Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

jivjov posted:

Huh? The FFG Star Wars rules set is phenomenal and the best RPG system that Star Wars has ever had.

This is not actually mutually exclusive with it being bad for playing Star Wars, mind you, in a damning with faint praise way. (But yeah generally my experience is otherwise.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I unjokingly would really like to see Star Wars run with Spirit of '77, but I'm perhaps unique in that.

One of the first setups I did for my Spirit of '77 group was Star Wars Wars, which wasn't so much a Star Wars game as it was "Repo Man, but the macguffin is a mysterious sealed package delivered to the local drive-in labeled "ILM" that may or may not have a working lightsaber in it."

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So my backer copies of Majestic 12 and Bubblegumshoe arrived today. So much reading to do.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm tentatively interested, but I'd have to check out the preview first. I already have Mutant Future so ...

I'm waiting to see if the dude has a big meltdown over how bad and evil Gamma World 7th was to go along with the burning 4E in effigy thing.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

What's Majestic 12?

Sourcebook for Atomic Robo for doing Top Men making Top decisions about Tesla tech.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The Runequest Classic books have gone out, and are the most ridiculous over-engineered wrapping ever, since they came in a mailing envelope inside a box, inside bubblewrap inside a slightly larger box.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Ettin posted:

Diaz has also decided to take a month off from work but still collect Patreon donations before. Swell guy!

They did, it was just really bad and nobody watched it. :v:

Honestly I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been a big tabletop Kickstarter for a game about Those Dang SJWs yet. I think various OSR people making GBS threads themselves about Feminists Online to drum up book sales proves there's a market for it even in niche spaces. Someone with actual followers launching a Kickstarter for The Free Speech Teen Panties RPG could make some mad bank.

Wasn't the GOR rpg kickstarter supposed to be their rallying cry and it was more like a toot on a kazoo?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Caedar posted:

Prepare to get rekt, A Distant Plain.

So rekt, the funding was canceled a day ago, apparently?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Flavivirus posted:

Speaking of What Ho, World!, now that it's funded I'm hoping we can unlock one of the extra settings. I'm pretty partial to Wizards Aren't Gentlemen - something about mad hermits and bound demons feels like it'd work really well with the system. On the other hand mixing Lovecrafty stuff and Wodehouse has a long pedigree - Alan Moore's What Ho, Gods of the Abyss is amazing. Anyone have any ideas of other settings that might work for a game of social obligation and farce?

The Thin Man/Miss Fisher Mysteries style detective stories seem like at least a viable angle to try. Upper class detectives butting into crimes with charm and a lot of booze.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

Heard of Yes, Minister but what is The Thick of It?

What's a good entry into Jeeves and Wooster for someone who has never read them?

Well, Hulu's got 4 seasons of the ITV series based on the books, with Fry as Jeeves and Laurie as Bertie.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Other way around: As mentioned, Drakar och Demoner started as a BRP adaptation, which means Runequest, which means berserker death and war ducks.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

They really need to just ask themselves "Can the player, in this game engine, swing from a chandelier?" If the answer is no, start again.

Why would they start making it easy for players to swing off chandeliers in a 7th-sea derived game now?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The Origin corebook is sort of meant to be useful for playing sort of 'generic urban fantasy' in the Scion setting, which was absolutely a thing people wanted in 1E for some reason?

The basic rule framework for Sardonyx/Storypath/whatever the system is called now seems solid enough, but we'll see what scion-specific tweaks do, I guess.

One change I've heard is that the Greek pantheon ability isn't being generically really good at skills, but is instead called "Metamorphosis" and presumably is about turning yourself into swans or bulls or whatever.

(Also you can basically play Galatea as a Scion- someone who was created instead of being the result of divine/mortal banging.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Desiden posted:

So, I only ever half read the original scion corebook. Is "the World" they talk about as a setting distinct from just being the modern world with gods and stuff influencing things behind the scenes? It sounded like there were some differences from the modern world, people generally believing more in things that go bump in the night, yadda yadda. My vague recollection of the old core was that it was one of those "just like our world, but with all this hidden stuff just out of sight". Did that change or get expanded on somehow?

There was an open development thing on it a while back.

http://theonyxpath.com/the-world-scion-second-edition-open-development/

SO basically Kinda yes/kinda no.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 22, 2016

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The real problem with a police procedural game is collecting enough head shots of moderately recognizable character actors to be the criminal of the week.

"poo poo, he's played by Francis Capra? Well, that puts him at the top of the suspect list."

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

This Shintiara RPG looks weird. I cannot decide whether 20 years of thought is a big good sign or red flag.

Any time it opens with "I've been working on this for X decades" it's a big red flag. Like that is not a selling point.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Man, at this point I expect to see Powerchords come back from the dead and deliver before Far West.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I got the same thing. The only thing I can think of is that since Kobold Press prints stuff for 13th age it's because of that.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I think it'd end up being a lot of "Oh wow look at this game promising 30 classes and 2 dozen races, no alignment to restrict you and a realistic combat system because the creator has only played AD&D 1st for the last 30 years and never looked at other games before trying to kickstart his houserules"

And there's only so many of those each week.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So apparently the next game from Monkeyfun studios (The creators of Spirit of '77 aka the source of my avatar pic) I honestly figured that Bucnasti would have come by to tell everyone about already! But look!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monkeyfunstudios/bedlam-hall-a-macabre-victorian-role-playing-game

