Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
A question for the Kickstarter connoisseurs here: I'm making a card-based RPG and plan on kickstarting it soon (game's page is here). With the actual production of the card decks, I have two main options:

1) Bulk-print the decks complete with full-colour tuckbox, get them shipped to me, then ship them to backers for a total cost to backers of ~£11 + pledge cost.
2) Give backers coupon codes to get the deck printed at-cost, put in clear plastic deckboxes and shipped to them for £6 + shipping (ranging between £4.8 for US to £13.8 for Australia) - total cost to the backer of £11-£20 + pledge cost.

Number 1 has the benefit of better value for backers and gives me a stock of decks to sell through my website and at conventions, but come with a higher risk of international shipping (via Royal Mail) screwing things up for me and giving me lots of work posting parcels. Number 2 puts all the fulfillment work in the hands of professional card printers and shippers and means I don't need to worry about a minimum deck print run, but at a greater cost to backers and with a less well-presented product at the end.

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Having listened to the Red Markets author talk through his process of shaping his own Kickstarter, it's my understanding that option #1 would only really work if you can guarantee that you can sell enough of your product to justify the up-front cost of having it bulk-printed.

You might be able to swing it if you also use KS as a "pre-order guarantor" - that funding the KS means you have enough money to pay for the bulk-printing AND you have enough customers that you won't be stuck with a warehouse-load of unbought product, but I got the impression that that would be expensive enough that your KS goal would have to be in the high-five-digit range.

Shifting to bulk print as a stretch goal makes sense, though I'm not sure how you'd factor that into the kickstarter - once someone's backed at a pledge level you can't edit its price or anything. I guess I'd better have a look at how Red Markets has done things.

The expenses involved aren't too bad; if I'm aiming for at least 250 backers getting decks it comes out as an average pledge (including shipping) of £15 going the bulk printing route. With the PoD route I'm getting much less towards my pledge total per backer as most of the costs are deferred until the things are actually being printed, but my goal wouldn't need to be nearly as high - the average pledge would only need to be £5, for a final cost to the backer of £16-£25. My last kickstarter got 323 backers and £4,246, so hopefully that goal isn't too unrealistic. In each case people just backing to get the rules and print-and-play files or getting the high-level luxury tiers would add a lot to the goal without adding much in the way of extra costs.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

clockworkjoe posted:

This is a tough question to answer but it depends on what level of risk you are willing to take and what kind of support you think you will get. Option 1 is riskier to you because it requires investment and more effort but ideally you should print enough copies that have enough leftover to sell via distribution after the Kickstarter. Option 2 is safer, but less attractive to backers and other customers. So you should answer these questions to decide:

1. How much risk are you willing to invest in this project, in terms of time and money?

2. Are you comfortable with storing boxes of unsold cards either at your home or paying a warehouse to do it?

3. Do you really want to package and mail dozens or hundreds of boxes to backers? If not, would you consider paying a fulfillment house extra to do it for you?

4. Do you want to make this an ongoing business or is this a one off product? If it is a business, how long would it take you to make another product?

5. How much do you think your kickstarter will raise?

6. Did you budget any of the KS money for your own work?

Thanks, that's pretty helpful. I'm looking into fulfilment houses - certainly that'd make international shipping easier, and probably be a better use of my time that packing and mailing hundreds of boxes. It'll be part of a business - I've already successfully kickstartered one game and published a couple of others, and those have run at enough of a profit that I'd be happy to cover the investment but would like to use Kickstarter to minimise the risk and gauge that there's an actual market for the game before I commit too heavily to it.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Not to mention that a board game KS (Vast I think) recently had to change their name from Trove because that's the name of an MMO.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Today in 'Strange Resurrections of Ancient Licenses', someone is trying to make an SLA Industries miniatures wargame: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darumaproductions/sla-industries-cannibal-sector-1 :confused:

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

glitchkrieg posted:

Is that something to avoid? People at my club are a little excited...

Nah, just was very confused that it was getting a new lease of life. Then again, most everything from the 90s is getting brought back in one form or another these days, so I shouldn't be surprised!

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

What Ho World, my second kickstarter, has just launched: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1549920133/what-ho-world-a-roleplaying-game-of-farce-and-eleg?ref=dtrpg

What Ho World is a roleplaying game set in the breezy 1920s London of P.G. Wodehouse's My Man Jeeves, E.F. Benson's Mapp and Lucia, and musicals like The Gay Divorcee. It's a time of feckless gadabouts enjoying life in jazz clubs, overbearing great-aunts ensnaring their family in their schemes, and surprisingly competent servants devising plans to get their charges out of whatever farce they've got themselves into.

