Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He's done a bunch of small pamphlet rpgs. Off the top of my head there was; a revised edition of Cat, where you play cats defending their owners from monsters out of urban legends and folklore, one where you play group of children in an abandoned industrial town where the only adult is a creeping horror and one where you play as characters in a soap opera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

cptn_dr posted:

This sounds pretty interesting - do you remember what it's called?

Found it, http://johnwickpresents.com/product/schauermarchen/

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Early in development it was, but Steve Jackson didn't like Pip Boy so he rescinded the license. SPECIAL is its own, but similar, creation.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Would explain why Mantic's contract was strictly the comic books. Wasn't Cryptozoic's Ghist Buster games kind of garbage though?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Merauder posted:

Yeah, they're looking at restructuring it and probably relaunching altogether. It's a solid enough game, and the designers (the Sadlers) have a lot of good reputation, but the layout of the campaign I think put off a lot of people. Hopefully they improve it with whatever they're doing going forward.

I think what's hurting it more is that they're trying to fund it less than four months after Mantic's TWD game and have to base it on the show which has started a decline in popularity on top of pissing off most of the still loyal fans with that last cliffhanger.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Got my copy of Phoenix today. Art on the tarot cards is super beautiful and the book clocks in at a 450 page monster and that's with very little art in the book itself.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe Kickstarter should look into some sort of Romani curse removal or something, so many of their successfully funded kickstarters end up with lengthy hospital stays.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe I'll finally get the complimenting pieces to the copy of GURPS: Myth the Fallen Lords I bought 15 years ago.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I like the box, but in not sure it will make it to production. Jack Daniels is very protective of their labeling.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They have sent C&D for mimicry of their trade dress before. They are generally pretty cool about it though. There was a book a few years ago that tried it and were told they had to change it for their second printing, or if they were willing to recall and reprint sooner, JD was willing to supply some of the revenue for it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mr.Misfit posted:

How so? AssCreed 2 was a good game, how is that wickian?

Well the ending to AC2 was definitely something Wick would have thought to do in a tabletop game.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, I was tempted since a sci fi dungeon crawler sounds good, but I wasn't thrilled with Dungeon Saga and Siege of the Citadel currently has a reboot kickstarter anyway. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/274643038/siege-of-the-citadel-2nd-edition-techno-fantasy-bo/posts/1691802

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

8one6 posted:

I know this is a bit more niche than most of the stuff in the thread but Fat Dragon Games, who have been selling PDFs to print card stock tabletop terrain is running a kickstarter for 3d village terrain. It's their second KS for something like this, the first was for dungeons and caverns sets and are on drivethru.

I got to see the pieces printed out at Gen Con and they look great.

I was tempted by this, I just couldn't think of enough used to justify a $600 3D printer.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Then you're in luck. This is a version of the printer used by the guys who did the previous printed terrain KS (I can't recall their company name at the moment.)

That's a good one but it can't handle all of the templates from the KS. You need the $600 version to be able to print everything.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

8one6 posted:

With an 8x8x7 build area it should handle everything in the Fat Dragon ks. The Maker select he linked to is not the Printrbot play they talk about in the FAQ. That's this one.

Edit:

That's part of how I justified buying a 3d printer myself.

Have they actually gotten to that quality level?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

thespaceinvader posted:

Given that it seems to be straight up using x-wing templates is there any reason I can't play this game with x-wing stuff, whatever it is?

If you have enough movement templates sure I guess, but I think the idea is that the movement templates stay on the board to create obstacles for you and others, like Tron motorcycles.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't know if this one has been mentioned yet, this is a KS for a skirmish game that might appeal to fans of Labyrinth and/or Tony Diterlizzi;

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1138228733/moonstone-fantasy-skirmish-game

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Doesn't that nightmare things faction still need minis?

