text, artwork, and miniatures. Rarely does the theme carry over to the actual gameplay. At that point, when theme is the only good part of the game, you'd be better of treating it as an art collection than a game. Show off the cool pixel art and spare us the disappointing game-play. But at least Boss Monster is far better than the Oregon Trail Card Game. Boss Monster has some choices underneath the flood of randomness. The Oregon Trail Card Game really is co-operative Candy Land.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It appears that it maintains all the old problems with Sentinels of the Multiverse. It's really fiddly, with loads of little bonuses and penalties all over. There's nothing to prevent quarterbacking, and a whole lot to encourage it. The simpler decks suffer from autopilot syndrome, and the complicated decks deal with multiple layers of RNG.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

To put it another way, Dungeon World tries to be like D&D, while still primarily being a improv. game with extra structure and dice rolls on top. RAW D&D itself has always been a pseudo-medieval wargame with some advice for improv lightly sprinkled on top.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Lords of Hellas is certainly better than your typical minis-fest. The mechanics are much more interesting than Zombiecide or other mini-heavy games. But I still won't recommend Lords of Hellas, because Kemet exists as a superior alternative.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Counterpoint: Exalted 2nd ED embraced "associative" mechanics to the maximum, where game terms like "motes" and such were measurable within the setting. This resulted in such hot garbage that even the biggest fans of Exalted 2E thought you should use a different system to play in the setting of Exalted 2E.

You have to understand that 4e D&D is the only edition to embrace things like "formal game design" or "good technical writing" over the traditional D&D development process of smashing together house-rules until you get a new edition. The true purpose of associative vs dis-associative rules is to insult people who enjoy playing RAW. 4e D&D is functional RAW, and all the variants of 3e D&D mostly aren't.

Is The Final Flicktier kickstarter any good?

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 6, 2019

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Hauki posted:

I dunno, watching hyper-defensive fans try to rationalize the whole thing was pretty amusing.

The worst part is watching them argue you should ignore the poo poo because the mechanics are good. But the mechanics mean almost every single action requires a high variance dice roll*, and the game encourages grinding enemies, when there was already a low variety of enemies to fight. Seriously, who wants to grind the same encounter in a game where fights can take an hour each?

*Low variance dice can introduce risk management into a game. High variance dice leads to luck mattering more than decisions.**
** They argue it's like XCOM. But XCOM never forced the play to roll well with every action in base management or get screwed. XCOM doesn't ever ask the player to roll the RNG in base management.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Cerepol posted:

Are you saying that nearly every action having a 10% chance of death is insanely boring???

When your personal input matters that little, it becomes less like playing sports, and more like watching sports, which is a completely different type of fun. Snakes and ladders can be very exciting, but it lacks agency and input. In some ways, it feels like really old D&D. Oh no, Jonathon died. Time for Konathon to step up to the plate. The characters are so doomed that you don't even create any attachment to the individual. Just replace the name and reuse the character sheet. I can't even form proper attachments to the collective village, because of that ending.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Petersen games? Have they made any board games of note beside the surprisingly good Cthulhu Wars?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I think Minis are largely sunk cost. As in the molds and manufacturing line are hellishly expensive, but each individual mini is pretty cheap afterwards. So it makes sense why producers often require minis. Making simpler and cleaner components does not save much production costs.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

GrandpaPants posted:

March of the Ants' new expansion is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/910041337/march-of-the-ants-empires-of-the-earth

March is one of my favorite 4x games, since it actually feels like a substantive 4x experience despite being only like a 90 minute game. It's drat brisk, but pretty satisfying.

March of the Ants is a true good game, and I actually like the art. But I must warn you that they ran out of the base game. So you can only back for the new expansion now.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

FirstAidKite posted:

Any chance of them getting anymore copies in before the kickstarter is over?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/910041337/march-of-the-ants-empires-of-the-earth/posts/2477858

They just caved and started a full reprint. So now you can get the base game and previous expansion for March of the Ants once more.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The designer of Wingspan has launched a kickstarter for a cute, ultra-light game about Victorian flower language. It looks interesting, and it is reasonably affordable for Americans. For everyone else, I'm surprised such a small game would have that sort of shipping cost.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/239309591/tussie-mussie-by-elizabeth-hargrave-wingspan

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I'm not a fan of the Conan board games, but the developers are shockingly honest for a kickstarter team.

quote:

$ 700,000 to fund?

