Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I've always heard good things about DMD, but does it hold a lot of appeal for someone not really familiar with the Cthulhu mythos? I mean, I know what Cthulhu is and recognize some of the other names, but I have no idea wtf a Gyaa-Yothn or a "Cat from Saturn" is, just from reading the KS contents. I guess the gameplay is the same whether you understand what the monsters are or not; but from looking at setup videos, and especially how integral the Elder Boss monsters & servants seem in shaping the scenario, it seems like there would be narrative/gameplay flavor missing if you don't understand what these monsters are and how they work. Or am I overthinking this, and most people just wanna fight weirdo monsters and kill Cthulhu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Yeah, in the blog posts leading up to the campaign, they said trying to tackle all (or I guess even a representative amount) of Eldin Ring's content, like they already struggled to do with Dark Souls & Bloodborne, would just end up terribly. So, the campaign is just gonna be the Weeping Peninsula & Limgrave, and then they're gonna keep pumping out expansions over years. I don't have any faith that it'll be a good game system, but... I'm a sucker for plastic models...

Edit: the expansion structure of this really feels weird. Sure, it's modular and you can pick whichever path you want the campaign to go, I guess. But just from looking at the box contents, it really feels like you'll be getting a ton of repeat content in the cards & tokens to make that work. Also, the new boss-fight mechanic where you fight on a separate board means that they've put new boards in the boss expansions... but they're all just grids with a different background?

Desfore fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 22, 2022

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

BinaryDoubts posted:

Kickstarter launching today for this... food-based 5e setting? No idea if it'll be any good, but I urge everyone to take a look at this incredible art:

Interview with one of the creators here (where I found these images) and Kickstarter page here.

Also: HELLPIERCERS looks rad as hell, can't wait to see more on that one.

I don't think I'd ever use it... but that's some really good art...

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Well, looking through the comments, people seem pretty pissed about the last KS they did about a Harry Potter game still being undelivered, despite updates in November saying boxes are ready to go… The gameplay video they did didn’t really give a great overview of how the game works, they jumped over any setup or explanation and just started playing. I love almost anything Batman, the idea of playing villains escaping Arkham sounds really fun, and Knight Games makes great looking mini’s, but I’m not… really into this.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Azubah posted:

Did angry Joe ever do the mortal kombat board game? The street fighter one was late, but a lot of fun to play.

No, and from what I saw last time I was on the Discord, he's no longer part of Jasco Games, and they seem purely focused on their anime card game now.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 2, 2023

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Yeah, I pledged to MonsterPocalypse, before people were REALLY weary of Mythic, but also at the point where they were already 3-4 projects behind. Thankfully, I only pledged at the $100 tier on Kickstarter, and I wasn't charged for the add-ons I ordered during the PledgeManager (as far as I can tell checking the GameFound page, and running through my bank statements & PayPal), because it was locked by GF due to all the questionable poo poo going on with Mythic. I can deal with losing $100 and seeing how bad poo poo turns out if/when they get around to actually producing MP, but if those charges had gone through and I was $600+ invested into this thing... I think that's the most I have ever planned on spending for a KS project, and this experience has really soured me on going above $100~$150 for anything from then on. Saved me from jumping in on RivenStone!

Desfore fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 25, 2023

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

It also doesn't help that DCeased only has one revealed add-on so far, that took a while to show off. Marvel Zombies launched with the big stupid Galactus statue that was more expensive than the game, and even if 90+% of people didn't buy it, it certainly helped push hype for the campaign. And Zombicide isn't really my thing, but I feel like most of their campaigns tend to launch with at least some kind of expansion or extra tokens or whatever to buy to build momentum. This campaign has nothing beyond the main game and a single character pack of kinda random feeling characters (I guess they were a group in the comics, but I never read DCeased)

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

So, with Hel & Anastyr being sold off and Rainbow 6 shipping,what else does Mythic still have to deliver? There's still the second wave of Darkest Dungeon content, and the reprint for MonsterPocalypse, that even PP doesn't seem to know anything about the current status of last I saw. I think Anastyr was their last campaign before the ship started to sink, so is there anything else left?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

It looks pretty convoluted and so many choices and actions to keep track of... but goddamn am I a sucker for flimsy cardboard scenery you have to put together.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

CMON finally launched their God of War game, and the campaign just feels very sloppy
https://gamefound.com/en/projects/cmon/god-of-war

There’s no gameplay videos, or even really a walkthrough of gameplay. They have this highlight section that I guess aims to explain the game, but it’s literally, “set up the game. Play cards to perform actions. Roll the reward dice.” From the pictures of the boards & cards, I’m sure you can intuit how it’ll work, but this is just a weird oversight. It also took me a long time to realize, this is only a two player game. It’s listed as 1-4 players, but I was just confused about how that would work with only two featured heroes. There’s no explanation that 4 player mode requires the expansion, unless you go into the big pledge, and examine the details of the expansion pack. Which also introduces a new mechanic with forging items that has zero explanation!

And then, at the top where it shows off the two pledge options (with & without the expansion and stretch goals), it says that the pledge with expansion won’t raise the shipping. But the shipping chart is split into two price points for each pledge. And also, good God, some of those prices.

I wasn’t really interested in picking this up, but they’ve been hyping this one for months. I don’t know how they’d make such a lackluster campaign after all this time. But it funded on the first day anyway, so I guess none of that matters…

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I only played Munchkin once with some friends in college, and they played with the "You're allowed to cheat, as long as no one notices" rule. Which I just now Googled was apparently a joke they put in the first edition, at the end of one specific rule, that they never actually intended people to play with... So, my opinion of Munchkin for over a decade has apparently been way shittier than it deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

If cheating ended the game quicker, it's a good rule.

It did not. The game plateaued when people hit level 8~9, but there was a lot of time spent double-checking every card people played, checking if they were allowed to use all the weapons and stuff together, trying to hide all the cards you're holding to avoid discarding. The cheating was kinda fun at first, and it did feel like it fit with the goofiness of the game, but when people got close to winning it just devolved into running a checklist each turn.