The game itself is meant to be easy to just jump into: it's in the form of a deck of cards that fits into your pocket, setup and character creation is a breeze, and the mechanics guide the story without the need for a GM or any prep. We've been designing and testing it for years now and we're very proud of it.

If any of that sounds interesting, give it a look!

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

That sounds like a lot of fun, and I'll back it. Was interested in getting a physical copy, but the £20 shipping to NZ is a killer.
Will happily grab the PDF though.

Yeah, international shipping small volumes is a bastard. Best I can recommend is seeing if you can get a few other people to go in on the retailer tier, and split the shipping between you. Still, I'll try and investigate better shipping prices.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

Got $197 to spare? Then you can get in on the ground floor of Monte Cook's latest Kickstarter!

:wtc:

The whole thing is mind-boggling, but for some reason the following passage particularly stood out:

"Don’t know anything about historical or modern magical traditions or occult beliefs? That’s okay. In fact it’s great. Because the magic and the occult in Invisible Sun has no ties to any real world beliefs. Monte took literally decades of study in such things—tarot, Kabbalah, Vodun, astrology, numerology, mythology, religion, the Tree of Life, and so on—and built an entirely original occult system for the setting."

So not only is Monte the moon, he's also an expert on literally every kind of occultism and has created a completely original system of magic ex nihilo.

(Also I'm pretty certain that study of the Kabbalah includes the Tree of Life)

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

For the money, I'd want this to be actual video footage of what happens when you open the box.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Mojo Jojo posted:

Isn't it the other way round with cakes and biscuits which led to the legal thing to get Jaffa cakes classified as the biscuits we all know them to be

Nope, they got classed as cakes which allowed them to be 0% VAT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffa_Cakes#Categorisation_as_cake_or_biscuit_for_VAT

Apparently a major plant of the decision was that they harden when stale like a cake, unlike biscuits which soften when stale.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

It may have got eclipsed by Monte Cook's Invisible Sun, but my Kickstarter for What Ho, World! is still plugging along. We're 80% funded now and I've been able to lower international shipping and negotiate a better and bigger game from the printers; if a storytelling game based on Jeeves and Wooster that fits in your pocket sounds at all interesting, check it out!

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

Is that reduction in shipping costs reflected on the main page? I'm interested, but the 15 pounds it's quoting me for shipping to Canada is eye-watering, and the Rest of World shipping update is backers-only.

Sadly, yes. It used to be £20! I'd love to be able to do a two-stage process where I ship all Canada orders to a warehouse then distribute from there (that's how I got US shipping so cheap), but I just don't have the Canadian backers to make that cost effective.

The best I can offer is that it's much cheaper per-unit for me to ship two copies to the same address, so if you have a friend who's interested you can pay half the shipping costs each. Alternatively the game will be available for Print-on-demand purchase from DriveThruCards once finished. Thanks for your interest anyhow!

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

So... I haven't had any emails from Andrew Markham at all. Should I be worried?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Ettin posted:

This seems like a good post to end this on, so I am putting a lid on this for now before you folks start eating each other. Post about Mint Works or Fragged Empires or What Ho, World! or something.

Speaking of What Ho, World!, now that it's funded I'm hoping we can unlock one of the extra settings. I'm pretty partial to Wizards Aren't Gentlemen - something about mad hermits and bound demons feels like it'd work really well with the system. On the other hand mixing Lovecrafty stuff and Wodehouse has a long pedigree - Alan Moore's What Ho, Gods of the Abyss is amazing. Anyone have any ideas of other settings that might work for a game of social obligation and farce?

Weirdly enough it was Mikan's Brighter Than the Sun that started me thinking about an RPG played entirely with a card deck, and eventually lead to What Ho, World! It's a drat shame she's not still around :(

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

The Thin Man/Miss Fisher Mysteries style detective stories seem like at least a viable angle to try. Upper class detectives butting into crimes with charm and a lot of booze.

Ooh, yes. I'd be tempted to try out if we could make that work with the existing character decks and a different set of Assets and Goals, but once you bring in Poirot and Miss Marple too it's definitely a viable angle. Good call on politics too - a Yes, Minister or The Thick of It hack could work pretty well.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

There is no better introduction and the show is probably better than reading the books.

There are also some pretty good audiobooks for the stories too - The Code of the Woosters is one I particularly enjoyed recently. The TV show is really great though!

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Yeah, got mine this morning too. Looks like they might be using a different company for this - I got an email from something called Blackbox instead of Stamps.com (how Gold was shipped to me) so maybe they've taken some of the shipping criticism on board?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's historically- and culturally-appropriate, non-sexualised and applies equally to both genders.