- Why is the Conan: Beyond The Monolith funding level amount set at such a high level? -

It is well known that the funding level amount displayed during major KS campaigns does not reflect the actual financing needs of the project in question. Marketing and the ability to proclaim that the campaign “funded” in an ever decreasing time period has meant the systemic reduction of funding level amounts to only represent a PROPORTION of the “actual” funds required to pay for the development, illustration, sculpture, manufacture, shipping , and the various taxes and royalties necessary for the completion of the project.

Monolith ourselves are familiar with this artifice as we have become accustomed to its usage. During the Conan campaign, the funding amount didn’t represent a tenth of the actual financial requirements. During the Mythic Battles campaign, the funding amount didn’t represent a 15th of requirements and during the Batman campaign, the funding amount represented, at best, a quarter of the actual financial requirements.

The problem with this type of subterfuge marketing is that it strongly encourages practitioners to get bogged down in non-financeable projects by clinging to the hypothetical and rarely verified hope of a Pledge Manager that will prove as lucrative as the campaign was hyped to be.

Additionally if the PM doesn’t provide sufficient funds – kickstarter organizers can begin to “rob Peter to pay Paul – diverting funds from the latest Kickstarter to service the debts of previous kickstarters, locking those organizers into a constant need to create new kickstarters to remain afloat.

So, by setting this realistic funding amount, it stops us from taking pledgers' money until the amount is enough to ensure that, in addition to completing the project itself, we are also able to ensure sustainability (ie to generate sufficient capital to invest in the longevity of the BTM product line).

To me, the simplest solution to remedy this harmful process is the reinstatement of an actual funding level amount: the minimum amount required, without risk to the pledger, for the timely and quality completion of the project.

-Paradoxically, why such a short campaign?-

Because, as with the Claustrophobia 1643 campaign, we will not use the subterfuge of Stretch Goals. From Day 1 pledger value is maxed out, what you see is what you get. Any additional content would be detrimental to the profitability of the product on offer.

So, rather than purposely removing some of the game content to put it back during the campaign in the form of Stretch Goals, we think it's healthier that this value is built right into the game and immediately visible. Therefore, we consider it a poor use of time to artificially prolong such a “value for money” product campaign simply to provide an online show. (We think that once you see the offer for yourselves, you will agree).

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The main reason to back Oath is that Leder has a tradition of small print runs. They will have a retailer pledge, but we don't know if there will be enough of them to prevent stores for immediately selling out a week after release. So this is about the FOMO on a small print run rather that the FOMO on exclusives and minis.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

There's a 11-part designer diary here: https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/3100467/oath-chronicles-empire-and-exile/news. If you aren't sold on the game after reading all of those, you definitely shouldn't back it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

People are still used to shipping costs that predate the new global postal order (before July 2020) and are even more heavily subsidized by the company.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Everything you just wrote could also apply to large roster fighting video games, and BattleCon, which attempts to replicate those large roster fighting video games. But BattleCon still plays well with prefect information because knowing how to play a unique fighter is way more interesting than losing because you didn't research their frame data/cards beforehand. If learning a character's basic mechanics was all that it took to understand a matchup, then the game is a very shallow game.

Basically, "Can I bait out your main offense without taking a hit?" is far more interesting than "I forget that character has a dash."

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 29, 2020

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Matagot games listened to all the criticism for their Kemet kickstarter.

The new Sphinx mini is 100% less horny

And they added a new stretch goal to retheme the Cthulhu expansion into Egyptian gods, though you can still buy the Cthulhu version for extra money.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

What is this? Who thinks it would a good idea to make "The Children's Illustrated Clausewitz"?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/helios-house/the-childrens-illustrated-clausewitz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

For Sale, a classic auction game from 1995, is taking preorders for a new version up on kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eaglegryphon/for-sale-autorama-and-for-sale-advisors-expansion