A couple factions still need minis, they were added to the range to capitalize on Warhammer imploding.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Illimat is down to the last few hours
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twogetherstudios/illimat

If you haven't checked it out, it's a card game created by The Decembrists to kill time between shows and fleshed out by Keith Baker of Eberron and Phoenix: Dawn Command fame. They wanted to create a game that feels like something you would play in the back room of gentlemen's clubs 2-300 years ago.

The card art is done by the the band's official illustrator and has a beautiful old timey feel it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Or giant slugs made entirely out of tentacle dicks and surrounded pregnant naked women.

But the game play itself is pretty bad, 90% of the random events are "roll a d10, on a 1-3 you die horribly, on a 8-10 you get a bonus". The game ends if your settlement survives 40 years and then your lanterns all go out and you die.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 11, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Desiden posted:

So what's out there for those of us who might want a sorta dark fantasy game a la Kingdom Death with lots of cool grotesque models, but not all the baggage? Like, something that actually has gameplay that's not completely random, has weird creature designs (with or without tits, but not trying to make boobies and poop jokes its "mature" selling point), and has a neat sort of setting? The Dark Souls KS kinda looked like it might fit the bill, but talk of the gameplay made it sound like a dud. Anything else out there?

You can try Privateer Press' The Undercity. It's a Descent clone with body horror main antagonists. And if you don't mind modern fantasy The Others is in stores now. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/the-others-7-sins?ref=discovery

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Randalor posted:

I just hope that Wyrd isn't doing a "Back on day 1 to get exclusive minis" thing. I'm going on a cruise and won't have access to internet until a few days into the campaign. I'm not a fan of the Gibbering Hoards, but drat if I'm not interested in the other factions.

That hasn't really been there thing. The offer alternate KS exclusive sculpts for Malifaux models but they're available for the full campaign in certain tiers.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Randalor posted:

They had a LE sculpt or an extra adventure for early backers of Through the Breach, but I think they also extended the window for that to people who backed in the first 7 days. They mention Early Backer rewards on the page for Through the Breach, but I'm too lazy to go through the updates to see what the offer was.

Oh yeah, I see that now. Sorry for getting that wrong. On the plus side they put their LE sculpts for sale 2-3 times per year if you like the look of them. Apparently the Miss Terious I bought on Black Friday was the reward for pledging in the first week of Through the Breach.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It looks like the base mechanics will be like Malifaux;
uses a poker deck instead of dice
each unit gets a stat card with everything you need printed on it like their attacks and what bonuses you can get by matching suits to the type of attack- Like most Strength attacks do bonus damage if you get a ram(heart)

The differences seems to be
Rank and File are multibased instead of independent models(though the multibases use a peg system instead of the models being integrated into the multibase)
Instead of morale being a detriment, all cards have a flip side with better stats and abilities if you can inspire them to glory
There looks to be a token system that hasn't been explained much

Also to note, all the models are one piece pvc so no assembly required.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The Other Side aren't single piece sculpts. They're clipped from sprues and assembled at Wyrd. They said after the game launches they will have unclipped sprues available to order from their site.

I'm in for the two commander pledge but I don't really blame anyone for hesitating. This is a kickstarter from a company that knows full well that LGS sales are their lifeblood and don't want to undercut that too much.

I say, if you're on the fence, give it a pass. The full game will be up on vassel in a year when you can get all the stuff for cheaper just without a few bells and whistles.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, I won't be heart broken if they've canceled a few board games to support The Other Side better. Their non-mini games so far have swung between middling and bad. They seem to have a clear focus for TOS and have a good grasp on a fun rule set for it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
How did the Conan Game turn out? My LGS has a copy and the final box did look pretty quality.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Depends on the sculpt for the kickstarter exclusive Harley Quin/Poison Ivy models.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
With another CMON KS about to end its time to play a game of 'just how many pop culture jokes did they cram into the exclusive stretch goals'. So far we have
Eowyn
George Michael
Lemmy
Bavmorda
Ragnar
Lagertha
Prince
Thulsa Doom
Valeria
Mohammed Ali
Wolverine
Freddie Mercury
Furiosa
The Stranger Things cast plus demogorgon
Iron Man
The Black Knight
Carrie Fischer
Old Dracula
Shape
Storm
Wonder Woman
Ziggy Stardust
V
And Nux

Oh and a timely Covfeffe joke

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I kind of got burned out on the exclusives on the modern Zombicide, but at least they make a little sense there. This time around, the majority of the exclusives are pretty bad and really don't fit in at all. Yet, the backers are raving about them. :shrug: I'll sell mine off on Ebay to the weirdos who want a Dwarf not-Wolverine and pay for the core game.