While it's good that the topless women seem culturally in-line with the topless men and aren't particularly sexualised, there are also plenty of male-looking people in full clothing and heavy armour on display and at most one or two women fully-clothed - and that's assuming based on long hair and braids, which given the scandinavian feel could easily be male. It's all well and good to have your topless men and women in equal measure, but if the same doesn't apply at the other end of the spectrum it's still not great.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

What Ho, World! has 4 days left to go! It's coming up to 140% funded, which means we've unlocked:
  • An extra character deck: the Adventurer, a daring explorer somewhere between Indiana Jones and Dixon Bainbridge.
  • A deck size increase, bringing us up to 120 cards.
  • An extra setting: Wizard Aren't Gentlemen brings this system of farce and intrigue to a world of majestic sorcerers, bound demonic servants, and hoarded arcane secrets.
Every backer gets all of the above in digital form, and you can pledge extra to get physical versions sent to you alongside the main deck. The game itself is a very much drifted Powered by the Apocalypse, one-shot, GM-less game that uses card mechanics to handle scene pacing, spotlight sharing, and action resolution and lets you jump straight into a story with zero prep. If you'd like to know how it works, I put up an actual play video on youtube that covers character creation, game setup and a few scenes of the story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIo_N9fhHGI

If any of that tickles your fancy, visit the kickstarter page for more information!

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

I'm in the casual development of a small card game (like lost legacy, love letter, etc) with about 20 cards.

Assuming the production quality is there (I have a network of experienced illustrators from my time in the games industry and can get anywhere from ludicrous talent on down, I've sourced high quality manufacturing, etc), what numbers would you expect as a TG Kickstarter guy?

For an illustrator example, here's a buddy of mine's older work for Cthulu Rising (while I'd love to work with him specifically I'm just providing this as a quality bar example).

My assumption is these prices look very reasonable, but I don't kickstart things any more and I was always a videogames guy (I'm a video game developer by day) and not a TG guy.

My basic kickstarter pricing looks something like this:

$10k-$12k total ask, which ought to cover the bare bones illustration and manufacture to meet kickstarter demand plus some initial storefront inventory, paying myself nothing out of this (I'm handling design, biz, web development / eventual storefront setup, graphic design, and the big one is fulfillment, which is going to be a poo poo ton of free labor and where a lot of my savings are compared to going with a fulfillment center / drop shipper). The bulk of this is paying for a non-poo poo illustrator.

$10 Early Bird single copy of the game, free US shipping (I don't necessarily want to sell outside of the US at this time as international shipping becomes very unpredictable from a cashflow standpoint)

$15 Late Backer single copy of the game, free US shipping

$20 Early Bird 2 copies of the game, free US shipping (2 copies lets you play a mashup variant or gift to a friend)

$25 Late Backer 2 copies of the game, free US shipping

$750 Your Likeness as a card illustration / character design

I might toss some more "more copies of the game at reasonable discount / combined shipping" but I don't feel like a Premium Box Set or T-Shirt With Bullshit On It are exciting offers for an unknown's first game.

Am I in dreamland here or is this cheap enough that you'd back it? Is it too cheap that you'd expect me to fail / the game to be of poor quality? If the total ask was $20k would you feel like I was being more reasonable? Do my tier prices seem out of whack?

Would you pay $20 for one copy of the game at retail, knowing it is only 20 cards + rule cards and a tuck box?

In comparison, lost legacy is MSRP at $10, but it is fewer cards and I won't have their economy of scale. If I did have that I could probably drop the MSRP to closer to $10-$12 instead of $15, but I won't hit that with a kickstarter, because I'd need to scale both manufacturing and distribution which kickstarter numbers won't help me with.

To hit my $10k funding goal I would need to sell 100 early bird copies, 100 dual early bird copies, and about 500 late backer copies. Anyone who bites on the Likeness (which I could possibly drop to $500?) will make a significant dent in those numbers, counting for 75/50 sales.

Any feedback you guys can provide would be super useful.

I'm not worried about the production side in the slightest as making games is kind of what I do, but I'm not sure if this is appealing to the kind of folks who throw money at TG kickstarters.

My goal for this game is not to make money but to rather walk a project through its full paces so I can learn from this for the next game I want to make, which will be much larger in scope as a complex board game and have an ask that is closer to $30k.

My hope is that after 3 games or so I might actually have enough market presence to make non-kickstarter sales on these games that finally start paying me money, until then it will be for The Love Of Games.
On the art side of things I'd say that looks fine - it's actually pretty eye-catching and using a single artist helps maintain a clear and consistent product identity. For a game this size, though, people will focus on rules design over all. Make sure you can communicate what makes your game special quickly and easily.