The setting pitch is Addams Family meets Downton Abbey, which basically sounds perfect for Dark Shadows.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 14, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Godbound's Facts are basically aspects+13th age backgrounds anyway, given they give a bonus to attribute checks where they're applicable and give permissions for related minor special abilities. Like "Spend a fact, be a lesser magic archmage or Ancalian Knight-Lord" or whatever.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So Pinnacle just announced it's first delayed physical shipment...ever, I think? It turns out their distribution warehouse is Knoxville, TN which is currently in the middle of a flu outbreak bad enough that they're closing local schools and it made national news, which is both totally understandable and also awful for the workers+ families.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Gonna set a reminder for that, my kickstarter budget took a hit because I went in hard on...uh, Dusk City Outlaws at the last minute after learning they got John Rogers -and- Scott Lynch to do contributing stuff.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Jedit posted:

Scott Lynch comes out of the RPG community. He's a friend of the people who did the famous FATAL review. Nice to see he hasn't forgotten his roots.

And John Rogers is such a nerd that the last series he worked on, he named the main character's shadowy mission-giving employer "Mr. Johnson"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

Their Infinity team hit a real set of snags. They ended up with way more stretch goals than they could realistically support, I recall there being some staff turnover and accidents that delayed things, and Corvus Belli are pretty controlling with their license, so everything's having to go through their ~*lore wizard*~ for approval, which means a hell of a lot of drafts and delays.

Like, the thing's gonna come out, and they've been working on it since the funding campaign ended, but it's gonna be really late. Some people hate this, some people don't care.

Yeah, I remember seeing that they had to redo an entire section of the corebook at some point because they accidentally contradicted information the Corvus Belli Lore guy had not seen fit to give them and that had not yet appeared in any published source for Infinity, so they literally had no way of knowing that it was wrong.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Man, now I kind of want to do an extruded fantasy product setting that uses Loresheets ala WOTG/Legends of the Wulin. Let people buy in to the stuff that's relevant and otherwise it doesn't come up.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

DigitalRaven posted:

I picked up the Iron Kingdoms RPG. The setting chapter started with a bunch of ancient pre-history. I sold the loving thing on. If I can't use it in play, it should die in a fire.

That may have been a driving goal behind W20 Shattered Dreams.

See, I kind of appreciated Iron Kingdoms because while, yeah, it had a bunch of pre-history and a timeline up front:

It explicitly didn't do "Everything's been the same technology wise for the last several thousand years because of magic"

It also didn't do the thing where you need to divide the scale of years everything happens on by 10-100.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That's kind of how I already run 13th Age so far. Nobody's playing a dwarf or has the Dwarf King as a connection? No need for bearded shorties. Nobody's got a connection to the Three? Well, maybe the Three just isn't a thing.

Yeah, I mostly just mean take it a step further and have all the little history segments offer mechanical and/or plot engagement, Like, okay, so you buy the lore about ancient wizarding empires with castles in the sky. This unlocks options like "SECRETS OF THE CLOUDCHITECTS" where you learn how to manufacture lighter-than-air fortifications, and meanwhile Bob's invested in the Elf-Dwarf conflict and has "STAR-CROSSED DESTINY" and is due to fall in love with an elf whose family doesn't approve.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

potatocubed posted:

I really like this idea?

Are you likely to do anything with it? (Because if not, I might.)

Go for it! I just like the mechanic from the two games that had it and want to see it used more.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Appears they've sorted out the shipping issues for Blue Rose, as my physical book arrived today and I have since statted up a dashing telepathic crocodile spy.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Man, why would you do a Deadly Premonition Board game that doesn't have "Horror Movie Trivial Pursuit" as a gameplay mode.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Oh, they changed the name? Last I heard it was going to be Fragged Kingdom.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

In at the 3 PDF level for Expanded Fragging, though hopefully I'll have the option to upgrade in the backerkit later, as the books are really pretty. Just not the funds available before the kickstarter ends.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Peas and Rice posted:

If you enjoy the campaign focus of Pendragon but want a slightly different setting, Paladin uses the Pendragon system and places the game in Carolingian Europe. It's also only $15 to grab a PDF of what looks like a massive, beautiful book.

I've been wanting a Carolingian equivalent of Pendragon for literal years since basically the first long-form fantasy book I ever read had a whole section based on the Orlando Furioso. Definitely backed.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Honestly the best version of that power is the one that showed up in Double Cross DX, just because the terrible pun name they gave it was -perfect-.

"Offensive Language".

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

My group's trying out dread this next weekend and I'm trying to see if I can somehow fit in the concept of laying down sick burns as a character in that game. I also fear the inevitable failure of laying down said burns resulting in me having to pull from the tower.

If you make the tower collapse with your sick burn, it's retroactively a self-own.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Gonna be honest, I've been playing RPGs in different venues since before Drow PCs were even a thing and literally never seen someone roll up with a Drizzt clone either, just people reflexively cringing at the idea that it -might- happen.

Next PC, Drow who dual-wields killing words.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 27, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Obviously.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I think my favorite weird bit for Spellbound kingdoms is it going out of its way to make equipment matter as much for social stuff as it does for regular combat. You've got a nice dress and a really good fan to flick around so you can add nuance to what you say with fan language? It's like having a sword and armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Ouch, that campaign really stalled out.

I actually had forgotten I'd pledged for it. I'm keeping that pledge, but wow.

I think a lot of folks were mad about the extra chapter PDF thing modeled after Deluxe BITD's thing and he didn't want to go back on it.