Yeah, of the list I actually like The Stranger Things models since it's the kids dressed up like their DnD characters, Thulsa Doom, Lemmy and Bavmorda since they actually feel like they could be a part of the game.

I imagine there's some lines the lawyers won't let them cross. It's a board game about an ork horde decimating the country side and not a single Warcraft model to be found.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Not a bad racket, buy 500 yen from a bank for $4 and turn around and sell it for $17.50..

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mojo Jojo posted:

Yeah I played the first couple of tutorial maps which were incredibly tedious then I looked at the full rules and was gobsmacked at how half arsed they were.

That said the tiles and minis are the major expense, so they should be able to start from scratch to make something fun and sell a few decks of cards and a book

I wouldn't hope too much, they recently released some updated rules and didn't even touch the biggest complaints. Namely most missions take near perfect rolling and turn management to even stand a chance at beating them.

I think Mantic's biggest weakness is that they're all over the place when it comes to feedback. Dungeon Saga they tried to incorporate everyone's opinions and end up with a schizophrenic mess, Warpath they refused to listen to what their backers wanted and they release a version of the game no one wants to play and the version people do want to play is a half assed mess.

Their tightest game is probably Walking Dead and that's probably because everything about the game had to be submitted and approved so their was someone with an actual vision guiding development.

That said, I probably would have still backed Star Saga if I hadn't already backed Deep Madness. Similar game but DM has a better vision of what they're doing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FMguru posted:

I imagine even the people who paid into it six years ago have long since given up and moved on with their lives

What a fiasco.

Well the creator certainly has.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I hadn't seen this mentioned but apparently Pinnacle is going to revive Doomtown via Kickstarter starting on the 5th. Sounds like they're revamping the game a bit;

Doomtown: Reloaded is a poker-driven territory control card game, based on the 1998 Origins Awards Best Trading Card Game, Deadlands: Doomtown!

Now you can harness the power of Ezekiah Grimme (Famine), Raven (War), Darius Hellstromme (Pestilence), or Jasper Stone (Death). Beware though, such power always comes at a cost as Legends trade starting wealth in exchange power. You now have the option to attach a Servitor to your Outfit’s home in order to enable far-reaching strategies.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Where's your source for this? Huge Doomtown fan.

Pinnacle's website https://www.peginc.com/kickstarters/

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Legacy just pushed on update, the game books are all staying royal sized after all.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Though I did see that Paizo started putting softcover royal sized versions of the core PF books.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's a game, but this looks like really thematic kickstarter that could be good for ideas/in game handouts.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408659990/the-crawling-king

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Memnaelar posted:

It's a real bummer. I mean, he finally did get that PDF out and it was pretty great. He got a lot of praise and really seemed re-energized and thankful.

But now, the print books are still in limbo and the other work he's pledging to do is also falling by the wayside. It's a real shame, as he's clearly talented and does seem to care very much about the work. Whatever other issues he's dealing with personally, they must be pretty crippling.

Kickstarter must be the most effective vector ever for the spread of serious, life crippling health issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

dwarf74 posted:

Great news, everyone. If you were feeling a void in your heart where the Book of Erotic Fantasy once lived, here's something similar for 5e.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1494851610/erotic-adventures

I wonder if this will be the same as the last Book of Erotic Fantasy and will be a bad copy/paste job from the EnD Guide to Sex Netbook.