Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Lemon-Lime posted:

How much of a badly broken mess is the Cavaliers system? Because I love planetary romance.

IIRC the early playtests were using Wushu, so if it doesn't stray far from that it can't get too broken just because there wouldn't be enough there to break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

dwarf74 posted:

That was The Strange, iirc

No, Numenera had the Beanstalk and the 'it's not a racial slur' defense. The Strange had Thunder Plains! The world of stereotyped Hollywood Native Americans that were mostly not even real people. (Less real people on that reality than the the reality full of talking cartoon disney crows or whatever the hell it was.)

They -grudgingly admitted that was a bad idea and supposedly hired the Ehdrigor guy to write something not poo poo to replace it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So one of the people working on Khitai is at the Dungeon Elementary guy, who, if nothing else, at least lives and works in Korea, IIRC.

http://dungeon-elementary.tumblr.com/ posted:

Dungeon Elementary has started a new season for the fall. We’re playing Blades in the Dark, and yes I’m actually going to post this year. The kids are losing patience with the dearth of Internet ridicule they have received. But if you’re wondering why I’ve been distracted, here’s your answer.

I’m one of the lead developers for Khitai, 7th Sea’s Asian/Pacific setting. In addition to paying for my continued survival, Khitai takes Asian, Oceanian, and Pacific Islander representation to new places. It’s got samurai and horse-lords and Buddhist monks, yeah, but you can also play as in-setting equivalents of Moro pirates in the Sultanate of Sulu, revolting slaves in Joseon Korea, and god-kings mounted on three-headed elephants in the former Khmer Empire, to name but a few. Some of the times and places we spotlight have never appeared in tabletop gaming before. Others are more familiar, but have never had an Asian developing them at this scale before. So identity-wise, this game means a great deal to me. It’s the game I wish I’d found as a lonely Pinoy middle schooler rooting around in the bookstore’s RPG section.

I’m really excited about this project, and the level of creative control John Wick has granted me here. I’m more than happy to answer questions about the game, although I caution anyone asking that my answers are on the “musings at the bar” level and are not to be taken as binding. If it’s financially viable for you to do so, backing this project would mean a lot to me—and even if not, I’d be grateful for your support and interest. Also, please re-share this post if you can! Maybe it’ll mean something to someone you know, the way it means something to me.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

On a non- "Who's more racist" tangent my favorite weird Howard and Lovecraft trivia is how blatantly Red Sonya of Rogatino (As opposed to the comic character) was weird fanfiction about Lovecraft's wife written after their divorce.

Both were Ukrainian.

The name (Red Sonya, Sonia Green.)

Red Sonya spends most of the story she originally appears dragging the male lead out of trouble his mouth gets him into. Which is pretty accurate to Lovecraft and Sonia Greene's relationship.

It's like "Wow, you put up with him for way longer than I thought, have a sword and an adventure"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

At least barring a name that has a rep for delivery, like Onyx Path or...um...I dunno, maybe Evil Hat.

Pinnacle, who the one time they were late on delivery it was because their warehouse was completely unmanned due to a literal epidemic, not due to not having the books. (And they still delivered the PDFs on time or a little early)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I liked the intro video for Greg Stolze's Nain which just creative commons music over woodcut art and a little kid saying "But I don't want to go with the wizards" but you know that kind of sums up the setting so.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It flagged for me too, but fortunately Wade was awake and just let me pay him via paypal directly and adjusted the backerkit backend somehow so it's not trying to charge me anymore.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It's probably Stripe loving up again. (The backerkit/kickstarter credit card back end.) It's apparently been extra tetchy for a lot of folks purchasing stuff in foreign currency lately.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Also the core rulebook actually gave you an option to send it to someone else in backerkit, so you may have done that and forgotten about it if, like me, you already had a copy.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I wonder if we have enough goons who own the game to get a PBP going in TG. I've been contemplating how to do it for a while.

If nothing else, it's pretty easy to get going with the random chargen.

http://conan.modiphiusapps.hostinguk.org/

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

And then there's the trickster, who seems to have been made purposefully bad as a joke. (Though it does suggest just reskinning the Chaos Mage for a focused, less comedy option Eurmalite.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Steampunk literally started as a joke because like Tim Powers and a couple other folks were publishing stuff set in the 1800s in the same sci-fi/fantasy magazines that early cyberpunk started in and someone in a letters column was like "Haha, what do we call this anyway, Steampunk?"

The Difference Engine was basically taking that joke and running with it, and then most stuff after that was people missing the joke entirely.

Airship Pirates is all about fighting the Neo-Victorian Man, and is also weirdly self-aware in that the horrible society was in-setting created by letting Steampunk nerds get a time machine and try to reshape history to their aesthetic whim. (Sadly, it also shares a system with Victoriana.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

He's reporting and threatening legal action against commenters, so you're not wrong.

No, no, McCraken only -witnessed- a shooting and blamed the victim? Or something.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The new Fragged Empire kickstarter just launched, featuring a short PDF-only supplement for piloting giant gasoline powered robots in a war-torn land. It'll also add mecha rules for the base game to the Fragged Empire: Hacked sourcebook. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wadedyer/fragged-dieselpunk-mecha-rpg

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

By all accounts he had the core draft pretty much done and the Kickstarter was primarily for the sake of being able to devote some time to fleshing it out a bit and adding art. It's still a surprisingly fast turnaround all things considered and it sounds like he may run more of these mini-projects in the future.

Yeah, you could basically watch the development happen on the Fragged Discord; he was originally just going to toss it up on drivethru with no kickstarter but folks convinced him to let them throw more money at it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Didn't Noir World actually deliver on the PDFs, at least? I could swear I read them a while back.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

They're in Backerkit digital downloads, not as DTRPG codes.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Kamigakari has 5 days left and has reached its last stretch goal- I don't know that they'll be adding any more, since they specifically mention not wanting to overreach, but they'll be translating and doing both sourcebooks as well now, complete with new pledge tiers that add PDF+POD options for either just the first sourcebook or both.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Bargles and Barbells, a rewrite of the old basic set solo adventure.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I'm on the fence (mostly because the Aysle KS for TORG Eternity just went live and I saw it first) but it is nice that some of them seem to be wearing superhero costumes. Also I doubt we'll get a 'You're Not The Avengers' sidebar which still irritates me to think about even as I know somebody always brings it up when Aberrant is mentioned. (In this case me.)

To be fair a lot of the people in costumes are the same folks who wore them in 1st ed! It's just that Aberrant wanted to pretend really hard that this wasn't because they were superheroes, those outfits were special materials so they wouldn't be naked when using their powers, it was just practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

If it's anything like the early drafts the conceit is a Falkensteinian "This was written by a local monk in period who was sucking up to the Saxons so they wouldn't sack the monastery"