Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

dwarf74 posted:

I really, really wish I didn't hate the 7th Sea 2e rules system.

How do you feel about FFG's Rpg mechanics? They put up open beta sign ups for the L5R rpg reboot.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/26/legend-of-the-five-rings-rpg-beta/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mors Rattus posted:

The Otaku family were there first.

And neither were as bad as using heimin/heinin.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am currently backing the 7th Sea Khitai kickstarter at the all PDF level and I am torn. While what I an getting right now is probably worth what that costs to me, it is close enough that I have to consider not backing. I love everything produced for the first 7th Sea kickstarter, but this one seems to have so much less direction.

If they can get all the way to Not China I will back for sure.

Yeah, I figure we'll make it there, I'm just hoping it ends close enough to the Korean sourcebook that pledge manager extras make it there.

I will warn people about getting physical add ons. I knew a few that went all in on the 7th Sea and there's nothing but disappointment with the dice.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sinteres posted:

Sounds like someone played Dark Souls.

Did you ever watch or read Berserk? KD:M is pretty much the ending to the Golden Age arc but interpreted through the "That's My Fetish" meme.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Three out of five dickgirls, at least according to the Kinsey scale.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

golden bubble posted:

Eagle-Gryphon Games has a new kickstarter, a semi-cooperative game about the French Revolution. Surprisingly, I'm actually turned off the theme. Rescuing innocents during the Reign of Terror is cool, but I have no interest in helping Louis XVII, Dauphin of France. Odds are, even if you do succeed, it just results in an even shorter Bourbon restoration, since I doubt Louis XVII could have ever been as tolerant as Louis XVIII of France.

You find the idea of preventing a 10 year old from dying of pneumonia in prison distasteful?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

That Old Tree posted:

Was Aeon really the most popular? It seems like Aberrant got as much or more attention, though it's difficult to tell either way.

It probably just seems that way since, when the next line was released, the previous was considered complete.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Merauder posted:

I have a bunch of their Wizard dice. I certainly only use them in RPG settings where no one else has to read my dice, because some of them truly are a pain in the rear end to read. Some also make me question their randomness (and thus their core reason for existence) after their ability to hit the same number time and time again without trying. Yeah, tiny sample size, truly random, etc., but they definitely "feel" like their outputs are unlike traditional polys, even if it's partially in my head.

They probably aren't, if chessex can't reliably create balanced square die with years of practice I seriously doubt they can either. Not that the dice aren't cool and have their uses in friendly games.

Seriously any opaque die is likely going to be thrown off by any number of imperfections in the curing process. If you're ever curious as how balanced your dice are, and want something a little more accurate than rolling it a bunch, get a bowl of warm water and dissolve salt in it until the die is buoyant. If the die consistently bobs to the same few sides up its unbalanced.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, the way around it is doing multi-part models which most people won't do since board games need to be playable straight out of the box. The only KS I've seen with people doing both is The Other Side and they're doing multipart and assembling in house before they ship them out.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Guy Goodbody posted:

broke: Cyberpunk
woke: Orgonepunk

Bespoke: OregonPunk

A tale of a band of social undesirables in a dystopian America taking the trail from Missouri to the free state of Oregon.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Darn. It's going to be running at the same time as Mantic's Hellboy game. I guess I'll wait and see which one to back, but I was already wary about sending money to Britain for products that might not arrive before Brexit takes effect.

Yeah that's going to be tough. Zombicide will have a lot of KS exclusives and be delivered quicker but, unlike Mantic's Hellboy, you'll at least be able to walk into a store and buy the game.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah i's not a good game. Just...play gloomhaven? More seriously someone needs to do a beer and pretzel dungeon crawler that isn't bad. I think Imp rear end is the best effort?

Imp rear end is good, but it's future isn't. The last actual release for both it and Runewars was November and they haven't announced anything new for either of them. It seems up in the air if they just paused both to focus capitol on their Star Wars skirmish game or letting it replace them entirely.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Knight Models seems like an alright but overly ambitious company that constantly over reaches in terms of IP and production.

Honestly I'm starting to think it's a business plan for them. You can probably shave some cost on a licensing deal by only signing to a short duration. Once you've got some stuff out determine whether it's worth negotiating for a longer contract. Works for the company but screws over anyone that invests in their games.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bedlamdan posted:

Why would anyone want slavery in their motherfuckin’ game about Cowboys vs Zombies? It’s a fantasy game, so why not focus on good times instead of seriously asking yourself about whether or not it’s okay for a racist NPC to use racist slurs on a black PC, who is probably played by your Chinese friend?

Besides, slavery ended in Deadlands because it promoted the weird zombie poo poo?

Did they change that recently? For the longest time their reason for slavery ending was because it was Jefferson Davis' intention all along. At least until he was killed and replaced with a doppelgänger that perpetuated the practice to cause dissent. Then after it was killed it was ended by his Vice President, you know the guy that gave the Cornerstone of the Confederacy speech.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 13, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LatwPIAT posted:

See also: Malcom Reynolds.

Is it really apologia though? I don't say this to diminish the terribleness of the cause of the war but it seems overly simplistic to paint the soldiers that fought in the war and the politicians that started it with the same brush. There wasn't really a conscientious objector status available.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LatwPIAT posted:

Mal is not a reluctant or apolitical soldier who happened to fight for the Space Confederacy: he's a true believer in the Space Confederacy cause.

I wasn't really talking about Mal though, there's no argument from me that Firefly has aged into unwatchable territory. I was just replying to the latest post on the topic, I'm sorry I realize it might be confusing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well for one, the holiday to celebrate the end of the space civil war is called Unification Day and Mal says at least once We will Rise Again.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

jadarx posted:

There's a scene in one of the Beast Rises novels where ork ships cut open troop transports with giant buzzsaw arms and vent all the soldiers into space.