A good point of reference might be Daniel Solis' recent Pod X kickstarter - that was a 19-card game with a $13 msrp that ended up doing very well. One lessons I'd take from it are to put some option for at least Canadian shipping, even if it's expensive - otherwise you're just leaving money on the table. Also, have a pledge level for digital files - it costs you nothing and allows people to get involved at a lower commitment on their end.

Finally I'd say 10k would look a bit high to me. I'm sure you've done your stats, but with ~$3 shipping and <$2 printing costs per deck you only breaking even at $10k sounds like you're spending a lot on art - at least $6k for 20 pieces and tuckbox art seems a bit over the top. Personally I'd see if I could have simpler but still high-quality illustrations for the cards, and save my big guns for whatever piece you put on the box. As a point of comparison, for What Ho, World! I paid £55 each for the 10 character illustrations and £600 for the box art.

By the way, your friend's art looks great and I have a Cthulhu-y game coming up - do they have a blog or website I can check out?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

I've fulfilled through DriveThru and it was fine, aside from fielding endless requests along the lines of 'I never received a code from DriveThruRPG, can you send it to me again?'

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

potatocubed posted:

I'm preparing to launch my very first Kickstarter -- any chance I could get some folk to skim through it and tell me all the horrible mistakes I'm making?

Pigsmoke Kickstarter Preview

Have you considered putting in a hardcover tier? It might be good to have something in the gap between £10 and £30, and I found with Legacy people were very happy to bump up to Hardcover. Out of interest, what size is the book? Digest, letter, something else?

Also, do you have any other art to spruce up the KS page with? With just the cover image and the school shield it looks a little sparse. Even a few sample layout images if you have them would go a long way I think.

e: Oh, and if you haven't already I'd strongly consider recording some actual play of the game - even a few short scenes can do a lot to sell the game to people.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I was thinking about doing this with the next kickstarter but i couldn't figure out how to make it work with DriveThru - since DriveThru handles the printing I couldn't find a way to justify charging more on my end for a book with pretty much the same content.

Up to you I suppose, but if you're up front with the backers about the costs involved it should be fine. In my case I had 90 people pay £12 now / £4 later + shipping for the softcover and 66 pay £16 now/£7 later + shipping for the hardcover - people are often willing to pay a bit extra to get something nicer, even when they know it's not the best value for money.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The Monsterhearts 2 Kickstarter is live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/averyalder/monsterhearts-2?token=d5a42e2a

It's not particularly specific about what will change from the 1st edition, but I trust Avery as a designer and it sounds like she's committed to dealing with the 1st edition's issues and bringing it up to the state of the art re: inclusivity and player safety.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Came back a page later from it being linked hoping people were talking about if that Edge KS was good or bad. :(

If it helps I just got my pledge from their last kickstarter (awakened realms terrain) and it's super disappointing. Bubbles, voids and prominent mold lines as far as the eye can see. Not sure of it's even going to be worth the effort of cleaning them up instead of tossing them.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

I've read Alas Vegas through carefully now and I'm really stoked to run this. I'm wary of overhyping poo poo I like, and there's a good number of things in the game that ring my personal bell (Vegas, tarot, magical realism, Tim Powers' Last Call, Hunter S Thompson, swanky lounge music). Even separating that from the rest of the game, the story is great and the structure of the narrative is goddamned near perfect.

I wish the Kickstarter didn't happen like it did and he was finished with the game before he ran it, but the end product far exceeded my expectations of what I'd get when I backed it. And that's tough because as a creative, I know what it's like to go for months at a stretch and not work on a project for all kinds of reasons - but that's also why I've learned never to give deadlines I can't make, or to try to sell stories or games before they're finished.

All that aside, I cannot loving wait to run this game, and I really hope my gaming group goes for the "let's get a suite in real Las Vegas for a weekend of gaming" route. Even if I never run it and just read it a few times, I feel like I got way more than my money's worth in fun and inspiration.

I've read through the flashback and conflict resolution rules and the first act, and it was certainly pretty promising. Have you had a look through the other three acts, then? If so, how much flex would you say there is in the narrative? Is it pretty railroady, or is there some opportunity for it to twist based on the character's actions? I'm a little worried from what I've read so far that it's mostly about soaking in the ambience of the place and the story rather than being the protagonist of a plot.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Fair enough! Is the rotating GM thing important to the game? From act 1 it seemed mainly used to set up some sleight of hand around player expectations and ensure plot details aren't spoiled before their time.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Is there anyone in the UK or EU who hasn't received their Apocalypse World 2e books yet? I'm in the UK and still haven't gotten my softcover.

