Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Echophonic posted:

I was kind of intrigued by the KS for The Magnus Archives RPG, but it's Cypher and they want 75 United States dollary-doos for a hardback. Is Cypher actually any good?

Realtalk? Not really. Unlike the board game flop upthread, Monte Cook Games at least delivers on their projects, but the Cypher system is eminently forgettable and I don't think a single game made using it has ever actually been good. People made fun of Invisible Sun for its overwrought plastic tchotchkes but when you dug beneath all of that stuff what you found was a game that squandered every halfway interesting concept it might have brought up mixed with a lot of boring generic stuff.

Also, as someone who actually listened to the entire Magnus Archives podcast: I really fail to see what meat on the bone there is for an RPG that isn't just yet another paranormal investigatory RPG, of which plenty already exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
All of this seems like a really good way to get put on some sort of "do not license your IP to these guys" blacklist.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

malkav11 posted:

Why is that a red flag? That's what most of the major VTTs do as far as I know?

Making a combo VTT/storefront as a stretch goal for your D&D heartbreaker is like when people used to talk up their RPG as the start of a "transmedia empire" in that A). it's putting the cart before the horse, and B). it's way easier said than done. Like I guess it's not as outlandish as the people who used to try and kickstart their dream MMO project for $50,000 because hey, how hard can it be, but it strikes me as an extremely weird overreach-y pivot to go from "I'm making a pretty conventional TRPG" to "and for my next trick I'm going to make an entire digital toolset marketplace ecosystem for it."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also I guess I'm curious what about this game merits having its own customized VTT instead of just using Roll20 or Foundry, like I'm skeptical that the experience is so incredibly unique that it needs a bespoke virtual tabletop system to handle it all.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Of all the things anyone could say about a game, "it's laser focused at delivering a specific experience" is like the least worrying thing I can imagine. That's what more things should be like!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

armorer posted:

The creator's website is https://nftskyway.com/, which has a whole bunch of stuff about gamified sustainable living on the landing page, and then is seemingly an NFT sales site if you go to the "explore" page.

It's been pointed out that if you go to the About Us section of the website, none of the social media links work, the pictures are stolen from stock art, and the names change each time you reload the page.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ravenkult posted:

Someone please explain the money laundering aspect because that project gave me a headache. 1 mil raised in 12 hours, hundreds of people pledging upwards of five grand for a lovely CCG? What's the play exactly?

People pledge to their own kickstarter. KS takes the pledges, takes their cut, and then gives the creators back their "funding."

They don't even seem to be acting all that subtle about it, as people have noted similarities between profile icons of high-tier backers and those of people involved in the game's creation.
https://twitter.com/ComradeIshmael/status/1786796532437545159

Notably, backing your own Kickstarter is explicitly against the platform's rules: https://help.kickstarter.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005139773-Can-I-pledge-to-my-own-project

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Azubah posted:

Lol since when has KS given a drat about their own policies.

I mean pretty much never, though this is arguably one of the more blatant examples of a highly suspicious project getting a pass in recent memory (they're bragging about being funded in 26 seconds, a thing that is definitely extremely normal and doesn't raise any red flags).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"RADICAL TRANSPARENCY" followed by "this update is for backers only" is extremely funny, I'll give them that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
They're already pivoting to "we're gonna stand up to this tyranny by establishing our project elsewhere, join our discord for more details!" so it's not like this has really put an end to things, I'm sure we'll be hearing about this in a year or so after the Indiegogo campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TheDiceBagLady posted:

It's so weird, where did all the mega fans come from?

Two things:

1). The creators' previous projects have been crypto and NFT schemes, which are the perfect place for rounding up dumb suckers with more money than sense. It's unsurprising that a game all but billing itself as a hot investment you should get in on the ground floor of now now now (we will NEVER reprint these cards!!! You can get your own exclusive IP rights to characters!!!) that's slathered in the latest genAI bullshit would attract similar diehard dumbasses.

2). That said, there's a lot to suggest that a bunch of the backers are actually just multiple accounts being used to juice the numbers, including some of the creators involved just directly funding it as well. The reasons for doing this can range from making the project look more successful than it actually is to pull in more backers via a hype train to actual literal money laundering. The comments section is like half love-bombing that sounds like people reading off a script and half some guy named Anthony Pavelich who's replying to everyone who posts anything even vaguely skeptical with some of the worst attempts to "own them" I've ever read.

Also this confirms that the reason the project is being shut down, per Kickstarter, is the inclusion of NFTs: https://boardgamewire.com/index.php...n-over-nft-use/