There was also a Death Star shaped like a giant ork head that screamed at planets until they exploded.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm surprised they made it through production. Most of the art wasn't even trying to hide it was copy pasted from SF/MK.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DalaranJ posted:

This looks much better than the original. Except are the bridges still trapped? That’s important.

These guys need to remake Dark Tower or the Omega Virus.

Polygon just posted an interview with the head designer about the companies efforts to adapt and update the game https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/3/17192544/fireball-island-remake-board-game

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think I missed any discussion on Black Rose Wars, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lmstudio/black-rose-wars , looks like a Renaissance take on Mage Wars? Does anyone have a read on it?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Tangentially related to TG kickstarters, Amazon has ordered 8 episodes of a Tales from the Loop series.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/tales-from-the-loop-amazon-studios-orders-genre-series-based-simon-stalenhag-art-1202427982/amp/

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Impermanent posted:

kickstarting later in the year means you have to pay the taxes on the money sooner in america, and you have less time to do things with that money that could get you tax breaks.

Plus a project in late summer or fall gives you less time to get things done before the Chinese factories take the extended new year break.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Deep Madness https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diemensiongames/deep-madness?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=Deep%20madness has announced that the game is going end up being Kickstarter exclusive about 2-3 weeks before backers start receiving their copies. They’ve said the final production costs were too much to make the game affordable on the retail level. They also announced they doing a KS for a second printing launching in November and establish a universe with a prequel based skirmish game kickstarting in 2019. They’re describing the game setting as a sort of Hyborean Age/first age of man style thing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I know Cthulhu is horribly overplayed but "Cthulu vs barbarians" is something I very muchly want

It is, but unfortunately I was conflating two projects. The ancient age of earth game is Celestial and has a severe case of body horror sexy dimorphism. Like half the models released so far are barely dressed women with various techno/organic accessories and the other half are humanoid playdough monsters.

Which is a shame because I actually do like The Queen of the Void https://shop.celestialgame.com/products/queen-of-the-void because it veers well enough into uncomfortably alien territory.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 18, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Got my Legacy 2nd in the mail a few days ago. So glad I splurged on the collectors edition, the box set for the settings and the player handouts. They’re all beautiful.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mugaaz posted:

You know there are like actual people who prefer miniatures games to everything else, right? Backing these exclusively to flip seems like horrific value. It takes over a year, the shipping costs are usually very high, and then you have the risk and delays associated with any kickstarter.

There’s a large market for flipped mini KS projects on eBay, especially for CMON. The free stretch minis usually sell for $15-25 apiece to people that missed the KS. And I know there were a few goons that heavily into the Bones kickstarters for that express purpose.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The FAQ says that backers of all levels will be the first to see the shorts, they may not be planning to monetize them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

moths posted:

I googled this and holy poo poo - they'd have been better off with blank space.

Jesus, I thought the doll art was just hyperbole.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Looks like Wick sold the rights to 7th Sea to Chaosium so the line has a publisher and capital to finish the Kickstarter again.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

potatocubed posted:

I don't know about the other two, but I have played Bloodborne and the name 'bell-ringing woman' gives me a Pavlovian twitch response.

(They resurrect dead enemies in the area until you find them and kill them.)

And you hear them quietly weeping and ringing the bell long before you usually see them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It feels like he heard an anecdote 20 years ago and hasn’t been able to get it out of his head since.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

theironjef posted:

Man I hope that's a way of saying a playful slap, instead of like, bumping.

Maybe it's a defense card to use when someone plays the sack tap card. Haha, jokes on you, I'm harder than a diamond in an ice storm!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

That Old Tree posted:

I think he announced not long ago they they've got a layout/art team lined up, so I guess the manuscript is mostly done.

Maybe some, but he announced in June that the setting material was still in preliminary draft phase and were looking to hire artists.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
One just ended in the beginning of November, they're still taking late pledges here https://pm.reapermini.com/session/new though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

dwarf74 posted:

Does Deck of Legends still count? :)

Otherwise, my longest wait is Project: Dark which is only a little less delayed than Far West, in the scheme of things.

My longest wait, other than a movie that they announced was DoA 3-4 years ago, is Broken World. A goon run game about 5 years over due and the last update was over 2 years ago.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Thanlis posted:

Mixed bag IMHO. He's not saying that the original usage was a mistake, but he does seem to be aware of why it's a bad idea to some degree. Obviously if it's uncomfortable for some players now, it was uncomfortable for them a decade ago, so he's not being consistent.

He's been doing a bit of white-washing since the very beginning. The original CSA sourcebook has a blurb about Jefferson Davis intending to end slavery over the objections of the plantation owners but oops eaten by a doppelganger. Though up until 2016 a lot of people were willing to romanticize certain concepts of the CSA in a way that only works when something like that is way in the past and it had been like that for a while. Wild west fiction is full of it, one of the bigger nerd franchises of the last 20 years is predicated entirely on a Quantrill's Raiders analog fighting the good fight against the evil North and one of the best movies of '07 painted one of the more vicious CSA raiders as a romantic , tragic figure.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dawgstar posted:

Then do beware Outlaw Star which also features a first episode with finding a Special Girl in a box. But watch Outlaw Star because it slaps.

Plus it also did the Chinese dominating colonization first and actually had Chinese people in the show. It also just got a blu ray remaster a year or two ago.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

graventy posted:

$53 for just the catapult. Which seems kind of neat, but I don't think it seems $53 neat.

You got a lot more for $60 when Parker Brothers made this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Joe Slowboat posted:

I like knuckle bone dice, they have a nice feel to them and they roll nicely in my experience. I’ve got like, one.

Same, I even remember buying it at a weird little hobby shop kiosk at the mall that lasted like 4 months 20+ years ago.