On the UK, no book yet for me either.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Covok posted:

Any good trpg KS other than the Watch?

Also, am I wrong in feeling the female and queer representation in the Watch feels tacked on. Like I know I'm opening myself up to an arguement, but, as a bi man, I always felt works that said they'd representing us somewhat lackluster in that aspect. Like, I don't know exactly what I want, but I always preferred how AW did it were it was just there as an option with no comment. Making a big deal out it always felt like it was sayinf we were not normal, you know? Like that it was special and they deserve reward for doing what should just be expected.

I mean it was written from the ground up to be about female and femme non-binary folks fighting an evil darkness that corrupts men - that's a super core part of the game. I was listening to a podcast with Anna Krieder last week and she was saying it was also her attempt to make a standard military low fantasy war story than centered women, as in her experience those stories were normally 100% male - maybe you're seeing the war element overriding the representation element?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

As far as I can tell nothing, but there's nothing really wrong with making money off games for moms. Now if Munchkin failing would get a new Illuminati edition printed then death to Munchkin, but I doubt that is a real possibility.

Yeah, the truth is that Kickstarter can simultaneously act as a preorder store for one project and a lifeline for another without either getting harmed. In fact big publishers using KS normally end up increasing the number of people using the site and checking out other projects. I guess I just don't get what damage people think projects like this are doing.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Axiom die roll mechanic is bad, IMO. Real bad. Like, worse than original Storyteller bad. Really appallingly head-scratchingly bad.

I tried to read through their rules document and it was just completely impenetrable. Kinda ironic that a system that starts out with 'this is really simple and perfect for a one-shot' then goes on to exhaustively detail all manner of mechanics for 30+ pages on a horrible wrinkled paper background.

And then, to top it off, the back cover has a warning that 'this game contains scenes of explicit gore and existential truth'
Link for the interested.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Speaking of stuff showing up, "What Ho World" is now in my possession. Very nicely produced, the artwork really works on the cards.

Very excited to see it arriving in people's hands - I even got my first play report of it in the wild yesterday! Physical printing and shipping rather than print-on-demand had its headaches, but I think the end version is really worth it.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What I'm learning is if you're running a Kickstarter and one guy is promising everything is on schedule but can't get you proof for more than, say, a week....fire his rear end.

Also if you're going to be doing all the writing for a Kickstarter and someone else is handling the fulfillment, HOLY poo poo DO NOT pay them $1000 for the privelege. Really, you should get your share of the money as soon as you turn your text in, but my god that looks like it was a shady arrangement.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

My copies of "What Ho, World" and "Wizard's Aren't Gentlemen" have arrived! They look wonderful, can't wait to try them out.

Nice! Hope you have a great time with them. We're just putting the finishing touches to the Adventurer expansion so that should be with you soon. And then begin work on The Butler on the Threshold...

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I apologise if you're part of the team or something, but this looks horribly generic.

Ah yes, that's the one people pointed out managed to have no non-white people whatsoever in its art. Pretty sure someone came into the thread saying that was a mistake they were going to correct, but that doesn't seem to have happened on their KS page.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Well gently caress. While looking for the Eclipse Phase Second edition I saw this game, Sigil and Sign, Lovecraft mythos game where you are the cultists. I have literally always wanted that game, and it finally exists. My wallet is gonna take a pounding. May have to say goodbye to my Talislanta pledge.

It was looking good up until I saw it was running on Mark Rein*Hagen's Axiom system, which is... not good. Like, makes oWoD look good levels of wonkyness. I'd really recommend you read up the Axiom system rules document on MBG's website before pledging too heavily. That, or just get the setting book, as the art looks lovely.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

obviously I hosed it posted:

This looks so freaking cool to me. Lovecraft *and* you get to be a 'bad guy'. WHat's not to love?

Mostly the fact it runs on Mark Rein*Hagen's absolutely atrocious Axiom system? Seriously, I'd recommend reading through the basic system on Make Believe Games' website before you put any money toward this.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Newp, it does not run on his.

It's the 2.0 version of it.

Given that the Kickstarter page points you to this page to learn more about the game's system, can you expand on what it does differently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Aha, see, the page it points to doesn't say a word about S&S running under the same version as a previous game.
In fact, all the information released to date -- including the sample cards put there for all to see on that same KS page, not to mention in comments to backers -- indicates that S&S is the evolution of that base system, and that C.A. Suleiman has streamlined and improved Axiom considerably.
Psych! I'm really digging it.

Yes, silly me for using the system preview linked on the KS page as a preview of the system. Truly, I have been psyched.